• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Cannot uninstall Norton Security Scan

Hello

Having experienced massive problems with Norton Security (Premium) I thought I try to uninstall and then reinstall it. That did not work, partially because the process f throwing it out did not complete. However, all of a sudden Norton Security Scan appeared in my programmes out of nowhere. A Norton support person then helped me to solve the other issues but now I cannot uninstall this ominous Security Scan. It gets as far as asking me whether I want "...to allow this programme to make changes..." on my computer but when I click 'Yes' nothing further happens but I do get error messages that Security Scan could not be started or something along those lines.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Cannot uninstall Norton Security Scan

Norton Security Scan can be installed during an uninstall of a Norton Security product. There is a check box you need to uncheck that box during the uninstall to avoid that feature being installed.

To remove it, using a Windows Admin account, go to Windows Settings - Apps and look for Norton Security Scan. Uninstall it from there, and then restart your computer.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I'm afraid that doesn't do anything either. As before, if I click on 'Uninstall' (and then 'Yes' for "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your computer) nothing happens.

Kudos0

If you restart your computer after trying to uninstall Norton Security Scan, does this stop the messages about the app not being found?   Try disabling Windows Fast Startup feature and then restart your computer again.  If you use Windows 10, there can be an issue with the Windows Fast Startup feature.. See more information here.

Are you using a Windows Administrator account while trying to do this?

Kudos0

To answer your questions:

1. I don't get the message that the app wasn't found. Simply nothing happens at all
  2. You are quite right, I had issues with the Fast Start, which is why it has been disabled for quite some time
  3. Yes, I am listed or recognised as the Administrator
Kudos0

I had issues with the Fast Start, which is why it has been disabled for quite some time

Did you verify that it is still disabled? If you recently got the Windows update to ver 1809, it probably reset the feature to ON.

but when I click 'Yes' nothing further happens but I do get error messages that Security Scan could not be started or something along those lines.

I asked about the error message because of what you originally posted.

Kudos0

Ah, now I know what you mean. First of all, when you mentioned it I looked and the box for Fast Start is still unchecked. With regards to that particular error message strangely it still comes up but more or less randomly. In the beginning when it first appeared it came up immediately with start up but now it could pop up at any time. Really weird ...

Kudos0

Hi Herr Manni:

Are you still looking for help with this issue?  I know of a few users who couldn't remove the last remnants of the Norton Security Scan utility after it was uninstalled via the Control Panel and had to download a fresh copy from https://security.symantec.com/GetNSS.aspx, reinstall, and then uninstall a second time.

If that doesn't solve your problem then see tolbiny's recent thread Norton Security Scan.  In that case, tolbiny found an orphaned task for the Norton Security Scan utility in their Windows Task Scheduler that kept trying to run after Norton Security Scan was uninstalled.  Once that orphaned task was deleted the error messages stopped.  If you think one of these orphaned tasks is causing your problem I'd recommend disabling the suspected task first (i.e., not deleting it altogether) and testing to see if it stops your error messages just in case you accidentally disable a scheduled task required for your main Norton Security protection.  SoulAsylum has posted an image <here> in tolbiny's thread of tasks in his Windows 10 Task Scheduler that are normally associated with his main Norton Security protection [e.g., Norton Security Autofix, Norton Security Error Analyzer, Norton Security Error Processor, Norton WSC Integration (for integration of Norton with the Win 10 Windows Security Center), etc.] and should not be deleted.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

Hello Imacri

Thank you for your attempt to help but I am afraid it was to no avail.

1. When I tried the idea with the fresh instal of the Security Scan I ended up with an error message that I was running a more powerful software (= Norton Internet Security) and that I should continue to use that. I looked for ways to instal it anyway but there didn't seem to be one, and I was in no mood to throw out Internet Security again, then have another go with the Security Scan, then reinstall Internet Security, ..... I have wasted far too much of my time on this already.
  2. I looked at Tolbiny's thread but
    1. I was unable to find an orphaned task. That doesn't mean it isn't there. I'm not very tech savvy and it could be I just didn't figure out how to find it.
    2. In the Task Scheduler I saw exactly what Tolbiny described and nothing else
    3. Like he/she I downloaded Malwarebytes but in my case it did not detect any files etc. that shouldn't be there

Once again thanks to you and everyone else who tried to help me solve this. Unfortunately, I think I have reached the point that seems to be inevitable as far as Norton is concerned where all one can do is to give up and hope that one day a better alternative will arrive on the scene.