• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Internet Security hangs and scan does not complete

Hi,

For the last couple of days Norton hangs on a folder/file for hours and would not complete scan. I ran Norton in Safe Mode and there was no problem. The scan was complete and nothing found. If I put in on Pause it would also go for hours. If I stop it it would go also for hours without stopping. The close window does not work. Diagnostics does not find anything. I have the latest version 22.16.3.4.  I also did a Scan disk for errors and nothing was found.

I would appreciate if you can solve this problem for me.

Thank you,

Amelia

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Internet Security hangs and scan does not complete

Hi, Amy. Fwiw, I also run Malware Bytes Free as a back up scanner only. Not used in real time.

As Imacri notes, some users have no problem with MBytes and Norton running together in real time, while others may.

Even doing a manual scan with MBytes Free, it's surprising how many things it can pick up.

Another user here ran it, and it picked up quite a few pups ( possibly unwanted programs )

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

Thanks for the update, @Amylogamy

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Amylogamy:

...So I did a fresh Norton reinstall . A lot easier that I thought. Still I have two folders: The Program Files (x86) Norton Internet Security has Engine 8/7/218 and Norton Data 7/10/2015. Now these folders are not totally empty so the new install did not remove them. I would post  pictures. The Program Files< Norton Security updated all the folders with yesterdays date....

Hi Amylogamy:

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the remnants from your old NIS installation(s) in C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security as long as your current Norton installation runs normally while Malwarebytes Premium is disabled.

When you run the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool in normal "Remove & Reinstall" mode it deliberately leaves behind several registry entries and static data files (e.g., .txt, .dat, etc. files like configuration files and history logs) on the assumption that you are going to reinstall Norton and only want to refresh your current installation.  After your installation is refreshed with the NRnR tool just make sure that you run a few manual LiveUpdates until it reports that no further updates are available.  Then re-boot your computer and go to Help | General Information | About to confirm that you are fully patched back to the latest Norton version, which is currently v22.16.3.21.

The clean reinstall procedure I described <here> is a multi-step process that requires users to run the NRnR tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode and it does a much better job of cleaning up remnants of older Norton installations, but even a clean reinstall will leave behind a few orphaned folders and registry entries.  These older remnants rarely cause problems with a clean installation but some users like to go an extra step and manually delete any stray Norton/Symantec folders and registry entries before they reinstall Norton.

Any time I need to reinstall Norton I prefer to do a clean reinstall - it takes a bit more time because I have to go back and reset all my custom settings but I like knowing I'm starting over with a clean installation.

....Do you think I should test it again running both together now that I have the new Norton install? I just hate to see the computer not shutting down...

You could try another shutdown with your Malwarebytes Premium real-time protection enabled, but I suspect this will only confirm that a refresh of your Norton installation didn't solve the problem.  I might be wrong, but if your Norton Full Systems Scans ran to completion and your computer shut down normally on the weekend when Malwarebytes Premium was disabled, even before the Norton refresh with the NRnR tool, then that points to a serious problem with your current Malwarebytes installation.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * NS Deluxe v22.15.1.8 * MB v3.5.1-1.0.365

Kudos0

Amylogamy:
...The same shows in my Norton subscription. It says that is bundled with Norton Identity Protection because I have Life Lock...

Hi Amylogamy:

...and this is really off-topic but I thought I should mention it now since we might not be hearing back from you for few weeks while you work through your Malwarebytes problem.

Symantec purchased a credit monitoring company called LifeLock for $2.3 billion in 2017 and ever since then Norton has been constantly nagging their customers to subscribe to this credit monitoring service via unsolicited pop-ups and e-mails .  This LifeLock service is not part of your "regular" Norton Security subscription and you can be charged fairly substantial annual or monthly fees, even if you bundle LifeLock with Norton Security - see the current bundle prices for U.S. customers at https://us.norton.com/lifelock-identity-theft-protection.

The Identity Protection pillar on my main Norton interface only displays the status of Norton browser extensions like Norton Safe Web, Norton Password Manager, etc. I don't use any of these free Norton browser extensions in my Firefox ESR browser and the Norton Security Toolbar installed in my old IE9 browser is not configured so the Identity Protection pillar is greyed out on my Norton interface.

If the Norton Customer Service rep that reinstalled your NIS via a remote access session in 2018 upgraded you to a "free" trial of LifeLock, you might want to read the following articles before your Norton subscription comes up for renewal.  Kudos to Guru bjm_ for posting links to articles on credit monitoring / identity theft protection services in his Security News thread in the Norton Tech Outpost.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/03/are-credit-monitoring-services-worth-it/
https://www.howtogeek.com/398368/will-credit-monitoring-services-protect-me-after-a-data-breach/
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2017/11/please-dont-buy-this-identity-theft-protection-services/
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * NS Deluxe v22.15.1.8 * MB v3.5.1-1.0.365

Kudos0

Hi F4E,

I just want to fix this problem with Malwrebytes because I paid for it and it should work. I can still turned it on and do scans. I just close it down after the scan so that it doesn't interfere with the computer shutdown.

Amy

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

Yes, I did a few Live updates until everything was cleared. I do that everyday too. I do have the new v22.16.3.21 version. I think I am happy with the new reinstall. Everything seems to be working OK. I would try and see if I can deal with Malwarebytes over the weekend.

Thank you again,

Amy

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

I have been using Life Lock way before Norton bought it. I pay a separate annual fee for it. I just checked Norton and My Online Safety is greyed out because I did not set it up. I figured I have Life Lock already so I didn't. It is greyed out exactly like yours. I also have Firefox for a browser. Now that I that see the bundle prices I would have saved money if I bundle them. As a matter of fact, I am up for renewal of my Life Lock  at the end of February. I wonder if I can bundle them and save money. I just renewed Norton about a month ago. I appreciate the articles. After having Life Lock for so may years I don't know if I want to quit it.

Amy

Kudos1 Stats

Amylogamy:

...I have been using Life Lock way before Norton bought it. I pay a separate annual fee for it. I just checked Norton and My Online Safety is greyed out because I did not set it up. I figured I have Life Lock already so I didn't. It is greyed out exactly like yours. I also have Firefox for a browser....

Hi Amylogamy:

One of the Norton user who also subscribes to LifeLock would have to confirm, but the "Identity" pillar shown <here> in my Norton v22.15.1 interface was renamed to "Online Safety" in v22.6.0 (see the product update announcement <here>) and I don't think the status shown in that pillar currently has anything to do with your LifeLock credit monitoring.  As far as I know, that pillar only refers to the status of any Norton browser extensions you've added like Norton Password Manager and Norton Safe Web that protect your login passwords and credit card information while you're browsing or shopping online and prevent you from visiting phishing and other malicious web sites.

Also note that Norton changed the company logo on the Norton interface in v22.16.2 so that it now says Norton LifeLock (see the product update announcement <here>) but most Norton v22.16.2 and higher users see that new logo, even if they don't subscribe to LifeLock.

------------

Kudos0

lmacri:

...If Malwarebytes Premium v3.6.1 is still causing shutdown problems on your Win 7 machine after you've applied Component Package v1.0.527, you should post in the Malwarebytes 3 Support Forum at https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-3-support-forum/ and see what they have to say.  The bug fix in Component Package v1.0.527 might not have worked for your particular CPU / system configuration, or you might have a corrupted Malwarebytes installation that is still causing Windows shutdown problems.  They can provide instructions on how repair or reinstall Malwarebytes using their automated Malwarebytes Support Tool...

Hi Amylogamy:

Just an FYI that Malwarebytes v3.7.1.2839 was released on 05-Feb-2019 that includes a new Component Package v1.0.538.  Bug fixes are listed in the release notes at https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/242280-ladies-and-gentlemen-mb371/.

I don't know if this MB v3.7.1 update will solve your Norton Full System Scan problem and system shutdown errors (as previously noted, running the Malwarebytes Support Tool and selecting Advanced | Clean to perform a clean reinstall might be required), but if Settings | About shows that you still have v3.6.1.2711-1.0.527 you can go to Settings | Application | Application Updates and click the "Install Application Updates" button to immediately receive this product update.

Kudos to Krusty13 for posting about this MB v3.7.1 update in his Norton Tech Outpost thread Announcing Beta of Malwarebytes 3.0, a Next-Generation Antivirus Replacement.
------------

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

Sorry I have not posted before but I was a little under the weather the past few days. So I had not done anything with Malwarebytes until today. I did get the message from Krusty13 because I subscribed like you told me. I was just waiting to come from work and download the new version.  So I did. I did a scan afterwards and left it enabled. Now I am doing a Norton scan with the Malwarebytes enabled. Let's see if that fixes the problem.

It is definitely a Malwrebytes problem. After I reinstalled Norton I did several scans with no problem whatsoever. No hanging and no force shutdown. I even did a scan with Malwarebytes enabled and everything was OK. I thought everything was fixed. Then the next day I tried it again and it was total failure. First Norton was hanging and I had to force shut the computer. Back to square one.
So as long as Malwarebytes is not on or enabled at the same time as Norton, Norton works perfectly with no hangings and the computer shuts down normally. If this new version does not fix the problem then I would go for help to the Malwarebytes forum.

The Norton scan that I am doing right now is going to take a while so I would post again tomorrow and update the results.

Thank you again for your help!!!!!

Amy

Kudos0

Imho, Norton being the only real time protection is all you need.

I use MBytes Free just as a back up scanner, and not using real time protection.

It will still pick up pups and puas, which Norton doesn't regards as being malicious.

That way, there are no conflicts. Just my 2 C !

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

Hi F4E,

I know wheat you are saying but I paid for it and I want to be able to use it, besides I have been using them both at the same time for many years with no problems whatsoever. I am about to go to their forum to ask for their help to fix this problem.

Amy

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

So nothing changed after I updated Malwarebytes to the new version. I makes Norton hang and the computer cannot shutdown properly. I am about to go to their forum and ask for help. I don't know If want to do the Support Tool by myself. I would check it out. I would keep you posted.

Amy