• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

ghost 15 and windows 10

So, I'm starting one of the old discussions here but with an important point which I could not read in other older threads.

I want to use Ghost 15 to clone the partitions in my Hard drive that has Windows 10. That is, I want to boot from some Ghost 15 bootable Drive, clone hard drive and restore it.

I DONOT use the backup feature, NOR do I install Norton Ghost. I simply use a bootable Ghost 15 and clone my hard drive. Please tell me if this is supported and will the restore work ? If not, why and what will break ? 

Almost all the threads cover features like problems with Norton Ghost serial key after installation etc. but I'm not going to install the tool.

Also can i take image of hard drive in similar manner (booting from ghost) and restore on SSD and vice versa ? Please suggest? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: ghost 15 and windows 10

See this thread on Ghost  being discontinued and not having Windows 8 and 10 compatible versions.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-ghost-has-been-discontinued

So anything you try would be on your own. No support, and no promises.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks for replying.

Not supported doesn't mean not compatible, does it ? 

I just need it for personal use where I am imaging the C (System drive) to avoid the hassle of re-installing all programs and settings in my laptop (Windows 10). Do you have any clue if this should work ? 

Kudos0

Not supported doesn't mean not compatible, does it ? 

From the second post in that thread...

Update: Norton Ghost is incompatible with Windows 8 & Windows 10 - Please read above

So I would say it is not worth trying to see if it will work. There are other options out there for imaging a Windows 10 system. Some here, including myself, use the free version of Macrium Reflect.

Kudos0

Thanks for your insight.

I believe the post says that the backup feature is incompatible but I'm looking for imaging feature of Ghost and not backup. If you're imaging a hard drive, shouldn't it work irrespective of what is contained in the drive ? I need a iso / nrg / any similar format to be created which I can restore at a later date.

Can it affect activation serial key of windows if we image and restore the drive on different disk ? Will Windows 10 use the disk serial etc into account for the key?  What are your thoughts ? 

Can you please help me to get insight for following questions on Macrium free version - 

1. Does Macrium Reflect allow us to clone from ssd to hdd the way norton ghost did ?

2. Does it copy the boot sector etc too ?

3. Does it allow if the size of partition is different or do I need to put the same size ?

4. Can I run Macrium Reflect without starting the OS ? i.e. from Macrium Reflect based boot drive ? 

5. Does Macrium Reflect allow imaging older OS ? Win XP/ 7 to be specific ? 

6. Does it allow to restore nrg images ? 

Thanks

Kudos0

In the very first place, I'd like to recommend you back up Windows 10, at least operating system and important files, to a safe place. 

Then, the Macrium Reflect software, one of the most popluar cloning software, allows you to clone hard drive to SSD with ease. It has its own reputation among users. It would be easier to operate than Ghost. 

Regards. 

Kudos0

Thanks ingrid.

I agree. However, I just want to image the drive without starting it so that I can revert the installation packages the way they were before :-) 

I read about Macrium but the queries I had are not clearly answered anywhere. I am sure many people will have these questions before starting a new tool. So, I thought if any of you existing users can help me know more about them.

Thanks

Kudos0

Also, I am checking various videos on Macrium. I dont see a way to create an image of the hard drive using a bootable media ?? Please let me know if that exists.If it doesn't its one of the biggest drawback because I need to install Macrium on every system that I want to image :-\ 

So, first I will install macrium on one computer and create a bootable USB drive. Then I would someday, boot from this pen drive and try to backup some machine's hard drive (without booting from the hard disk drive) which may not have Macrium installed. Is that possible ? Using what option ? Can anyone give screenshots ? 

Kudos0

From my experience with Macrium, you run the app within Windows to create the images or backups. You only need the bootable media to restore the image or file backups.

Kudos0

Exactly, I can run the app within Windows of my machine-1 to create a bootable macrium media.

I want to take image of my machine-2 and machine-3 (either full hard drive or just a partition), without having to install macrium (avoid software footprints), on these two machines.

1. Do you think this is possible ? If you have macrium bootable media, can you try booting from it and see if it gives an option to create an image ?

2. Also, do you think Ghost 15 "imaging" shouldn't work with Windows 10 ? Can you test if you have any environment ? That is, If I boot from Ghost 15 and I tell Ghost 15 that I want you to image my computer (which has windows 10 on C Drive), and at a later date I go to some other system, boot from my pen drive and restore the image there, shoudn't it work ? 

I'd be really grateful if you could suggest on these two things ? 

Kudos0

1. Why do you need the option to create the image while booted into the rescue media. As I posted above, you just run Macrium from your Windows installation and you can create backup tasks, including full disk images.

2. I have never used Ghost. As the link I gave above says it definitely does not support Windows 8 or 10, and it might cause incomplete images and other unexpected results, why would you even think of creating a backup that you may not be able to rely on when you really need it? Stick with something that has proven to work.

Kudos0

Thank you for taking your time out to reply.

1. I want to be able to generate images from boot media for variety of reasons - avoid creating footprint of additional softwares on every machine I want to backup, ability to take snapshots of machine that doesnt boot well, forensic reasons, to take snapshot of newly issued machines etc.

2. Norton Ghost worked perfectly well for almost every machine I tried. All the issues that you can encounter are widely known and there is either a blog or post that you use to resolve them. The tool is taking "image" that is sector by sector of your drive to a nrg file. I dont see a reason why should it matter if I have installed Windows 7 or windows 10 or windows 20. I am presuming that it corrupts the keys somehow or if it uses some new file system that Ghost is unable to reproduce. So architecturally it should support.

Most blogs that say Ghost 15 is incompatible but then all of them are referring to the "backup and restore" feature and not the imaging feature. I only want to use the imaging feature.

Thus, I wanted to check with someone if they tried to make it work as I dont have a spare windows 10 machine to give it a try. Nor can i create a vm.

Thanks.

Kudos0

" the "backup and restore" feature " is the imaging feature. Forget Ghost 15 for Win10.

Kudos0

Yes, but I just want to understand where does the incompatibility stem from.

Kudos0

Yes, but I just want to understand where does the incompatibility stem from.

Does it really matter? Norton is not going to fix anything in a product that never supported Win 8 or 10, and is now EOL. 

When MS releases major OS updates, ie from Vista to Win 7, Win 7 to Win 8, etc, all software developers have to decide if they want to rewrite their software to work with any and all new programming APIs in the new OS. This could include methods of accessing hard drives, which would affect any software like Ghost.

Norton decided with this product that it would not support Win 8 or 10. 

Just look for a new solution that has been written for Win 10.

Kudos0

yes it does. Because the Norton product I"m talking about shouldn't care if the underlying OS is Windows 7or 10. I dont need support from Norton as I'm anyway doing a very simple task therein. I'm not using it for corporate but personal machines.

Also, for anyone who is interested, i tried to take a ghost image (not backup) of a machine from boot. But I couldn't even boot from the Norton ghost bootable drive. I did enable legacy boot support before trying but it did not work. I'm not sure why did this occur but I could only see a blank screen when trying to boot. I'm not sure if it is because Norton ghost 15 doesn't support some specific new hardware or something.

Effectively, Even if I had Windows 7 on this new hardware (new laptop that I just bought), it wouldn't have worked. I should have been able to boot from the Ghost bootable drive. but that did not work. :( If anyone has pointers let me know.

However, with Macrium it worked fine.