• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Cloud Scan Failed

Hello.

I ran a scan with Norton Power Eraser two days ago and it found two malicious files. There was an option named Cloud Scan in the list which enables you to send the file to Symantec Cloud Servers for an online scan.

Everytime I clicked on that, it had showed me a message saying "Cloud Scan failed."

Let me mention that I checked my network connectivity and there was no problem. I clicked on the option "Cloud Scan" several times; but it always had showed the same message.

I attached a screenshot of the message. Please see that.

I think there's a problem on the server side.

Please someone inform the Norton Development Team to check this issue and fix it ASAP.

I'll wait for a response here.

Thank you in advance.

File Attachment: 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Cloud Scan Failed

Um, how do you know NPE found two malicious files. 
Curious, what does your Norton Security report for the File - Bad and Shortcut - Unknown. 

Have you restarted machine.
Have you restarted NPE. 
Built-in or stand-alone NPE?

idman.exe File may be your Internet Download Manager. 
attrman.exe Shortcut may be your Attribute Manager.

Thanks

Norton Power Eraser uses our most aggressive scanning technology to eliminate threats that traditional virus scanning doesn’t always detect, so you can get your PC back. Because Norton Power Eraser is an aggressive virus removal tool, it may mark a legitimate program for removal. However, you can always undo the results of a scan. It can also help detect and remove Potentially Unwanted Programs.
For instructions on using Norton Power Eraser, see the tutorial.

Kudos1 Stats

I know that these files are probably safe; but that's not my problem. My problem is the connection between NPE and its server for Cloud Scan (which NEVER establishes).

Yes, I restarted the machine. No difference.

Yes, I restarted NPE. No difference again.

It's the built-in NPE, the latest version available.

Yes, I know that idman.exe and attrman.exe are the executable files of IDM and Attribute Manager; BUT my problem is what I said above!

Thank you for the info. But I know EVERYTHING about the NPE. I already read all the tutorials about that on Norton's official website. So, that's not my problem. As I said before, my problem is what I explained above!

PLEASE inform Norton Development Team if you or someone else have any connection with them to fix this problem ASAP.

Thank you in advance.

Kudos0

Maybe, Chat with Official Norton Support to document NPE issue. 

PLEASE inform Norton Development Team if you or someone else have any connection with them to fix this problem ASAP.

Okay.  

Kudos0

Hi,

I will have the team try to reproduce the problem. In the meantime, can you share logs please?

Log location of NPE would be : C:\Users\--username–\AppData\Local\NPE\

Thank You,

Jeff

Kudos0

Hi. Thank you very much. Please fix the bug as soon as possible. It's really a critical bug. I'll wait for a response from you, here.

Here is the log file. I attached it.

Kudos0

Hi. A quick review of IDMan.exe and it looks like it could have low reputation (not many users), thus why NPE is flagging it.

It appears to be a downloader tool. https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/7907a8c9c692365700af5600c2c22707a4e967...

Will still have team review Cloud Scan connectivity issue.

Jeff

Kudos0

Hi. I could guess that it's because of low reputation of the file. But something I should mention, is that IDMan.exe is the CRACKED version of the program's executable file. MAYBE that's why Norton Power Eraser flags it as malicious!!!

Yes, please make them fix Cloud Scan connectivity issue and release an update for that. This is the main goal of my topic.

And please make a post here when something new happened about it.

I'll wait for your response.

Thank you again.

Kudos0

What does your Norton Security report for the CRACKED version of the program's executable file. 

Yes, your focus is fix Cloud Scan connectivity issue.

Yes, you know:
NPE does not detect malware (that is what Norton Security is for), it presents you with a list of files that could be malware.  It is meant to be run when your Norton program does not detect anything malicious but you still suspect that something may be acting suspiciously on your PC.  If there doesn't appear to be anything wrong, the results returned by NPE will almost always be safe files that belong to applications on your system.  NPE doesn't tell you much about a file because it really doesn't know much about the files it presents - that's the whole point, if Norton knew whether the file was actually malicious or not you would not have to run NPE, as Norton Security would catch it if it was malicious and NPE would not flag it if it was a known good file. 

Yes, we're aware that your focus is fix Cloud Scan connectivity issue.

Does stand-alone NPE have Cloud Scan connectivity issue?

Kudos1 Stats

When I scan it manually, it says No Threats Found and when I check it with File Insight, it shows that the file has Favorable reputation; both for IDMan.exe and attrman.exe.

Yes, exactly. The main reason I created this thread is to fix the connection problem between the client software and the server.

Thank you for the explanations you provided. I know all these things about NPE and Norton Security.

Yes. both stand-alone and built-in versions of Norton Power Eraser HAVE connectivity issue. I already tested both...

I'm still waiting for Norton employees to address the problem of connectivity and then make a post here.

Kudos0

Okay, I wondered what Norton Security reported re "CRACKED" version.  Thanks

I've run NPE since your opening post to see if I also have connectivity issue.  

No detections... so, nothing to query cloud. 

I've bumped into seemingly random connectivity issue before so, I do hear you.  

Regards

Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

Hi,

There were some issues with the Cloud Scan services this week. This has been resolved.

A cracked EXE will often be detected as potentially malicious since it does alter the hash value and would lower the prevalence.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Jeff

Kudos1 Stats

Hello again.

Thank you for your consideration. The problem has resolved. Now, when I click on Cloud Scan, it takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute to scan the file and at the end shows a message saying "Cloud Scan completed" with a green checkmark.

Kudos0

This means NPE uploaded a copy of that exe for a deeper analysis since it was not aware of that hash.

Green is good. :-)

Jeff

Kudos0

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.