• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NORTON SECURITY DELUXE IN ASIA REGION NO.SAFE CAM & DATA PROTECTOR FEATURE

Dear Norton,

I should write again about the complaint that 2 mandatory features in Norton Security for Asia Region are SAFE CAME & DATA PROTECTOR didn't found in Norton Security Deluxe that I have it (Ver 22.17.2.46), frankly speaking I don't understand about the sales policy implemented to another region outside the USA, as I have been the loyal user for couple years since Norton product version 2010.

I hope Norton can reconsider to put these features to another region as well as in Asia.

Look forward from Norton management reply these complaint.

Thanks & B/regards,

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NORTON SECURITY DELUXE IN ASIA REGION NO.SAFE CAM & DATA PROTECTOR FEATURE

Same here. I live in Poland and using Polish version of Norton Security and don't have this features too. 

Kudos0

Therefore it is a strange marketing policy, because these two features should be standard features that should be found in premium products such as Norton Security Deluxe, without differentiating the area for marketing, because other vendors with their standard products already have these facilities.

Look forward the reply soon from Norton Sales Marketing soon.

B/regards,

Kudos0

I totally agree with you, guys! Same here... These features are found in other security suites for all regions! Actually, they MUST be available in Norton, too. These are common features a premium anti-virus must have!!!

For example, this Data Protector feature which Norton added recently, is a protection layer for ransomware attacks. Such features has been available in other security suites (e.g. Bitdefender, ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky and even Microsoft Windows Security) from long time ago. Norton is waaaaay back from its competitors. And even when Norton makes some new features available, it restricts it to some specific regions! This is DISGUSTING.

Kudos0

If you see in the Product Manual of Norton Security Deluxe (you can find it in help center to find the Product Manual) you can see how to Configure Data Protector to Malicious Processes Affecting Your PC in Chapter No.5 Page 34, 46-49. This is out of sync with facilities in Norton Security that I don't have it...therefore I don't understand about in consistent it.

I understand some products not sale in some region due to Government Policy such as Lifelock and this product already separately but not with Norton Security product as this is the core consumer product that should not depend on the region.

I think Norton/Symantec should be reconsider and give this feature soon to all region as there are no restriction in another country.

Look forward to have a reply from Norton/Symantec.

B/regards,

Kudos0

My guess is that as the new 360 product line is rolled out to different markets, those features will be included. As usual, no timeline given for this product expansion.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Folks: I have safe cam in my Norton 360 install but not the Data Protector. I seem to remember one of the Admins saying the Data Protector feature is ONLY being offered up to "those randomly selected" to test the feature. I will look for the thread with that information and post the link here when found.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Norton EAP - 'Norton Data Protector' is a part of Norton 22.17.2!
https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-data-protector-part-norton-22172

I'm not finding Data Protector with release channel 22.17.2.46.
https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-2217246-windows-now-available

Kudos0

bjm_:

Norton EAP - 'Norton Data Protector' is a part of Norton 22.17.2!
https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-data-protector-part-norton-22172

Question for the Win 10 users out there. The screenshot for Norton Data Protector in the Norton EAP Beta forum and the description in the support article FAQs: Norton Data Protector  appear almost identical to the Win 10 Controlled Folder Access feature introduced in Win 10 Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update) - see the BleepingComputer October 2017 article Windows 10's "Controlled Folder Access" Anti-Ransomware Feature Is Now Live.

Has anyone had a chance to compare both features on a Win 10 machine?  Even Norton SafeCam looks like it duplicates the function of the Win 10 privacy settings that allow you to selectively permit / block applications that can access your webcam at Settings | Privacy | Camera - see the Lenovo support article How to Use Your Integrated Camera in Windows 10.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

It is to be costly to get the mandatory both features the customer should be wait and upgrade the products

Kudos3 Stats

lmacri. The protected folder option cannot be viewed or has been replaced in Windows 10 version 1903, and Windows Defender must have "real time" protection enabled. Having Norton installed disables real time protection on the system in Windows 10 since one would conflict with the other with a 3rd party A/V solution installed. I believe the current setting/feature is "Core Protection" under "Device Security", even that cannot be started with Norton installed. Both the Safe Cam and Data Protector features appear to be limited to a select audience as they are basically still in BETA as far as I can tell.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

lmacri:

Question for the Win 10 users out there. The screenshot for Norton Data Protector in the Norton EAP Beta forum and the description in the support article FAQs: Norton Data Protector  appear almost identical to the Win 10 Controlled Folder Access feature introduced in Win 10 Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update) - see the BleepingComputer October 2017 article Windows 10's "Controlled Folder Access" Anti-Ransomware Feature Is Now Live.

Has anyone had a chance to compare both features on a Win 10 machine?  Even Norton SafeCam looks like it duplicates the function of the Win 10 privacy settings that allow you to selectively permit / block applications that can access your webcam at Settings | Privacy | Camera - see the Lenovo support article How to Use Your Integrated Camera in Windows 10.

So, you're thinking Norton is leveraging Windows features?  By "compare both features" you mean?  At this time, I have W10 machine with Norton EAP and W10 machine with Windows Defender.  

Kudos1 Stats

SoulAsylum:

The protected folder option cannot be viewed or has been replaced in Windows 10 version 1903, and Windows Defender must have "real time" protection enabled...

Hi SoulAsylum:

That would make sense. Windows Controlled Folder Access is part of the current Windows Defender Advanced Threat Detection (ATP) so it should be automatically disabled along with Windows Defender when Norton is installed. Perhaps Norton felt they had to add a similar Norton Data Protection feature to keep up with Windows Defender.

According to page 2 of Susan Bradley's ITWorld article Best New Windows 10 Security Features: Windows Sandbox, More Update Options Windows Defender is now called Windows Security in Version 1903 and "controlled folder access, added in 1709, has moved to the Ransomware protection section."  at Security | Virus & Threat Protection | Ransomware Protection | Controlled Folder Access.

Both the Safe Cam and Data Protector features appear to be limited to a select audience as they are basically still in BETA as far as I can tell.

I don't know about Norton Data Protector, but the support article Norton SafeCam states that "Norton SafeCam is available only for a limited number of users" so that does sounds like it's still in beta.  Norton started rolling out Norton SafeCam to a limited number of users with stable (not EAP beta) versions of Norton several months ago - see MomOfARocker's June 2018 thread Is Safecam a new feature of Norton Securitiy? and LinYu2's unexpected Norton SafeCam error messages in the October 2018 thread What is Norton Lifelock?.  Early feedback must have been quite negative if it still isn't stable enough to go into wide release.

The Windows 10 webcam controls at Settings | Privacy | Camera don't look like they're part of the Windows Defender AV so I assume users can still access those settings after Norton is installed.  

I don't know if this is a reasonable extrapolation, but I have my Firefox browser configured to clean my temporary internet files and cookies on exit, and Norton's Firefox Cleanup settings at Settings | Administrative Settings | Firefox Cleanup are always disabled / greyed out because my custom settings inside Firefox (Tools | Options | Privacy | History) take precedence over my Norton settings.  I wonder if Norton SafeCam settings will also be automatically disabled if the webcam controls in Win 10 are enabled (or vice versa)?

----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos2 Stats

bjm_:

....So, you're thinking Norton is leveraging Windows features?  By "compare both features" you mean?

Hi bjm_:

I don't know if "leveraging" or "copying" is the correct word, but Norton Data Protection and Norton SafeCam certainly sound like features already built in to Win 8.x and Win 10.  SoulAsylum correctly points out that you can't do a side-by-side comparison on the same machine if installing Norton automatically disables the comparable protection feature in Windows 10, but it wouldn't be unusual for Norton to duplicate features already built-in to Windows.  For example, Norton has two disk defragmenter tasks at Settings | Task Scheduling | Automatic Tasks | Disk Optimization and Settings | Administrative Settings | Idle Time Optimizer (why Norton needs one disk optimizer, let alone two, is beyond me) and AFAIK these defrag tasks in Norton borrow heavily from the Windows Defragmenter API (application programming interface).  Do Norton's "custom" disk defragmenters really do a better job of defragging my disk than Windows Defragmenter?  Do I really need Norton to clean my IE and Firefox browser history when the software developers have already built that functionality into their browsers?

I applaud Norton for finally including Norton SecureVPN in their new Norton 360 Standard / Deluxe / Premium product line since reputable VPNs like TunnelBear Free for Win 7 and higher (i.e., VPNs that won't monitor or log your online activity) will often limit you to 500 MB of free data transfer per month, which might only be sufficient for light browsing in public WiFi hotspots.  I also don't mind Norton adding a feature like Norton SafeCam if it actually improves the security of Win 7 computers that might be missing some of the "latest and greatest" security features now included with Win 8.x and Win 10.  However, every time Norton duplicates a feature that's already built in to an operating system or third-party browser we're just paying for the convenience of configuring those features from the Norton interface.

Sorry for the long rant, but I dread having to perform clean reinstall of my Norton product these days because it takes longer for me to go through my settings and disable all the unnecessary bloat than it does to actually wipe and reinstall my product.  And to add insult to injury, the Norton v22.2.15.2 legacy version I use on my Vista SP2 machine will never include newer features like Norton SecureVPN, Norton SafeCam, Norton Data Protection, etc. so Norton keeps charging ever-increasing subscription fees for features I can't even use.
----------

Kudos1 Stats

I hear ya'.  I'm not a fan of integrated products.  Just me.  

...and when M$ went negative on registry cleaners.....Norton drops reg cleaner. 

Norton wants to sell widget where other players want to sell their widget and where there's a really big player perfecting their ubiquitous, non-subscription, built in-house.... widget. 
Who knows best how to fix the holes in their platform than their platform engineers. 

Call me skeptical.  Were there no identity theft....would there be Identity Theft widget.  

Dog wags his tale or tale wags the Dog

Kudos1 Stats

All: Being that the update to 22.17.2.47 was announced on 28 May, and, after many live update sessions both automatic and manual on my main laptop, I just received that update today. Just before doing the update I checked my history as I often do at least once daily, I found "data protector" as listed in the History UI. However, it is NOT listed in the Antivirus section of the Norton UI. Even after the update which was an NGC update and a reboot, data protector is still not found. Just passing along the info for the community to know. It would appear Norton is planning for a release or at least prepping for DP and a wide spread update.

Antivirus Settings missing DP

DP shows in history

NGC update to 22.17.2.47

Kudos0

Last night I received also this update to 22.17.2.47, however there is no feature update such as no Data Protection & the Safe Cam only minor changes:

This build contains the below changes:

• Fix for a Main UI crash instance
  • Few other minor bug fixes
  • Performance improvements

Note: This is a throttled release.

Hope & Pray can receive the Safe Cam & Data Protector features soon in my Norton Security Deluxe

Kudos2 Stats

lmacri:

Has anyone had a chance to compare both features on a Win 10 machine? 

Please review: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/data-protector-feedback 

Kudos1 Stats

bjm_

Please review: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/data-protector-feedback 

Hi bjm_:

Thanks for posting those results over in the Norton EAP (beta) board.  Norton Data Protector looks like it offers far less protection than Win 10's Controlled Folder Access feature, but perhaps Norton deliberately designed it that way so it's less intrusive than Folder Control Access.   I was disappointed by your early test results with Norton Data Protector and added some feedback in your Norton EAP (beta) thread.
----------

Kudos0

Comrades, 

i think, that safe cam and data protector - part of new security product - Norton 360 (with lifelock), not NS, but these technologies was tested based on NS EAP. 

Don't wait this in NS. N360 will appear in sales worldwide, soon probably. 

I do not think, that these functions are very important. Norton several years shows the highest possible efficiency in independent tests. But i want use these new technologies too for maximum level of protection. 

https://us.norton.com/norton-security-antivirus?inid=nortoncom_nav_norton-security-antivirus_homepage:home

Try NEW Norton 360 Deluxe

Norton 360 Deluxe has everything Norton Security Deluxe did, plus new features:

• 50 GB Cloud Backup4, ‡‡
  • Password Manager
  • Parental Control‡
  • Secure VPN
  • SafeCam5

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.