• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Disable all Core Security features permanently??

I need help. Core Security is blocking my roommates pages, slowing gaming, and overall more hassle than it is worth. I can disable it, but it is only temporary. Actually it says for 30 minutes but usually disables it for 10+ hours. I have read that once a year is up the free subscription stops working and you basically have a dumb router again. I would like to do this now. I can't even go out on the weekend without someone texting me "Norton is blocking, can you disable the security again?". It's not a huge effort but I'm basically doing this every day of my life. I don't want to continue down this path for another 10 months. For the love of God, please help me

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Disable all Core Security features permanently??

FWIW I also called support. After a hour on the phone I got absolutely zero solutions. Also my roommates are all Developers or in school to be.. so I'm not worried about anyones' security, they can all take care of themselves. I bought the core because it looked kinda cool and reviews were good for speed and distance. With the security disabled it is exactly that.
Kudos0

The only way to "disable" Core is distinctly not using it unfortunately. Just unplug it and use your ISP device in its place. Your Norton Core Security Plus antiviral protection will remain in place as long as the subscription is active.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.316 / NCSP 22.16.4.15 / Norton Core v.270 on Android 1.93
Kudos0

That router is terrible. Won't reach half the house. I agree that the solution it to disable the subscription.. I would love too. Someone help me. Should not be that difficult for someone to go into a database and mark my account expired..
Kudos0

Or what if I called up and said I purchased this "used" and set up another account without a subscription??
Kudos0

@Gayathri_R Could you please assist? Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.316 / NCSP 22.16.4.15 / Norton Core v.270 on Android 1.93
Kudos0

Hmm. Dead end here too? So if I call with a ew email and said I bought it used.. will I be forced to buy a subscription?
Kudos0

Hi @mmiller40gt,

Could you please check your inbox when you get a chance? I have sent you a private message requesting additional information. Thank you. 

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

So an update.. someone from Norton contacted me and agreed to cancel the core security subscription. I was so happy. Well.. after the app showed my subscription canceled, I decided to test it out. Instantly "website blocked do to malicious content". Tried another... Same and and another.. ugh. Worse part is now the subscription is expired I can no longer go into the app and set security level to off. Zero control or ability to allow access on a router I paid over $200 for :( And on a side note... What are people paying for a subscription? It apparently does the same thing without a subscription, except you don't get any control of it in the app menus. :(
Kudos0

mmiller40gt. I have already as the question in a private area, regarding the end of support for Core post for Core in the US in 2021. That question was: "Will the Core be "unlocked" giving the owner FULL CONTROL over it with a firmware wipe before EOL?" Otherwise, Core becomes an expensive mantle piece or simply goes into the rubbish at that point. NO ANSWER to date. Your reply with your results is most likely part of the answer that Core owners will see IF they decide to "opt out" of current subscriptions. Doing so, the Norton cloud still sees your Core through the firmware and will block things which you will then, have zero control over. Norton should be willing to firmware flash Core and unlock it, taking it by serial number OFF the cloud network. Giving the owner full access via a web browser of choice at that point. THIS is what I EXPECT to happen at a personal level once support has ended yet am not holding my breath over it. I suppose we shall all have to wait and hope.

Cheers

Kudos0

What are people paying for a subscription?

The subscription also covers the Norton Security software installed on your devices. So if you have cancelled your subscription for the Core, you also have cancelled your security protection on all your devices. Unless, you are saying they cancelled the Core and transferred the protection to a regular Norton Security product.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.