• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton VPN

Purchased Norton VPN back in January.  Get error messages when trying to access certain websites that were accessible before getting the Norton VPN.  Error messages include: Error 403, Access Denied, This Site Can't Be Reached, and RevocationTo The Security Certificate For This Site Is Not Available.  On this last error message, I have to click Yes several times to get rid of it.  I've been on Chat Tech Line three times and the last time I was told to disconnect the VPN.  So what is the point of having the VPN if I have to disconnect every time I want to get on a website.  I am not happy with NortonVPN.  It's too late for me to get a refund, but I will definitely not be renewing it.  I would advise others to wait and see if Norton fixes the bugs with the VPN before considering a purchase.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton VPN

What you may be seeing is web sites that block users using a VPN. Not sure if it is for legal or just protection reasons. Can you give an example of one of the trouble web sites?  I would suggest you contact the web sites to ask if they have issues with VPNs.

Have you tried changing your virtual location country in Norton VPN?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I have the same issues after recently purchasing VPN. Websites won't load all of a sudden, on some of them the active content doesn't work, and I have had it twice that I was refused entry because I was apparently not in the allowed country, which was clearly nonsense.

The latter ties in with the advice given above to change the 'virtual location country'. When I tried that I discovered that when I click on the icon in the Windows 10 Start Menu nothing happens, i.e. the actual programme does't seem to open. But there is a folder Norton Secure VPN in Program Files (x86).

Is there anything I can do to solve this other than to uninstall the VPN and ask for a refund?

Kudos0

Herr Manni

I have had it twice that I was refused entry because I was apparently not in the allowed country, which was clearly nonsense.

What country was used in Norton VPN for your virtual location and what country was the web site you were trying to reach? As an example, in the US, many video streaming sites restrict access to only US residents. Anyone outside the US is blocked from accessing content. Setting the VPN to US usually allows access. Unless the web site can determine a VPN is trying to access the site and then block access anyway.

When I tried that I discovered that when I click on the icon in the Windows 10 Start Menu nothing happens, i.e. the actual programme does't seem to open. 

Do you restart your system often or do you allow it to sleep/hibernate? I find that after a couple of days of letting my laptop sleep numerous times a day, the VPN can become unstable. This is usually fixed by a system restart, or even just logging out of my Windows user account and logging back in.

Kudos0

Dear peterweb

many thank for your reply. I have no idea what country was used in the setup. After downloading I had an .exe file in the Downloads folder, which I clicked. Beyond that everything else seemed to run automatically. As far as I remember, no choice came up with regards to the country of residence.

Because the suggestion was made elsewhere to change the setting I wanted to open VPN and then discovered nothing happened. I do switch it to sleep or even shut down a couple of times a day so I will try what you said and log out and back into my user account.

Kudos0

If you are shutting down and starting up again with the Windows Fast Startup feature enabled, you may not be getting a complete shutdown required to fully reset and update Norton.   If you use Windows 8/8.1 or 10, there can be an issue with the Windows Fast Startup feature.. See more information here.

When you first start Windows and Norton VPN starts up, if you click on the icon in the system tray, you will see "you appear to be in 'country'. "  By default, Norton VPN will connect automatically to the best connection available. Usually it is your actual country of residence. If you wish to change that country, click on the icon in the system tray, then click on Virtual Location tab. Scroll through the countries in the list until you find the one you wish to appear to be in.

Kudos0

Once again thanks for the advice.

1. I think with regards to the Fast Start Up you are on to something. Ever since I installed Windows 10 I get two boxes on start up - Fast Start Up and Battery Saving. Apparently, both don't work because their relevant drivers are not installed but when I searched for them it turned out that those drivers are no longer available so I just lived with it. I have gone through the steps as described behind the link that you provided and (hopefully) turned off Fast Start Up.
  2. The VPN issue is for the moment still the same. I couldn't see the icon in the system tray. Perhaps I was too slow. On next start up I will try again.
    1. Yesterday I tried Support Chat and the person there suggested for me to let him take control remotely and find the problem. Unfortunately he seemed to have forgotten about me. After 50 minutes of waiting I gave up but will try that again today as well.

If there are any results I will post them here for future reference.

Kudos1 Stats

Herr Manni

Are you using a Windows Admin account when you install Norton VPN, and then using a Windows Standard user account when the icon does not show up? If so, this is something I have seen before. 

If this is what has happened, log into your standard Windows user account. Then open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Secure VPN\client\Norton Secure VPN.exe   Right click on that file and Create a Shortcut on your desktop for future use.  Then double click on the icon to start up Norton VPN. When you see the icon in the system tray, click it and then click on the gear icon for settings. Ensure that Launch at Startup is checked, and if you want the VPN active on startup, check the Automatically Connect option.

Kudos0

Oh dear, I'm afraid you are grossly overestimating my IT prowess. I couldn't even begin to answer your question about the accounts. However, I have copied your comment and I will look into that later.

For now the verdict is: switch off the VPN. This time I was in luck and the remote connection to the support person worked. Funnily enough, all of a sudden I have an icon for the VPN in the system tray (before there was only one for Norton Security). This is anything but ideal. He said that this is the fault of websites blocking VPNs. So much for Internet security. To be honest, for me that might not be that much of an issue beyond being an inconvenience, as the websites I had trouble with (at least so far) are about as trustworthy as they get. With any others I will just have to make a decision whether I accept a higher risk and switch the VPN off or forego whatever joy they might offer.

Thank you very much for all your kind advice. I will log off and back in now to see what has happened to the Fast Start and whether the VPN icon comes back. If I have any further info regarding this issue I will post it here again.

All fun and games

Kudos0

Herr Manni

Looking back to your earlier post....

when I click on the icon in the Windows 10 Start Menu nothing happens, i.e. the actual programme does't seem to open. 

This sounds like the correct way for the program to work. When you start Norton VPN from the Windows Start menu, the interface does not come up. You need to click on the icon in your system tray to bring up the VPN interface.

Kudos0

Thank you peterweb for all your help. That has, at least, explained the issue

It is obvious now that I have flushed £19 down the drain. Not only do I have to turn off the VPN for a number of websites I have also found out that I cannot use my wireless printer with it!

Unbelievable

Kudos0

Have you tried any other VPNs? Maybe uninstall Norton VPN, then try one of the free VPNs to see if you still have trouble accessing the web sites that Norton had problems with.

I'm not sure I understand how the VPN would block a wireless printer. Do you get any error messages when trying to access the printer?

Kudos0

Hi, I'm afraid I couldn't tell you why the VPN might block a printer. It is just one of the possible reasons listed on the HP support site. I'm still looking at other issues but will definitely follow your advice and try one of those free VPNs. Could you recommend any or is it a matter of asking good old Dr. Google?

Kudos0

Google is your friend. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.