• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Automatic background tasks not working

Everything working OK up to yesterday & first boot of today. Thereafter automatic background tasks that require to be in idle, Live Update, Scan and other various items not working although computer shows in idle mode on performance tabs. Noticed on Desktop this morning (UK) all worked then not working thereafter. Tried on Laptop (not been on since Monday), initially all worked OK then stopped. Something happened in the first update today on both. Any one else with issues ?. Did notice Monday, 'Product Update' came thru' mid morning (after laptop shutdown), same came thru' mid day today on booting Laptop. Updated to 22.17 towards end of last week, no problems till today

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Automatic background tasks not working

Hello

They aren't fixed for me. Instead of getting quick scans 1 time every other day, I am now getting 1 scan per 24 hours for the last 4 days. Still only getting 4 Automatic Live Updates in 24 hours despite getting 3 sets of SDS definitions during the week. Automatic Full system scan is supposed to run overnight on Sunday night. It never did run this past week. NCW works, but you can't read what it says due to another error in another thread. The coding in NCW is messed up so the different lines don't come out right

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Not saying my problem is solved just that majority of tasks auto updated earlier today.  Tonight Auto Live Update ran but not Quick Scan but there weren't any SDS  definitions tonight.  Maybe they come once  daily?   I ran Quick Scan manually tonight as no scan was run since early afternoon when I booted up computer. Problems still exist and are sporadic.  We can't be the only ones experiencing these issues surely unless we are among the few who received the first release of the product update. 

Will be happy when this is resolved and Norton working correctly.. 

Kudos0

Had 2 - 3 reasonable days on laptop, did get 3 LUD's during total of 8-10 hours a day on & off. Sometimes SDS defs. received and then triggered auto scan, other tasks working, Norton Insight never worked auto since the 19th when the issues arose. Got Desktop back yesterday, they done a reset as I had done, was still showing problems. Had to do other work to get running OK, engineer not there but may have had to completely clean out & reinstall system. A reset was not working, this should have reinstalled from recovery partition - was this changed in some way during my on-line session - he was altering system files left, right & centre but too fast to see exactly what.

Reinstalled yesterday PM, ran auto LUD on installation, then another 16 mins. later with SDS defs. received. which triggered Quick Scan. Then done manual with 13 updates. Later had another LUD with more SDS defs. auto scan ran 18 mins later, may have not been in idle till then. Auto LUD ran again a hour later (not actually an hour but 1 hour & 44 seconds), that is what it should do.This morning LUD's ran but no SDS received. Still no Norton Insight running, now ID backs not run yet although it should. Strange thing yesterday morning, booted Laptop & with-in 4-5 minutes, system tray icon showed Norton Background Tasks running, according to my delays it should have not. History etc. no record of anything running. Tibbies4life comment about early release we can dismiss, I have had 2 reinstalls, virgin install on Desktop after resetting Windows and again yesterday PM after a fuller Windows reset done by service engineers. Perhaps if issues occurred on a consistent basis you could half accept it but everything is completely haphazard, no rhyme or reason and completely unpredictable.

Kudos0

Tibbies4Life, Floplot. Before issues, Live Update would run every hour if left on permanent idle. I'm UK based, auto live update would pick up overnight SDS def. on boot between 6:00 and 7:00 am on 1st boot. Normally would boot again early afternoon and receive more SDS defs., so for me, 2 issues a day. Weekends would only get  the early am version. When 'Virus Defs' preceeded the SDD  defs, these could 4-5 times a day. Desktop ran Auto LUD 1st thing and auto 3 hours later when 1st idle period occurred.

Laptop on about same time this morning, Auto LUD ran, not ran since although in idle (spent most of time sorting out Desktop IE favourites after having to import from saved version - don't export/import as customised version. More hours required after Norton disabled my computer for 5/6 days.

It appears after installing latest version yesterday, still no further forward with these issues being solved, have a reasonable day, then next back to these issues.

Kudos0

floplot:
...Automatic Full system scan is supposed to run overnight on Sunday night. It never did run this past week...

Hi floplot:

Fingers crossed your Full System Scan runs tomorrow morning (Monday) as scheduled.  Every Norton product update I've received since v22.7.1.32 was released in Sep 2016 changes the Last Run date/time to Never and Duration to 00:00:00 for my Full System Scan (Settings | Administrative Settings | Background Tasks | Configure) and my monthly Full System Scan stops running on schedule.  After every product update I have to go to Settings | Antivirus | Scans and Risks | Full System Scan | Configure and edit the scan schedule (e.g., change the start time from 6 AM to 7 AM, or the start day from the 1st day of the month to the 2nd day of the month) and the scans will start again as scheduled.  Here are examples of two past posts about this custom scan problem:
     Sep 2016: Norton Insight Fails to Run
     Aug 2018: Possible v22.15.0.88 Bug - Update Wipes Norton Firewall Program Rules

Reading through mgirons' 2016 thread Norton Insight Fails to Run reminded me that a hotfix that did not change the product version number was eventually released via LiveUpdate to fix that particular Norton Insight / Insight Maintenance problem.  I don't know if it's a coincidence that the problems with my scheduled Full System Scans started just after that hotfix was released. See the Aug 2016 Norton 22.7.1.32 product update announcement <here> which states in part:

[Update on 9-September-2016: A Norton product HOTFIX has been released via LiveUpdate to fix the 'Computer no longer goes into sleep mode' issue and the 'Norton Insight fails to run' issue . This patch targets all 22.7.1 layouts which requires a reboot in all operating systems and will not change the product version. It will appear in LiveUpdate and History as "NS/NSBU/NIS/NAV/N360 Product Update"]

----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1.8

Kudos0

Imacri, If I remember, at that time, Insight Maintenance was not working either so we were left with manually running Insight. This time different, I am receiving the maintenance updates but that is it, Insight itself not working on auto.Today have received 3 auto LUD's, one on boot (7 hour rule), others ran at idle, 3 hrs after boot, then next 1 hr 20 mins later. Today still trying to sort and return apps, data etc. from complete computer reset after issue encountered following on-line support (see previous postings) so not been in idle mode a lot so far today although did shut down a couple of hours to reset myself and trying to recall what apps were installed, what was the order of my browser links and favourites etc. this involves hours at keyboard all caused by some irk at Norton support. Here in UK, clocks went forward an hour for DST so effectively lost an hour anyway. We all seem to have the same basic problems, surely we have not done anything wrong except update Norton, I'm not Sherlock Homes but I reckon problems are all down to Norton. Even have the cheek to request Log Files, already given during fateful support session - look what it did for me.

Update:- left computer alone after saving this original positng, went into idle, LUD ran on auto. Norton Insight due to run in hours time. Also NPWM backup ran. Seems not a bad day so far. Might be a good idea to let Norton **** your computer up, reinstall system, software etc., might get things working properly.

Kudos0

Latest Update. Following last posting, auto live update ran 6:07 pm (mentioned above). Left computer idle whist preparing evening meal, auto LUD ran @ 7:07 pm immediately followed by Quick Scan, this is what it should do. Today, actually LUD has auto run 5 times including that at 1st boot along with 1 auto scan after receipt of SDS defs @ 7:07 pm. Can someone please explain what is going on here.

Kudos0

We are going to have to wait for Symantec to fix this issue.  There isn't any reliable task routine  and run at sporadic times if at all.  I get different results each day.   My Full Scan is set to run Sat. at 10:00am but didn't run until 2:00pm Sat.   Today Auto LU ran with SDS definitions but Quick Scan failed to initiate.  I had to run that manually.  I'm only getting 1 automatic LU daily...should be more.  When I run LU manually after hours waiting for it to update there are about 4-5 updates.  I too uninstalled and reinstalled via Norton Support thinking product update on 3/19 I received was corrupted file.  Same issues persisted after fresh install.  This is a product issue Norton needs to fix.  All was working just fine before this latest update.

Kudos0

Hello

On weekends, there is  supposed to be 1 SDS definition download per day and then the quick scan should run when the computer is idle. lmacri, when I get a new Norton version update, I always check the settings for anything new and for changes including things that are scheduled by me, so I know the settings are correct. Besides I got the new version update on March 12 and this issue didn't start until March 19, one week later so I don't think it has anything to do with update unless they added something after the update. I am still getting 4 Live Updates per day and my computer is on 24/7. They are supposed to get checked every hour for any new updates. I don't know how many times a day I  am supposed to get the Live Updates, but most times I never got more than 3 new updates each time. Now  with only 4 updates a day, I get between 5 to 7 updates each time. During the week, I do get 3 SDS downloads a day, but now only get 1 quick scan a day. Since my computer is on all the time, there are plenty of times when my computer is idle, so there is time for the scans to run the 3 times a day,but get 1 scan per day. No scans today yet. It's more than  24 hours since the last scan. The only improvement I have noticed over the last few days is that I get 1 quick scan a day instead of 1 every other day. I haven't reinstalled Norton yet though.

If we didn't look at the History Logs, we wouldn't know about these issues. Most run the virus scans once a month because they think all these other layers of support are working as they should. My son only looks at these things when I ask him about it. I doubt if my scan will run tonight at 3 AM. My issues started on the 19th and that is the date that Norton Core got a new Firmware. I have noticed problems with Core also. If this was all due to Core, then I would have the same type of issues with other devices and I don't.

Have you sent in the Logs to Norton? I see that some of you must have been asked by Sunil for Logs since Log collection has been added for this thread.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Yesterday was nearly there - today looks as though back to issues. 1st boot LUD ran but no SDS defs so no scan - both of these on auto yesterday PM. Today, already missed a couple of auto tasks. Bearing in mind, Norton was a clean install Saturday late morning after getting Windows reinstalled so Norton itself up to date as of then. I assume if any external sources such as virus etc would have been cleared from Windows install although if we have had something, Norton is supposed to block it. The issue referred to by Imacri re. Insight & Insight maintenance was finally put down to issues with Norton servers, they reported such I am sure - same this time ?

Kudos0

Nothing auto happened since last posting. 2nd manual LUD picked up SDS defs, auto scan did not run, had to do manual. Insight maintenance not run since yesterday pm. One thing that I have noticed. Had one reinstall, one clean reinstall & the latest install on in effect new computer (after not booting issues). Each time, the following day, everything seems OK except Norton Insight. Following day issues re-occur as with today. Installed Saturday pm, Sunday more or less working as it should, already today, same issues that everyone is having. Time Norton start taking these issues seriously, surely their thorough testing should have picked these up prior to issue.

Kudos0

Sunil G A just sent me message saying no one has sent logs so basically they have done all they can do.  I need his help in getting logs to him as his instructions are not helpful to me.  i'm not computer savvy at all.  But if you all have sent him logs he's telling me he hasn't received any of them so he can't do anything about issue.  I would send him logs but i need more help than his instructions he sent.

Kudos0

Bad day today, nothing really worked on Auto today except LUD at 1st boot. Another thing noticed as well. When everything was working OK, including yesterday, 1st day after install, when there was an outstanding task to run, once Idle entered, task would start immediately, now if it does run, it does not commence until in idle mode for 5-6 minutes. Had a few periods today when idle mode was showing on Performance Usage tab (40 mins), tasks due but did not run except on one occasion which was more or less 5 hours after 1st run just after boot.

Kudos0

Tibbies4life. I think it was Sunday 24th, was on chat to level 3 support, that's where I was left with an unworkable PC. I'm convinced, during that session, the agent took and downloaded logs. I was also requested to send logs but was unable to do so because computer was in for repair. It is a detailed listing of what is required, I would be unable do it. Could on-line support do it. I was asked a year or 2 ago for logs, but at that time had a contact from Norton living in Ireland that was very helpful and actually download from me. This I think proves there is no communication in Norton, I am 99.5% certain that logs were taken from me during that session, some of the screen shots shown in Sunil_GA's request  are what I saw on the screen at the time.

As you say, they just assume we know how to do these things, we are only users, the process seems rather involved. The request for log files below is totally meaningless, there is no detail at all - just a big sidestep now putting the issue over to us so they can wipe their hands of the whole affair.

Kudos0

migirons,

I totally agree with you!  Sunil G A said he has not received any logs from these posts.  Therefore he can't do anything further yet ignores my requests for his help in getting logs to him.  The process is complicated (for me anyway) and I need help.  So if you can't or don't know how to send logs they just wipe their hands and say contact them later if still having problems.  Not acceptable Norton!!

I don't know if Imacri and Floplot have sent logs....Sunil G A says he hasn't received anything.  I know they are experienced in dealing with Norton.  After my last online support session with Norton I'm very hesitant to let them touch my computer.  I had problems with 3 drivers after that session.  I think it is incumbent on Sunil G A to help us get logs to them if we are asking for help in the process.  Sending a "how to" sometimes isn't sufficient and I don't want to mess up my computer attempting what I don't understand. I'm not all that computer proficient.  I did it several years ago with help from another forum contributor but the process is now more involved.  

Maybe logs they downloaded from you last week never reached Sunil G A.  I guess you could give him your session # and he can extract them?  I don't know what logs are going to tell them other than tasks aren't working properly and running randomly.  New fresh installs of the product 22.17.0.183  fail to fix the problem.  Therefore it's in their release.    Our logs are going to show different and random times these tasks are running and it isn't the same for all of us.  They have something gone haywire in this latest product update.  I can't believe they can't reproduce it on on of their test computers.  It's not corrupted files on our end...it's their product.  

Norton online support didn't  know anything about Norton automated tasks.  They uninstalled and then reinstalled a fresh download of 22.17 then told me it is working (not) and then showed me how to run a custom full scan.  I didn't contact them for full scan!  I know how to do that.  

Kudos0

Tibbies4life. I have not sent logs to Sunil_GA but Norton Level Support has them. With trepidation, been onto support at front desk level. Agent was quite helpful, not condescending as most of their agents. I gather 'senior team' is dealing with it & will get back to me when resolved. They will not give date or time, mind you I have had two assurances before that they will contact me at agreed time & date, neither happened. Few days later Norton DID call & leave message to contact a specific person but as I cannot sit here 24/7 for a possible phone call, was not available. Tried to contact caller but ended up with another agent, you were lucky with only issues with 3 drivers, I had a ****ed computer.

Kudos0

Tibbies4Life:
....I don't know if Imacri and Floplot have sent logs....

Hi Tibbies4Life:

I assume Sunil_GA did not ask me to send diagnostic logs because I use NS Deluxe v22.15.1.8 (the legacy version for XP/Vista).  The v22.17.0.183 update being discussed in this thread is not compatible with my Vista SP2 OS.  See Norton Maintenance Mode for Windows XP and Windows Vista.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1.8

Kudos0

Hi Imacri, thanks for post.  That's understandable.  I guess I'll have to brave online support to help me get logs Sunil G A needs since he doesn't seem inclined to want to help me with them.  Very sad! 

Kudos0

Well, I contacted Norton Online Support to see if they could help me in getting logs to Sunil G A.   They referred me back to this forum.   They  kept asking if I need info on how to run a custom scan!  What the heck?!  I don't know where they even got that idea.  Honestly....my confidence in Norton Support is almost gone!   I'm waiting for a reply from Sunil G A to my request for his help.  I don't know what else to do.  ..?   

Kudos0

Floplot, did you send logs to Sunil G A?   He said he hasn't received any from posters in this post.  I need his help in getting logs to him and have messaged him.  Waiting to hear from him.

Kudos0

Hello

Sunil knows not to ask me for logs.I have had no quick or full idle scans despite getting my SDS defs. The last scan I had was last night after 11:15. It's almost that time now. One improvement I think I have seen. There were no Live Updates from 11:30 last night until just after noontime today, Monday.. Starting at 1:15 this afternoon and almost every hour, I was getting Automatic Live Updates until 8:15 That was way more than my 4 updates a day. I was idle for a while just after getting my last SDS def., but no scan has happened. I wish I could get in touch with one of the Symantec Employees who could help in getting the logs. I don't have my way of contacting like I used to.

Have a Good Night and 

Thanks.

Kudos0

I think the joke is now wearing very thin. We need an immediate resolution to this Norton induced issue. We are effectively paying for a service we are not receiving. The onus now being put onto us users to provide logs. If someone at Norton uses the product in the real world like all of us, they can surely provide their own logs - that to me sounds the logical thing to do - why don't they just do this simple thing when the issue will be revealed to them. I'm not Einstein but under Quick Controls is "Automatic Live Update' but I think I know the meaning of automatic, this is not happening Norton. Please, please Norton re-release 22.16 whilst this issue is resolved.

Kudos0

As long as the manual updates are kept up, is the AV and Firewall as effective as they're supposed to be?

I can get free McAfee with my ISP, but always went with Norton because I thought they were better.

Kudos0

wls:

As long as the manual updates are kept up, is the AV and Firewall as effective as they're supposed to be?

I can get free McAfee with my ISP, but always went with Norton because I thought they were better.

Please see my post here for a way to check if Norton is working as expected.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8115111#comment-8115111

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Thanks.

My PC failed the Phishing test, but then I don't have the Chrome extensions installed either.  However, it blocked the other tests.

Kudos0

I've been following this thread with interest as I'm seeing similar problems.  "Similar" because the automatic tasks are running on my PC (under Win 7 Pro 64 bit) but very erratically, with irregular, extended intervals between runs.  Norton Insight is the most erratic - it previously ran daily but now runs only every 2 -3 days.   It ran at 1715 on March 28, then at 1849 on March 30 but not again until 0037 today (April 2).  Insight Maintenance is running reasonably regularly, but not Insight itself.

The other three maintenance tasks (Licensing Maintenance, AntiSpam Maintenance and Product Maintenance) appear to be running regularly most of the time but, at least once a day, there is a pause of 2 - 3 hours in which they don't run.  Occasionally, Product Maintenance runs twice within 2-3 minutes.     Although Product Maintenance is running most of the time at its usual 30 minute intervals, it is running for much longer than usual (particularly after those 2 -3 hour pauses).   This had drawn my attention to the fact that 22.17 has partially re-introduced another old problem - the growth in size of the diStRptr.dat file, which occurs when Norton Community Watch cannot access the stats.norton.com server to post statistical submissions.

Back in 2015 and 2016 I posted threads on this subject (https://community.norton.com/en/forums/progressive-slowing-nis-gui-launch and https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-community-watch-needs-entry-hosts-file-function-correctly).   With that original problem, neither Community Watch nor Product Maintenance, which clears any backlog from diStRptr.dat, could contact the server but now it seems that Community Watch can't contact the server, meaning that diStRptr.dat builds up in size, but Product Maintenance can, leading to the extended run times while it clears the backlog from diStRptr.dat.

Since I resolved the original issue, I have never seen diStRptr.dat grow bigger than its base size of 34KB and the run times of Product Maintenance have only rarely exceeded 1-2 seconds but, since the update to 22.17, diStRptr.dat can now grow to over 1MB and the run times of Product Maintenance are sometimes over 2 minutes.

I will start a separate thread on this diStRptr.dat issue as I don't want to sidetrack this thread from the original topic but I thought it was worth mentioning here.

One thing I did discover while following up on the diStRptr.dat problem is that stats.norton.com is no longer a physical Norton server but is now an alias for statsipv6.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com.    I also ran Windows Resource Monitor and watched the Network Activity tab for 30 mins or so.  All of the IP addresses that Norton accessed during that period map back to Microsoft Azure cloud services.  What I don't know is whether this switch to using cloud servers rather that dedicated Norton servers came with the release of 22.17  or whether it pre-dates it.  If the change is a feature of 22.17 then it raises the question of whether the problems we are all seeing with 22.17 are issues within with the product itself or issues with the cloud servers.

Either way, the problems leave zero confidence in the Norton product and generate the feeling that 22.17 was not released - it escaped!    Norton/Symantec should do the right thing and take it back into captivity by pushing out a reversion to 22.16 via Live Update.  (As suggested by mgirons earlier.)  

Kudos0

An update to my previous post -  I've now created the separate thread re the diStRptr.dat issue:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/22170183-reintroduces-distrptrdat-problem

Kudos0

Thanks Kencl, I think you may be right...22.17 escaped and wasn't ready for release!  If people are experiencing this issue with auto tasks not running or not running properly I really encourage them to post on this thread otherwise Norton isn't going to do anything to fix it.  We can't be the only few people in the world experiencing this problem.  My Insight Maintenance hasn't run since 3/30.  We are paying for an automated AV software not one that has to be run manually to protect ourselves!  This latest release was not ready and Norton should rollback to earlier version so we have properly functioning AV.   

Kudos0

This escape is not alone, seems to happen quite often - now par for the course to get a buggy release. Worried what is going to happen when they are released and auto install- remember the issue that wiped out Windows Scheduled Tasks ? Can't remember if it was that one but there was one that was pulled 3/4 times before final version. Norton need to test, test and test again in the real world not just in their developer's office, surely that is a fairly easy thing to do, just need half a dozen Norton employees to sit at home and install & use Norton as we users do.

Kudos0

Still no improvement - mixture of good days where most might properly some time during the day, others where perhaps only getting two LUD's a day - like today - exactly 7 hours apart to the minute. 1st included SDS defs. auto scan ran, all bottom 4 grey tasks ran. 2nd auto LUD picked up more SDS defs. auto scan did not work.  Nearly 12 hours after 1st boot, Insight maintenance stuck on 1st update of day. Computer shut down for 3 hours of the 12 - plenty of Idle periods for tasks to run. It's all so unpredictable. Is Norton aware of all their user's concerned - are we fully protected as we are paying for. Come on Norton - pull your figure out and get this resolved before we lose all confidence.

Kudos0

I am still having random scans but not all auto update or scan as they should.  Norton seems to have gone silent. Sunil G A was going to find a way to help me get logs to him but that was days ago.  Problem still exists!

Kudos1 Stats

Hi @Tibbies4Life, We have revived logs provided by "mgirons" via support. Our team working on this issue and a fix will be released to address this issue soon. Thanks

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

@Sunil G A

That is music to my ears!  Thank you for the update.  It's getting old having to monitor and run tasks manually on a product that should be automated.  I will be waiting to hear from you when it is resolved!

Kudos0

Up early or late depending how you look at it. Had NGC product up date through this morning !.  Wonder what this about ?

Kudos0

I got NGC product update it at 3pm today as well in US.   I believe these are attempts to fix tasks.  I think Sunil G A will post here when the problem is deemed fixed.

Kudos0

I've also just received  NGC Product Update here in UK   Update size 314.39KB .  Installed OK with no reboot required.  I got it by running Live Update manually as the recent auto run failed as my router had hung  up and needed rebooting.  (That courtesy of a recent flakey Netgear firmware update (another "escape")- but that's another story.)  I'll keep monitoring and see how things go.

Interestingly, I checked Norton on my wife's laptop yesterday and all auto tasks were running well. But then I realized that it was still running 22.16.. During the evening it got the 22.17.0.183 update, which seemingly fully installed without the need for a reboot - maybe it does under Win 10 (1809) which is the OS on that laptop.  I'm more used to reboots being necessary for new Norton versions in the Win 7 environment on this PC.

I'll monitor performance on the laptop and also check whether it gets today's product update.

Re my original post, I noted that (on this PC) Norton Insight had last run at 0037 on April 2, after a 2 day 6 hour interval.  It ran again yesterday (April 4) at 1515.

Kudos0

An update on my last.  Since getting the Product Update on this PC almost all the automatic tasks have run:  Live Update, Chrome Temporary File Cleaner, Internet Explorer History Cleaner, Internet Explorer Temporary File Cleaner, Norton Community Watch, Quick Scan,  Windows Temporary File Cleaner and the four Maintenance tasks.  That just leaves Full System Scan, which last ran  a week ago on March 29 at 2107 so, with my every 7 day scheduling, it should run again this evening and Norton Insight which, as it ran yesterday at 1515, should run again this afternoon, if that's now back to normal.

Re the laptop, further checking reveals that it received the 314.39KB Product Update yesterday evening a couple of hours after receiving a 156KB Product Update.  One of those (I'm guessing the first) must have moved the laptop up from 22.16... to 22.17.0.183.  That puzzles me slightly as I thought the  22.17 update was a full engine upgrade, not just a Product Update.  I'm now searching back through the Live Update history on this PC to see when and how the move to 22.17 occurred on here.  If was just a Product Update, that explains why the laptop didn't need a reboot.  (Nothing to do with it being Win 10, as per my earlier speculation.)

Kudos0

I have also been having trouble with automatic background tasks acting erratic.  This started after the ver. 22.17.0.183 update.  I can get a liveupdate  after exiting sleep mode but none any other time unless I do it manually.  Quick scan behaves the same.  The problem behaves the same on all 3 of my Windows 7 machines.  I don't know if there is a fix yet.....if so will someone please reply?  Thanks.

Kudos0

Yes, stevemomm51, there does appear to be a fix out, as per the last few posts on this thread, although Sunil-GA has not confirmed that yet.  Keep running Live Update until you get a 314.39KB NGC Product Update.  That update appears to fix the problem(s).

Update on my last post, Norton Insight did run pretty much on schedule on this PC at 1516.  (My earlier posts weren't quite right - the previous run was at 1505 yesterday, not 1515.)  So just this evening's scheduled Full System Scan to go now.

Also all tasks seem to be running OK on the laptop.  Insight Maintenance did cancel itself after 4mins50 at 1255 but it ran again successfully (for only 1 second) at 1522, as did Norton Insight itself.

Kudos0

Only had Desktop on today. Since that NGC update, ALL tasks seem to run as they should so it was a buggy release by NORTON - they should be ashamed of themselves for causing all this hassle (and breaking my computer). Please, Norton, don't let this sort of thing happen again, make sure all future releases are 100% and well tested before release. Hopefully this fix is a permanent cure.

Kudos0

I'm still testing my computer.  Auto LU ran minutes ago but waiting to see if Quick Scan follows.  Not going to say it's fixed until I have seen it update all tasks in next 24 hours. So far my tasks are still showing 4/4.

Kudos0

So far all seems to be working ok.  I agree with mgirons this should never happen.    My confidence in Norton has certainly been diminished over this.   Additionally my recent 2 experiences with Norton Online Support was a joke....no confidence in them whatsoever.   All they know how to do is uninstall and reinstall NIS.  They messed up 3 of my drivers after deleting files right and left and didn't allow me to interact with them via chat box until after they were done messing with my files.  Very reckless and dangerous!  I just want Norton Internet Security to work like it's supposed to and Symantec to listen when multiple users are experiencing the same problem and respond quickly. The fix seemed to come quickly so  why was it so hard to find?  We all reported the same experiences after 22.17 release. 

Kudos0

As promised, a further update from me.  My scheduled Full System Scan ran OK at 2211.  So it certainly looks like all the Automatic Background Tasks are now running as expected.

It also appears that the other problem I mentioned in my first post on this thread - the build up of the diStRptr.dat file and the resultant extended run times of Product Maintenance - has also been fixed by today's update.  But I'll post more details for that on the separate thread I set up for that problem.

I've also finished going back through the Live Update history on this PC to see how and when the update to 22.17.0.183 happened, so I can then compare it with the history on our laptop.   (A task not made easier by the fact that Symantec still haven't fixed the annoyance where the list of history items is reloaded every time you exit from the "More Options" screen.)    The process seems to start at 0104 on March 13 with a Live Update entry for ENGINE,NGC, INSTALLDIR (134.74MB), which required a reboot.  Then at 1207 on the same day there were two NGC Product Updates (155.62KB and 314.39KB).  At that point Live Update appeared to still be running on more or less an hourly basis.  But at 1359 on March 18 there was a further NGC Product Update, again of 314.39KB, after which the runs of Live Update became infrequent and irregular, averaging only 3 times per day.

Finally, we had what appears to be the fix with the latest NGC Product Update (314.39KB once more), received by me at 1205 on April 5.  (All times quoted are UK time.)

Kudos0

Hello

I started noticing changes last night on April 4. I had been getting my SDS definitions. All of a sudden I took a look at the logs. I noticed I had a Quick Scan. 5 minutes later I had a Live Full System scan. That was a Thursday night. I'm supposed to have my full scans on Monday morning at 3 AM. I had missed 2 Monday morning scans. I was surprised by that full system scan. I saw that there were Automatic Live Updates almost every hour to the minute almost. I got my SDS definitions 3 times today and also 3 quick scans. Since I had that unscheduled full system scan on Thursday night, I do have to wonder if I will get my scheduled full system scan on Monday morning at 3 A M. My file cleaning for Chrome and IE is supposed to happen on Monday morning early also. That hasn't happened since this problem started. Will have to wait for that for Monday to see if that happens and also the full scan.

It's the weekend now, so there will be no news from Sunil until after the weekend.   

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.        

Kudos0

Hello,, today 4/5 my automatic LU ran 3 times however Quick Scan only ran 1 time.  Others are reporting more Quick Scans.  So not sure this issue is totally resolved yet.  Insight Maintenance has been running daily as is Norton Insight which is an improvement along with Automatic Live Updates but no improvement on Quick Scans for me.  Will see if my Full Scan goes as scheduled for me on Saturday. 

Kudos0

HI, floplot.  I'm not sure what happens with fixed day/time scheduling for Full System Scans but with fixed interval scheduling (every 7 days in my case) it is not unusual for a scan to run as soon as it can after a scheduled slot has been missed.   (However that does reset the schedule so the next scan will be 7 days after the actual run time, not the missed scheduled time.)  As you say, it will be interesting to what happens on your system at 3am on Monday.

Re the query from tibbies4life, I can confirm that Quick Scan ran 3 times yesterday on this PC after receiving the NGC Product Update and Live Updates are running every hour with an occasional 2-hour gap.  (Similar story on my wife's laptop.) 

I've noted that those two hour gaps coincided yesterday with similar pauses in the runs of Product Maintenance and with the run times of Norton Insight and the Full System Scan (and also with the residual occurrences of the growth of the diStRptr.dat file size) .   It kind of suggests that the Norton product is now suspending some background tasks when a task that needs extensive network or specific server access is due.   (Some of my observations of network activity with Resource Monitor also seem to fit with this idea.)   Maybe that was the problem - the suspension/unsuspension process had got fouled up.

Kudos1 Stats

Tibbies4Life:

Hello,, today 4/5 my automatic LU ran 3 times however Quick Scan only ran 1 time.  Others are reporting more Quick Scans....

Hi Tibbies4Life:

Quick Scans are only scheduled to run after a new SDS (virus) Definition set is delivered.  Did you check the details of each LiveUpdate in your security history and confirm that all three LiveUpdates successfully delivered a SDS Definition set?

The number of times a day your Quick Scans run will also depend on the length of time your system remains in idle before it goes to sleep (or before you use your touchpad / mouse / keyboard to take your system out of idle), and how many times a day you allow your system to go into idle mode.  Other users posting in this thread might have adjusted the settings in their computer's power plan (e.g., increased the Put the Computer to Sleep wait time from 20 min to 30 min) or decreased Norton's Idle Time Out settings at Settings | Administrative Setting (e.g., Automatic Resume Delay From Sleep or Hibernation = 2 Min; Automatic Tasks Delay = 4 min; Idle Time Out = 1 min) to increase the chances background Norton tasks like Quick Scans are able to run to completion during system idles.

The Norton Performance Graph at Performance | Graphs | Usage should show you how much time your system remains in idle throughout the day. Zoom out to 1D (one day) to see how much time your computer spent in idle mode (light grey bands) vs sleep / hibernation mode or shutdown (dark grey bands) in the past 24 hours.  Yellow peaks of activity in that graph are Norton processes; blue peaks are for all other non-Norton processes like Windows, web browsers, etc.
---------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

I have noticed in the past, I may be idle, the usage graph may show as being in idle but occasionally a Windows process may be running, this appears to take precedence over Norton. Being in UK, normal 1st boot 6-7 am for perhaps a 3 hour run before shutdown, afternoon perhaps 3-6 pm. Usually pick up SDS defs first thing, occasional 2nd set of SDS defs  in morning, afternoon will pick up that day's dated issue, may have another set perhaps 8-9 pm if on at that time - weekends normally just get one issue am. So could perhaps Norton issues 4 a day SDS so user picks up depending where based and computer time on. On my laptop, idle tasks only run when running on power. Tried Low Resource Level & Power Saving On/Off's but does not run idle tasks in battery only mode.

Kudos0

To reinforce imacri's first point, although most tasks appeared to be running OK on this PC today, there had been no Quick Scans throughout the day.  I checked the LIve Update history for today and there had been no new SDS Definitions. Not until 1843.  Quick Scan then ran at 1847.

To round off the story from one of my earlier posts, I've now finished trawling back through the Live Update history on the laptop.  Because that doesn't get used regularly, it didn't get the ENGINE,NGC, INSTALLDIR (134.74MB) update for 22.17 until 1203 on March 31.  The update was not fully implemented until the arrival of the two NGC Product Updates during the evening of April 4 - the 155.62KB update at 1935 and the 314.39KB update at 2133.   Given that (a) the background tasks have been running OK on that laptop since, (b) it has received no further NGC Product Updates and (c) the 314.39KB update did not arrive with the smaller one, I reckon that the version it received was the latest one that appears to have fixed the problem rather than the earlier suspect version, as received on this PC on March 18.

Kudos0

Hi Imacri thank you for this information!  So is it best to have the Automatic Resume Delay from Sleep; Automatic Task Delay; and Idle Time Out set to few minutes as you show above or leave set to Norton default minutes?  I currently have it set to default times.  Also my tasks all ran today after I rebooted my computer and time settings are default settings.   

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.