• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

'Agent Smith' malware & Norton Mobile Security Version 4.6.0.4393

Hi,

I read following link,

“Agent Smith”: The New Virus to Hit Mobile Devices

What will be Norton Response/Information/Solution about it?

Thanks,

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 'Agent Smith' malware & Norton Mobile Security Version 4.6.0.4393

Good read. Looks like you really have to work to get it installed on your Android device. First you need to use a third party App Store, which is never recommended. Then you have to turn on the setting to allow installing apps from unknown sources in Android Settings. I’ll check to see how Norton handles this.
Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks peterweb,

1. Is there possibility of this malware infection in mobile devices which not have any non recommended Apps/settings or 3rd party App stores?

2. In 3rd party App store/s are there Norton products present for download & install? If Yes, then what is Norton's comment about it?

3. There is few steps to install non recommended Apps or Non Recommended steps for install Recommended Apps, like

Via Sharing & installation of apk file from infected mobile in good mobile is one of the possibility.

Good mobile have all settings/apps as per recommendation but one or many apps installed by non recommended way.

For few minutes settings change , install, set recommended setting after installation is common practise by many people.

(I think they fool themselves by doing such things). So question is how Norton handle this or similar situations?

4. Is there possibility of pre-installed 3rd party app or App Store/s by mobile manufacturers so infection spread, how Norton handle this or similar situations? 

Kudos0

1. Is there possibility of this malware infection in mobile devices which not have any non recommended Apps/settings or 3rd party App stores?

I suppose anything is possible. The article you link seems to indicate that so far it seems to only be spread from 3rd party App Stores.

2. In 3rd party App store/s are there Norton products present for download & install? If Yes, then what is Norton's comment about it?

I have heard that Norton is available for Kindle/Amazon devices which use a proprietary version of the Android OS. But genuine Norton apps are distributed only through the Google Play Store.

3. There is few steps to install non recommended Apps or Non Recommended steps for install Recommended Apps, like

Via Sharing & installation of apk file from infected mobile in good mobile is one of the possibility.

Good mobile have all settings/apps as per recommendation but one or many apps installed by non recommended way.

For few minutes settings change , install, set recommended setting after installation is common practise by many people.

(I think they fool themselves by doing such things). So question is how Norton handle this or similar situations?

I have asked my Norton contacts whether Norton Mobile Security, NMS, detects this malware. I'll let you know what I hear.

4. Is there possibility of pre-installed 3rd party app or App Store/s by mobile manufacturers so infection spread, how Norton handle this or similar situations? 

Again, I suppose anything is possible. There were reports of cheap Asian phones that came with malware in the OS image.

And again, from the description, a user has to take a few unsafe choices to get themselves infected.

I'll post back when I hear any news on Norton detecting this malware.

Kudos0

Here is the response I received from my contacts.

Following is some information received from the Security Technology & Response team, which maintains and helps thwart various types of threats:

We did research, and succeeded in finding out 4 sample binary according to the blog. Mobile Insight already covered them all as malware before. We are confident enough to claim that Norton users are protected against this threat.

So Norton will help protect you from this malware.

Kudos0

Is the program already detecting this threat (malware)?

Kudos0

"Is the program already detecting this threat (malware)?"

Mobile Insight already covered them all as malware before. We are confident enough to claim that Norton users are protected against this threat.