• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Antispyware

Other people have brought this problem to the forum but I can see no answer.

For a few months, on the bottom right hand part of the screen a message that I have turned off "Antispyware" keeps appearing.

There isn't an Antispyware as such and all ticks are there for the various protections. I have ignored it for months but it doesn't go away. Any ideas? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Antispyware

Hello Bernie. A little bit of info from you would help. 

Please tell us:

What your OS is and version

What your current Norton product is and version - Here is how to get that info

Also if you need to post a screenshot for review here is how

A screenshot of the notification would allow us to see whether this is from Windows. Norton or another product installed on your system. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1909 / build 18363.535 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.9.63 / Norton Core v.288 on Android 2.22 / Opera GX
Kudos0

I use Windows 7 and the Norton is the basic one I have used for many years. I don't know how to do a screenshot and the message box only stays for a short time, but looks real.. If you look at the other entries on here for the same problem you will see all kinds of suggestions but no answers and Antispyware is not a real subsection of Norton that I can see. 

Kudos0

Use the built in Snipping Tool in Windows 7 to get a screenshot. How to post into your posts link is in my previous post for you to use. Previously we asked for some info which would help us to help you more quickly:

What your current Norton product is and version - Here is how to get that info

Post a screenshot for review here is how

IF you suspect malware being present please download, install and run the FREE version of Malwarebytes to see whether it finds anything needing attention and it will prompt you to remove what it finds.

Cheers 

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1909 / build 18363.535 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.9.63 / Norton Core v.288 on Android 2.22 / Opera GX
Kudos0

If you do not have time to open the Snipping Tool, you can just tap on the PrtSc (print screen) key at the top of your keyboard. Then you can paste that into Windows Paint and crop just the message for posting with the instructions in Soul Asylum's posts above. Save the cropped image as a .jpg file.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

The message only appears now and then. It says something like "you have turned off Antispyware and are at risk"It hasn't appeared since I raised the topic. Assuming I got a screenshot and it looks genuine - what then?

If you look on the forum other people have had the same problem but I can't see anyone solving it.  

Kudos0

I have the same problem on W8.1/64 and NIS 22.19.9.63. I will try catch the picture.

Kudos0

Here is the picture. The message appeared just after applying Norton patch.

(BTW the way how to insert picture here is really terrible.)

Kudos0

Thanks for the screenshot and update. Unfortunately the posting screenshots instructions are what is present to link to. Maybe myself or another Guru/Admin can come up with a better writeup in that area. Thanks for the candor. 

Kudos1 Stats

Here is the picture. The message appeared just after applying Norton patch.

Um, hows your network connection?
Please run Norton LiveUpdate a few times + Restart (not Shut down) machine.  Repeat.

Kudos0

Thanks for the picture Bolean - I would have struggled to do that. My internet connection is good and I run an update almost every day as well as a quick scan. 

Now you have seen it - is this a Norton message or something else? 

Kudos0

bernieyorks:

Now you have seen it - is this a Norton message or something else? 

Yes, from this distance pic appears to be Norton message. 
As to who what when where why n' how.  IDK
I've seen similar message, as I recall (long time back) before Norton "LifeLock". 

Kudos0

All: Wondering if setting the boot time scan to "agressive" will change the Windows / Norton status of thinking a module isn't loading at boot time. Checking Windows action center for any messages there as well? What does Norton history have to tell about what it it possibly detecting or missing?

Cheers

Kudos0

Antispyware isn't a phrase used by Norton now or perhaps ever- so what does turning it off mean? I suspected when I raised this topic we would be no further forward at the end than others have been in the past. 

How do we get in touch with people who write the software ? They must have some ideas? Do they even know this happening?  

For the past 18 months or so I've just ignored the problem.  

Kudos0

/What does your action center say if anything regarding system security? Does your Norton history provide anything that would reflect what the shutdown cause may be? Did you install Malwarebytes as suggested earlier to check for malware that Norton may be missing? That would be a great place to start. If nothing is found perform a REMOVE ONLY scenario using this Norton guide. When removed reboot, download your product from your Norton account after login. Make sure you run live updates manually until no more update are available, reboot whether asked to or not. Re-run live update again to get the product patches and reboot. Lets see whether this persists.

Cheers

Kudos0

Years ago I had Malwarebytes and when Norton did a remote assistance they deleted it saying it clashed with Norton. I have no idea what "a remove only scenario is"' 

Please read the other threads about this problem. Loads of things were suggested NOT ONE did any good. 

I repeat - why is this popup item called Antispyware? Norton don't use that term as a category or at least don't currently.  

That should be the starting point AND how do we get in contact with the people who write the software and may understand this? Is it a piece of software left over from previous versions not fully deleted?   

Kudos1 Stats

bernieyorks:

Other people have brought this problem to the forum but I can see no answer.

Hi bernieyorks:

The solution posted in David E. LaClair Jr's May 2019 thread Antispyware Not Fixed was to run the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool to refresh their Norton installation.

I have no idea what "a remove only scenario is"'

I think SoulAsylum was suggesting that you run the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode (Advanced Options | Remove Only | Remove) - see the section titled "I Need Help Removing Norton" in the instructions at https://www.norton.com/nrnr.  "Remove Only" mode does a better job of cleaning up orphaned files and registry entities when Norton is uninstalled compared to the normal "Remove & Reinstall" mode which automatically reinstalls Norton for you .  I always use the NRnR tool in "Remove Only" mode if my Norton installation is behaving oddly and then reinstall Norton myself (e.g., by downloading the installer from my Norton Account at https://my.norton.com/).

I repeat - why is this popup item called Antispyware? Norton don't use that term as a category or at least don't currently.  

According to yank's 2015 comment <here> older Norton products used to have a separate setting for enabling Antispyware, so the use of the word "Antispyware" in your pop-up might just be an outdated term that still hasn't been revised by the software programmers. For example, my 2016 error message shown <here> still used the phrase "Antivirus and Spyware Definitions" to describe the new SDS (virus) Definitions.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22

Kudos0

I don't pretend to understand a lot of what people have written here. But my analysis is that bits of machine code, or whatever programmers use, has not been deleted when new software has been written and what we have here is a sort of fossil that keeps reappearing.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter as this PC runs on Windows 7 and will soon replaced by an identical model that has Windows 10. Any failure of components will be made good from this PC and hopefully it will run for many years. Both are at least ten years old but work fine.

Norton on the new PC has just been downloaded and I do not expect the same problem to arise again.

Thanks for all your contributions.