• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

vpn.exe application error

After upgrading to Norton 360, whenever I shutdown or restart I get "Norton secure vpn.exe application error " and I have to click it before the restart can continue.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: vpn.exe application error

Hi Golden wizard:

Please see dpic44's VPN Not Starting After Reboot as well as JJGolf5343's Secure VPN - Inconsistent Does Not Turn On.  Several Norton users who were recently invited via e-mail to "upgrade" to the "new" Norton 360 as part of a beta test are currently having issues with the bundled Norton Secure VPN for Windows. From in Norton employee Gayathri_R's 19-Dec-2019 post in tzon89's thread Is This a New Product? Norton 360:

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/have-...

"A small group of users in the U.S. are being directed to test comprehensive plans on Norton.com. We’re looking forward to learning from them. Not everyone will have this opportunity since it’s a beta test. I have posted this information in the thread linked above. Thank you."

If your Norton interface looks like the screenshot posted <here> in dpic44's thread (i.e., with Secure VPN listed as a bundled feature) then you were one of the N360 users invited to "upgrade" and become a beta tester. From peterweb's 18-Feb-2019 post <here> in dpic44'st thread:

"I got an answer on the automatic startup of the VPN with the new 360 product. Unfortunately, due to some compatibility issues, the auto start feature was not included with the version in 360. You have to manually start it after a system restart. Apparently it is being looked at again."

----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1.8

Kudos0

Hmmm, I don't have this problem as the VPN feature won't start up at all. I was fooled by the offer to upgrade to Norton 360 with no additional payment for the remainder of my subscription period. There was no mention of it being a beta! If I'd known that I wouldn't have touched it with a 10 foot pole. And now I discover that it won't autostart as thye stand alone version does. What a pain!

Anyway, I downloaded it apparently successfully and clicked the "turn on" button for the VPN feature ... nothing happened. No icon appeared in the tray, no app was shown in task manager and no error message was shown. I have two PCs, one with windows 7 and one with windows 10. The problem I'm having is on the windows 7 PC so I can't tell if that is a factor, but there's no way I'm putting it on my other PC until I have this sorted out. In fact, what I'd really prefer is to revert to the original version of Norton, that I was totally happy with, and maybe look into another VPN product.  Anyone know if that is possible?

Kudos1 Stats

Norton is aware of the connection issues with this new 360 version of the VPN. 

One user has found a work around that seems to work for them. See this post...  https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8092101#comment-8092101

I would try contacting Norton Support and ask them if you can go back to your original Norton product.    www.norton.com/contactcs     Please let us know if they are able to do this for you.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos2 Stats

Well, I got the upgrade reversed. Only two hours with Norton Support. Here's how it went.

1. Chatted with Support, explained the problem.

2. A nice lady offered to try to fix the VPN problem, but I said to please just revert to the original version.

3. Long time on hold while she tried to find out how to do it.

4. She transferred me to another team, without passing any information, even who I was. (Not uncommon on support lines unfortunately).

5. Explained it all again to an equally nice man, who said he could reverse it for me, but I would have to purchase the "old" product again. I said, wait a minute now, I had 325 days to go under the original subscription. On hold again while he looked it up, and then he could do it for free. I'm guessing that the upgrade cancels the original subscription so it looks like it has expired. Anyway he set it up with 325 days to run, plus an extra 10 days for my trouble.

6. A bit more fiddling on my PC, and it's my nice, familiar, WORKING Norton again. 

I had decided that if I didn't get satisfaction on this I would keep the new version without trying to use the VPN, and switch to another product (Bitdefender looks good) when the subscription ran out. I also tried NordVPN as a possible alternative, but it reduced my download speed to under 100mbps from the 300 I normally enjoy, so I'm now trying to get my money back from them.

Serves me right I guess for trying new things. Thanks for the assistance.    

Kudos0

Good news. Thanks for letting us know.

You could try the separate Norton Secure VPN service. It is not the same version number of the one included with the new 360. It works fine with my Norton Security Premium product.

Kudos0

Yes, but I would have to pay for it. Also, belatedly looking at reviews, the Norton product doesn't score too well against competitors. I'll chalk all this wasted time up to experience and just continue with the Norton I have always found to be satisfactory. 

I get the feeling they may be regretting this 360 release, but I could be wrong.

Kudos0

I get the feeling they may be regretting this 360 release, but I could be wrong.

Obviously, only time will tell. What some of us here regret is that they are pushing this beta product out to unsuspecting users with no notification that it is a beta product.

Kudos0

Hi Golden wizard:

From today's product update announcement Norton Secure VPN 2.3 for Windows Has Been Released:

Note: 

• This update is available via LiveUpdate for customers running new Norton 360 product [US ONLY].
  • This update is NOT available for customers running Norton Secure VPN 1.7 Standalone Version.

3. What are the changes in this build?

• Fixed the below issues:
    • Norton Secure VPN stays at "Connecting".
    • Incorrect message: "No Internet connection" appears on Norton dashboard.
    • Norton Secure VPN: Memory reference error while restarting or shutdown.
  • Performance enhancements

Let us know if Norton Secure VPN v2.3.0.549 for Windows has fixed the VPN errors in your "new" Norton 360 beta.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1.8

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.