• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton AppLock does not reset PINentered status when unlocking the device

Hi everybody.

I have Norton AppLocker installed on fresh Android 8.1 Oreo running on Samsung Galaxy Tab S4.

The app works just fine except one bug which ruins all idea of Apps locking and render the app useless.

The bug manifests itself in not resetting the PINentered flag (for all-session mode) for the app itself, after unlocking the device.

Suppose that user installed and correctly configured Norton Applock and enabled the protection for the listed apps. The apps are protected indeed, once the service is enabled. But if the Norton app is closed after enabling, and the device is locked down, and then unlocked, the app's PINentered flag is not reset (it does for every of the listed apps but not the Norton app itself).

Thus, another user can just open the Norton AppLocker and it will not demand entering graphical PIN on open. Thus, the intruder can easily disable all the protection with no question asked, and thus access all the "protected apps".

Now, why anybody needs protection which may be disabled with no efforts at all?

Note: if the NortonApp is open at the moment of locking down the device, then the flag is reset and the first thing user can see on unlocking the device is PIN enter request for the Norton AppLock app. But this is typically not the case as the Norton app is usually kept closed after some adjustments are made.

Please fix.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton AppLock does not reset PINentered status when unlocking the device

I am not seeing what you are on my Samsung Tab A on Android 8.1.

Something you can check is by tapping on the three bars at the top left of the App Lock screen. Then check that the Device Administrator setting is turned on.

You mention a fresh Android 8.1 Oreo. Have you restarted the device since this update?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Yes, I have restarted the device many times. The device itself is new and was shipped with Oreo 8.1 from box.

Administrator privileges are turned on for sure.

Maybe the reason is that I am using it on DeX mode? Because with DeX, when user closes the app it is closed and non suspended like it is in MUI mode?

I will now check it in MUI mode.

Kudos0

Well, in MUI mode it always work, but it will not only demand the PIN on any app start, but also on suspending and switching. As far as I understand this should not be so. But at least it never allows user to open Norton AppLock without PIN asked.

However in DeX mode it doesnt ask for PIN on protected App closing and this is good.

I am looking towards the DeX expierence rather than stay on MUI and I want the Norton AppLock app to be protected just the way other protected apps are - with compulsory PIN reset on device lock.

Just tell me how to set it up so that it will ALWAYS ask for PIN whenever Norton AppLock itself is open after device unlocking.

Can it be the case that when device is locked the apps are suspended and the Norton AppLock suspends before it has a chance to reset PINentered flag to FALSE?

Kudos0

Well, in MUI mode it always work, but it will not only demand the PIN on any app start, but also on suspending and switching. As far as I understand this should not be so.

When you first open an app that is protected by App Lock, do you uncheck the option Keep app locked in session. That way, the only time you should need the App Lock PIN should be when you allow the device to sleep, or shut down.

I'll have to refer the issue with DeX mode to my Norton contacts. I cannot access that on the devices I have. 

EDIT

You can at least check the setting in my image for the App Lock app while in DeX mode.

Kudos0

This checkbox is there for every protected app on the list. When it is checked, Norton AppLock will reset the PINentered status each time the app is closed, while when it is not, the PINentered status will only be reset when device is locked. And it works for every app on the list marked for protection, in this way. For every, but not for the NortonAppLock itself. There is no checkbox for it shown. It is always marked for protection on the list.

But it is not protected after device unlocks. That is the problem, user can just go to Norton AppLock and disable the protection with no PIN asked whatsoever.

I will try to disable suspending Norton AppLock forcibly in System settings and report.

Kudos0

No...disabling suspending of Norton AppLock did not change a thing. Again, the PINentered flag for Norton AppLock is not reset after device is unlocked in DeX, hence all the protection can be disabled with no PIN asked. Administrator rights for the app are granted.

Kudos0

I have passed this thread on to my Norton contacts.

Out of curiosity, which of the DeX features entice you to not use the standard UI?

Kudos0

Overall expierence and productivity, better stylus utilization, better multitasking, better display resolution (this specific model provides better ppi in DexMode).

Kudos0

Thanks for the added info.

Kudos0

I have gotten some feedback from my contacts. 

Are you using the multi screen mode to display your device's contents on a larger monitor? Or are you using multi window mode the device on its own in Dex mode?

Kudos0

@Samsung Galaxy Tab S4

This is what I have heard from my contacts. It is not good news for a app locker app in Dex mode.

Applock along with other applockers seem to not be compatible with Dex mode. When you launch these apps you will receive a toast message that says “Some functions of this app may not be supported in DeX”. If you mirror the screen i believe Dex will work but what users want to do is essentially run Dex in multi-window mode. We are unable to support multi-window mode unfortunately.