This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

question on using this with comcast

i use comcast xfinity cable and they tell me i can get norton antivirus  for free as long as i have comcast. my question is this,  what norton system does the comcast user get, and just how good is it for the comcast users? is it worth getting? i now use avast free and ccleaner free and malwarebytes free as the win10 forum guys told me a few years ago that was better. but i'm thinking these are starting to slow down my system and maybe getting just one program would be better. so as long as comcast provides security for free i might as well sue it. but is the system that comcast gives us for free really worth getting. thanks

Replies

Kudos0

Re: question on using this with comcast

See the instructions in ComcastJessie's NEW: Norton Security Online and How To Get It? that's currently pinned at the top of the Anti-Virus Software & Internet Security board of the Comcast / Xfinity forum.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8268381#comment-8268381 

Kudos0

All: One thing to note is that the Comcast version initial install will be a very old version of Norton which will require several live update sessions and patch installs with reboots to bring to the current version. In the case of corvairbob my recommendation is removing ALL the other malware software on his system PRIOR to installation of Norton to prevent conflicts. More than one A/V solution (AVG) will cause conflicts and system degradation.  He can reinstall MBAM after Norton is completely installed which should be sufficient protection along side Norton.

Cheers

MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials - Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 21H1 / build 19043.1320 / Linux Mint Tina 19.3 LTS / Norton 360 Deluxe ver. 22.21.9.25 / Opera GX LVL3 (core: 80.0.4170.61) 64 bit-Early Access w/Norton Chrome Extensions
Kudos0

thanks. tell me this if you can if i was to visit the dark web would this then protect me for issues? on the dark web? also what is that mbam?

again thanks

Kudos0

if i was to visit the dark web would this then protect me for issues? on the dark web?

Norton Dark Web Monitoring* powered by LifeLock
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v127344370

Note: IDK first hand what features are with Comcast Norton Security Online.

@yank

also what is that mbam?

Malwarebytes

Kudos0

thanks i do not want to go to that so called dark web but wanted to see what reply's would happen if i sadi that. thanks i may give norton's program a try.

Kudos1 Stats

@corvairbob,

Norton Security Online (NSO) is the name of the product offered for free by Comcast.  It is a "clone" of the retail Norton Security Deluxe product, which is being suggested on the Norton product lineup as being replaced by Norton 360 Deluxe.

The NSO in it's current configuration, does not provide any online backup. 

VPN, Safe Cam and Dark Web Monitoring are not included in NSO, nor were they included the retail version of Norton Security Deluxe.

As SoulAsylum mentioned, the current download of NSO from Comcast is an older version, which is updatable to the current version (22.19.9.63) of NSO - but still short of the additions that Norton 360 Deluxe adds.

I have asked the question to the admins of the Norton Forum and am awaiting a definite answer, but if past practices continue, the Comcast NSO should be upgraded to a clone of Norton 360 Deluxe in the future.  No time frame is ever given out by Norton, so us users just have to be patient in waiting for the added features of Norton 360 to appear in the Comcast version.

As bjm mentioned, there is a link on the Comcast Forums that explains how to get the free current NSO version:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/NEW-...

BTW - I had a girlfriend back in 1964 who drove a corvair. LOL

Kudos0

thanks yank.  how did you like that corvair? must not have like the girl or i think you may have said my wife drove a corvair back in 64.  i drove one back in that time 63 or 64 maybe even 65. anyway i got my present one back in 95 

but back to the topic do you think this nso from norton would be better than having avast, malwarebytes,bitdefender, ccleaner, spybot all running now on my system? on the win10 forums they think running all these free programs are better than running just one regular av program. and if comcast is telling me i can run this for free can i feel safe online and banking. etc.

i have no desire to surf the dark web but i asked as a point of interest if someone had this nso program and would feel safe going on the darkweb. it sounds like in order to try that i would need more programs to be safe. not interested there, but i do want to be safe for hackers and scammers sending malware of any kind thru email and such. bowser attackers and such. so the win10 forums say with all these program i have i'm safe. so far that has proved ok but maybe having just one program to manage will be lots easier. thanks

Kudos0

ok i just installed norton security thru comcast. it did a lot of stuff and restarted. now i have to learn the password manager for one. avast had that an i did not like it but maybe nortons is better. now i will run a scan and see if norton finds anything avast passed by. so far it did not find anything. now to see how much better my system runs. if it gives me fits i will go back.  now to lear the password manager. i may have to turn that off and let google manage them as before.

Kudos0

now this is what i'm seeing  i installed norton that comcast gives me and set it up but it did not remove avast or adaware or ccleaner or spybot. so do i need to now go in and remove these? and if so what ones should i remove and what ones should i leave? any ideas here? avast is still on my pc but when i try to run it it will not start so norton somehow disabled it but in msconfig i see it is still there as a startup program.

so can anyone that has comcast's version of the norton av tell me what other program to leave or remove. this what i had
avast may be disabled but still there in msconfig running
avast secure browser stopped
ccleaner spybot stopped
malwarebytes service running
bitlocker stopped
norton wsc service running
windows defender firewall running
spybot search and destroy 2 scanner services running
spybot search and destroy 2 updating service running
spybot s/d 2 security services running
so what to leave checked and what to uncheck? thanks

norton security running

Kudos0

ok so now this is what i have. i got norton av running and ccleaner plus adware av all running. also some said to install on the chrome browser the emsirsoft browser security and the trafficlight extension as they replace bitdefender and spybot. so is tis good or do i need to still make changes or alterations.  i use comcast for my internet provider and they told me i can use norton av for free as it is part of being a comcast customer. thanks for any help

Kudos0

corvairbob:

thanks yank.  how did you like that corvair? must not have like the girl or i think you may have said my wife drove a corvair back in 64.  i drove one back in that time 63 or 64 maybe even 65. anyway i got my present one back in 95 

(I never did like the Corvair, but the girl's father was a Chevy dealer and I have always been partial to VW Bugs - however it was a free ride whenever he brought one home from the dealer.)  

but back to the topic do you think this nso from norton would be better than having avast (YES- Norton better), malwarebytes (Free to be used as an  on demand scanner),bitdefender (YES, Norton better), ccleaner (Read this article almost a year ago :https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/ ), spybot (Old and not recommended anymore)all running now on my system? on the win10 forums they think running all these free programs are better than running just one regular av program. and if comcast is telling me i can run this for free can i feel safe online and banking. etc. (I have been using Comcast's free offering of Norton going through numerous changes and updates to products since 2011 and have not experienced any situations.)

i have no desire to surf the dark web but i asked as a point of interest if someone had this nso program and would feel safe going on the darkweb. it sounds like in order to try that i would need more programs to be safe. not interested there, but i do want to be safe for hackers and scammers sending malware of any kind thru email and such. bowser attackers and such. so the win10 forums say with all these program i have i'm safe. so far that has proved ok but maybe having just one program to manage will be lots easier. thanks

More to come! 

Kudos0

thanks yank  to bad you didn't like the corvair they are good cars and contrary to belief i have only heard of 2 that flipped over and they were doing lots wrong. you see more suv's and truck on there side now days than cars. to top heavy. anyway.

ok i have norton and a few extensions that were suggested by other on this site. and today it did a good job of protecting me. i got an email for my former boss for where i retired form and i got the red flag so i replied to that email as it looked just like my boss's email and it again mae back to me and when i went to the site he said to go i got the red flag again so i kept going and thru 4 steps i got the warning. kind of like warning will robinson warning danger danger. and it would not me go futher so i can't say the other system would have let me go but this one did stop me. and then i got an email form that companies it people telling me that the email form my boss was a phishing scam. so it is doing it's job just fine. thanks

Kudos0

corvairbob:

now this is what i'm seeing  i installed norton that comcast gives me and set it up but it did not remove avast or adaware or ccleaner or spybot. so do i need to now go in and remove these? and if so what ones should i remove and what ones should i leave? any ideas here? avast is still on my pc  (Can be removed using AVASTClear:  https://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility)  but when i try to run it it will not start so norton somehow disabled it but in msconfig i see it is still there as a startup program.

so can anyone that has comcast's version of the norton av tell me what other program to leave or remove. this what i had
avast may be disabled but still there in msconfig running (See removal Tool above)
avast secure browser stopped
ccleaner spybot stopped  (Commented on before)
malwarebytes service running (Should be if MBAM is installed)
bitlocker stopped (Not sure - not running on my WIN 10 install)
norton wsc service running (This is part of "Norton's Windows Security Service and is needed for Norton to run)
windows defender firewall running (Normal in WIN 10)
spybot search and destroy 2 scanner services running 
spybot search and destroy 2 updating service running
spybot s/d 2 security services running
so what to leave checked and what to uncheck? thanks

norton security running

Adaware can be removed using the following:   

ADW Cleaner
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Hopefully this will assist you.

<EDIT>

FWIW - I am running Comcast's NSO on WIN 7 and have no other Anti-virus installed.  I do have MBAM Free , which I use as an on-demand scanner, and SUPER AntiSpyware  installed.  I did have Spybot installed at one time - but removed it, as I felt I did not need it.

One thing I believe in, is that each user has to decide what they feel safe using,  which additional programs over and above their choice of an Anti-virus program provides them a good trade-off between protection and system performance.

Also if you have any specific questions on Norton Password Manager - there are many users on this forum who can help you with that learning curve.

Kudos0

i have removed avast using the cleaner but some are telling me to leave adaware alone and ccleaner as well so i will leave them for now i posted the items running to give anyone a flavor of what i have going on. i did remove malwarebyte as well as on the win 10 forum they said to take it away and use the chrome extension  so for the extensions i have trafficlight, for i think replaces spybot and emsisoft to replace bitdefender or visa versa. plus norton safe web and norton safe search as extensions. 

thanks

Kudos0

ok seems i got it going good now but can someone tell me how to turn of that damn pop up window that tells me things are kf? i figure things are ok or i would get some sort of message telling me to beware. but that popup is annoying. all the other programs i had for a system never popped up but maybe once a week. this one pops up every hour or so and it is getting annoying. so can i turn it off? i looked everywhere in that popup and i must be missing something here. thanks

Kudos0

yank:

ADW Cleaner

?
Adaware = https://www.adaware.com/
AdwCleaner = https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Kudos0

thanks but the win10 people tell me to keep that and someone on this site said to keep it also. so for now i will keep it. i have it as an extension in chrome. thanks

i tried to add a 2 part verification and norton send me a text to my phone but it did not send the verification only a link and my phone will not go to them links in my texts. so that is a done deal.

Kudos0

corvairbob:

thanks but the win10 people tell me to keep that and someone on this site said to keep it also. so for now i will keep it. i have it as an extension in chrome.

win10 people?
keep what?
keep what as an extension in Chrome?

Kudos0

bjm_:
yank:

ADW Cleaner

?

I took corvairbob's  comment below to mean Adaware Anti virus:

Posted: 12-Dec-2019 | 11:11AM • Permalink

now this is what i'm seeing  i installed norton that comcast gives me and set it up but it did not remove avast or adaware or ccleaner or spybot. so do i need to now go in and remove these?

Kudos0

yank:
bjm_:
yank:

ADW Cleaner

?

I took corvairbob's  comment below to mean Adaware Anti virus:

Posted: 12-Dec-2019 | 11:11AM • Permalink

now this is what i'm seeing  i installed norton that comcast gives me and set it up but it did not remove avast or adaware or ccleaner or spybot. so do i need to now go in and remove these?

Okay.... my head scratch was my read = Adaware can be removed using ADW Cleaner

ADW Cleaner

Thanks 

Kudos0

win10 forum people told me to keep adware antivirus going and in chrome i have some extensions for spybot, malwarebytes and bitdefender. for the chrome browser.  so i have these extensions and adware av  running on my pc. i have the link to remove adware av if i need that so thanks for that. 

Kudos0

corvairbob:

win10 forum people told me to keep adware antivirus going and in chrome i have some extensions for spybot, malwarebytes and bitdefender. for the chrome browser.  so i have these extensions and adware av  running on my pc. i have the link to remove adware av if i need that so thanks for that. 

Okay....don't know what Adaware (keep adware antivirus) product/s you run...
https://www.adaware.com/index.php/products
...don't know what "some extensions for spybot, malwarebytes and bitdefender" means.
...don't know what Norton browser extension/s you run.
...don't know what real-time security solution/s you run.

I'll sit on my hands.
Thanks

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8274651#comment-8274651 

Kudos0

i have adware av free and those extensions are in chrome most of those came for suggestions made on this thread.  and i just posted the extensions to replace the programs i had. they must be programs that chrome uses in conjuntion with nortons av program as when i was using all the other programs by themselves no one ever sid to add them to chrome  

so i have nortons free av from comcast running and it show in the lower right side of the taskbar, ccleaner free is there

and adware av free is also running in the same place, along with windows security suite and windows defender,  so if i see them in that spot they are running in the background.  a nd when i open msconfig it is in selective startup so

adware antivirus service    running

and nothig else for security show in there but under task manager processes i have these

norton, adware services, adware tray, ccleaner, norton security, norton security wsc services, windows security services.

so if that gives you an idea of what is going on.  thanks much

Kudos0

The more I read, the more confused things become - maybe it's just my old age!

Please click on the three dots in the upper right hand corner of your Chrome page, then select  More Tools, and then select Extensions. 

Then take a screen shot of all the extensions listed and we may be better able to understand exactly which extensions you have installed in Chrome.

How to post a screenshot:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/how-post-image-forums-0

Hopefully what they say is true - a picture is better than a thousand words.

Kudos0

let's call this one done ok. seems every time someone checks in they do not read the complete thread and then posts and answer to help and then i give that answer and it is starting to confuse helpers. i will start a new thread later. 

i originally asked about how good the norton av is from comcast/xfinity. they offer it to comcast customers for free.

then i posted what antivirus programs i had installed currently 

then i installed norton av and norton started to ask about removing the other antivirus program.

so i got help removing those. i was told to leave adware antivirus installed so i did

then some told about installing  extensions into the chrome browser becasue that is the browser i use.

so i installed emsisoft for bitdefender as an extensions to chrome  

so i installed traffic lite for spybot. as an extensions to chrome  i know how to check for them in chrome thanks

so now i have norton running along with adware and emsisoft and traffic lite all in the extions in the upper right of the chrome browser.

norton is running in the background in the taskbar lower right side along with  adware av now and ms security.

thanks lets now close this. i will open a new one later if i have issues.

Kudos0

corvairbob:
so i installed emsisoft for bitdefender as an extensions to chrome 
so i installed traffic lite for spybot. as an extensions to chrome
so now i have norton running along with adware and emsisoft and traffic lite all in the extions in the upper right of the chrome browser.

?

Maybe, corvairbob is running:
Adaware Ad Block
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adaware-ad-block/cmllgdnjnkbapbchnebiedipojhmnjej?hl=en

Emsisoft Browser Security
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/emsisoft-browser-security/jfofijpkapingknllefalncmbiienkab?hl=en

Bitdefender TrafficLight
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/trafficlight/cfnpidifppmenkapgihekkeednfoenal

emsisoft for bitdefender
traffic lite for spybot
norton running along with adware
norton is running along with adware av and ms security

?

> corvairbob running Norton extension/s?
> corvairbob running Chrome built-in Phishing and Malware Protection?

Kudos0

This is what happens when you seek advice from multiple sources.  You end up with conflicting advice.

My advice, for what it's worth  -  remove Adaware AV or expect system slow-downs and software conflicts.

Good luck!

Windows 10 x64 21H1 | Mint Cinnamon 20.2 | Solus Plasma 4.3 | Kubuntu 20.04 LTS
Kudos0

Kudos0

ok i'm uninstalling adware antivirus. the link aynk gave me installed adware cleaner. and that looked like it installed bitdefender and now want to install malwarebytes. now i just took all thff the pc. so again i'm getting conflicting answers and thes area ll form this site no the other forums . it looks like you can't even agree here.

i jotted down here what i had on my pc and then multiple people come back and say remove this and that and then say to add this and add that  so i add adwcleaner and it puts back what i just took off and wants to add more of what i just took off.

so it there someone here that actually know what they are doing or is this a free for all. one person says all these are conflicting and then others say get them. what is real! thanks

Kudos0

Norton's official stance is not to have any other security software installed along side Norton.

Most here believe there is no harm having the free version of Malwarebytes installed as an occasional on-demand scanner.  Adding more security programs does not necessarily make your machine more secure, especially when they are very similar types of programs, IE both anti-viruses.

The same really applies to Chrome extensions too.  The extensions you have installed are all basically trying to do the same thing.  As you are using Norton now I suggest you remove all others and I'm sure you'll find Chrome runs faster.  By the way, Chrome has its own built in malicious and phishing site protection, so are any extensions really required for this?

This discussion reminds me of a screenshot I seen posted on an Emsisoft blog about PUPs.  No, I am not saying any of the mentioned programs in this thread are PUPs.

https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/2563/what-is-a-pup/

Can you imagine how slow Internet explorer would be running on that machine?

Kudos0

krusty13  now all i have is norton security that comcast gave me. i have the these extensions if the screen shot goes thru you will se in the upper right where they go the password ext. the norton safe web, emsisoft browser security, traffic lite, and another norton safe search.

so you saying i can remove all them and just go with norton? 

i do not see the screen shot but it may show up when i save this thanks

Kudos0

How to post an image in the forums.

You don't really need Norton Safe Search as that makes your machine use a different search engine other than what most use in Chrome, Google, but that is a personal choice.

Norton Safe Web, Emsisoft Browser Security and BitDefender TrafficLight all do pretty much the same thing.  In my opinion you are better off picking one you like and at least disabling the others.  That way you can try one at a time to see which you prefer, but Norton is a jealous beast and will often suggest you use Norton's extensions.

Edit:  Most Member's screesnhots will need to be reviewed by forum Admin / Moderators before they are visible in the forums but Gurus are able to see them when posted.

Kudos0

ok maybe that screenshot will show up later then. but now if i do a screen shot it will be different as the extensions are off.

i know about the images,

this is what i have for extensions now 

adware cleaner bitdefender  took off uninstalled this

avast online security  extension now off  so nsorton can now do this

emsisoft extension  now off  so now norton can do this

norton safe web now off  maybe i just do not need this so norton should be doing this correct

norton password manager still on but chrome seems to do that so i may turn it off  as it will not let me see the passwords at all but that may be a good thing in case of theft of my pc.

traffic lite now off.

what do you think? thanks

Kudos0

It sounds far better to me. 

Norton Safe Web is OK if you want to keep that.  I'd ditch Norton Safe Search.

How's Chrome feel now?  Faster?

Kudos0

thanks krusty13 i can't say yet as i was watching a youtube on a obd scanner review. i will have to do some more surfing to see.

i put norton safe web back on and left password manager on yet. i'm still thinking on that one.

so i have now norton safe web, adb adblock plus, popup blocker, all running now. it may take a bit for this to get going smooth in chrome.

also i was under the impression that chrome did a lot to protect my browsing so i may not have needed all that other stuff, but i have had a lot of people tell me this and that and for the most part i would have ignored it but i was using the free antivirus programs and i did have them running good.

but when i switched over to the free norton from comcast i wanted make sure that free antivirus program gave me all the stuff a paid for program was going to give me. and form some of the help post i was told to add all this extra stuff, so i was wondering if i need all that extra stuff what good is a paid for antivirus program even though i got it for free from comcast. it was making me wonder.  it seems if i got that free comcast program it should be good enough to keep me safe while surfing the web, and help me stay out of bad places. and protect my banking and passwords. thanks krusty13.

Kudos0

You're very welcome, corvairbob.  Just remember to keep your Operating System and installed software up to date, only download files you know are safe, don't go to the 'dark side' of the web, don't open email attachments you aren't expecting or are unsure if they are safe and you should be fine.

We're always here to help.

Cheers,
Dave

PS:  I bet with all that, let's call it bloat, removed your machine is running better too. 

Kudos0

not interested in the dark side. but i did ask if this program offered by comcast could go there. that may be why some told me to get all that other stuff? i did also say i was not interested in going there as there is nothing there for me to do but get into trouble. but i do want to be safe enough if i was to open a scam email and or click on something the looked good but turned out to be bad.

a week ago i got an email from what looked like the va, i have been talking to them over email for a few months. well this email showed up telling me i could get some va discounts, so i fell for it and clicked on the box i forgot to double check the email the was , sdkjasdj@fklsdjla.com  and all of a sudden it took me somewhere and i saw some pages starting to open that did not look like the va i have been seeing so i clicked the x on that tab and closed it. as it looked like it was setting a ransomware browser up on my pc. i know how to remove them but also i ran a virus scan and was good to go. so that is what i need norton's antivirus program to protect me from. if it can't do that by itself then maybe i need to go back the the old system.  that did protect me, but i have 5 programs running. so can norton do this by itself or do i need to add a few more items. thanks  bob

Kudos0

@corvairbob,

Did you see the following Edit earlier in this thread?

"<EDIT> Posted on Dec 13 @ 1:43 PM

FWIW - I am running Comcast's NSO on WIN 7 and have no other Anti-virus installed.  I do have MBAM Free , which I use as an on-demand scanner, and SUPER AntiSpyware  installed.  I did have Spybot installed at one time - but removed it, as I felt I did not need it.

One thing I believe in, is that each user has to decide what they feel safe using,  which additional programs over and above their choice of an Anti-virus program provides them a good trade-off between protection and system performance.

Also if you have any specific questions on Norton Password Manager - there are many users on this forum who can help you with that learning curve."

You said more than once in this thread "I have had a lot of people tell me this and that" - referring to what you need to run.  Hopefully my belief in what each user decides to use helps you feel more confident about what you  are using and the trade off for better system performance.

Kudos0

kursty13 well after the weekend of using this new to me setup it seems to be doing good. faster as you thought it would be as well.

i turned off the emsisoft, the traffic light,  and adware cleaner that was in the extensions. for now

i running norton security suite from what comcast gave me in the background lower right of the taskbar

norton safe web in the estension area 

microsoft inthe taskbar background running

ccleaner is running but i turned off the running in the background as mentioned and will have to run that not want them myself i guess. maybe norton will take care of that.  i did place in the the taskbar so i see it now to run when i remember

can you tell me is that norton program that comcast gives up a good one like the 360 program i see on tv all day long? or just a thinned down program thanks

Kudos0

covairbob:
can you tell me is that norton program that comcast gives up a good one like the 360 program i see on tv all day long? or just a thinned down program thanks

I'm glad to hear your machine is running better.  Thanks for letting us know.

The level of security is pretty much the same.  The only real differences are a few extra features, like VPN and Dark Web Monitoring.  Here is a comparison chart from the US Norton site:
https://us.norton.com/products?inid=nortoncom_nav_products_homepage:home

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.