• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Same Message Everyday - fd00: attempting to Access CommCenter

Every day I am asked this question:  The computer "fd00: is attempting to access CommCenter on your computer.  Do you want to allow this connection?

Selecting Always use this action for "CommCenter" doesn't appear to make any difference.  I am still asked this question at least once a day.  Sometimes several times a day.

What is going on?  How to I fix this issue?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Same Message Everyday - fd00: attempting to Access CommCenter

Hello azdude. The message you are seeing is an IPV6 address on your LOCAL network attempting to connect to your MAC. Most likely this is a software suite accessing your network to update itself. Try resetting your Norton firewall and a reboot. Lets see if we can identify WHAT the source is when it reappears on the network.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.356 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

SoulAsylum,

Yes I also concluded that it was an address on my local network.  Unfortunately, completely removing Norton with the Norton removal tool doesn't solve the issue.  As soon as Norton is reinstalled the issue reappears.  Something has changed with Norton.  This was never an issue in the past.  (I have used Norton Mac for over five years.)

The biggest frustration is selecting "Always use this action" doesn't seem to do anything.  Everyday, the same question appears over and over again.

I am not the only one experiencing this issue.  A friend sent me the following screen shots.  (She keeps getting these questions daily).

Kudos0

Hello azdue. I should have posted the instructions for how to post screenshots in the forums earlier. Many apologies, nevertheless here is how. One question comes to mind from your sceenshots. Are there any Windows based machines on your network or randomly being used? 10.0.1.128 is most likely associated with another device attempting to use a file share. Also, although NETBIOSD is generally associated with Windows - shared drive associations, it is also present on MAC. Are there Windows machines on the network? Do you have file and printer sharing enabled on the OS? Do you have port forwarding enabled or a DMZ established on your router? If file/printer sharing is enabled try disabling and restart. See if the messages continue.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.356 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Kudos0

Do you have an NAS or other USB drive devices attached to the computer being affected? Based on this article I believe file sharing is enabled on your MAC. Once again here is how to post screenshots directly into your posts here on the forums. Opening a pdf file is neither safe nor the best way to view screenshots in forums.

Cheers

Kudos0

"Do you have an NAS or other USB drive devices attached to the computer being affected?"

No, none of the above.  Nor is file sharing enabled.  Norton has this issue immediately after installation.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.