• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Mobile Security 4.5

Hi,

I have NMS on my Android phone.

Since a recent update to NMS 4.5.... when I open the app I now keep getting a screen to login and sync devices (I AM logged in, I'm never not logged in on the phone, it even tells me its logged in...) and when you get that out the way it used to tell you Last Scan and Last Live Update and it no longer seems to do the latter.

Is there something broken in the latest update?

Thanks,

David

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Mobile Security 4.5

Hello. I also have this problem. Most of the time, it shows the message for synchronizing my account.

Kudos0

I too see this behaviour. I'll report this to my Norton contacts.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Just heard from my contacts. Norton is aware of, and working on this issue.

Kudos0

I have a variation of this problem.  I also am getting the "Sign in now" message since installation of NMS 4.5 but, unlike David, I am not signed in, and have not been signed in for a long time.  I do not use the contact syncing capability, which as far as I know, is the only capability of NMS that has required a sign-in in the past (maybe call-blocking also needs it).  The anti-theft capabilities have worked, and continue to work, despite the lack of a sign-in on my phone.  I just successfully locked my phone from my computer, without being signed in on my phone.

This seems to contradict the rather alarming message that "Sign in now" window gives me under "Learn More":

"Sync your device by signing in to your Norton account.

If you don't sync your device, Norton features such as Contact Backup, Call Blocking and Anti-Theft will not be enabled and your device won't be protected.  Also you will not be able to redeem existing subscriptions and add devices.

If you are signed in, your device will be automatically sync'd to these features."

(italics are mine)

Kudos0

Marley21

unlike David, I am not signed in, and have not been signed in for a long time.

If this is so, you are not taking advantage of the full capabilities of Norton Mobile Security. From the description at the Google Play Store...The Premium features require that you are signed into your Norton Account.

PREMIUM FEATURES (Free 30-Day Trial1) 

★ WiFi Security helps your device stay safe when connecting to public Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi Security alerts if an unknown party on the same Wi-Fi network is spying on your online activity, known as a man-in-the-middle (MITM) attack

★ Get real-time alerts when an incoming call is from a known Spam or Fraud number and automatically block the call (US and India only)

★ Web Protection offers comprehensive security while surfing online to help protect you against visiting malicious and phishing sites

★ Ransomware protection helps detect and helps stop active ransomware attacks on your Android device 
¬¬
★ Android System Advisor: Helps scan your device and Android OS to identify points of attack that can leave you exposed to cyber threats

Kudos0

Another thing I've noticed is normally I connect my phone to wifi each evening at home and then Norton will Live Update itself. Now it isn't doing that. I have to kick off the Live Update manually.

That's three basic things broken, two on the front "screen" and one behind the scenes... 

Thanks,

David

Kudos0

Are you going by the main NMS screen not listing a LiveUpdate, or are you looking at the Activity Log? I just checked and a LiveUpdate was run when I opened NMS as noted in the Activity Log. 

As for the LiveUpdate not showing on the main screen... I am going to wait until they sort out the 'sign in' message. What I note when I manually scan the device is the screen shows the last scan, then it seems to try to update the screen, as if it is about to show the LiveUpdate information, but the sign in message takes it's place.

Kudos0

Peterweb, the things that you've listed require a subscription, but nowhere does it state that you have to be signed in to use all of them.

I have Wi-Fi Security, Web Protection, and Android System Advisor all showing 100% and appearing to be to do what they're supposed to do.  I have an active subscription.  I'm not signed in to the best of my knowledge.

If I click on the phone icon I get:

Anti-Theft   Active

Call Blocking  Requires permissions

Contact Backup   Sign-in required

System Advisor  No risks found

There is also a "Sign in" option on the "My Norton" page.

Before posting this I went ahead and signed in.  The "Sign-in required" beside "Contact Backup" is gone, and the "Sign in" on the "My Norton" page has been replaced by by name.  So it's now confirmed that I really wasn't signed in.

It's a bit of a trap, however.  Once signed in, you can't sign out.  Welcome to the Hotel California!

Of course, the new sign-in thingy that started this whole thing is still there.

Kudos0

How would the app know if you had a paid subscription after the 30 day trial if you were not signed in? If you now have the full version active, why would you want to sign out and be moved back to a trial version?

If you do feel need to get signed out, you can do it by clearing the app data for NMS. 

Kudos0

Peterweb, I have a 10 license NS subscription and use some of the licenses for NS on Windows and some of the licenses on NMS on Android.  I use the Norton Manage Web site to send an email link to each Android device, which connects the app with my product code.  In no part of this process is it necessary to sign into my Norton account from NMS.  I have been running without signing in for a couple of years.  NMS always shows my subscription as 'active' and operates like it's active.

I operate similarly using NS on Windows.  There, I do sign in from NS to get started, but then I sign out and never  sign back in.  The security capabilities continue to work just fine.

Think back to the old days, when we all bought Norton in a box and entered the product code.  We didn't have a Norton account, but Symantec still knew whether we had a subscription or not.  It still works that way.  Signing in for for syncing stuff.  It isn't needed in order for the application to know it's authorized for subscription services.

It's the same way with Microsoft.  Microsoft wants me to think I need to sign into my Microsoft account to use Windows, but I don't.  The also want me to think I need to sign in to my Microsoft account to use Office 365, and I do now and then, but I don't need to stay signed in if I don't want to use their cloud storage services.

I will admit that I do sign into Google from Android.  Pretty hard not to.  But I like to avoid signing in whenever I can.  Signing in means sharing stuff.  And what gets shared usually gets shared, intentionally or unintentionally, again.  Symantec is probably safer than most.  But still...

Our side discussion is getting further and further off the original thread.  If you have anything more to say I'll read it, but I don't have anything more to add.  Thanks for the discussion.

Kudos0

Hi,

@peterweb - when I see on the main screen something like last updated 1 day ago I normally plonk it on wifi and it automatically updates. Now it doesn't and I have to go and kick off the update manually.

Any ETA when these things will be fixed (and why don't such obvious things show up in their testing before they make a release...)? 

Thanks,

David

Kudos0

I just checked on the Google Play Store and there was a new version released on March 26. ver 4.5.0.4348. It did not seem to address the issues you have noted.

Norton will never give ETA's on specific fixes. That way, no one is disappointed if a deadline is not met. 

And a little FYI. If you look back on your NMS Activity Log, you may see LiveUpdate having run, but there are rarely any actual new definitions files added. This is partially due to the fact that NMS now relies more on real time online definitions that are absolutely up to date. Similar to how the Norton Security products for PCs now work. The definitions that do eventually get downloaded are often done more that 2 weeks apart.  

Kudos0

There is a new version that addresses the Sync message issue. I have installed it on my tablet and I see no sync message any more.

Look in Google Play Store for version   4.5.0.4353

I am asking about the last update information. I'll let you know if I hear anything on this. 

Kudos0

DavidCoffield

I heard back from my contacts. The 'last update' message was removed as a conscious decision. No explanation as to why.

Kudos0

Madness. Tell them LiveUpdate now reports it hasn't run for 3 days (say) when in actuality it ran last night. They've muffed this up.

Kudos0

Where did you see that it had not run for 3 days? Activity Log? 

Kudos0

Wee icon popped up top left of phone telling me this, but it's nonsense I LU the phone every night when updating any Google stuff or apps....

Kudos0

I LU the phone every night when updating any Google stuff or apps....

Are you referring to updating apps in the Google Play Store App, or are you actually going into NMS settings and scrolling down and manually running LiveUpdate?  The Play Store updates to not count towards NMS LiveUpdate.

Kudos0

DavidCoffield, I am assuming you are referring to a notification from NMS.  Does the notification refer to scan time or live update time?  I don't recall ever getting a notification from NMS when a live update is done, but I do get one when a scan is done.

Kudos0

LU in NMS as I said.

Kudos0

Wee icon popped up top left of phone telling me this

Do you still have this?  If so, could you post the exact text?

Kudos0

No... but something akin to Live Update has not run for 3 days, tap to Live Update.

Even though it had run the night before. Def-in-et-ly, before anyone questions...

Kudos0

OK thanks, I believe you.  I'll keep an eye out for similar behavior.

Kudos0

DavidCoffield, I am reporting back – I have not been able to duplicate your “Live Update” problem.  Automated Live Updates and Manual Live Updates are both working for me.

I do see occasional LU failures in the Activity Log, but I don’t think they directly relate to the problem you are having.  Many of the failures predate the release of NMS 4.5.   I have done some experiments that indicate that these apparent failures are not really problems, but just something that happens when the option to do Live Updates on WiFi only is turned on.  If this option is turned on, automated LUs still initiate, but fail when you are not connected to WiFi.  The WiFi only option apparently does not apply to manual LUs, which will use LTE if you don’t have a WiFi connection.  I came to these conclusions by disconnecting from WiFi and observing the “Activity Log” for both automated and manual LUs.

Now back to your problem, which is, I believe:

1. Automated LUs apparently not running
  2. Manual LUs apparently running
  3. Notifications stating that LU has not run for a period of time even though you know you have kicked off a manual LU within that time period.

I can’t help but wonder of the manual LUs you are kicking off appear to run, but are failing for some reason.  The Activity Log should shed some light on this.  I don’t know whether you have studied the Activity Log, but I don’t see any direct mentions of it in your posts.

Successful LUs should generate three entries:

1. Live Update Finished
  2. MSE Config update status
  3. NMS Virus definitions update status.

Unsuccessful LUs should have an error entry of some kind.

If my hunch is correct, you should see that all LUs have failed during the time period covered by the notification.  I’m not confident about my hunch; it’s just something to look at.

Kudos0

I just heard a piece of information that may be at play here.

Apparently with the update to Android OS to v 9, Norton is more verbose about background tasks being displayed in the notification area. I do not have any devices on Android 9 yet, so I'm waiting for more information from my contacts on this.

DavidCoffield

What Android version is on your device?

Kudos0

It's 6 I'm afraid as Motorola are dire at updates after a while. So it isn't that. Or it might be that but perhaps it isn't confined to 9. The only bad thing I've heard about 9 (which is nothing to do with Norton etc) is it's a terrible drain on phone batteries but whether that's true or an urban myth I do not know.

NMS has been OK over the last week or so now but the symptoms were it was being updated (by me), the logs said it was updated, yet every other day a pop up popped up telling me it hadn't been updated for 3 days etc (when it had).

(Removing the Last Updated bit from the front screen of it remains a mental decision; conscious or not.)

Thanks,

David

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.