• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos3 Stats

A glitch is breaking all Firefox extensions

Did you just open Firefox only to find all of your extensions disabled and/or otherwise not working?

You’re not alone, and it’s nothing you did.

Reports are pouring in of a glitch that has spontaneously disabled effectively all Firefox extensions.

Each extension is now being listed as a “legacy” extension, alongside a warning that it “could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled”.

A ticket submitted to Mozilla’s Bugzilla bug tracker first hit at around 5:40 PM Pacific, and suggests the sudden failure is due to a code signing certificate built into the browser that expired just after 5 PM (or midnight on May 4th in UTC time).

Because the glitch stems from an underlying certificate, re-installing extensions won’t work — if you try, you’ll likely just be met with a different error message. Getting extensions back for everyone is going to require Mozilla to issue a patch.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/03/a-glitch-is-breaking-all-firefox-extensions/ 

Also a discussion here  -  https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/firefox-addons.396377/page-11#post-2825005

Windows 10 x64 1909 | Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: A glitch is breaking all Firefox extensions

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos0

ITMA. ONLY A TEMPORARY FIX ! DON'T REMOVE ANY ADD-ONS !
​If you really need your FF extensions, before they put it right. This worked for me.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/firefox-addons-being-disa...
1. Page down to Method 3.
2. Do what it says.
a. I downloaded/saved the .XPI files from 'addons Mozilla'.
b. Opened about:debugging, hit 'Load Temporary Add-on'.
c. Installed the saved .XPI file.
d. Add-on appears in the Browser Tool Bar.
N.B WHEN YOU CLOSE THE BROWSER, IT DUMPS BACK TO DEFAULT. AWAITING FF FIX.
The SinecoalCirph4.

Kudos1 Stats

Official updates are also being posted publicly on the developer's Mozilla Discourse site at https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/certificate-issue-causing-add-ons-to-be-disabled-or-fail-to-install/39047A temporary bug fix was just released about an hour ago and is being automatically pushed out in the background, but only to users who have the Firefox Shield Studies enabled in their preferences.

12:50 p.m. UTC / 03:50 a.m. PDT: We rolled-out a fix for release, beta and nightly users on Desktop. The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours, you don’t need to take active steps.

In order to be able to provide this fix on short notice, we are using the Studies system. You can check if you have studies enabled by going to Firefox Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Allow Firefox to install and run studies.

You can disable studies again after your add-ons have been re-enabled.

We are working on a general fix that doesn’t need to rely on this and will keep you updated.

Kudos to Caspy7 for posting that link in the Bugzilla bug report # 1548973. Just an aside that this issue doesn't seem to have affected the (unsupported) Firefox ESR v52.9.0 browser on my Vista machine.

EDIT:

Looks like my (unsupported) Firefox ESR v52.9.0 browser is affected as well.  This just popped up a few minutes ago:

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos1 Stats

In order to be able to provide this fix on short notice, we are using the Studies system. You can check if you have studies enabled by going to Firefox Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Allow Firefox to install and run studies.

You can disable studies again after your add-ons have been re-enabled.

All my extensions fired up. Disabled Run Studies. Job Done !
The SinecoalCirph4.

Kudos0

lmacri:

...Looks like my (unsupported) Firefox ESR v52.9.0 browser is affected as well....

Just a hint for Firefox ESR users (both v52.9 and v60.6) that Method 2 in Lawrence Abrams' bleepingcomputer thread Firefox Addons Being Disabled Due to an Expired Certificate should re-enable your extensions without the need to install a new Nightly or Developers build.  Just enter about:config in the address bar to enter the configuration settings and change the setting for xpinstall.signatures.required to FALSE.  I tried this in my Firefox ESR v52.9.0 and Tools | Add-ons | Extensions now shows a warning for Adblock Plus and my other extensions (“<extension name> could not be verified for use in Firefox.  Proceed with caution.“) but at least they’re functioning again.

Kudos to Pim for posting this temporary workaround for FF ESR users in the AskWoody.com thread Patch Lady – Firefox add ins disabled due to cert prob. The solution I mentioned <above> to enable Shield Studies (Firefox Preferences | Privacy & Security | Allow Firefox to Install and Run Studies) apparently doesn't work for FF ESR because the Shield Studies feature is not included in ESR versions of Firefox, including the latest FF ESR v60.6 for Win 7 SP1 and higher.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

The latest available announcements on this topic are now being posted on the public Mozilla Add-ons Blog at Update Regarding Add-ons in Firefox, which confirms that the fix being rolled out via the Shield Studies feature does not apply to FF ESR (extended support release) editions:

... It may take up to six hours for the Study to be applied to Firefox. To check if the fix has been applied, you can enter “about:studies” in the location bar. If the fix is in the active, you’ll see “hotfix-update-xpi-signing-intermediate-bug-1548973” in either the Active studies or Completed studies...

... Please note: The fix does not apply to Firefox ESR or Firefox for Android. We’re working on releasing a fix for both, and will provide updates here and on social media...

------------

Kudos0

I am in the same boat as you, imacri. I also use Firefox ESR 52.9.0 with my XP SP3 machine which is on Norton "maintenance mode". I was alarmed to see the red message telling me that Norton Safe Web could not be verified and had been disabled. I checked my Norton Internet Security  and all seemed well (i.e Systray green tick symbol and You are Protected etc).  However the Identity (or Online Safety) section confirmed that the Safe Web had been disabled and a yellow box invited me to "Set Up Now".  Needless to say clicking this did nothing. I keep XP SP3 because I have years of stuff on it and it is so easy to use.  I also have a Windows 7 computer which I find more complicated and restrictive in comparison.  I note that they are still working on fixing Firefox ESR so we will probably wait longer

Kudos0

I followed the suggested studies fix from Mozilla and all three extensions I use are working. Quickest fix for now. Looks like the hotfix is almost ready.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos0

I enable Shield Studies and restart Firefox and it is disabled again, so I'm going to be waiting for .04 release.

Kudos1 Stats

Sick of Mozilla faffing about with extensions.

Now using Pale Moon browser. Bye bye, Firefox.

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Latest Version
Kudos0

imbart:

I am in the same boat as you, imacri. I also use Firefox ESR 52.9.0 with my XP SP3 machine ...I note that they are still working on fixing Firefox ESR so we will probably wait longer

Hi imbart:

If you want to re-enable your extensions while you're waiting for a permanent fix for Firefox ESR v52.9.0 try the workaround posted <above>. Type about:config in your address bar and click I Accept the Risk when you see the warning This might void your warranty!.  Then search for xpinstall.signatures.required and double-click the setting to change the value from TRUE to FALSE . If and when a permanent fix is released for the unsupported FF ESR v52.9.0 you can go back into your configuration settings and double-click xpinstall.signatures.required to toggle the value back to the default TRUE.

The Firefox ESR they are referring to in the Mozilla blog entry Update Regarding Add-ons in Firefox might be FF ESR v 60.6.1 (released 22-Mar-2019) for Win 7 and higher.  I'm hoping Mozilla will also release a permanent fix for the FF ESR v52.9.0 (released 26-Jun-2018) for Win XP and Vista, but I haven't seen any official confirmation yet that this unsupported browser will eventually be fixed.
------------

Kudos0

Looks as though Add-ons up & running again (at least for Norton). I have 'Studies' ticked which might help although was ticked when problem originally surfaced. Based in UK.

Kudos0

Thank you, imacri, for your excellent suggestion.  I am a technophobe and probably shouldn't be on this Tech Outpost forum but the thread is wholly relevant to the problem..  If I follow your advice I shall probably mess it up. I prefer to  wait and pray that Norton supply the fix for ESR 52.9.0. After all I  should get my money's worth to use glitch free maintenance mode. I note from research the latest Safe Web add on is said to cover Firefox 48 and above. I hope that's true.

Kudos0

It is a Mozilla problem and it is up to them to resolve.  Norton / Symantec cannot fix this because it requires a new certificate from Mozilla.

Kudos2 Stats

Updates – Last Updated: 13:22 EDT May 5 2019

• A Firefox release is being pushed — version 66.0.4 on Desktop and Android, and version 60.6.2 for ESR. This release repairs the certificate chain to re-enable web extensions, themes, search engines, and language packs that had been disabled (Bug 1549061). There are remaining issues that we are actively working to resolve, but we wanted to get this fix out before Monday to lessen the impact of disabled add-ons before the start of the week. More information about the remaining issues can be found by clicking on the links to the release notes above. (May 5, 13:22 EDT)

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/ 

Kudos0

All good here now after the update.

Kudos0

imbart:

...I also use Firefox ESR 52.9.0 with my XP SP3 machine which is on Norton "maintenance mode"...I note that they are still working on fixing Firefox ESR so we will probably wait longer

Hi imbart:

Further to bjm's post <here>, there is currently no official fix for FF ESR v52.9.0 (the legacy version for Win XP and Vista, released 26-Jun-2018) and I still haven't read anything in the Bugzilla bug reports or official Mozilla blog posts to indicate they are even planning to release a hotfix for FF ESR v52.9.0 in the future.  Delivering a hotfix to our unsupported browsers is complicated by the fact that FF ESR v52.9.0 does not have a Shield Studies feature they can use to push a background update, and a manual check for updates at Help | About Firefox | Check for Updates currently reports:

In the mean time I've left xpinstall.signatures.required set to FALSE in my configuration settings (see the instructions <above>) and my extensions are all enabled and working.
------------

Kudos0

Many thanks, imacri, for your interest and assistance.

I still live in hope and will wait a little longer as the Firefox blog indicates that they are still working on the ESR fix. From the posts attached to the blog there appear to be a surprising number of people still on ESR 52.9.0.

Kudos0

ITMA.
​Fired up my rarely used, last resort machine. W7 Starter 32-Bit Atom Processor.
You can write a program faster, than the machine can execute it.
My 'Mozilla Mayhem' Extensions remained active.

On 'Extension Update', one wouldn't update. Removed / Reinstalled Extension. All OK !
FF updated itself to 6.0.4.
Fixed. Repaired certificate chain to re-enable web extensions that had been disabled.
Good 2 Go !
The SinecoalCirph4.

Kudos0

Hi imacri.

Just a question about the workaround.  I had a look at xpinstall.signatures. required and noticed there did not seem to be a quick change facility from true to false.  If it comes to it for me do I delete "true" and physically type in "false"?  Hope it's not a silly question.

Kudos0

Hi imacri (again)

Please ignore my last post. I have worked it out now and it was a silly question. Apologies.

Kudos0

imbart:
...I had a look at xpinstall.signatures.required and noticed there did not seem to be a quick change facility from true to false...

Hi imbart:

Once you have found xpinstall.signatures.required as instructed <here> just double-click on the setting to toggle the value from TRUE to FALSE.  The setting will be displayed in bold text once the value is changed to FALSE.  If you wish to change the value back to its default value TRUE just double-click again and the text will be unbolded.

ASIDE:

The Mozilla support article Configuration Editor for Firefox explains how about:config can be used to modify advanced settings in Firefox that are not available in the main interface at Tools | Options.  The Mozilla support article support article Add-on Signing in Firefox includes this explanation of the xpinstall.signatures.required setting:

Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR), Firefox Developer Edition and Nightly versions of Firefox will allow you to override the setting to enforce the extension signing requirement, by changing the preference xpinstall.signatures.required to false in the Firefox Configuration Editor (about:config page).

------------

Kudos0

Thanks again, imacri.

Both our last posts seem to clash at the same time - mine just ahead of yours.

I am very grateful for your invaluable help with this.

I shall still wait a little while to see if Firefox do anything about ESR 52.9.0 in the hope they don't abandon us.  It worked fine before this glitch so why won't it work again.

All the best to you. 

Kudos3 Stats

lmacri:

...If you want to re-enable your extensions while you're waiting for a permanent fix for Firefox ESR v52.9.0 try the workaround posted <above>. Type about:config in your address bar and click I Accept the Risk when you see the warning This might void your warranty!.  Then search for xpinstall.signatures.required and double-click the setting to change the value from TRUE to FALSE...

Forum Moderator philipp posted instructions today in the Firefox forum thread Add-ons disabled” problem in Firefox 52.9.0 ESR (32-bit) for Windows XP for manually importing the updated certificate into FF ESR v52.9.0 (the legacy version for Win XP and Vista) that fixed the problem in my own browser.

1. Download the updated certificate addons-public-intermediate.crt from https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-release/raw-file/tip/security/apps/addons-public-intermediate.crt.
  2. In Firefox, go to Tools | Options | Advanced | Certificates | View Certificates, click Import, and select the downloaded addons-public-intermediate.crt file.  Click OK in the pop-up dialog box (i.e., do not check any check boxes).  You will see a new certificate listed for Mozilla Corporation named signingca1.addons.mozilla.org (see attached image).
  3. Enter the advanced configuration settings (type about:config in the address bar) and search for app.update.lastUpdateTime.xpi-signature-verification. Right-click this setting and choose Reset from the context menu.
  4. Re-start Firefox.

If you previously implemented the temporary workaround and changed xpinstall.signatures.required to FALSE in about:config, remember to change this setting back to TRUE after importing the updated certificate.  My understanding that this is a permanent fix but this procedure will likely have to be repeated if you re-install / refresh your FF ESR v52.9.0 browser at some point in the future.

------------

Kudos0

Hi imbart:

Mozilla's official blog post Add-ons Disabled or Failing to Install in Firefox was updated yesterday and now states:

... We’re also working on a fix for older versions of Firefox, and will update this post and on social media as we have more information. (May 7, 15:37 EDT)...

I'm hoping that includes a bug fix for FF ESR v52.9.0 (the legacy version for Win XP and Vista), but it might be a few days before we hear anything definite.
------------

Kudos0

Many thanks again, imacri for your assistance and knowledge..

I had in fact used the workaround as it wasn't clear whether Firefox were going to attend to ESR 52.9.0  but following your most comprehensive instructions (above)  I am now back to the pre-glitch situation. 

Kudos0

1. Download the updated certificate addons-public-intermediate.crt from https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-release/raw-file/tip/security/apps/addons-public-intermediate.crt (link is external).
  2. In Firefox, go to Tools | Options | Advanced | Certificates | View Certificates, click Import, and select the downloaded addons-public-intermediate.crt file.  Click OK in the pop-up dialog box (i.e., do not check any check boxes).  You will see a new certificate listed for Mozilla Corporation named signingca1.addons.mozilla.org (see attached image).
  3. Enter the advanced configuration settings (type about:config in the address bar) and search for app.update.lastUpdateTime.xpi-signature-verification. Right-click this setting and choose Reset from the context menu.
  4. Re-start Firefox.

ITMA.
​Fired-up my ancient-artifact machine. Applied the 'fix'.
JOB DONE. CHEERS TO ALL !

SinecoalCirph4.

Kudos0

Another quick FYI that the Bugzilla bug report #1549604 at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1549604 is tracking the progress of the hotfix for legacy versions of Firefox (releases 52 through 60).  It's apparently been tested on FF ESR v52.9.0 and it looks like they're getting close to an official release, although I'm still not sure if it will eventually be delivered through regular update channels (e.g., Help | About Firefox | Check for Updates) or if they will be using some other method to deliver the updated certificate.

Kudos to Forum Moderator cor-el for posting about this bug tracker in the Firefox forum thread “Add-ons disabled” problem in Firefox 52.9.0 ESR (32-bit) for Windows XP.
------------

Kudos0

To be honest, i never cared for either Firefox, Chrome, or Edge.  If a website will allow it, i'm still using IE 11 (Win 10 ver.)  In the case that it doesn't (reluctantly) i use Edge, but, don't appreciate the organization of it. 

Regards,

H.B. 

Kudos3 Stats

lmacri:

Another quick FYI that the Bugzilla bug report #1549604 at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1549604 is tracking the progress of the hotfix for legacy versions of Firefox (releases 52 through 60).  It's apparently been tested on FF ESR v52.9.0 and it looks like they're getting close to an official release, although I'm still not sure if it will eventually be delivered through regular update channels (e.g., Help | About Firefox | Check for Updates) or if they will be using some other method to deliver the updated certificate...

An official bug fix has now been released for Firefox ESR v52.9.0 for users who have not manually imported the updated certificate.

The Mozilla blog Add-ons Disabled or Failing to Install in Firefox was updated today (12:51 EST May 13, 2019) and now notes that an extension has been posted on the official Mozilla AMO store at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disabled-add-on-fix-52-56/ that should automatically "re-enable extensions that were disabled on May 3, 2019 for Firefox versions 52 - 56".

According to the Bugzilla bug report # 1550793 Mozilla has developed three separate extensions (FF 52 to 56; FF 57 to 61; FF 62 to 65) that will add the updated certificate to older versions of Firefox. I've already followed the instructions I posted <above> to manually install the updated certificate in my FF ESR v52.9.0 browser so I don't plan to install the new extension posted today on the Mozilla AMO store unless I hear there's a good reason to do so (e.g., that the certificate delivered by the extension posted on the AMO is actually newer than the one I already imported on 07-May-2109).

If you go to Tools | Add-ons | Extensions and still see a warning for your extensions (“<extension name> could not be verified for use in Firefox.  Proceed with caution.“) as shown in my image <here> remember to enter your advanced browser settings (type about:config in your address bar), and ensure the setting for xpinstall.signatures.required is set to the default TRUE.
------------

Kudos0

Hi imacri

I manually installed the fix to Firefox 52.9.0 as you outlined above and all has been fine until today when I noticed that although the Norton Safe Web shows as installed the icon will not tick green and remains a question mark throughout.

I am considering to remove my current manual Safe Web and reinstall the Safe Web add-on which FF has  provided since then and although my xpinstall.signatures.required is set to TRUE  I am unsure whether anything should be done to app.update.lastUpdateTime.xpi-signature-verification which I previously clicked to RESET before proceeding with the manual fix or do I just install the new FF add-on over the top..

I would be grateful for your advice.

Kudos0

Hi again imacri

Further info re above query . 

I notice that when all was well with the Safe Web add on the version was 3.7.0.11. The trouble with the icon seems to be with the very recent automatic upgrade to 3.8.0.6. .Apart from the permanent question mark icon all else seems OK according to FF and Norton. As mentioned I am looking to remove and replace the Safe Web addon but am not sure what  RESET affected  (as above) and whether any further action there is required..

Kudos0

imbart:

I notice that when all was well with the Safe Web add on the version was 3.7.0.11. The trouble with the icon seems to be with the very recent automatic upgrade to 3.8.0.6.....

Hi imbart:

I don't use Norton Safe Web but I installed v3.8.0.6 today and see the same problem as you - the Safe Web icon is a grey question mark (no available information) on all sites I visit in my FF ESR v52.9.0 browser.

I temporarily disabled certificate checking for add-ons in about:config by changing  xpinstall.signatures.required  to FALSE and that didn't help, so I don't think it has anything to do with signing of the add-on certificate.  I also checked the Norton Services Status at https://status.norton.com/ and the Norton Safe Web server is currently up and running in my area.  Disabling my other extensions didn't help so it doesn't appear to be caused by a conflict with another extension. Refreshing the web page in my FF ESR browser didn't help either.

I removed v3.8.0.6 from my browser and installed the previous v3.7.0.11 from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/versions/ and v3.7.0.11 is working fine so the problem seems to be confined to new to the latest v3.8.0.6.  I'd suggest starting a new thread in the Norton Password Manager | Norton Safe Web board about this issue.
------------

Kudos0

Thanks, imacri,  So it seems to be another glitch.

I'll repeat it on the other board as you suggest.  Thank you for your input