• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

How to update manually - NOT clicking Dead Update!

You can skip the preamble/info and go right to The Question (bottom)

DETAILS: (really - skip to "The Question" near bottom of post.)

The Community Start New Post, Thread, Chat (whatever the new buzz words are today) drop-down that demands a product be picked, should carry all products, but doesn't so I picked the closest. My "Product" is listed as Norton Security Premium as well as Norton Security With Backup" take your pick. THAT'S NOT the "issue"

The issue is, I was just told by phone support that I have to manually do so-called "Live" Update "every 2 to 3 days" on all my devices by clicking the "Update" in the Norton GUI. I have 3 devices, Norton account online says 5. what-ever!  I had no idea that "Live" meant the person that has to do it manually! When I do this... see Item 3 below - sigh!

Now the problem, When I do a manual update, I've let it run for 4 hours one day, another day 30 minutes, 10 minutes, another day for a hour, and every time, it ends with a error message that it was unable to update, to try again. More often than not, it just sits at "Checking for updates" and doesn't even get to download part. 

Phone support ALWAYS wants to "take remote control" and when I've allowed that, the first time, I was left with a re-boot that could not find the O/S and ended up losing everything. Second time, years after the last foobar, the girl downloaded Norton removal tool, ran it, downloaded Norton installer, ran it, and that failed so she repeated it SEVENTEEN times in 5.10 hours! Just how many times removing it and reinstalling it was supposed to work is anyone's guess. So - no one from Norton is permitted to take my computer away again.

After calling back a couple times today, I finally found a agent that was willing to part with the 64 bit and 32 bit that are supposed to be the UN-LIVE method/version of finding, downloading and wedging in the latest fingerprints by hand - side-stepping Dead Update. A task I am told I need to do 2 - 3 times a week on 3 devices! HOWEVER, I wasn't told what the file will do... just that I should dload it, and run it. 
The Question:
Does anyone have the link that explains how to use the the .exe files suggested by Norton that forces one to manually  download and install the fingerprints? Norton says I have to use the new method - "2 to 3 times a week" and that, is not mentioned anywhere in HELP (me buy more stuff) documents. 

The file I have is called "20190415-007-core3sdsg2v5i32.exe". It took a few calls to get a agent to send it, now what do I do with it? Is it just going to open Norton, and run Dead Live update? Is it going to reboot to "Operating System NotFound" again, or is it just going to download Norton Removal, reboot (hopefully to a OS), and then download and re-install the problem again?

I know someone will ask, so ... I'd call them back, but I hate explaining why they can't access my rig, why I need this (because Live is Dead), and I already spent 4.45 hours with them today. 

.O. 

I wasn't born a facetious cynic, I was trained by Norton, Dell, HP, Google and Microsoft!

p.s. Anyone want to help me set up a GoFundMe to buy some coloured fonts for Norton Community?

~~If it's OK for government and corporations to steal my privacy, why is it illegal for me to try to take it back?~~

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How to update manually - NOT clicking Dead Update!

No Norton security product requires manual updates.  Go into Norton Settings and enable automatic updates.  If you cannot do that, something is very wrong.

Kudos0

I'd suggest there is a problem with contacting the Live Update server/s.  Maybe an ISP, router, installed software or other block list issue.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Hello

Perhaps you might want to send that link to Virus Total to make sure it is clean.

https://www.virustotal.com/ 

In case you may want to contact the Official Norton Support, here is the link    www.norton.com/contactcs   This is for some time in the future if you desire to contact Customer Support again.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos2 Stats

iNiC:

The Question:
Does anyone have the link that explains how to use the the .exe files suggested by Norton that forces one to manually  download and install the fingerprints? Norton says I have to use the new method - "2 to 3 times a week" and that, is not mentioned anywhere in HELP (me buy more stuff) documents. 

The file I have is called "20190415-007-core3sdsg2v5i32.exe". It took a few calls to get a agent to send it, now what do I do with it? Is it just going to open Norton, and run Dead Live update? Is it going to reboot to "Operating System NotFound" again, or is it just going to download Norton Removal, reboot (hopefully to a OS), and then download and re-install the problem again?...

Hi iNiC:

When you double-click to run that .exe file all it should do is update the SDS (Virus) Definition database on your local computer (stored at C:\Program Files\Norton Security\NortonData\<22.x.x.x>\Definitions\SDSDefs or some similar location).  The file you have is the 32-bit version (see next paragraph) so if you have a 64-bit operating system or see an "Operating System Not Found" error post back and let us know your current operating system.

Please see the Norton support article Update Virus Definition Files Using Intelligent Updater for the download link (Step #1) and instructions for using the Intelligent Updater.  The file you have is the full (~ 63 MB) set of SDS (Virus) Definitions for Norton v22.9.x and higher products on computers with a 32-bit operating system.  The filename 20190415-007-core3sdsg2v5i32.exe means the definition set was released 15-Apr-2019 ("-007" means revision 7; the "v5i32" means for 32-bit OSs).  If you follow the link in Step # 1 of that support article you will be re-directed to the Intelligent Updater download page at https://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=n95.  If I click the 32-Bit Platforms tab on that page and scroll down to your product I can see that the latest definition set for 32-bit computers is currently 20190415-020-core3sdsg2v5i32.exe (i.e., revision 20).

Please note that the Intelligent Updater only updates the SDS (Virus) Definition set used for file-based scans (e.g., Quick Scans, Full System Scans, etc.).  It will not update other important definition sets like Intrusion Protection (IP) Definitions, Web Protection Definitions, etc. that are normally delivered via LiveUpdates.

I agree with SendOfJive that there is something very wrong with your Norton installation if your Automatic LiveUpdates aren't running automatically during system idles and manual LiveUpdates never run to completion, and a clean re-install might be required (post back if you need instructions).  When you reinstall Norton, you must always run consecutive manual LiveUpdates until no further updates are available, re-boot, and repeat that cycle until you are certain you are fully patched back to the current version (now v22.17.0.183 for Win 7 SP1 or higher;  v22.15.2.22 if you have a Win XP or Vista OS; check your version at Help | About).  There was a hotfix released a few days ago to fix a problem with background Norton tasks like Automatic LiveUpdates (see Norton employee Sunil_GA's 08-Apr-2019 post in the thread Automatic Background Tasks Not Working) that you might not have received yet.

If you have a Win 8.x or Win 10 OS, please disable the Windows Fast Startup power option described in peterweb's thread Windows 8/8.1 or 10 and Fast Start Feature and then re-boot your system after this power option is disabled.  This Fast Startup feature (also called hybrid boot-up / hybrid shutdown) can interfere with product updates and loading of Norton services and drivers at boot-up and result in all sorts of odd glitches and unexpected behaviour on Win 8.x and Win 10 computers.  If you previously disabled this power option just confirm that it's still turned off, since Fast Startup can sometimes re-enable itself after a major Win 10 update like a version change.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

iNiC:

Phone support ALWAYS wants to "take remote control" and when I've allowed that, the first time, I was left with a re-boot that could not find the O/S and ended up losing everything. Second time, years after the last foobar, the girl downloaded Norton removal tool, ran it, downloaded Norton installer, ran it, and that failed so she repeated it SEVENTEEN times in 5.10 hours! Just how many times removing it and reinstalling it was supposed to work is anyone's guess. So - no one from Norton is permitted to take my computer away again...

Hi iNiC:

..and just an aside, but the last time I used the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool in "normal" (Remove and Reinstall) mode on my Vista SP2 machine, I had a black screen for about 20 or 30 minutes after the tool re-booted my computer and I was sure I'd corrupted my OS.  I left my computer alone for about an hour and my system eventually re-booted, but if something similar happened to you during a re-install with the NRnR tool and you forced your computer to re-boot by pressing the power button you might have corrupted Norton during the re-installation.  As noted in my previous post, we can provide instructions for a clean re-install that includes a thorough wipe of Norton off your system and this might fix the problem with your manual LiveUpdates.  If you want to try a clean re-install of your Norton Security Premium (a.k.a Norton Security with Backup) just let us know if you have any other Norton products installed like Norton Utilities, Norton Family, Norton Ghost, etc. (which can be damaged by a clean re-install) and your operating system.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.