• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

differential backup

How can I run a differential backup to my external hard drive using Norton backup.  This would reduce the overall backup run time.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: differential backup

Hi BourneDyke,

First, some of the terminology surrounding backups can be confusing and sometimes used imprecisely; e.g. differential backup, incremental backup, cumulative incremental, differential incremental.

Let me just give you my observations of how Norton Backup works by default.

Once you complete the initial full backup, the next run will only back up files which are new or have changed. This makes for much faster subsequent backup runs; their duration should only be a fraction of the time compared to the initial full backup.

Also, Norton does keep a limited number of versions of each file, but it does not delete files which you may have deleted from your computer or have renamed since the full backup.

I hope that helps.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Following up on this answer, I'm used to having Norton Ghost create a new full backup (restore point) weekly and incremental backups daily, saving the last three sets. Your reply describes how Norton Backup works "by default" -- is there an option to do what Norton Ghost has been doing?

Kudos0

There are no options for the backup feature of Norton Security. Once you set up the backup set, the backup is just run the way the developers decided it should.  See Phil_D's post above on how the backups behave.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Got it -- thanks. Can you think of any reason I shouldn't just keep using Ghost? I was only exploring the idea of using the backup feature in Norton Security if it might run faster.

Kudos2 Stats

rbenton:

Got it -- thanks. Can you think of any reason I shouldn't just keep using Ghost? I was only exploring the idea of using the backup feature in Norton Security if it might run faster.

Other than it was EOL (End of Life) in 2013, I can't think of any reason.    https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-ghost-has-been-discontinued

And Norton Security's backup feature is not a full system backup. You can only backup data. There are other disk imaging products out there. I use the free version of Macrium Reflect.

Kudos1 Stats

Hell -- a lot of people have thought I looked like I was EOL! But, since I'm a dinosaur still plodding along with Windows 7, I guess I may as well keep using Ghost while I still can. Thanks! Also thanks for the suggestion of Macrium -- I was looking at AOMEI but not excited about what I was seeing.

Kudos0

There are a number of us dinosaurs using Windows 7.  It's a solid platform and I plan to keep using it until next year when it goes EOL.

Since I'm on the computer for a good part of the day, I enjoy having a pleasant display including the aero transparency and (gasp!) desktop gadgets.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

And some dinosaurs have gone to the dark side. Yes, I have moved on to Win 10. Although I no longer set the OS to accept the 'feature updates' as soon as they come out. I do not need the latest and greatest when the old has proven to work well.

Kudos0

Thanks, both of you! By the way, Peter, I also show my age by having a Windows phone, currently running 8.1. I'm entitled to a free upgrade to 10, but have been reluctant to give up what's working. Thoughts?

Kudos0

Sorry. No experience with Windows mobile OS's. Best to just do some searching on that.

Kudos0

Good idea