• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Newest update messed up IPv6?

I hope people will understand what I’m talking about and maybe help fix it. On my Windows 7 desktop connected by Ethernet I noticed that under connections it says “IPv6 connectivity: No internet access”, and under details IPv6 DNS Server is blank. I have connectivity to IPv4 though. In case anyone is wondering what I’m talking about,you right click the Ethernet symbol in taskbar and click open network and sharing center, and then near connections you click on Local Area Connection (or Wireless Network connection if using WiFi) and under IPv6 it says No internet connectivity. I have come to conclude it’s due to the latest NIS update, which is 22.17.0.183, I believe. I checked another desktop connected by WiFi running Windows 8.1 that uses this NIS license and before I updated it IPv6 said Internet, and then when I updated it and had to restart to apply the patch, IPv6 also said “No internet access” after updating NIS and restarting. I also have a Windows 10 desktop connected to WiFi that doesn’t have NIS and just uses Microsoft’s security, and IPv6 says it has Internet on there under Network and Sharing Center, and the IPv6 DNS server isn’t blank. I even restarted it and IPv6 still says internet. Also have a Windows 8.1 laptop I don’t really use that has the third license for this NIS account, although I haven’t updated NIS on it in a year or two, and IPv6 said connected on there. I might try updating it to the latest version later just to confirm on that too, but after checking it just seems too convenient this NIS did something to IPv6 on the two desktops I updated to the latest version of. Is there a way to go back to the last version of NIS to see if it fixes it? Does IPv6 saying “no internet access” mess up anything on my computer, like the security or anything? Is it going to mess up the internet? This has been bugging me the last few days... And yes, under adapter settings IPv6 is checked. Can anyone else confirm this happened to them, too? Or is there a way to fix it or revert NIS back to an earlier version to see if it fixes it?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Newest update messed up IPv6?

Can anyone else confirm this happened to them, too?

Sorry, I'm running the latest version of Norton on my Win10 x64 1809 machines and have no trouble with IPv6.  Occasionally I do see the same thing but no very often.  A system restart usually fixes it for me.

It shouldn't be a problem in any case.  Some people actively disable IPv6 as a privacy measure.  When I connect to my VPN only IPv4 is supported.

Edit:  When I use my Netgear router IPv6 is disabled anyway.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Is there a way to revert to the last version of NIS to see if that fixes it? Again, I find this odd why it’s happening on the two machines with latest Norton installed, but not the other two. Late Saturday I think there was some sort of issue with Spectrum since I couldn’t connect to some games like the PlayStation network and it couldn’t read my NAT type. It was fixed by morning, and paranoid me thinks there’s something involving that and the IPv6 problem? But regardless how many times I restart, it still says no internet access. But again, the laptop and Windows 10 desktop have it. Maybe it’s a firewall setting or something?
Kudos0

I was going to give you a direct link to 22.16 but it downloads 22.17 now.  Unless you have an older installer laying around I don't know how you can revert to the previous version.

Kudos0

All. Running Windows 10 Pro x 64 on my machines I see what the original poster is concerned with. In no way has it presented any security risks on my machines, all are running the latest version N360 Premium 22.17.0.183. IPv6 is also not present on my ISP device as well, FIOS via Verizon. IPv6 is also not present on the Core router. Having both enabled on a network where say an ISP will want to use only IPV4, connections can and do fail across the network. Gaming networks as well as wireless providers extensively use IPV6 since the costs to maintain those networks are lessened. The OP's issue with NAT was and is most likely with his provider.

You may also want to check your settings under "Uncommon Protocols" in the firewall setting area in your Norton product.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.116 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.1.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 1.98
Kudos0

IPv6 doesn't appear to be working on my machines.  Related to the latest Norton update?  I don't know.

Kudos0

Its enabled on both my ethernet and wifi adapters.

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.116 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.1.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 1.98
Kudos0

Mine shows as enabled except it isn't.

If I type IP into Google I get an IPv4 address.