• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos3 Stats

Loading circle on cursor

Hello

Since Norton Internet Security updated to version 22.17.0.183 that I started noticing that the loading blue circle on the cursor was appearing at random intervals in a way that it did not before, like when I start using google chrome (also happens with firefox) and most especially if I start seeing a streaming video for example, as that way I see it popping for a fraction of a second pretty much every 6 seconds.

Rebooting the pc, reinstalling chrome, run malwarebytes, installing windows updates or changing the mouse to a different usb port and reinstalling it did nothing, the issue remained.

So I ended up using the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool, rebooted, went to chrome to stream a video and it stopped showing up. But as soon as I reinstalled Norton, the circle was back in action as before.

I would appreciate some assistance regarding this issue.

Thank you.

Labels: Performance

Replies

Kudos3 Stats

Re: Loading circle on cursor

I have the same problem, mouse blinking busy every 5-15 seconds when Norton services are enabled.

I've reinstalled everthing including Windows but the problem persist. I've found deinstalling chrome makes the blinking stop happening frequently but they are still there occasionally when something else loads. I also see a lot of blinking when restarting windows so it is clearly not just Chrome.

Please fix this fast, the blinking is infuriating and needing to deinstall a program i want to use is ridiculous!

Kudos2 Stats

While I did not go through everything the OP did. I thought I might have had a virus, or one of the bookmarked pages I had showing up in the book mark area was auto loading something. However after deleting all bookmarks the problem persisted. I even installed Firefox, which I never had on this computer before. Sadly, and to my disgust, the same problem persists.

I can not believe more people are not reporting this.

Kudos0

I forgot to mention that I'm on Windows 7 SP1.

For me at least, as far as I see, there seems to be no performance issue on my PC, just an annoying and distracting situation that really seem to originate on NIS.

So I just followed a simple way to get rid of that circle pop up. It's not a fix, but at least you stop seeing the circle.

Just go to control panel, hardware, mouse, pointers, select "working in background", click on "browse" and just select the first option, the regular mouse arrow, open and apply.

That's it, no more annoying pop up circle until there's a real fix in case this issue is indeed caused by NIS.

Kudos1 Stats

I have this issue too. Win10 x64, i5-Haswell, 16 Gb RAM.
Why support doesn't answer?

Kudos1 Stats

I guess not enough people are reporting this problem. They feel it is our problem not their software that is causing it.

Kudos0

Maybe eventually there's a NIS update that solves this issue and they just do not bother replying to it here.

If not it will be a shame and I will have to consider a possible security software change when my current subscription gets near the end.

As for being our problem and not their software, all I can say on my part is that I'm a person that does not like or need to install new software, I simply like what I have and that is it.

So when I started noticing this issue, it coincided with NIS having updated by itself automatically, because when it did, the NIS panel was open on my desktop and the icon had changed to black and there had been no other software update or installation done in those days as I checked that up on control panel / programs.

Kudos1 Stats

There's 100% NIS's issue. What I tried to do to solve the issue:

1. disable all startup programs;
2. stop all the services and kill all the processes, which possible to stop;
3. tried to install old version of the NVIDIA driver;
4. stop Logitech-software and use windows's mouse driver;
5. disable ethernet adapter in device manager;
6. even temporarry stop of NIS in it's UI doesn't help.

And nothing's solve the issue. It's solved just after I uninstalled NIS. Never seen loading circle in Chrome of Firefox for 2 weeks without NIS.
On my second PC (Win7, Xeon + 12Gb RAM, NIS) the problem does not appears like in this thread. But it appears SOMETIMES - at random intervals, not annoying 5-8 sec, but 60+ sec and people don't notice it. So, I think, the problem exists on all PCs with NIS :(

p.s. sorry for my english)

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. I have sent you a private message requesting logs and additional details for further investigation.

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I will do that as soon as I have some time, thank you.

Kudos0

- Norton Security installed version and language

Version Number: 22.17.0.183
Language: Dutch

- Operating System (32/64bit)
Windows 10    1809    64Bit

- Browsers versions and do you have the latest Norton extensions installed in browsers?
Firefox     66.0.3
Chrome      Newest

- Is all system drivers updated to latest? 
Yes

- Please provide details expedience/steps that leads to Loading circle on cursor 
There are no steps, it does it automatically, al lot if chrome is installed and a little otherwise. 

- Are you facing any system performance issue
I Haven't noticed any but i dont think i would notice from desktop work and browsing and i've had chrome uninstalled since the blinking is really annonying

- Do you have any other security software's installed along with Norton?
No.

Comments.
I noticed the symCheck scan section has a requires attention entry:
-Service ccSet_SCS is not configured and operation properly
    - The service is not installed

I don't know is that is normal so i'm mentioning it. The click here for solution button doesn't do anything.

Kudos0

Sunil_GA:...
I have sent you a private message requesting logs and additional details for further investigation.

Hi Sunil_GA:

I'm not sure, but I think I might have the same problem with NS v22.15.2.22 (rel. 29-Mar-2019, now in "maintenance mode" on my Vista SP2 machine), although it started well before the 11-Mar-2019 release date of v22.17.0.183 for Win 7 SP1 and higher users.

A few times a day (normally after a re-boot or when my system is taken out of sleep/idle mode) I see the indicator light for my hard drive flashing continuously for about a minute or so while nortonsecurity.exe thrashes my hard drive, and if I try to use programs like my Firefox ESR browser or Windows Mail I get the spinning cursor others are reporting in this thread. A clean re-install of Norton (including a thorough wipe using the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode) didn't help.  Full system scans with Norton and and Malwarebytes Free (which isn't loaded at boot-up) haven't found any threats. Adding my firefox.exe executable to my Norton scan exclusions had no effect.  I've been trying to escalate this problem for several weeks but the last time I posted about this I was told this disk thrashing by nortonsecurity.exe outside of system idles was probably caused by a failing hard drive because I have an old computer (not sure how they came to that conclusion).  None of the hardware diagnostics I've run show a problem with my hard drive.

If you'd' like to send instructions via PM I'd be happy to provide diagnostic logs.  Just an FYI that I've turned off Detailed Error Data Collection and Norton Community Watch and that seems to have decreased the frequency of my system freezes, so let me know if they must be turned back on before any logs are collected.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos1 Stats

I'm having this issue as well - the cursor constantly has the spinning circle... support had me uninstall and reinstall my product - as soon as I uninstalled, it stopped and stayed stopped. Until I reinstalled and set up! I am going to let them know it is not fixed and ask for ETA on a fix, although I'm not sure they believe it's their product causing it. :( Boooo

Kudos0

I have done what was requested by Sunil_GA, although I didn't feel comfortable seeing that tool collecting all that data from my PC, but I did it.

- Norton Security installed version and language 

Portuguese

- Operating System (32/64bit)

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bit)

- Browsers versions and do you have the latest Norton extensions installed in browsers?

Chrome 74.0.3729.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Firefox 66.0.3 (64-bit)

I do not install Norton extensions

No, but it has been like that for years and has never been an issue, it works very well

- Please provide details expedience/steps that leads to Loading circle on cursor 

When using both Chrome or Firefox, the loading circle appears at short random periods of around 10 seconds, but it shortens to 5 / 6 seconds if I stream a video for example on Youtube

None that I can see, the system works normally and I have my PC always on 24 / 7

- Do you have any other security software's installed along with Norton?

Malwarebytes free version, but it is always off, I only do a manual scan once per month

Just like Fiur25 mentioned on his post, I also got this:

-Service ccSet_SCS is not configured and operation properly
    - The service is not installed

Kudos0

No, but it has been like that for years and has never been an issue, it works very well

Any new updates to software on your computer, like Norton, assume you have the latest updates to your OS. Just because you have not had issues in the past, does not mean that an update to software like Norton will look for some new OS files/features.

None that I can see, the system works normally and I have my PC always on 24 / 7

And how often do you restart this PC? Windows needs a restart every once in a while to clear out junk that collects over time.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Any new updates to software on your computer, like Norton, assume you have the latest updates to your OS. Just because you have not had issues in the past, does not mean that an update to software like Norton will look for some new OS files/features.

So, if I understood correctly, despite almost 10 years that I have had NIS on my PC, that was already originally installed when I bought it and I never had absolutely any issue and now since this update that I get this loading circle the fault could be because some drivers are not up to date?

I'm already regretting having updated NIS some time ago last year or so. At least with the older versions that I had before I never had any issue and I would update it if and when I wanted and now that option was even removed from the options, so it updates as it wants.

And how often do you restart this PC? Windows needs a restart every once in a while to clear out junk that collects over time.

Yes, of course that I restart my PC once in a while, 3 or 4 times per month.

And what any of this loading circle issue has to do with old drivers or reboots? In almost 10 years I never had this, always with NIS installed and it only started since this recent NIS update. I already uninstalled NIS twice since that started to happen and when I did the loading circle issue stopped happening.

Kudos2 Stats

There just was an update when I went through the "Live Update" looks like some small updates, then a bigger software update. After running it, the loading circle no longer appears at regular intervals, it just pops up once when I open the browser. Looks like more than just the few people on this tread have reported the issue.

Kudos1 Stats

After the patch i'm not seeing the circle anymore either. Look like the finally fixed it.

Kudos0

So it seems, I can also confirm that.

Kudos1 Stats

@CWill, @Fiur25 & @Grey Wolf - Thanks for the update on issue fix status. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Sunil_GA:

@CWill, @Fiur25 & @Grey Wolf - Thanks for the update on issue fix status. 

Hi Sunil_GA:

Is this fix going to be pushed out to v22.15.2.22 products (the legacy version for Win XP and Vista)?
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

I have identical problem. My version check says I have the latest update. I think I have managed to pinpoint the problem.

The issue is caused by Norton Autoprotect if there is a browser open. If you close the browser OR disable autoprotect, the issue will disappear. It is possible that people would experience it even with closed browser, but that is because the browser still runs in the background. Right click the icon in the task bar and untick the option that lets it run in background and you will see that issue disappears.

On a regular interval, task manager will show increase in CPU % allocation for Norton and it's at that time when cursor will turn to "Working in background" pointer. It's very annoying and this has started only few weeks ago, just like the posters in this thread wrote. I have the same issue on two computers so it's not computer related.

Sometimes the issue is more than just annoying as the busy pointer will be frozen for few seconds.

Kudos0

Shortening comment so I don't waste your time - I thought updates fixed, but I was wrong. I've done two so far and it looked good for a few minutes and then came right back. Oh and turning off Auto-Protect isn't working for me, unfortunately. Grrrr.