• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

100% CPU on El Capitan with NS 6.4?

I have successfully installed and updated Norton Security (currently 6.4 build 36) on OS X El Capitan (10.11), but I am pretty steadily seeing very high CPU times, in the 98-100% range.  Mac is MacBook Pro Retina mid-2012.  This seems excessive, fan keeps ramping up.

Anyone else seeing it?

Any work-arounds or suggestions?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 100% CPU on El Capitan with NS 6.4?

I guess I should note that I ran a full system scan, soon after installing, so it is not a first-scan/install sort of thing.  It is something that has gone on for a number of days.  SynDaemon is the task showing up as 100%.

Kudos0

Here is a screen shot:

Kudos0

Hi PaulJones,

Can you run the following and post a log when the CPU takes 100%.  Steps to gather the log is following

1.  Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

2.  Type the below command and press Enter

sudo sample SymDaemon -file ~/Desktop/SymDaemon_sample.log

3.  Enter the administrator password (it will not echo on-screen) and press Enter.

4.  This will generate the log and save in Desktop as SymDaemon_sample.log.

I also need some more logs, 

1.  Launch Norton Security application

2.  Click "Gather Support Information...", this will ask for Administrator username/password.

3.  Once the gathering is completed, the dialog message will appear with "Done" button.  The log file is saved in Desktop as "Symantec Support Data.zip".

Can you please post both the files generated in your Desktop?

Haridharan Nattamai Gangadharan Sr. Software Engineer Endpoint Protection for Mac Symantec
Kudos0

Yep, thanks, will try and do that, but Norton Security seems to have stopped working when I went to OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan, 1st fix), so I will have to sort that out first.  Stay tuned.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.