• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Is Credit Card number Required to Install Norton Security?

Has Norton now gone to Auto renewal on all products?  It does appear that way.  If so is it required that your give them a credit card number before you can activate the product. 

Have been using Norton for years but this maybe to much, I hate auto renewal especially at an inflated price.  Reminds me of Sirius.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Is Credit Card number Required to Install Norton Security?

Please review: Turn off Norton Automatic Renewal service | Last modified: 04/16/2019
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20090818144126

Kudos0

That will help but is a credit card required to activate the product?

This quote is what has me confused from the Amazon site for Norton Security Premium:

• ONGOING PROTECTION After purchase, auto-renewal (AR) enrollment with payment method is required for activation and use. You won’t be charged until your next renewal period & can cancel AR at any time*

This to me implies that you have to enter a credit card number before you can activate and use the product.

Kudos0

After your Norton product is installed and activated and you're satisfied.  Go to your Norton account and turn off Auto Renewal and remove your Payment Information.  

Norton products (including subscriptions and Automatic Renewals) may be refunded within 60 days of the purchase date. Shipping, handling, and any applicable tax are not refundable except in certain states and countries where these items are refundable. For exceptions, read the full Return Policy.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100512172507

...and if you're not satisfied.  Go to your Norton account and turn off Auto Renewal and remove your Payment Information. 

This quote is what has me confused from the Amazon site for Norton Security Premium:  [..]  & can cancel AR at any time*

After your Norton product is installed and activated and you're satisfied.  Go to your Norton account and turn off Auto Renewal and remove your Payment Information.  

FWIW ~ maybe try using a virtual credit card number....for example:

Virtual account numbers also can be helpful for long-term subscription purchases. Using a virtual account number that expires quickly (or that you can turn off at will) can help prevent automatic renewals.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-virtual-account-numbers.php 

and for example: 

Take control of your subscriptions and other recurring payments. Pause and close Privacy cards any time.

https://privacy.com/

FWIW ~  I've not tried virtual card number with "Amazon site for Norton Security Premium". 

Kudos0

To sum what I think I have read is that YES a credit card is required for installation and activation of the new versions of Norton with auto renewal feature.  BUT you can turn off the Auto renewal and remove your Credit Card information after installation and activation. 

Sure looks like a lot of you know what to me.  If Norton had a reasonable renewal price it would not be so bad but when you can purchase a new license for half of the renewal cost it is not reasonable.

There are still a few of the older non renewing versions floating around at a reasonable price - guess I will go buy one or two.

Kudos0

6. Norton Automatic Renewal Service: Your Norton subscription purchase includes Automatic Renewal Service. At the end of Your Service Period, the Service will be renewed and Your payment method will be charged the then-current renewal price (plus applicable taxes) automatically, without any additional action by You. At any time after Your purchase, You may change Your subscription settings, including cancelling Your automatic renewal, at manage.norton.com. Annual Automatic Renewal Service charges are eligible for a refund within sixty (60) days of the renewal purchase date. Please see the Norton Return Policy for more information on obtaining refunds for Norton products.

https://www.symantec.com/content/dam/symantec/docs/eulas/licensing-agreement/norton-security-and-norton-security-with-backup-22.8-eula-en.pdf 

Virus Protection Promise includes a virus removal service provided by a Norton expert and may come with the following qualifying Norton subscriptions: Norton Security (Standard, Deluxe, Premium), Norton Core Security Plus, Norton Small Business, Norton Internet Security, Norton AntiVirus, Norton 360 and Norton 360 Multi-Device. In the unlikely event that we are unable to remove the virus from Your PC, Mac, Android and/or iOS device, You may be entitled to a refund of the Norton subscription. In order to be entitled for a refund, the following terms and conditions apply:

a. Except if You are a Norton Small Business subscriber, You must purchase, renew, or upgrade Your qualifying Norton subscription directly from Norton.com, or subscribe to the Norton Automatic Renewal Service with Your qualifying Norton subscription;  [...]

https://us.norton.com/nortonservices/guarantee/protection-promise 

Kudos1 Stats

Hi curlysir65:

As far as I know there's no requirement to give Norton your credit card number (unless you're buying your product from the Norton online store) or activate auto-renewal unless you prefer to have Norton automatically debit your credit card and renew your subscription each year.  That's the expensive option but some people do this for convenience.

All you need to activate your Norton subscription is a valid 25-digit product key, and you can turn off auto-renewal as bjm_ described and purchase your product key wherever you wish.  If you purchase the product key as a boxed product in a retail store like Best Buy or Staples (or from a reputable online dealer like Amazon or newegg) just wait until the day before your current Norton Security subscription expires and then enter the new key in your Norton interface at Help | Account Information | Enter Product Key. This should automatically start a new 1-Year (365 day) Norton Security subscription.  If you have days remaining on your current Norton Security subscription they will be lost when you enter the key manually this way and you will have to contact Norton Customer Support via Live Chat at https://www.norton.com/chat and ask them to transfer the days remaining on your "old" subscription and add them to your new Norton Security subscription.

You don't even have to purchase a product key that matches the identical product you now own.  For example, If you currently have Norton Security Premium (with Norton Backup) and decide you don't need the backup feature then purchase a product key for Norton Security Deluxe (no Norton Backup) when it's on sale.  Hold on to the product key until just before your subscription expires and enter the product key at Help | Account Information | Enter Product Key, and you will be automatically downgraded to Norton Security Deluxe and start a new 365 days subscription.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

curlysir65:
This quote is what has me confused from the Amazon site for Norton Security Premium

• ONGOING PROTECTION After purchase, auto-renewal (AR) enrollment with payment method is required for activation and use. You won’t be charged until your next renewal period & can cancel AR at any time*

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8124361#comment-8124361 

• PRE-PAID SUBSCRIPTION This product is for new Norton subscriptions only, at an introductory price.* Instantly download & install to protect up to 10 PCs, Macs, iOS or Android devices in minutes!

+

Legal Disclaimer

*PAYMENT METHOD REQUIRED FOR 1 YEAR PRE-PAID SUBSCRIPTION: You are purchasing a recurring subscription which will automatically renew after the first year. To activate, you must enroll online and provide your billing information. The price paid today is valid for the first year of your subscription, and will automatically renew and charge your stored payment method the applicable renewal price. The price is subject to change, but we will always send you a notification email in advance. You may cancel the automatic renewal by logging into your Norton account. Your coverage may include product, service and/or protection updates and features that may be added, modified or removed, subject to the applicable Terms & Conditions. Data collection, storage and use for subscription management and renewal purposes subject to Symantec Privacy Policy.

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Security-Premium-Devices-Download/dp/B015724RQI 

Kudos0

lmacri:

Hi curlysir65:

As far as I know there's no requirement to give Norton your credit card number (unless you're buying your product from the Norton online store) or activate auto-renewal unless you prefer to have Norton automatically debit your credit card and renew your subscription each year.  That's the expensive option but some people do this for convenience.

All you need to activate your Norton subscription is a valid 25-digit product key, and you can turn off auto-renewal as bjm_ described and purchase your product key wherever you wish.  If you purchase the product key as a boxed product in a retail store like Best Buy or Staples (or from a reputable online dealer like Amazon or newegg) just wait until the day before your current Norton Security subscription expires and then enter the new key in your Norton interface at Help | Account Information | Enter Product Key. This should automatically start a new 1-Year (365 day) Norton Security subscription.  If you have days remaining on your current Norton Security subscription they will be lost when you enter the key manually this way and you will have to contact Norton Customer Support via Live Chat at https://www.norton.com/chat and ask them to transfer the days remaining on your "old" subscription and add them to your new Norton Security subscription.

You don't even have to purchase a product key that matches the identical product you now own.  For example, If you currently have Norton Security Premium (with Norton Backup) and decide you don't need the backup feature then purchase a product key for Norton Security Deluxe (no Norton Backup) when it's on sale.  Hold on to the product key until just before your subscription expires and enter the product key at Help | Account Information | Enter Product Key, and you will be automatically downgraded to Norton Security Deluxe and start a new 365 days subscription.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

The method you describe is how I have been renewing for several years.  What got me to ask the question is that if you go to purchase a new Norton Security from Amazon you will see that there are 2 different versions - one that states it is auto renewal and it states on the picture of the box that "Credit card or PayPal required for activation and use" and the other version like I have always purchased that does not state that, this version seems to being phased out.  The one without the auto renewal is not even on the Symantec site as far as I can tell.  I have a previously purchased copy that I will be using in 15 days to renew so I have a year to figure out what is going on.

I just don't like having my Credit Card out there even for a short while.

Kudos0

I have tried various security products over the years and can say without reservation that Norton is the only one I haven't had any issues with as far as subscriptions are concerned. They are as honest and straightforward as you will find. That includes people here in the forum that help almost daily to assist others in whatever problems or concerns they may have. If you buy an outdated product to feel better, just be aware that there are no product updates to keep you better protected. I currently have a yearly subscription through Norton and will weigh my choices when renewal comes up in December. I have no auto-renewal selected. There are so many crooked companies out there along with horror stories that I understand completely your or anyone else's concerns. Personally I would stick with current products and look for the best deal from a reputable vendor as mentioned previously. Good luck !!

Kudos0

curlysir65:

To sum what I think I have read is that YES a credit card is required for installation and activation of the new versions of Norton with auto renewal feature.  BUT you can turn off the Auto renewal and remove your Credit Card information after installation and activation....

Hi curlysir65:

That would be my conclusion as well.  I live in Canada and couldn't find what you were describing on amazon.ca, but I searched for Norton Security on amazon.com and saw images for some of the products sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC (like the NS Deluxe box <here>) that have that "1 YEAR PRE-PAID SUBSCRIPTION. Credit card or PayPal required for activation and use" banner.

As bjm_ noted, the product description states "PRE-PAID SUBSCRIPTION This product is for new Norton subscriptions only, at an introductory price.*".  I think it's just a marketing ploy to convince first-time Norton customers that auto-renewal is a wonderful idea, since the description also says "ONGOING PROTECTION After purchase, auto-renewal (AR) enrollment with payment method is required for activation and use. You won’t be charged until your next renewal period & can cancel AR at any time*". There's nothing in the customer comments in the review section (or anything in the Legal Disclaimers on that page that explain the "*" asterisks) to make me think that the terms of use are any different than if you purchased directly from the Norton online store.  In a worst case scenario, you might be asked to create a new Norton Account and immediately start your 365-day subscription at the time of payment (i.e., as if you were a new customer without an existing Norton Account).  I'm not a Norton employee and don't know what their official policy is regarding these "introductory price" offers, but if that happened I assume you would be able to contact Norton Customer Support via Live Chat at https://www.norton.com/chat and ask them to delete the new account and add the 365 days to your current subscription.

I don't think it should be difficult to delete your credit card information from your Norton Account as long as auto-renewal has been disabled.  The Norton support article <here> notes that "When your billing information is deleted, a notification will be sent to your registered email address. Billing information can be deleted at the request of the account owner, or the owner of the credit card associated with the account." I logged into my Norton Account and deleted all my billing information a few years ago, but these days you might have to contact Norton Customer Support via Live Chat at https://www.norton.com/chat and ask them to delete it for you.

-----------

Kudos0

Just my $.02.  For US.  I think all Norton is under EULA and VPP. 

6. Norton Automatic Renewal Service: Your Norton subscription purchase includes Automatic Renewal Service. At the end of Your Service Period, the Service will be renewed and Your payment method will be charged the then-current renewal price (plus applicable taxes) automatically, without any additional action by You. At any time after Your purchase, You may change Your subscription settings, including cancelling Your automatic renewal, at manage.norton.com. Annual Automatic Renewal Service charges are eligible for a refund within sixty (60) days of the renewal purchase date. Please see the Norton Return Policy for more information on obtaining refunds for Norton products.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8124401#comment-8124401

FWIW ~ Norton Support told me a few years back that if I want to take advantage of VPP.  I should temporarily add back billing information to my Norton account (billing information removed) before contacting Support.    

On Amazon page I find from US.  Posted terms IMO agree with Norton terms.
https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8124461#comment-8124461

By my read Amazon terms and Norton terms are clearly stated. 

Sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC.|
Note: You can access this item in Your Software Library. The number of computers eligible for installation may vary.
By placing your order, you agree to our Terms of Use.
This product is non-returnable and non-refundable.
Note:
 Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States.

• PRE-PAID SUBSCRIPTION This product is for new Norton subscriptions only, at an introductory price.* Instantly download & install to protect up to 10 PCs, Macs, iOS or Android devices in minutes!

Legal Disclaimers

*PAYMENT METHOD REQUIRED FOR 1 YEAR PRE-PAID SUBSCRIPTION: You are purchasing a recurring subscription which will automatically renew after the first year. To activate, you must enroll online and provide your billing information. The price paid today is valid for the first year of your subscription, and will automatically renew and charge your stored payment method the applicable renewal price. The price is subject to change, but we will always send you a notification email in advance. You may cancel the automatic renewal by logging into your Norton account. Your coverage may include product, service and/or protection updates and features that may be added, modified or removed, subject to the applicable Terms & Conditions. Data collection, storage and use for subscription management and renewal purposes subject to Symantec Privacy Policy.

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Security-Premium-Devices-Download/dp/B015724RQI

FWIW ~ After your Norton product is installed and activated and you're satisfied.  Go to your Norton account and turn off Auto Renewal and remove your billing information.   

My Norton account has Auto Renewal off and billing information removed.   

$.02 

Kudos0

ONGOING PROTECTION After purchase, auto-renewal (AR) enrollment with payment method is required for activation and use. 

What does that "and use" mean. If you cancel auto-renewal and your payment method will it stop you from using it?

Jim 

Kudos0

PhoneMan:

ONGOING PROTECTION After purchase, auto-renewal (AR) enrollment with payment method is required for activation and use. 

What does that "and use" mean. If you cancel auto-renewal and your payment method will it stop you from using it?

did not stop me from using  

FWIW ~ my understanding for Norton users in the US is EULA and VPP.  

https://www.symantec.com/content/dam/symantec/docs/eulas/licensing-agreement/norton-security-and-norton-security-with-backup-22.8-eula-en.pdf 

Virus Protection Promise includes a virus removal service provided by a Norton expert and may come with the following qualifying Norton subscriptions: Norton Security (Standard, Deluxe, Premium), Norton Core Security Plus, Norton Small Business, Norton Internet Security, Norton AntiVirus, Norton 360 and Norton 360 Multi-Device. In the unlikely event that we are unable to remove the virus from Your PC, Mac, Android and/or iOS device, You may be entitled to a refund of the Norton subscription. In order to be entitled for a refund, the following terms and conditions apply:

a. Except if You are a Norton Small Business subscriber, You must purchase, renew, or upgrade Your qualifying Norton subscription directly from Norton.com, or subscribe to the Norton Automatic Renewal Service with Your qualifying Norton subscription;  [...]

https://us.norton.com/nortonservices/guarantee/protection-promise 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.