• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Unable to install on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18922.1000] Insider Preview

Old problem with Windows Insider is back again [in past 17063 was infected]. Since last rollout of Windows Insider Microsoft Windows 18922 there is no way to install Norton Security Premium. Funny think is durring the install there is a rollback and log collection with Send button but this is also not working there is no chance to send a log to Symantec.

I hope soon or later this will be fixed like we see in past.

Regards

Mateusz

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Unable to install on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18922.1000] Insider Preview

I hit the 'me too' button

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Re: Unable to install on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18922.1000] Insider Preview

When I updated to build 18922 Norton stopped working and ran an automated fix which failed. The Norton UI suggested running the Norton Power Eraser which I did. It found and fixed three Registry items it said were at fault then suggested running the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool. When i did that the installer went through removal then, after restart, attempted to reinstall Norton. The Norton Installer ran up to the point of activating the installation but then failed with an unknown error. When I attempt to select "send a report to Symantec" it acts as though it is sending the report but then cycles back to the "send a report" screen. The only way to remove this screen is to restart the computer, Norton Installer then tries to begin the installation all over again till I cancel the installer twice then it shuts down and stays shut down till I retry the installation again from the installation files, but it fails again with the same unstated error and begins the retry cycle all over again. Between Microsoft and Symantec there should be a way to solve this recurring issue.

Kudos0

Yep, I see that as well. Between Microsoft & Norton, they have made my system rich pickings for intruders as I have no protection enabled.
Kudos0

Norton may or may not work with Preview/beta programs.

Because of the ever changing features, nothing is guaranteed to work.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

I'm aware of that. This is the first time that Norton has not worked with the latest beta release
because of that I considered it worthy of note

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Reply not aimed at you, Dick ! Just letting other uers know things may not work as planned !

Windows 10 Home X 64
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Have just updated with the newest release of MS Preview Build 18932 and have successfully installed Norton after losing it with 18917.

Suggestion would be to remove all previous copies if not done so and then download again. I did not disable MS Defender just removed the old copies and then followed installation.

Kudos0

yep Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18932.1000] and latest installer solve the problem.

Kudos0

norton is installed on windows 10 insider preview 18932 i reported it in feedback hub myself

Kudos0

I have attempted sevrl times to re-install my norton program ( which I recv from Xfinity ) using the new beta preview 18932 and it fails every time. Is it because the program is being offered through 3rd party?

Kudos0

Looks like they use old installer. For me last prev update and then download from my norton products do the job.
Kudos0

This is a violation of the Norton 360 License as it has no caveats regarding Windows 10 Prerelease.  I have been running Prerelease Windows 10 for well over a year and Norton has never said they will not support these releases.  Everyone should be asking for their money back

Kudos0

Kudos0

My concern is not that they may have the right to stop supporting any given version of an OS.  My concern is I entered into a good faith agreement with Norton/Symantec by purchasing a one year License.  If they are not going to fulfill their obligation I would like to be reimbursed for the amount equal to the remainder of my license.  If I bought their software and paid with a bad check, I am sure they would want restitution from me and frankly I would agree with them.  I support fairness.  What further incites me is the way they stopped their software from working .  I got a message that they needed to restart their software making me think that an update was imminent.  Going through the process they state that their software can not remove and old version and an error report is being generated.  Then they state that their is no internet connection to send the report which I thoroughly did not understand since I thought/did just down load an installer.  Their was absolutely no indication on their part that they were stopping their support.  This in my view is/was very fraudulent.

Kudos1 Stats

Okay, lets state some facts.

1. You, yourself, have stated that one of your computers is part of Microsoft's Pre-release built options.

2. You yourself, had the experience of loosing the option of keeping up to date and copy of Norton to which you had purchased for said period of time.

3. You claim that it was Norton's fault for removal of said software yet you stated that your version of the operating system has been (to be put bluntly) modified by your own acceptance of allowing it to be part of receiving possible damaging updates (yes its stated by Microsoft's own site)

4. You claim that its Semantics duty to fix the problem but yet you can't really say it was their fault. Why? Because both released updates, yet the forums are not flooded with the new update but from people who got the Pre-release.

Now lets look at some things.  You, by being part of a company's testing of possible unstable updates (for that is what the fast rings pre-release mostly are even if tested out before release) to be placed on your computer which has a slight chance of becoming unstable when part of the fast ring. Hence you BROKE that good faith when you signed up with Microsoft. Symantec, was in good faith, updating its software on what they assumed to be a stable operating system. You altered it, not the other way around since you had to opt in. If your unaware of that then I would highly suggest that you refresh yourself on what you, yourself, have allowed to be committed to your computer for if you lose any data, Microsoft has also stated (as with any company worth their salt) they will not be held responsible in any way, shape or form of retrieving it. It's you as the user to backup any documents, photos and such in the event of possible corruption.

Hope your doing diligent backups of your data you need.

Now you claim it was Symantec's fault for uninstalling its software.  I know what I opted it to do after I first updated to MS's update which first caused the problem.  It asked to do a repair or reinstall to which the software then uninstalled and then tried to reinstall to which then failed. (The update of virus definitions most likely failed which caused it to think it was corrupted.)  Somewhere it was Microsoft's not Symantec's doing that prevented Norton's inability to communicate back to the site to verify itself.

Now my question is this.  DID YOU even bother to check either forums about the update or are you one that just blindly accepted the chance to see what could possibly be upgrades to Win10?  If so I would suggest that you detach yourself from the ring because one day you just might get bit hard in the .... and whine Oh Woah is me. Format -- reinstall.

Now back to Norton.  As as been previously stated, no company is generally involved that deeply in what or how Microsoft pushes updates as they are not as privileged as some might suspect. It's called protecting proprietary software.  Only after its been proven stable will they most likely give some info about it in accordance with agreements between the companies.  It's not Symantec's responsibilities to try and keep up with updates that are not finalized. Can you if you were a developer? And if you say yes... Liar.

Hell did you even check like I stated the forums? Or are you one that dwells in blind faith and never had a problem till now? Lucky you. Do you even know what problems each new update brings? I know I do. In fact I even know the difference on what a BSOD vs a GSOD is and who gets them.

And as a final note bear this in mind. The minute you reach out to tech support and hint or mention legal action -- any further action or call will cease as its marked in your file as with probably being told to write to their legal office.  THAT  will also be your responsibility, not theirs for you were the one who just instigated legal action against them.

Oh and if your unaware, Microsoft's forum also states that 18932 also fixed the problem. But I also posted that here as well.