• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Previously-accepted Ghost 15 key rejected on new computer

Commissioning a new Windows 10 laptop. Diehard Ghost user! It installed fine, and is working fine, but only in trial version -- previously-fine key now rejected -- "Cannot activate this product using license key. xx-xxxx... The license key is not valid. Please enter the correct license key." This key works fine on the Windows 7 computer this one is replacing. I looked at using the backup portion of Norton 360, but see no way to replicate the functions provided by Ghost. HELP!

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Previously-accepted Ghost 15 key rejected on new computer

Ghost was never designed or updated to work with Windows 10. And it has been EOL since April of 2013.  See this Norton announcement.    https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-ghost-has-been-discontinued

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

There are posts on this forum telling a workaround. I would not trust my data to a program that hasn't been updated in 10 years though.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/how-activate-ghost-15-windows-81-...

Kudos0

As many before have told you: "You Da Man!" Followed the procedure described in the referred-to post and key accepted! Granted, it's an old program, but, gee . . . it does exactly as I wanted, and, even though 15 years old, has yet to let me down! Having little likelihood of being able to continue using it, just the other day I bought two copies of backup4all. They were having a "70%-off sale," so I figured risking $30 wasn't too much to risk -- I hadn't yet confirmed their program could replicate to functionality of Ghost. It apparently can, though requires much more work (individually create a full backup job, intervening incremental jobs, and a manual cleanup to limit the number of sets retained -- all of which can be done in one step in Ghost). Anyway, bottom line: thanks!