• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Internet Will Not Open

I have Norton Internet installed on my Windows 10 laptop and have not had any problems with it for years until this week.  I tried to open Norton and it would not.  The icon on the start menu was grayed out but the desktop icon was normal.  I contacted tech support three times and after many hours of remote access it was decided it needed to go to Tier 3 support.  I was supposed to receive a call back.  No call back!  I called on the phone and checked via Chat but still have no resolution.  I know it is running in the background but I can't access it.  Any ideas?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Internet Will Not Open

@Triple L

For starters, please verify your desktop shortcut > Properties > shows the currently installed version of Norton.

Kudos0

Yes, my desktop shortcut shows it is installed.  The icon/tile on the start menu are grayed out with no logo.  When I click on the desktop I eventually get an error code of 8504, 102. As I said this was escalated to Tier 3 tech support but I have not heard back from them.

Kudos0

If the icon in your system tray is still active, right click on that and click on Run LiveUpdate. Do this as many times as necessary to get a result of No Updates Available. Then restart your computer. Not Shutdown and start up again if you have Windows Fast Startup feature enabled. If you use Windows 8/8.1 or 10, there can be an issue with the Windows Fast Startup feature.. See more information here.

Then see if your icons are showing correctly.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I've already tried to run Live Update this way.  All I get is an error message from Norton that says there is an error: Installation and live update failed (error code 8504, 102).  Tech Support Level 2 has already uninstalled and installed numerous times. Supposedly escalated to Tier 3 but still have not received a call back.

Kudos0

And have you tried disabling Windows Fast Startup feature and restarting our computer?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Windows Fast Startup has already been disabled.

Kudos0

Hi @Triple L,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. As per your Norton Support records team wants to gather additional logs for further investigation. I have sent you private message with instructions to capture and upload logs. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi Triple L:

Did the update to NIS v22.7.0.183 (released 11-Mar-2019 - see the product announcement <here>) solve your 8504, 102 errors?  If not, has Norton Support given you any indication of the possible cause?
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1.8

Kudos0

I have a similar problem with the same error code....just came up after last Windows Update today. When I go to Norton on the internet it says there's an issue with my computer, but no action can be taken. I tried reinstalling and LiveUpdate. I don't run the Windows fast startup either. LiveUpdate reported the error codes, looked for a fix, then came back with Installation: Success, Live Update: Failed

Now to run their troubleshooting tools....

The troubleshooting steps (Remove/Reinstall tool down load, Run tool, Restart, Reinstall) for these two error codes appear to have solved my issue.

Kudos0

Hi @jadams1010,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. Can you please provide below details for further investigation? 

Norton Security Installed version

Operating System (32/64bit)

Norton Error message/Error number (Screenshot)

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I no longer have a screen shot.

The Norton version currently installed is 22.16.4.15 which was the same version installed when I had the problem.

The error codes on the Live Update were 8504, 102. When LiveUpdate couldn't autofix the problem, I was offered a link for further troubleshooting this error and followed the steps. I only had to do this once.

64 Bit System Type: OSType64BitX64

Build: 10.0.17763.379

Kudos0

I have not received the latest upgrade.  My problem was fixed when Level 3 support finally sent back fixes to Level 2.  After many hours with remote support it was determined that I had to have Norton reinstalled under the Administrator permission.  The representative couldn't tell me exactly what was wrong but I was told "the problem was common".  If the problem was a common one why did it take almost a week for it to get fixed?

Kudos0

I changed my setting to administrator before I removed/reinstalled. I suspect the problem was an incompatibility with a script somewhere between the Windows update and the Norton installation. Removing and reinstalling probably fixed that incompatibility.
Kudos0

Hello

When ever you do an Update or change settings in your Norton product, you have to use a Windows Administrator Account.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.