• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

AntiSpam OE Hook Launcher

I have started to receive recently a pop-up window entitled "AntiSpam OE Hook Launcher".  I have searched the web and this community and I do see posts about this pop-up but no real solutions.  Is it a Norton issue or a Microsoft issue?

Does the "OE" mean Outlook Express?  I am not (to my knowledge) using Outlook Express.

One of the "solutions" says to turn off anti-spam in the Norton application.  But then the anti-spam feature doesn't work?

Does anyone have a "real" solution?  Why does the window appear?  What application is generating it?

The pop-up window requests my email address and password.  I have two different email addresses that I use frequently but the pop-up window only prompts for one of them and it is the same one all the time.  So it appears to be related to only one email address.  I am using Microsoft Outlook as part of Office Professional 2013.

I never enter anything into the box--I simply close the window.  My email accounts both work fine.  Just a nuisance window that pops up occasionally.  I have never seen it pop up when I am using my computer--instead it is just there on the screen when I log in after having been away from my computer long enough for Windows to automatically log me out.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Mike

Replies

Kudos0

Re: AntiSpam OE Hook Launcher

Hello Mike.  OE does indeed suggest Outlook Express as the culprit file would be "asoehook.dll" throwing the error. Could you tell us what OS you are running on this machine AND your Norton product name with its version? Also please verify whether you may still have Outlook Express installed or remnants of it. Please post a screenshot of the pop-up here for review if you'd be so kind. Here is how to post a screenshot.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.529 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.1.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 1.98
Kudos0

Hi SoulAsylum,

Thanks for your reply.  I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803, Build 17134.706 installed on 7/14/2018.

Screenshot is attached.

I am running on a Lenova Yoga 2 Pro.

Running Norton Internet Security version 22.17.0.183.  When I check the version, Norton tells me that my version is up to date.

I have never used Outlook Express on this machine.  I do not see any reference to Outlook Express in my list of installed applications.

Thanks,

Mike

Kudos0

Kudos0

Hi @mwtucker,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. I have sent you a private message requesting logs and additional details for further investigation. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

From your screenshot pop-up the alert comes from Windows vice from Norton. Have you "signed into your Norton account" using the Norton UI (user interface) and remaining signed in? (just close your browser). Reboot to see if your settings and account information synch completely. There really isn't a solution for the popup other than to disable the Norton anti-spam setting in your product.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.529 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.1.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 1.98
Kudos0

It shows your outlook account email and then asks for the name and password to gain access to that email account in order to check for spam. You can choose to remember it if you do not want to reenter it randomly. Hope that helps.

Kudos1 Stats

Thanks gentlemen.  I've turned off the Anti-Spam function in Norton Internet Security.  I'll see if that works.

Kudos0

As always you are most welcome. Have an awesome holiday weekend.

Cheers

Kudos0

I get the same pop up.  I check the 'box' to save my info, but the pop up reappears after restarting the machine.  I just did a 'live update' lets see if that helps... BTW this started just after a previous 'live update'.

Kudos0

GHardin. The only realistic solution is the one given above.

Cheers

Kudos0

I have the same problem, but unfortunately, I don't consider the issue "resolved" just by disabling the antispam protection, any more than I would accept disabling anti-virus protection.   Would Norton consider the issue resolved if my credit card was declined upon my next renewal?

There should be a way to make this function as intended, and provide AntiSpam protection for Windows 10, MS Outlook users.  Disabling client protection, rebooting, and re-enabling protection did nothing.

Entering my Outlook email password each time the pop-up occurs, and clicking "remember", also does not stop the pop-up from re-occurring almost randomly.

So the only work-around is to disable AntiSpam protection. Is there any support from Norton, or do users have to figure this out for themselves?

Kudos0

I seem to have found my problem.  Maybe this simple fix will help others.

Rather than following "Norton Security / Settings / AntiSpam", I went though "Norton Security / Help / Get Support".  This runs a Norton AutoFix script, and this time it identified an issue in the installation.  The script corrected the issue, and my AntiSpam software now works correctly without the AntiSpam OE Hook Launcher log-in dialog appearing.  (Just FYI - I'm running Windows 10, 64bit, with MS Office 2019 and MS Outlook as my mail program.)