• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Windows Face no longer works after installation of Norton 360

I use Windows Face on Windows 10 as my primary logon. This has been working ok until yesterday when I upgraded my Norton package to Norton 360. I am unable to log on using Windows Face.On investigation Windows Settings -> Accounts -> Sign in options -> Windows Hello Face, I am now advised that my camera is not compatible with Windows Face. Everything worked up until Norton 360 was installed which leads me to believe it has to be the route cause of the issue. Has anyone else experienced this issue or know any way to resolve the problem I really would like this issue resolved as it is my primary way to log on. I really dont want to have to go through a full system restore to repair the issue.

Labels: Installation

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Windows Face no longer works after installation of Norton 360

After the installation of 360, did you run LiveUpdate manually a few times, restarting as necessary, until no updates are available? Then restart the computer once more to ensure all updates were installed.

Sounds like this may be related to the new Safe Cam feature in the new Norton 360. See this Norton KB article for information on this new Safe Cam feature. You could try turning the feature off, then restart your system to see if that resolves your issue.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Sorry I have run the Live Update and also switched off the Safe Cam features with no luck. I should point out that my Logitech Bluetooth Mouse drivers also failed during the upgrade process, uninstalling these and re-adding the mouse resolved this issue, however no success attempting this with the Camera. I appear to have lost the Microsoft Bio-metrics Drivers completely with no way to reinstall them and my camera is no longer registered as an IR camera. I am really not sure what to do now as I don't really want to go through the entire restore process to fix an issue which is directly attributable to the 360 update. Symantec really should be reading these forums and provide me with a fix as it appears this is the only sensible way to log issues...

Kudos0

When you turned off the Safe Cam features, did you also look at the instructions to allow specific apps to use Safe Cam? Try turning Safe Cam on again and see if you can allow access to your camera.

What version of Win 10 are you using? Did you happen to get the 1809 update around the time you got 360?

To try to fix the issues with missing Windows drivers, click on Start and type CMD in the search box. Right click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator. Type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This will check your Windows installation and try to correct any errors it finds.

Kudos0

I have tried all the safe cam features with no success - wasn't expecting it too as windows no longer recognises the camera as being suitable for Windows Hello. I have already run 'sfc /scannow' which did not restore the drivers and there have been no recent Windows 10 updates. By the way I am actually on version 1903 as I am in the insider preview program I have had this version running since April and it has been stable and I the previous version of Norton was not problematic. The problems started after the first attempt to 360 failed and I had to use the Norton Remove/ Reinstall exe although the Camera and Mouse continues to work until 360 was installed. Really not impressed with the situation even less impressed that I have to use this forum to raise the issue....

Kudos0

As a follow up to my last comment

I have just had Norton remote on to my laptop.

They refuse to accept any of their products have caused any issues. I got the technician to run the Norton Remove/ reinstall program and guess what - My Bluetooth Mouse drivers are corrupt/ removed again just like when I ran the process on Saturday and yet they still refuse to accept liability.  Thankfully unlike the camera the Bluetooth mouse is easy to fix so I will get it working again , reinstall Norton 360 and run the remove program again whilst filming the process to prove its the remove program. It very obvious that their remove program is the cause of my issues and as such it is their responsibility to get my laptop running again  with minimal inconvenience to me. I really am not happy with Symantec after this, how can you not accept responsibility when your technician has witnessed some of the issue! 

Kudos0

What exact Windows version are you using? Other insiders are finding issues with Norton in this thread. 

Norton does not officially support insider versions, which are essentially beta OS versions.  See this Norton KB Article. 

Kudos0

I have discovered that it was actually Norton remove / add that has been causing the problem and not a problem with 360 at all. I had to run remove / add to remove the previous installation of Norton before installing 360. Having run add  remove again had caused the drivers for the bluetooth mouse to corrupt. Ok to be fair to Norton they dont support insider versions, however their remove program really should not touch drivers for other devices irrespective of Window version that is just poor.