• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

DATA PROTECTOR !

FWIW !
​'
DATA PROTECTOR' has turned up, in the 'ANTI VIRUS' sub-menu. Something else to manage ?
SinecoalCirph4. W7 64. NS.

Labels: Windows 7

Replies

Kudos2 Stats

Re: DATA PROTECTOR !

Hi ITMA:

See the support articles FAQs: Norton Data Protector and Configure Data Protector to Block Malicious Processes Affecting Your PC.

I don't have Norton installed on my Win 10 machine, but my understanding is that Norton Data Protector is similar to the Win 10 Controlled Folder Access (CFA) anti-ransomware feature.  CFA is part of the current Windows Defender Advanced Threat Detection (ATP) and I've been told that CFA is automatically disabled along with Windows Defender when Norton is installed on a Win 10 machine, so it appears that Norton Data Protector was added to essentially mimic the CFA feature in Windows Defender by stopping ransomware from encrypting your MS Office documents, music/video files and other personal files.

See the discussion about Norton Data Protector vs CFA in HANDJOJO.TAN's June 2019 thread Norton Security Deluxe in Asia Region No Safe Cam & Data Protection Feature as well as bjm_'s comments about his Norton EAP v22.17.2.47 beta test of Norton Data Protector in the EAP boad at Data Protector Feedback.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

Re: DATA PROTECTOR !

to essentially mimic 

:D CFA - this is not a convenient loud module (many false positives). DP - effective silent protection.