• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Internet Security hangs and scan does not complete

Hi,

For the last couple of days Norton hangs on a folder/file for hours and would not complete scan. I ran Norton in Safe Mode and there was no problem. The scan was complete and nothing found. If I put in on Pause it would also go for hours. If I stop it it would go also for hours without stopping. The close window does not work. Diagnostics does not find anything. I have the latest version 22.16.3.4.  I also did a Scan disk for errors and nothing was found.

I would appreciate if you can solve this problem for me.

Thank you,

Amelia

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Internet Security hangs and scan does not complete

Hello

Don't know if you made a typo or not, but the latest version is 22.16.3.21

Have a Nice Day and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.4.15 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome
Kudos0

Yes, it is  type- o. Have version 22.16.3.21. I just did a scan with the Norton Eraser with root kit. Found a couple of things and fixed them. I am doing another scan right now to see if that fixed the problem.

Kudos0

If the Power Eraser 'fixes' does not solve the issue, go into Norton Settings - Anti Virus and the Scans and Risks tab and turn off the Compressed files scan option. Your system will not be vulnerable from this as those compressed files would be scanned when they are accessed.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I just checked and the scan finished perfectly. YAY!!!! I guess the couple of things that the Power Eraser took care of solved the problem.

Thank you!!!!

Amelia

Kudos0

Hi Amylogamy:

If your problem returns, please note that there is a a known issue where scans will fail on some systems, and Norton currently suspects that the problem is related to their exploit protection feature.  See Norton employee Sunil_GA's 16-Jan-2019 post in davey00's thread Quick scan. error 8504,5.  The PEP (Proactive Exploit Prevention) setting Sunil_GA is referring to in that thread is found at Settings | Exploit Prevention | General Settings | Exploit Prevention.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1.8

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

Thank you for the information. I am doing another scan right now and see what happens.

Amy

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

You were right. The scan is stuck again. I have disabled the Pep as suggested. The worst thing is that the scan never stops even though I have stopped it. It goes into pausing for hours and would not let me turn off the computer normally. Because this program is running on the background it goes into the computer blue screen that says Shutting Off computer but it never shuts off. I have to manually turn off the computer from the tower. I have a Dell Inspiron desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on it. it sucks. I hope Norton figures this out soon!!!!!!

Amy

Kudos1 Stats

Amylogamy:

...The scan is stuck again. I have disabled the Pep as suggested. The worst thing is that the scan never stops even though I have stopped it. It goes into pausing for hours and would not let me turn off the computer normally.... I have a Dell Inspiron desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on it

Hi Amylogamy:

See rick17's 16-Jan-2019 Messages of Attack Exploit and Quick Scan Crashes for another thread on this topic.  Norton employee Torrey Umland posted <here> in that thread that "Symantec engineering teams are currently investigating this."  I haven't seen any official confirmation yet that Exploit Prevention is the cause of this bug (although it seems to be the most likely culprit), so let us know if your scans continue to hang and cause system shut down errors after Exploit Prevention is disabled and your system is re-booted.

... I just did a scan with the Norton Eraser with root kit. Found a couple of things and fixed them...

For future reference, you might also want to read the warnings about using Norton Power Eraser (NPE) in Calvin5's thread iqvw64e.sys Identified as a ThreatThe NPE is a very aggressive scanner that will sometimes flag legitimate programs for removal (including important Windows system files and registry entries), and a few months ago many users with Dell computers reported that NPE removed the Intel Network Adapter Diagnostic Driver iqvw64e.sys and corrupted their Dell Support Assistant.  Most users in this forum generally advise against using the NPE for routine scanning, and I usually recommend Malwarebytes Free for running second-opinion scans to look for threats that might have been missed by a Norton Full System Scan.  As SendOfJive noted in Calvin5's thread:

"One thing to keep in mind is that NPE does not positively detect known malware - that is the job of your regular Norton Security product.  NPE instead looks for files that might warrant investigation if you suspect that you are infected and regular scans come up clean.  NPE will flag many legitimate files, so never assume that what NPE finds is truly malicious."

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * NS Deluxe v22.15.1.8 * MB v3.5.1-1.0.365

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

So, I am running Norton Internet Security with the Exploit Prevention off and it is stuck again. I going to have to stop Norton for a while until until this issue is solved. It is really frustrating because it affecting my computer by not being able to shut it down properly. Even if I do Control+Alt Delete, it would not let me shut down Norton. If Norton is running in the background the computer would not shut down. I did another NPE  Scan and nothing came up so there is nothing to worry that I removed something important on the computer. I have the paid version of Malware-bytes and it doesn't find anything. By the way I have done the Norton scan on Safe Mode both with the network and without it and it works fine. No hanging. One thing that I have not tried is removing Norton and reinstalling it. I just want to go through the hassle if it not going to work because it is a bug that Norton has to fix.

Could you please let me know if there is solution to this problem in the future. I have been using Norton for years and it has gotten to be pretty expensive so I want it to work properly and be protected for the money that I am paying.

Amy

Kudos1 Stats

Hi @Amylogamy,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. Can you please provide below details for further investigation? 

- Please confirm System and Norton Version details
   Norton 22.16.3.21
   Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
- "Norton hangs on a folder/file for hours"
    - Do you see same issue with both Quick Scan and Full System Scan?
    - Does scan stops at same file/folder every time when scan is performed?
    - Can you please post a screenshot of Scan struck at one particular file/folder
    - Do you have any other security product installed on your computer
    - "Compressed File Scan" option enabled? Can you please test run scan with "Compressed File Scan" option disabled and provide the scan status?

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Amylogamy:
...I have the paid version of Malware-bytes and it doesn't find anything. By the way I have done the Norton scan on Safe Mode both with the network and without it and it works fine. No hanging....
Sunil_GA:
... Do you have any other security product installed on your computer....

Hi Amylogamy:

I don't want to interfere with troubleshooting now that Norton employee Sunil_GA has entered your thread to provide assistance, but just wanted to add a comment about Malwarebytes Premium.

If you open Malwarebytes and go to Settings | About, does it show that you have Malwarebytes version v3.6.1.2711 with the latest Component Package version 1.0.527 (released 21-Jan-2018)?  The Component Package v1.0.527 released this past Monday fixes a major bug that only affected Win 7 SP1 computers (see Erix's product update announcement <here> in the Malwarebytes forum).  If you haven't received Component Package v1.0.527 go to Settings | Application | Application Updates and click the "Install Application Updates" button to receive this product update.

Also, does Malwarebytes Premium load at boot-up and run in real-time protection mode at the same time as Norton?  I have a lifetime license for Malwarebytes Premium but I've deactivated my Premium license (Settings | Account Details | Deactivate License) because of apparent conflicts with Norton Security and Malwarebytes Premium on my Vista SP2 computer, and only launch Malwarebytes Free every 3 or 4 days to run a manual Threat Scan to check for any threats that might have been missed by my Norton antivirus. Norton always recommends that users do not run other security products in real-time protection mode at the same time as their Norton antivirus - see the Norton support article Problems Running Multiple Security Products.  I've run Norton and Malwarebytes Premium together for several years without a problem, but recent versions of Malwarebytes Premium v3.x seems to cause unexpected glitches (e.g., intermittent Norton Automatic LiveUpdate failures) on my system when it runs together with Norton, even after I create mutual scan exclusions in both products to minimize conflicts.

If disabling Norton's compressed file scanning (Settings | Antivirus | Scans and Risks | Computer Scans | Compressed File Scan | OFF) as peterweb and Sunil_GA suggested doesn't help and you're running Malwarebytes Premium in real-time protection mode, stop Malwarebytes Premium from launching at boot-up (Settings | Protection | Startup Options | Start Malwarebytes at Windows Startup | OFF) and re-boot your computer.  It's possible that your scanning problems and shutdown errors might disappear if Norton is the only real-time protection running on your computer. When you boot up in Safe Mode you only load the the minimum software and drivers required to operate your computer (i.e., Malwarebytes Premium files will not automatically load) and this might explain why Norton runs normally when you boot up in Safe Mode.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * NS Deluxe v22.15.1.8 * MB v3.5.1-1.0.365

Kudos0

We also do not know what NPE removed earlier in this process. It is possible that it was something that belongs to the OS.

Amylogamy

Try running NPE again, but this time choose to restore a previous repair. Then restart your computer and test again. If you can see what NPE removed, it might also help us with this diagnosis.

Kudos0

Hi Sunil,

Sorry about the late response. During the week I work and come home exhausted. I would try to answer to the best of my abilities. I know enough about computers to get by but I need step by step instructions to fix things.

Norton Internet Security 22.16.3.21 

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
- "Norton hangs on a folder/file for hours"

I always do full scans. I run Live Update everyday and do a full scan almost everyday.

Yes, the scan stops in the same folder. Picasa which I have had for many years.

I tried the other day to take a screen shot and it would not let me. I usually use a program called Print Screen for all of my screen shots and it goes to Picasa. Somehow I could not do it. I would try again maybe tomorrow. It is too late for me to do a full scan now. By the way Picasa is one of the last folders scanned in  a full scan where it gets stuck.

I have Malwarebytes paid version installed and for many years I HAD RUN THEM IN MY COMPUTER WITH NO CONFLICTS. I just had another contributor, Imacri, in this thread saying that he disabled his Malawerebytes.

Again I would run a scan tomorrow with the Compressed File Scan disabled and see what happens. I also have the Exploit Prevention off which did not solved anything. Should turn it on?

About the NPE scan. There where only two things fixed. One was the Picasa uploader.This program was designed to work with Facebook to upload pictures from Picasa to Facebook. This program is no longer supported by Picasa so I did not see any harm in removing it. The other one said Registry .I did another NPE scan as suggested and replaced the Registry entry.

Another piece of information is that if I restart the computer for any reason. For example I just updated Malwareybites and required a restart. There in no problem with the computer performing correctly. It is only when I tried to shutdown for the night and if Norton is stuck on the Picasa folder that it would not shut down. I tried Contro+ALt Delete and could not stop Norton from there either.

Again about Picasa. It used to be that if you had a picture album and you wanted to share it it was really easy to do. On December 25, 26 .27 I downloaded some pictures like I usually do from the Pinterest and wanted to share them with my sister.  The new thing now is that you have to do it through Google photos which also downloaded Google photos updates. It was updating every time I turned the computer on so I took it off from my start programs. I just wanted to tell you in case it is related. The hanging of the Norton just started though about five days ago or so.

I did Live Update Today but not a scan. Let see if it shuts down normally.

Amy

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

Thank you so very much for all of your helpful in formation. I went into Malwarebites and updated  it as you suggested. it  is funny because I run it everyday. I thought it would automatically update when doing the scan. Thank you so very much for the detailed step by step information about how to go about doing things. This is exactly what I need.

Yes,  Malwarebytes Premium does load at boot-up and run in real-time protection mode at the same time as Norton. I have NEVER had a problem with it for the many years that I have had both. Maybe it is different with Windows 7. My boss knows quite a bit about computers and wants me to go to Windows 10. He says it would fix everything. I am not too sure I want to do that. It took me forever to learn Windows 7 after XP. 

Like I told Sunil I would not be able to do another full scan until tomorrow or Friday with the Compressed File Scan off. It is too exhausting for me to try to fix my computer after an exhausting day at work. Should I turn the Exploit Prevention on again?

Thank you again so much for your help.

Amy

Kudos0

Hi @Amylogamy,

Thanks for the information provided. Please turn on the Exploit Prevention setting and let us know the scan status with screenshot. 

Kudos0

Amylogamy:
...I went into Malwarebites and updated  it as you suggested. it  is funny because I run it everyday. I thought it would automatically update when doing the scan...

Hi Amylogamy:

No, when you click on Check for Updates from the main dashboard or system tray icon, run a scan, or schedule an automatic update with MB Premium, Malwarebytes v3.x will only check for updates for the malware definitions database but will not check for application updates.  Instead, the Free and Premium editions of MB v3.x attempt to run an automated background task once an hour that uses a metered "lottery" system to deliver application updates, and several users have complained that these background checks can take several days (or even weeks) to find available application updates.  From Malwarebytes employee dcollins' March 2018 post # 2 in my thread No Update to 3.4 Offered:

"...Malwarebytes checks with the servers every hour and checks to see if an upgrade is available. The server chooses people in a lottery based on our metering (which is pretty high right now) and determines if they get the upgrade at that time. If your computer is off, that means it's not checking in, and not eligible for the lottery that time around."

I don't want to take your thread off-topic so I'll send you a private message (PM) with further details.  The next time you log in to the Norton forum click the envelope icon at the top right of the web page to read the PM.

------------

Kudos0

Hi Sunil,

So I ran a scan this morning before going no work with the Compressed File Scan disabled and the Exploit Prevention on. The scan was crawling. It barely scanned 339,280 files in two hours so I had to go to work and left it on to continue. When I got home I was really surprised to see that he scan finished 357,280 files and I was able to turn Norton off and the computer in the proper way. I don't think I need to send you a screen shot now of the finished scan. I am running another scan right now just to recheck.

So now what ? What does it mean that the Norton is scanning the right way now without the Compressed File Scan. My regular files scan with The Compressed File Scan on is about 1,078,801 more or less. So what now?hat is the next step?

Thank you,

Amy

UPDATE: The Norton Scan is stuck again in the same Picasa file which I just checked and happens to be a video of my Mom with my sister before she passed away. The Compressed File is still off/disable so I am at a total loss right now. I thought everything was fixed. The computer would not let me take a screen shot so I have taken a picture with my phone. I am enclosing the picture.

This is ridiculous.!!!!!! I cannot upload a jpg file so I don't know how to send you the picture. Any suggestions? I don't how else to take a screen shot. I am ready to uninstall Norton and see how that works. I am getting really frustrated. I cannot be turning off the computer by the tower button all the time. I am going to ruin my computer.

Kudos0

Amylogamy:

This is ridiculous.!!!!!! I cannot upload a jpg file so I don't know how to send you the picture. Any suggestions? I don't how else to take a screen shot. I am ready to uninstall Norton and see how that works. I am getting really frustrated. I cannot be turning off the computer by the tower button all the time. I am going to ruin my computer.

Amy - please see if the following helps in posting an image:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/how-post-image-forums-0

Kudos0

UPDATE: The Norton Scan is stuck again in the same Picasa file which I just checked and happens to be a video of my Mom with my sister before she passed away. The Compressed File is still off/disable so I am at a total loss right now. 

It is possible that there is some issue with your hard drive in the location that the Picasa file is located. To check your hard disk, click on the Windows Start button. In the search box type CMD. Right click on cmd.exe and click on run as administrator. In the command prompt type "chkdsk c: /r"  without the quotes. A message will come up asking if you want to check the disk on the next restart. Answer 'Y'. Reboot and the check disk will run before Windows starts up. This check will check the file system as well as the physical disk surface. This scan can take a long time, depending on the size of your hard drive.

Kudos0

Hi peterweb.

Thank for the suggestion but I have been doing scan disk almost everyday. There was another thing that I used to do a very long time ago maybe with XP that would check for missing files. I would have to look for the paper that I had it printed on unless you know about this.

Thank you,

Amy

Kudos0

Kudos0

Hi Sunil,

The problem downloading the scan was that the file was too big. I was able to reduce the size of the picture I took. This is the scan from last night. The scan this morning finish fine but I don't know how long it took because I went to work. I just did a quick scan and worked OK but I am doing another full scan right now.

The other thing that just happened that is a little scary is that a lot of my computer icons on my desktop were moved out to different locations. Do you think my computer is being hijacked? Is there any other reason why my icons have moved to different places on my desktop?

Amy

Kudos0

Hi Yank,

Thank you for the information. I found out what the problem was. The file was too big. I downloaded a resized photo and it worked. Now I am waiting for the picture to be approved.

The other thing that I mentioned to Sunil is that a few of my icons on the desktop were moved to different places when came from work. Do you think my computer could be Hijacked. I usually do not leave the computer on when I am not home but I wanted to finish the full Norton scan.

Amy

Kudos0

Amylogamy:

Hi peterweb.

Thank for the suggestion but I have been doing scan disk almost everyday. There was another thing that I used to do a very long time ago maybe with XP that would check for missing files. I would have to look for the paper that I had it printed on unless you know about this.

Thank you,

Amy

But are you running it with the  /r option to check the physical drive, not just the file allocations. If there is bad sectors where your Norton scan hangs, that could be causing your issue. This would probably not be a default if you were running the scan daily, as it could easily take over an hour depending on the size of your drive.

Kudos0

Yes perterweb, I am running it with everything checked. I found the other thing I was looking for. SFC /SACANNOW to find corrupted or missing files. I have not done it yet but I found my Windows 7 CD in case I need it.. By the way with Imacri's suggestion about Stopping Malwarebytes Premium from launching at boot up maybe has helped.  I have NEVER had a problem with thes two programs running together for many years but Imacri said that lately they are conflicting. I did three scans today, one quick and the other ones full scan with the Compressed File Scan off. They worked OK. NO HANGING!!!!! My question is regarding the time this scans are taking. Usually with everything turned on  on Norton, about 1077,801 files give or take. The full scan takes about an hour or so. With the Compressed File Scan off, about 357,280 files, the can is taking over two hours. Why? I thought it would be much faster. That is one of the reason I think something maybe wrong with my Norton. Should I remove it and reinstall it again? What is the best of doing this if necessary? I remember Norton having a removal tool somewhere. Should I try doing a scan again with the Compressed File Scan on and see what happens?

Also I was reading about the icons on my desktop switching places or locations. I checked the video drivers and they are up to date. I would like to hear yous thoughts about all this mentioned above.

Thank you.

Amy

Kudos0

Hi, Amy. Running sfc /scannow using Run as an Administrator will fix any corrupted files, and give you details of any corrupted files found and repaired.

If your operating system checks out okay, then running the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool will give you a fresh copy.

If you elect to use this, we can give you a link.

I agree with peterweb that you should disable the compressed file scan as it will make scans much longer, and as he says, Norton will scan any that are opened anyway.

If you have any further questions, one of us will be around most of the time !

Fwiw, I only do a full scan around once a month, as I have it set to only scan new or changed files, which makes it much quicker.

You can manually run a quick scan any time, for peace of mind.

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos1 Stats

Amylogamy:

...My question is regarding the time this scans are taking. Usually with everything turned on  on Norton, about 1077,801 files give or take. The full scan takes about an hour or so. With the Compressed File Scan off, about 357,280 files, the can is taking over two hours. Why? I thought it would be much faster. That is one of the reason I think something maybe wrong with my Norton....

Hi Amylogamy:

I wouldn't be too concerned for now about the number of files scanned with Compressed File Scanning turned ON or OFF.  If you run two scans in quick succession [e.g., before LiveUpdate has downloaded a new SDS (virus) definition set] Norton will often skip over files it already knows are "safe" on the second scan to save time, and the number of items scanned will suddenly drop.

... The other thing that just happened that is a little scary is that a lot of my computer icons on my desktop were moved out to different locations

It's possible your icons were re-arranged on your desktop because you booted up in Safe Mode.  When I  boot up in Safe Mode, Windows will load the basic video drivers and automatically drops my screen resolution (e.g., from 1280x800 to 800x600 pixels) and increases the size of the icons on my desktop, causing the icons to rearrange themselves on the desktop.  The next time I boot up in normal mode my NVIDIA graphics drivers load and my screen resolution and desktop icon size return to a high resolution but my icons are still rearranged and I have to drop and drag them back to their usual position.

UPDATE: The Norton Scan is stuck again in the same Picasa file which I just checked and happens to be a video of my Mom with my sister before she passed away.... Should I try doing a scan again with the Compressed File Scan on and see what happens?

Yes, please run a scan with Compressed File Scan turned ON now that Malwarebytes Premium is not loading at boot up.  If your scan gets stuck again let us know the name of the file and folder where it is stored.  If you can isolate the exact file causing your scan to hang it might be possible to create a file exclusion (Settings | Antivirus | Scan and Risks tab | Exclusions / Low Risks | Items to Exclude From Scans | Configure | Add Files) so that Norton skips over this file when you run a Full System Scan .  Se the section titled "How do I exclude disks, folders, and files from scans?" in the support article Exclusions / Low Risks.

A Full System Scan on my Vista SP2 computer takes over 2 hours run to completion.  If you are certain you've identified the one particular file or folder causing your Full System Scan to hang, it should be faster to run your scans on that one folder or file to speed up your testing.  Browse to the folder (e.g., C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\Videos or where ever the problem file is located), right-click the folder, and select Norton Security | Scan Now (my screen shot below is just an example for scanning my Firefox browser installation folder at C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox).  That way Norton will only scan the files in the problem folder and you shouldn't have to run a Full System Scan to test if the scan will run to completion.

------------

Kudos0

Hi F4E,

It is a little late for me to do the sfc \scannow but I would do it tomorrow.

It is very interesting. I was just communicating with Imacri on a PM. We were looking at my program files for my Picasa. Anyway I just realized that it says that my Norton was installed on January 05, 2019. I had now idea I had a new version so it must have installed after a patch or via Live Update. This is around the time when my problems started. Even tough I have checked the diagnostic tool an it does not find anything wrong with the Norton installation, I think I have a problem.

I just want to know why is it better to have the compressed file scan off? I am just curious. Could you please explain. Also I don't see the concept that if Norton scans less files with the compressed files scan off, it takes much longer. Could you please explain this too.

Regarding removing and reinstalling Norton and your link. Do you think it is better that I do it on my own or have somebody from tech support do it for me. I know enough about computers to get by but I am afraid sometimes to screw up things.

Regarding full scans. imacri said the same thing about running full scan one a month also because it causes more "wear and tear" in the computer. This tells you how much I know about computers and tech stuff. I thought running a full scan everyday would keep me more protected. I have been doing this for years. You learn something new everyday, that is why I like these forums.

If you think I am capable of removing and reinstalling Norton by myself, please send me the link. I think I did it once a very long time ago. If worse comes to worse and it does not work, I can always call tech support. I was telling Imcri that I had problems back in August with Live Update not updating and I had to call tech support an it took this lady almost an hour to fix it. It was not easy. She fixed the problem by giving me a new exe. file; mine was very old. She also restored my licenses that I had lost even tough I had only one computer. She was great.

Thank you,

Amy

Kudos0

lmacri:

...Yes, please run a scan with Compressed File Scan turned ON now that Malwarebytes Premium is not loading at boot up.  If your scan gets stuck again let us know the name of the file and folder where it is stored.

Hi Amylogamy:

I just read your PM and you said you thought your Full System Scan was hanging on a file called C:\Users\Amy\Pictures\.Picasa3Temp\MVI_1500.thm. If that's correct then this is a "thumbnail" file - see the WhatIs.com article THM File Format.  These .THM files are similar to .jpg image files and only contain the first frame of the video file - think of them as a shortcut like the icons on your Windows desktop.  If the thumbnail is named MVI_1500.thm then your actual video file is probably called something like MVI_1500.avi or MVI_1500.mov.

Let us know how the scan goes with Compressed File Scan turned ON.  If your Norton scans keep hanging on this file you might be able to simply delete the thumbnail without harming your actual video.

It would probably be best if you post your feedback in this thread instead of via a PM so everyone following this thread has all the information they need to assist you.
------------

Kudos0

It would probably be best if you post your feedback in this thread instead of via a PM so everyone following this thread has all the information they need to assist you.
------------

Thanks @lmacri - excellent idea! 

Kudos0

Yes perterweb, I am running it with everything checked.

If in fact you are running chkdsk with the /r feature every day, that too is putting undue wear and tear on your hard drive. How long does your chkdsk scan take each day?

Kudos0

Hi peterweeb,

I was only doing that thinking that it would solve the problem. I only do it every few months if necessary.

Amy

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

I think you solved my problem. I have kept Malwarebytes Premium from starting at boot up. Last night I did a Live Update, turned the Compressed File Scan back on, started a new full scan and went to bed. This morning scan was finished. NO HANGING!!!!!

I turned the computer off by normal shutdown this morning. No problem. I turned it back on and I am doing another full scan just as I am writing this now. If anything changes with this new scan I would post again and update.

I think also updating Malwarebytes like you said manually also helped with the problem. I have done a couple of scans with Malwarebytes last night and today and turned it right off/exit the program right after so that is not running with Norton a the same time all day. I think we got it. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!!! I will do one more post to make sure the scan I am doing now is OK.

Amy

Kudos0

Amylogamy:..
I have kept Malwarebytes Premium from starting at boot up. Last night I did a Live Update, turned the Compressed File Scan back on, started a new full scan and went to bed. This morning scan was finished. NO HANGING!!!!!

I turned the computer off by normal shutdown this morning. No problem. I turned it back on and I am doing another full scan just as I am writing this now. If anything changes with this new scan I would post again and update.

Hi Amylogamy:

That's good news.  Let us know if your Full System Scan hangs or Windows shutdown problems return.

Just note that the WhatIS.com article THM File Format I referenced <here> notes that "With Canon-created video files, the .THM file also contains the metadata for the video, and therefore needs to remain with and have the same name as the .AVI file."  If you start seeing your scans hanging again on a .THM thumbprint file in your Picasa temporary folder at C:\Users\Amy\Pictures\.Picasa3Temp\ again don't manually delete it until we're certain this won't cause issues playing the underlying video file.

In most cases, purging old .THM files automatically created by your Windows operating system doesn't do any harm.  When you run a Disk Cleanup to purge the unnecessary junk from your your hard drive (in Win 7, go to Start button menu and choose All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup) thumbnails are normally selected by default, and the image below from my Vista SP2 computer notes that any .THM files purged from your hard drive will be re-created by Windows if they are required. The Dummies article How to Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 7 and Vista recommends that users uncheck Hibernation File Cleaner but the rest of the items that are selected by default should be safe to remove if you ever want to do a thorough cleanup of your hard drive.

I also suspect the Malwarebytes Premium bug I mentioned <here> that only affected Win 7 SP1 users was related (at least in part) to your system freezes and shutdown hangs. Further details about this bug were posted in Malwarebytes employee LiquidTension's thread Malwarebytes for Windows and Windows 7 Freeze/Lock-up.  Start Malwarebytes, go to Settings | About and confirm that you received the recent Component Package v1.0.527 update that fixed this bug.

Symantec doesn't recommend that you run Norton Security and Malwarebytes Premium together in real-time protection mode, but if Component Package v1.0.527 is now installed and you want to give it another try just re-enable Malwarebytes Premium to start at Windows startup (Settings | Protection | Startup Options | Start Malwarebytes at Windows Startup | ON), re-boot your computer, and run a Full System Scan (or try a manual scan of your C:\Users\Amy\Pictures\ folder) to see if it eventually runs to completion with Malwarebytes running in real-time protection mode.

Malwarebytes suggests that users create scan exclusions in their antivirus if they believe there might be a conflict with Malwarebytes and their antivirus.  If you ever want to do this the current list of recommended scan exclusions to add to Norton is posted in post # 7 of Malwarebytes 3 - Frequently Asked Questions.  Follow the instructions in the Norton support article Exclusions / Low Risks and add those Malwarebytes files and folders to both the Items to Exclude from Scans and the Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect, SONAR and Download Intelligence Detection.

It might also help to create mutual scan exclusions in Malwarebytes for your Norton files.  Here's what I currently have in Malwarebytes at Settings | Exclusions.  Other Malwarebytes users following this thread might have further suggestions for other Symantec/Norton files and folders (e.g., C:\Windows\System32\drivers\symevent.sys) that should be added to that list of exclusions.  I use Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1 on a 32-bit OS; since you use Norton Internet Security v22.16.3 on a 64-bit OS I think your main Norton installation folder is C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security.

------------

Kudos1 Stats

Amylogamy:

...Regarding removing and reinstalling Norton and your link. Do you think it is better that I do it on my own or have somebody from tech support do it for me...

Hi Amylogamy:

...and further to your question about re-installing Norton, the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool can be downloaded from https://www.norton.com/nrnr.  Most users should be able to run this automated tool by themselves to refresh their Norton installation - instructions are provided in the support article.  Just be sure to download a new copy of the tool each time you want to refresh your Norton installation.

Really stubborn problems sometimes require a clean reinstall that involves a complete wipe of Norton (including your custom configuration settings and security history as well as other Norton products like Norton Utilities, Norton Family, Norton Ghost,etc.) off your system before you re-install.  See my instructions in John Whittington 1's thread Word 2000 problem with Norton Security under Windows 10 to see the basic steps involved in performing a clean reinstall if you ever find that a refresh with the NRnR tool doesn't fix a corrupted Norton installation. 

Here are a few sample links for downloading the latest available full offline installer for your NIS and a few Norton Security (NS) products if you ever need them:

Norton Internet Security (NIS):  https://www.norton.com/latestnis
     Norton Security (NS) Standard/Deluxe:  https://www.norton.com/latestns
     Norton Security (NS) Premium:  https://www.norton.com/latestnsbu (also known as Norton Security with Backup)
------------

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

I am trying to do the exclusions on Malwarebytes. Which one do you use in HOW To Exclude? I guess the picture would take a while to show. 1 Exclude from detection as malware,ransomware or potentially unwanted item.

2 Exclude from detection as malware or potentially unwanted item only.

3 Exclude form detection as ransomware only

I have not turned on the startup protection yet on Malwarebytes I am really behind on things I have to do in the computer and I want to do this before trying to another Norton scan with the startup protection on on Malwarebytes . I did recheck though and have the new Component Package v1.0.527 .

Also do I include entries in both?  I have under Program Files<Norton Security and under Program Files (x86)< Norton Internet Security  they both have Norton Data folders inside and Engine. In Program Files<Norton Security I have Engine updated/modified Jan 5 and Engine32 updated/modified Jan 4. In Program Files (x86)< Norton Internet Security I have Engine updated/modified 8/7/2018 that is when the Norton tech downloaded a new version and helped me out with the Live Update issue. I think you suggested in the previous comment I do the later. I just want to make sure.

Thank you.

Amy

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

If the problems are solved I don't really want to reinstall Norton for now. I know for you guys it is a piece of cake to do all of these things but for me it is a little hard and scary. I would definitively keep the link. Thank you!!!!!

Amy

Kudos0

Amylogamy:

...I am trying to do the exclusions on Malwarebytes. Which one do you use in HOW To Exclude?

Hi Amylogamy:

When I create exclusions in Malwarebytes at Settings | Exclusions I normally accept the default for How to Exclude if prompted (i.e., Exclude from detection as malware, ransomware or potentially unwanted item).

Also do I include entries in both?  I have under Program Files<Norton Security and under Program Files (x86)< Norton Internet Security  they both have Norton Data folders inside and Engine. In Program Files<Norton Security I have Engine updated/modified Jan 5 and Engine32 updated/modified Jan 4. In Program Files (x86)< Norton Internet Security I have Engine updated/modified 8/7/2018 that is when the Norton tech downloaded a new version and helped me out with the Live Update issue.

Do you have a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7 operating system?  If you aren't sure go to Control Panel | System and Maintenance | System.

It seems odd that you still have two different installation folders for both C:\Program Files\Norton Security and C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security.  If you go to Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features does it show that you have Norton Internet Security or Norton Security installed and what is the Installed On date?  From my 32-bit Vista SP2 machine for my current Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1.8 installation, which I reinstalled on 19-Jan-2019:

If I log in to my online Norton Account at https://my.norton.com I can also see that my previous Norton Security Premium subscription has Expired and that my new Norton Security Deluxe subscription is currently Active.  Based on the dates you've provided I'm guessing that you used to have Norton Internet Security (NIS) and that the Norton Customer Support rep upgraded you to Norton Security Deluxe or Norton Security Premium on 08-Jul-2018 but didn't clean up your old NIS files off your hard drive first.

If you aren't certain what product you are currently using you might need to contact Norton Customer Support via a Live Chat at https://www.norton.com and ask them to determine the current product that is licensed in your Norton Account.  They might need to do start a remote access session so they can remotely connect to your computer and see what's actually installed on your hard drive.
------------

Kudos0

lmacri:
...I use Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1 on a 32-bit OS; since you use Norton Internet Security v22.16.3 on a 64-bit OS I think your main Norton installation folder is C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security...

Hi Amylogamy:

Sorry, I checked my notes and confirmed that native 64-bit support was added to Norton when v22.9.x was released in 2017 (see the release notes at Norton 22.9 Product Update Available Now) so that likely means that C:\Program Files\Norton Security [i.e., not C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security] is the correct installation folder if you have a 64-bit OS and Norton Security Standard or Norton Security Deluxe was recently installed on your machine.

I don't have Norton installed on a 64-bit machine so one of the other users following this thread might be able to confirm.
------------

Kudos1 Stats

so that likely means that C:\Program Files\Norton Security [i.e., not C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security] is the correct installation folder if you have a 64-bit OS and Norton Security Standard or Norton Security Deluxe was recently installed on your machine.

I can confirm the path to Norton Security on a 64 bit OS is indeed   C:\Program Files\Norton Security

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

Under programs and Features I have Norton Internet Security installed 01/05/2019 version 22.16.3.21 The same shows in my Norton subscription. It says that is bundled with Norton Identity Protection because I have Life Lock. Now I see something I don't understand. Under My Norton there is a window with red letters saying under device security that I am not protected.This is like a Pandora's box. There is one thing after the other one. Here is the picture. What does this mean????? When I click view device it shows AMY PC  Inactive and if I click on that they want to give me a free trial but my Norton is active. Weird!!!!! I do have 64 bit OS and the name of my computer is AMY-PC-. By the way when I had the problem back in August I got a clean reinstall by the tech support lady. Another reason why I don't want to reinstall it unless I have problems again.

Kudos0

Thank you!!!!!!

Kudos0

Amy, Imacri is doing a great job helping you. She has an in depth knowledge of all things Norton, and computer wise !

My only comment is that if you DO need to use the Norton Remove and Reinstall ever, it really is very easy and largely automated.

The only thing I would add is if you use it, after the re-installation, run Live Update manually until no more are found, and restart again. Good luck. You are in good hands with Imacri.

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

Thank you F4E.!!!! Yes, I agree Imacri is the best because she explains and shows everything in detail. I just realized that when I had my problem with the Live Update back in August 2018 the tech support lady gave me a brand new install. It worse comes to worse I would do it. I am going to turn on everything back like Imacri suggested and test it again. We'll see what happens.

Amy

Kudos1 Stats

Amylogamy:
... I have under Program Files<Norton Security and under Program Files (x86)< Norton Internet Security  they both have Norton Data folders inside and Engine...

...Under programs and Features I have Norton Internet Security installed 01/05/2019 version 22.16.3.21 The same shows in my Norton subscription. It says that is bundled with Norton Identity Protection because I have Life Lock... I do have 64 bit OS...

Hi Amylogamy:

Then I don't know why you have two different installation folders for both C:\Program Files\Norton Security and C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security that both have NortonData and Engine subfolders as you noted <here>, unless one of those installation folders is essentially empty (e.g., there are no .exe or .dll files in the subfolders under C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\) and is just a remnant of an older installation.

Running the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool (https://www.norton.com/nrnr) in normal "Remove & Reinstall" mode as F 4 E suggested might clean up these remnants.  Your Norton installation seems to be working correctly at the moment now that you've install the bug fix for Malwarebytes Premium and stopped Malwarebytes Premium from loading at Windows startup, so if you don't feel comfortable running this NRnR tool yourself just contact Norton employee Sunil_GA when he returns to work on Monday and see if he recommends another reinstall.

...Under My Norton there is a window with red letters saying under device security that I am not protected.This is like a Pandora's box...

See the Norton support article Remote Management.  If Settings | Administrative Settings | Remote Management is disabled then enable that setting and see if that improves the accuracy of the information displayed in Device Security.  However, I wouldn't be overly concerned about what you see under Device Security as long as the information in My Subscriptions is accurate.  If the Norton icon in the system tray of your Windows desktop has a green check mark then your Norton real-time protection is running on your local computer.

The Device Security section of the online Norton Account is notoriously inaccurate, and users have been complaining about this feature for years.  See one of my older images in DavidCoffield's thread My Services (Correct) My Devices (Wrong) showing My Devices reporting that I had Norton installed on three Win 8.1 computers (1 protected, 2 with issues) when I actually had Norton installed on one Vista SP2 machine.

When I logged in today at https://my.norton.com the main dashboard shows "You are not protected" under Device Security (see my image below) but if I click the View Devices link I see two devices with the identical name (one offline, one online) and the status for both is green and show I'm protected. I only have Norton installed on one Vista SP2 computer, so go figure.

------------

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

Last night could not shut down computer normally again. I had Malwarebytes on startup to check. This seem to be the problem. I can have them both running at the same time and do regular scans on both Norton and Malwrebytes. Norton is not hanging anymore but if I have them both on shutdown the computer cannot not do it. Somehow Norton stays on the background. I figured this because as soon as I turn the computer on, Norton was already on the taskbar. So I took Malwarebytes from startup again and the computer shutdown normally.

About the two Norton folders. You are right. The C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security is empty. It has the Engine and Norton Date but they are empty so they must be remnant. On Program Files>Norton Security, Engine is 1/5 2019 and Data 8/7 2018 when the new installation was done by Norton Tech. On Program Files (x86) Norton Internet Security, Engine is 8/7/218 and Data 7/10/2015 but like I said they are empty.  I have posted pictures but my pictures but do not show. They are still waiting for approval. Why? Yours show right away.

Remote Management is on and so is the green check on the Norton so I am not going to worry about this. Another thing. On the full scan that I did this morning, only 359,942 files were scanned. I figured because I just had done it it did not scan the whole 1053,505 I had last with a full scan.

I think I am going go do the reinstall and pray for the best. Also would do another disk check and going to try to do a SFC / sannnow. I have hard/force shutdown the computer so many times in the last few days something must not be right. By the way I do disk cleanup everyday.

I would keep you informed. Thank  so much again.

Amy

Kudos0

Hi @Amylogamy,

Thanks for the information provided. Few more things to checks with regards to compressed File scan. 

- Norton doesn't scan Password protected compressed file/folder.

- Compressed file/folder where scan is getting halted maybe corrupted

- Can you please enable the Compressed file scan option and let us know if scan still getting struck at same file/folder? Also, please provide the file/folder name (Screenshot is better)

- Are you trying to scan pictures which are saved in online/cloud? 

Kudos0

Amylogamy:
...I have posted pictures but my pictures but do not show. They are still waiting for approval. Why? Yours show right away...

Hi Amylogamy:

That problem will stop once you've posted a few more times in the forum. Newer members must have their images approved by a Forum Moderator, and the approval process takes a long time on weekends.  Don't worry - I was able to see all your images this weekend after I logged in to the forum.

...Last night could not shut down computer normally again. I had Malwarebytes on startup to check. This seem to be the problem. I can have them both running at the same time and do regular scans on both Norton and Malwrebytes. Norton is not hanging anymore but if I have them both on shutdown the computer cannot not do it.... So I took Malwarebytes from startup again and the computer shutdown normally....

If Malwarebytes Premium v3.6.1 is still causing shutdown problems on your Win 7 machine after you've applied Component Package v1.0.527, you should post in the Malwarebytes 3 Support Forum at https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-3-support-forum/ and see what they have to say.  The bug fix in Component Package v1.0.527 might not have worked for your particular CPU / system configuration, or you might have a corrupted Malwarebytes installation that is still causing Windows shutdown problems.  They can provide instructions on how repair or reinstall Malwarebytes using their automated Malwarebytes Support Tool.

As I mention <here> I've been running Malwarebtes and Norton together in real-time protection mode for several years but I've discovered a few minor conflicts on my 32-bit Vista SP2 machine (Malwarebytes employees have been advised) so I've deactivate my Malwarebytes Premium license and I'm currently using Malwarebytes Free as an on-demand second-opinion scanner. However, I know there are other Norton users in this forum who don't have any issues running Norton and Malwarebytes Premium at the same time.  Malwarebytes has posted the following <here> in their FAQ so it's up to them to ensure you can run both products together:

Can Malwarebytes 3.0 run alongside Symantec or McAfee?
Certainly! We built Malwarebytes 3.0 to be compatible with all major anti-virus software, even Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials. In fact by default Malwarebytes 3.0 installs in compatible mode alongside Defender, MSE or third-party antivirus products.

------------

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

Sorry about the late response. Once I start my work week, I have little time at night in my computer.

So I did a fresh Norton reinstall . A lot easier that I thought. Still I have two folders: The Program Files (x86) Norton Internet Security has Engine 8/7/218 and Norton Data 7/10/2015. Now these folders are not totally empty so the new install did not remove them. I would post  pictures. The Program Files< Norton Security updated all the folders with yesterdays date.

I did a scan disk to fix any problems after so many force shutdowns. I also did the sfc /scannow and it did not find any missing or corrupted files in Windows. The Norton account updated also after the reinstall so I no longer have the window that says I am not protected. I did a full scan with no hanging. What I have been doing is doing my Norton scan, then turning on Malwarebytes,  doing a scan, then exiting the program, doing my computer work and then turning off the computer normally. I really don't want to try again to turn the computer off with Malwarebytes on until this problem is fixed.

About posting this problem on the Malwarebytes forum is going to take a couple of days. I am literally exhausted/ fried is the word, from all these computer problems and I am really behind in a lot of other things pending that I have to take care off. I would definitely do it because I want this problem to be solved. I have used Norton and Malwarebytes together for many years without a problem. I hate to test it again now that I have a new reinstall. Every time I shut the computer down and it does not shutdown, my stomach sinks. By the way I was able to do Malware exclusions but I did not do the Items to Exclude from Scans and the Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect, SONAR and Download Intelligence Detection in Norton. This one seems a little more complicated and I have to dedicate more time to do it.

I just finished another Norton right now scan with no hanging.

Thank you so very much Imacri for your dedicated help and to everyone else helping. I would tried to post on Malwarebytes maybe on the weekend. Do you think I should test it again running both together now that I have the new Norton install? I just hate to see the computer not shutting down. I would keep you posted about the Malwarebytes issue. Amy

Kudos0

Hi Sunil,

I did a Norton reinstall. The scan does not hang anymore. Everything is turned on on Norton. Imacri figured out the the problem might be with Malwarebytes and computer running Windows 7 . The computer does not shutdown properly when they are both running at the same time. I have to force shutdown. Have been running them together for many years with no problem. You can read the information Imacri gave me regarding this in this thread.

Thank you,

Amy