• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Password manager - maximum annoyance

I really just need to vent!  I've used Norton Password manager for several years, probably double figures, and the past few years have really tested my patience, so much so I'm seriously planning of going elsewhere.

Why If I login to the Win10 desktop interface do I have to also login to Chrome every time I restart Chrome, or why do I have to login in to Chrome only to have to do so again if I close Chrome or open the desktop interface.  It really is tedious, I bet I log in at least 10 times a day.

This never used to be the case, simply had to login to the Windows interface and that was it until the machine was rebooted/awoken.

Come on Symantec, get this sorted.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Password manager - maximum annoyance

Chrome - Settings - Advanced - System - Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed ticked "on" 

Kudos0

Unfortunately that is by design and is unlikely to be sorted.  We have requested a way to keep the vault open for a Windows session but that fell on deaf ears.  Symantec considers it a security feature.

Edit:  Or you can do the above.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Cheers Kuster, hadn't realised that and it should partly solve the problem but still the sign in through Chrome (or other browser) is not recognised by the windows Norton interface and sometimes it is still necessary to use that instead.

Kudos0

Krusty13 that sounds about right, so maybe I will just have to redesign my usage and drop Norton for something else.  It's sad when something is "designed" to make life harder! 

Kudos0

but still the sign in through Chrome (or other browser) is not recognised by the windows Norton interface

This is a result of how the browser developers changed how they interact with extensions. The browser extensions and the Norton Security product's access to the vault are all independent of each other. Even opening vault in Chrome will not have the vault open in Firefox.

I will just have to redesign my usage and drop Norton for something else

There is nothing stopping you from using another password manager alongside the Norton Security product. Keep Norton for your security needs, and use a password manager you can live with. Although, as far as I know, using another password manager will still need to be signed into from each browser.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.