• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos4 Stats

Norton 360 doesn't work with Catalina (macOS 10.15)

Norton 360 is causing my 2019 MacBook Pro to reboot on startup.  When I start the computer, the progress bar hangs at about 60% and slowly creeps to about 90% over the next two minutes, at which point the computer restarts.  Typically, on the second restart, the computer eventually starts.  However, it then takes about a minute or more for Norton 360 to start, during which time I cannot do much of anything.  I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Norton Support -- clueless as how to fix.  They did all the same things that I'd already done -- uninstall and reinstall Norton, etc., while ignoring the log file generated by the boot fail.  The log indicates a panic caused by "watchdog timeout"; a copy is attached.  My guess is some serious reprogramming will be required to get Norton 360 to properly work with Catalina; meanwhile, I guess I'll be looking for other alternatives.

File Attachment: 
Labels: Installation

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton 360 doesn't work with Catalina (macOS 10.15)

Look farther down the forum and you will see two more of us having the same issue but with Norton 8.5.  For the time being, I have simply installed another antivirus program.  I have installed and uninstalled half a dozen times and now they want me to install it again and copy the logs but I'm not comfortable installing it again I'm afraid one of these times it just won't boot back up.  I'll wait for notification of an update for 8.5 before I try again.

Kudos2 Stats

The same here. I have asked for support several times and it is always the same: They uninstall and reinstall the software. They even told me that they had already fixed the issue, which is clearly not true. Why did they lie? I don't understand.
If I contact them again, it will be the same thing:
- They will ask me again for my email and phone number 
- They will use remotely my Mac and uninstall and install the same failed software (Norton 8.5 build 330).
- They will tell me "Yes we have fixed it", which is FALSE.
- They will ignore the fact that I show them other people complaining on the forum about the same issue. They will behave evasive and will not respond anything about that.
- The next time I boot the Mac, probably it will boot correctly. But then the next time it will not, it will have to boot twice and it will show me a failure report. 

I would respect them if they told me "YES, our software does not work well with Mac OS 10.15/Catalina and we are aware of that. We will fix it ASAP and we will let you know (by email) when it is done. We will not ask you to uninstall and reinstall it again because that does not make sense, and we will not lie to you telling you that we just fixed it if that is not true. We apologize for these issue."

Kudos3 Stats

I am having the same problem. Norton 360 is not working with Catalina OS.

Please fix this, Norton.....otherwise more people will just uninstall Norton.

Kudos0

Kudos0

Norton Security Premium - problems too Macbook Air 2017
apologies but I can find no information.  After updating to Catalina my Safari browser refused to load anything. Strangely Firefox was fine. I found a page that said to completely remove norton with a download from Norton. Then reinstall etc etc. Tried that, got rid of all trace of Norton ( according to the program I downloaded) , then downloaded installer (several times) each time it tries to install I get unable to download support files . It then fails install telling me to contact support. My point is this is not restricted to 360 alone.

Any suggestions ? can't bother with support after having read the other comments.

Kudos0

I was supposed to get a call back from Norton Level 2 support after my initial conversation with what I assume was Level 1 support.  Three days and no call back.  Why can't Norton just admit that there's a problem that they've known about for months and haven't been able to fix?  Meanwhile, I've downloaded a 30 day trial of Sophos Home -- it seems to be working fine.

Kudos1 Stats

I am having the same problem with my 2018 MacBook Pro: if I reboot, it takes a couple of minutes, then the fans race for a second, and immediately reboots. I uninstalled Norton 360, used the RemoveSymantecMacFiles utility, and reinstalled fresh several times now and still no luck. Once booted up, Norton 360 cannot perform scans, just hangs at 0 files scanned.

Kudos0

Has this problem been solved yet for you?

Kudos2 Stats

I finally heard back from Level 2 support. They took some logs from both Norton and the macOS and are forwarding them to their development team. I guess now all we can do is wait.
Kudos2 Stats

Mac Book Pro 2017 with Catalina 10.5 and Parallel + Windows 10.

Constant problems when I install Norton 360 on both sides Mac and Windows 10.

If I uninstall Norton 360 on the Mac side, everything works fine. 

Please fix this ASAP! 

Kudos2 Stats

Having the same issue here - after just purchasing Norton.  Been a Mac user since 2003 and this is the first time I've ever had a anti-virus program not work with the OS.  Very disappointing.  Was working fine with Mohave - I chose Norton because I thought this WOULDN'T be an issue.  Very frustrating.  

Kudos2 Stats

Hi Guys,

I was having the same problem after upgrading to Catalina.

But FINALLY solved my "installed but unresponsive Norton Security Premium" issue after dealing with the 1st, 2nd and then 3rd line support technician at Norton (trust me it took good 4 hours to solve it). According to them, they are still working on releasing the Catalina compatible versions of Norton Security/360.

These are the following 2 solutions:

OPTION 1:  (you have to be an ADMIN of your account)

As we know that Norton has added the UNINSTALL function within the Norton menu, so like in my case if the Norton product is not starting then you cannot even uninstall and reinstall a fresh copy.

1. Delete the Norton Security/360 app from the Application folder, as soon as you delete it the Norton uninstaller should start automatically to help you uninstall it.

--- IF the uninstaller uninstall the Norton product successfully then happy days, download a fresh copy of your Norton product and install it as normal.

--- IF the uninstaller doesn't start then follow the steps below:

2. (by doing this you will lose all of your installed Norton settings) Download, save, and extract on desktop the attached Norton uninstaller (provided by Norton 3rd line support)

3. Open terminal (LaunchPad > Other > Terminal)

4. Drop the extracted "RemoveSymantecMacFiles.command" in the Terminal, press ENTER

5. Terminal will show a KEY icon, enter your admin password (whilst typing you wouldn't be able to see your password, so make sure to type it correctly) and then press ENTER, it will take few seconds to run lots of command and remove everything related to Norton or Symantec from your machine.

6. Restart your machine, once back, download a fresh copy and install it, MAKE SURE to keep the installer active all the time during install (do not navigate away from the installer)

7. The installer will ask you to restart the machine after the 2nd step, so after the restart it can finish the 3rd/last step of CATALINA's permissions. PRESS RESTART

8. Once back, the installer will start again and start telling you to allow the permissions in the "Security & Privacy", I have ATTACHED 2 screenshots of what the permissions should looks like, in other words allow everything for Norton.

Once done, everything should now be working as it should be.

OPTION 2: If option 1 did not work then try this:

1. Create a new "Admin" user on your machine (System Preferences > Users & Groups) (User creation screenshot attached) (Keep everything as "test") (full name = test, Account name = test, Password = test, Verify = test) (you will delete this TEST user after sorting the Norton issue shortly)

2. LOGOUT from your main account, and log into the newly created ADMIN account TEST

3. Try to follow Option 1 above from this point forward

After following and hopefully successfully finished Option 1 , logout from the TEST account and log back into your main account, Norton should be working now. Now you can delete that TEST account, as you don't need that anymore.

I hope that I have explained it easy enough for you guys, and you hopefully you would soon be out of this misery.

I will be watching this post for at-least another couple of months, so if anyone gets stuck then just ask. I will try my best to help

BTW, the Norton support team was AMAZING, specially NATHAN (from Chennai) who helped me with his full dedication and honesty.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Hello all - just noticed that Norton 360 updated today, rebooted my Mac and all seems to be working well now.  Hopefully this fixes it!!

Kudos0

Based on a comment above, I re-downloaded and re-installed Norton 360 on my 2019 MacBook Pro running Catalina.  The issues reported have not been fixed.  As before, the computer stalls for about two minutes on the login screen, then restarts, and only then will it complete what should be the "normal" boot process.  This has been a known problem for nearly a month and still nothing from Norton.  Not a very good way to build customer loyalty.

Kudos0

I have had the same problem once I updated to Catalina...  have spent multiple hours/days with Norton reps - including level 2 techs.  They have no clue how to resolve the issue and blame apple for it.  I have removed the application using Norton Uninstall app, as well as third party utilities ensuring that there are no traces of norton files in the system, and reloaded the app allowing full access to Norton, to no avail.  The level 2 tech installed the app on my mac using a new user, same problem.  I have decided to remove the app completely. I am no longer going to allow my brand new mac to crash every time I start it up.   If Norton does not resolve this issue by my subscription renewal time, I am looking for other alternatives!

Kudos0

None of the support agents I spoke to yesterday and today ever suggested there was a problem with Norton 360 and Catalina!!! I am an existing Norton 360 subscriber. Ever since I upgraded to Catalina I have been having unscheduled restart and system crash problems. When I found that an App store update to Norton Safe Web plus was failing to update and then reporting that the NSW+ has been removed from the App store by the developer. Norton support tried to tell me it was a server issue. Four times they have tried to uninstall NSW+ to reinstall it and every time it causes the computer to restart "because of a problem". They say they will escalate the issue and get back to me in 3-4 days.

Kudos0

I have been having problems with system crashes on my 2018 Touch Bar MacBook Pro during boot up following an upgrade to Catalina.  I normally perform a full shutdown of this system when it is not in use, and use a smaller and older MacBook Air when I am at work.  Interestingly, my install of Norton 360 on the MacBook Air running Catalina haven't caused me any problems.

The symptoms that I have experienced are that during power-up, the system hangs at about 80~90% of the startup, crashes, and then restarts.  When I log back into my Mac after the crash, the Norton app appears slow to start up.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Norton 360.  Immediately after the reinstall and reactivation, my system appears to reboot normally over several reboots.  What I have noticed is that if I sleep my system (close the lid) and then try to restart, the system begins to hang-up during reboot again in the very same way.  It appears that sleeping my MacBook does something to  disrupt the Norton 360 installation.

This circumstance is very frustrating and unacceptable.  The features of Catalina have been well-known for quite some time and Apple's intentions to move toward a solely 64 bit operating system were stated over ten years ago.  I am presently looking for alternatives to Norton/Symantec products for my household computers and plan to cancel my subscription if this situation isn't cleared up ASAP!

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

I spent the better part of 2.5 hours this afternoon with a Level II support agent, trying to figure out why my 2018 MacBook Pro crashes during reboots with Mac OS Catalina.  The best that Symantec's support agent (in India call center) could do (after multiple uninstall/reinstall cycles) was copy some log files, admit that I was not the only user complaining about this issue, and tell me that they would call back in a few days.  I can't idle my work for 'a few days' waiting for these clowns to figure out something that should have been worked out months ago.  This response is unacceptable!  Too little and too late.

As I pointed out in my prior post, OS X Catalina should not have been a surprise to any company selling software for the Macintosh; least of all Symantec/Norton.  After approximately 25 years of buying their products for Windows and Mac, I am parting ways with Symantec permanently and going with one of their major competitors.  I will be seeking a cancellation of my subscription and refund.

Kudos0

Hi I just had this issue resolved by a Technician Manas Mohantry from Norton support via Chat support he was amazing I can testify that I never would of been able to do what he did. So if you are still having issues ask to speak to this guy. I now have Norton 360 Premium installed and working on my iMac which has the OS Catalina system. When I spoke to Apple this morning the guy said Catalina is a 64 bit operating system and was only released in the last few weeks and the earlier Mac systems like Mojave are 32 bit so a lot of software that hasn't been updated for the Catalina System struggle to work if at all, I don't really understand any of this so I contacted Norton and Manas was the man. Hope this helps.

Kudos0

I'm glad that Norton was able to resolve this issue for you.  Now that it appears that Norton has finally figured out how to resolve this issue - crashes on MacPro with Catalina 10.15.1 OS and Norton 360 - I suggest to Norton that they work with Apple to send an update to resolve this issue as opposed to several of us (hundreds, thousands perhaps) to call Norton customer support and specifically request to have Manas personally resolve this issue for each one of us.  Can anyone imagine how many hours of waiting time it will take to get in touch with Manas?  As mentioned before, if Norton does not resolve this issue by the time my subscription expires (49 days remaining) I will be removing Norton on all my devices and will look for other Antivirus and Web protection options.  MacAfee does not look too bad...  On a side note, Norton, it sounds like Mr. Manas deserves a pay rise.

Kudos0

After hours of futile faffing about with Norton support several days ago because a "necessary" update to Norton Safe Web Plus had been withdrawn from the Apple App Store and being unable to do the update, I noticed yesterday the red number on App Store in the dock had disappeared signifying that the update was it seemed, no longer necessary. Then today it re-appeared signifying that the same Norton update 1.1.166 was available. There was no instruction to the fact that it was necessary to deactivate the Norton extensions in Safari in order to quit the existing version of the Norton Safe Web Plus app before it would update. I guessed I had to do that. I re-activated the extensions and restarted the Mac and all had updated and is working fine in Catalina. No crashes either so far! What grieves me is that the higher echelons of Norton obviously knew about the problem but had not bothered to brief their support staff about the fact they were working on it, resulting in many hours of wasted time and effort!

Kudos0

Hi @atldmc,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. We have released Norton Security 8.5.2 update via LiveUpdates. Can you please update Norton Security to latest version let us know if you still facing issue "the computer stalls for about two minutes on the login screen, then restarts, and only then will it complete what should be the "normal" boot process" ? Thanks

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

@Steven Burrows

Can you please update Norton Security to 8.5.2 latest version by running LiveUpdates and let us know the current issue status? Thanks

Kudos0

Hi @TheOz,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have shared your feedback with concern team. Can you please update Norton Security to version 8.5.2 latest version and let us know the current issue status? Thanks. 

Kudos0

To the Norton Team,

Thank you for the reply.  Has this new version of Norton (8.5.2) proofed to have resolved this issue?  From your notes above, "please let us know if you are still experiencing issues or the current issue status" does not sound very promising.  What one would like to hear is that Norton understands what is causing the incompatibility with Catalina OS and has figured out a permanent fix.  I am not going through the trouble of installing this new version just to find out it did not resolve it.  Need reassurance this version will indeed fix it!  Also, I request Norton provide all of us a discount coupon, for months of inconvenience. 48 days remaining and counting...  as said, McAfee is starting to look promising.

Kudos0

BTW, term or process is called, software assurance!

Kudos2 Stats

I spent the last 45 minutes downloading, installing, updating and testing Norton 360 version 8.5.2.  The problem that was originally reported by me 36 days ago remains.  The computer stalls on boot for approximately 2 minutes, then spontaneously restarts, and only then can I get to a functioning desktop.  When Norton is removed, this problem goes away.

PLEASE DO NOT WASTE MY TIME OR THAT OF OTHERS.  EITHER FIX THE PROBLEM OR ADMIT YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE AND PROVIDE A REFUND TO THOSE WHO ASK FOR IT.

Kudos0

I have installed Norton Deluxe in my MACBOOK pro 2014 and since I couldn't  coplete successfylly the Norton Safe Web update  (an add for Safari)  I had to uninstalled NORTON completely from my machine.

I tried several times to reinstall the program, every time the procedure asked me to give full access in security area (which I did) but it appears an error message that inform me that Norton has not completed the installation procedure.

Any help from Norton team?

Kudos0

I have a brand new Macbook Air and it does not work with Catalina after doing the update. It still crashes frequently, has a boot problem, and the VPN is very hit or miss.  The VPN is also hit or miss on another machine running High Sierra.

Kudos0

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro and have had issues installing Norton 360 Deluxe.  In numerous times I tried to uninstall Norton and came up with the same error after each Restart when I thought the installation  has been a success.  Each reboot/restart came up with a "kernel extension" error.

I had to uninstall Norton prior to procedure below:

Enable a "root" user/administrator in your Login options in Systems Preference.

Logout in your primary account and use "root" as the username and whatever password you have assigned.

Download the Norton install package from the website and run it as per normal.  

Once the installation has been completed, under "root" the install does not perform a restart.  The software package looks like it is running as per normal. Hence, logout as "root" and login into your primary account to complete the software install.

Norton will go through the final stages of the install in your primary account  where it will go prompt you to "Restart".

Hit that "Restart" key and login as per usual and hopefully, Norton 360 will run minus any errors.

I have two more MacBook pros to install...

Kudos0

I also have the same problem. My subscription ended November 27, so I bought Norton 360 and now my 2017 Mac keeps restarting by itself and saying that there was a problem. I kept getting kernel panic reports and a high CPU, and everything seems to be pointing to Norton being the problem. I thought that uninstalling it and reinstalling once again would work but the "Allow" button won't show in security & privacy, this is my 4th time going through the setup process only to end up in vain... I am not sure what is going on, the previous Norton subscription I had worked fine. 

Kudos0

Hi Zero20,

Please try my procedure where you will be using the "System Administrator" or "Root" account which is a superuser above your current "admin" rights standard account.  Catalina has extra layers of protection.  Root will allow the kernel extension in Norton to function properly.

See attachment for a guideline to enable "Root" account.  Photos shows "Disable Root User" as my MAC already has root enabled.

You will need to login as "root" and "password".  Install Norton 360 and complete setup as a "root" user.  Activate Norton as "root" user.  Reboot after.  This will complete Norton 360 setup.

Once completed, login as per your normal user account.  

I have successfully installed 3 licenses in Mac OS Catalina.  I believe this is the solution brought to you from someone in the "Land down under"!

There's always a way to make things work!  Let me know if it works for you!  

Kudos0

If I had any hair I would be pulling it out with frustration.  I have an iMac (2013) which was working perfectly until I upgraded to Catalina.  I wish I had looked at this forum first.  I believe all my problems are with Norton Safe Web Plus, without which my password manager no longer works.  I have deleted and re-installed all Norton programs many times.  I very rarely had the spinning coloured wheel before but have it now and have to reboot my computer many times a day.  Now I cannot even install NSWP as it hang.  After about 20 years using Norton products with total satisfaction I will now have to change my security software.  I doubt I will get a refund from Norton, but it would be nice.

Kudos0

It doesn't tell you, but to update Norton Safe Web Plus you have to uncheck the browser Norton extensions in it's preferences and quit NSW+ before installing the update and re-checking the extensions. Password Manager is, at best, superfluous on a Mac anyway so I leave that switched off.

Kudos0

Hi DavidKent781,

Sorry that you had to go through this experience. We had released an update over the weekend for Norton Safe Web Plus, that would address the "spinning coloured wheel" issue. I would like to request you to try this update, and let us know how this goes.

Kudos0

I tried it the same way as Maarij Huss mentioned. I think it is almost the same thing that you did, but thank you for replying and adding the screenshots, they were helpful. Norton finally installed properly and it seems to be working fine so far. Now I'll just run my mac as I did before and see if it restarts randomly or if I still get any kernel panics and a high CPU.  

Also, my mac worked fine today and yesterday after I uninstalled Norton 360, there were no random restarts even after having many tabs open in safari and having Microsoft word running in the back. I have been using it all day since I had to study and nothing happened.

So, if it restarts randomly after doing all these steps, I guess I'll have no choice but to uninstall and not use it on my mac. My dad's HP desktop seems to be working fine though so at least he has no problems...

Kudos0

Ok so the installation problem was fixed but now the kernel problem is back... 

Diagnostics Information (past 7 days):

2019-12-04 13:29:05 Kernel Panic (4 times)

Details:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff801aa62e0a): Kernel trap at 0xffffff80427b8

180, type 14=page fault, registers:

3rd party kernel extensions: 

com.symantec.SymXIPS

com.symantec.internetSecurity.kext

com.symantec.ips.kext

com.symantec.nfm.kext

2019-12-04 12:28:10 Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.app - Crash

Executable: /Applications/Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.app

2019-12-03 18:37:53 QuickLookSatellite - Crash

Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/QuickLookSatellite.xpc/Contents/MacOS/QuickLookSatellite

Details: 

dyld3 mode

qlmanage --diag 6571367.4323118874

last generator in main thread: com.apple.qlgenerator.office

last threaded generator: com.apple.qlgenerator.pdf

API MISUSE: Resurrection of an object

2019-12-02 18:39:54 addRights - Crash (3 times)

Executable: /Library/Application Support/Symantec/*/addRights

Details: 

dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

2019-12-02 13:28:05 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent - High CPU Use (2 times)

Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.WebKit.WebContent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

Kudos0

The other method you used to install Norton is the same user privileges as a standard user with "admin rights".

With "root" or "Systems Administration" account, this is a hidden superuser name under Mac OS.  You do not need to create an account name.  Root/Systems Administrator > Standard User with standard admin rights.

Mac OS Catalina has an extra security layer.

Kudos0

I've had this issue as well.  I have a 2-week old Macbook Pro running Catalina 10.15.1 and the restart issue started as soon as I moved everything from my 2013 MacBook pro to my new one.  Power up, Mac boots and asks for password, begins to load, gets 90% loaded after 2.25 minutes crashes, restarts and asks for password then loads as normal.  After dealing with Apple for a week about this issue and after having to do a complete HD erasure and MacOS reinstall I discovered Norton was the restart culprit.  After waiting for 30 minutes in the queue with Norton customer support (the wait was horrible. I kept getting the message that expected wait was 0 hours, 1 minute and would I be interested in LifeLock) the customer support rep told me that they (Norton) hadn't heard of the restart issue.  That was 4 days ago. He tried to take control to do an uninstall but chat room timed us out and we got disconnected. I uninstalled Norton myself and the issue went away. I re-downloaded and reinstalled Norton the restart issue returned.  I uninstalled again (2 days ago) and the issue has cleared up.  Does anyone have recommendations for an alternate app that does everything that Norton does?  I've used Norton since I bought my first Mac but after this debacle, I won't be renewing in 6 months when it comes due.  

Kudos0

I spent 6 hours working with customer support on this issue this morning.  After the first 3 hours, I was assured by the technician the problem was resolved and would not return.  I restarted 20 minutes later and discovered the problem remained.  Spent 3 more hours with different tech, same issue, same trouble ticket  The final result.  The problem is being elevated to Level 2 support. Before signing off I was offered an upsell of extending my service by 92 days.  How about you fix the issue before trying to get more of my money. 

I now have work 2.5 days with a computer that takes 4-5 minutes to start-up.  

Kudos1 Stats

Folks, it appears from the trail of this post, that Norton has no clue how to fix this problem...  I have gone through level 2 techs whom, against my wishes, have taken control of my computer (Because apparently they know better...)  Uninstalled Norton, reinstall it and allowed all access to the computer.  This has been done several times.  It still does not work.  They even uninstalled/installed it using a new user, removing my id from the process to see if it would clear it - NOT!  As said, they are guessing at this point.  I removed Norton from my device - not taking any chances. I have been a Norton customer for years - both at work and personal accounts.  However, as said before, if Norton does not find a permanent, tested fix my the time of my renewal - I'm out and removing it from my other two devices.  I can not believe they are still fully around with this!!  If they cannot fix this, can we trust our devices to them?  Think about it...  

Kudos0

Mac OS Catalina will have compatibility issues due to its transitioning to 64 bits.  VUZE will not install in Catalina.  However, there is a way around installing VUZE. Samsung SSD drivers also failed - however, Samsung has released a new software version to work with Mac OS.  Programs requiring Full Disk Access in Mac OS Catalina may not work unless installation is done as Systems Administrator.  

Kudos1 Stats

Another solution would be to do a clean install with OS X 10.13 High Sierra.  

I have used Norton/Symantec on Macs off and on since the late 90's.  The current incarnation is more than disappointing . . . and I'm not renewing my subscription.  The interface is confusing and clunky, all solutions to challenges that I've looked up on their site describe icons and procedures that are not found on the Mac version - useless and frustrating.  I just hung up after being on hold for 1 hour and 18 minutes, waiting for a Mac Support person to tell me how to entirely delete my password "Vault" in the Norton Vault cloud.  Now I'm here searching for a solution, because again, all of the procedures and video on the Norton site do not apply to Mac version. 

I've worked with PCs and Macs, installing and running audio and video recording software, for over 20 years.  If I can't figure this out and get this frustrated, my goodness, I don't know what the average home user is going through!

p.s. I'm going with Bit Defender. All Norton apps and extensions have already been uninstalled; erasing my data from the Norton cloud is the final step (to freedom, lol).

Kudos0

After dealing with this problem for over a week and after reading the posts here I went ahead and switched to McAfee. Even though I have 6 months left until renewal I don't get a good feeling that Norton will solve this issue in a reasonable time frame.  The good news is that McAfee is running on both my Mac and iPhone no issues.  Best of luck everyone, hope you find a solution that works for you or Norton gets their act together before something unrecoverable happens to your computer.

Kudos0

As of 8 Dec this issue still wasn't fixed.