• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

100% disk usage all the time and laptop slowing with N360

For some time have been bothered by extreme slowing of laptop with Windows 10 with disk usage always at 100% or 99% when little or no software running. Tried many "solutions" but no help. HOWEVER when I disable Norton functions there is an immediate and dramatic reduction in HDD usage to 0 to 65%. As soon as I re-enable Norton functions, the constant high HDD usage reappears. Using task manager it and a process of elimination it does not appear that this problem is caused by any other program. Although search index is very active, disabling it has much less effect than disabling Norton.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 100% disk usage all the time and laptop slowing with N360

Hello Eenywebb Disable fast boot and restart. Here is how: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-881-or-10-and-fast-start-feature-0

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

I should add that using task manager I see the high HD usage by Norton 360 is often immediately adjacent to usage by certain windows functions such as update or module installer. However it was disabling Norton that led to the most decisive change in the problem. I will try your suggestion and let you know.

Kudos0

I am surprised by your suggestion, soul asylum, as I have not come across this during internet searches, which often seem to blame HD drivers or standard windows services. Also I quite often perform restarts and still have this problem. I have also run chkdsk. Anyway I have now disabled fast start so lets see!

Kudos0

Fast boot keeps certain files resident in memory thus not allowing for a 100% clean and complete shutdown and restart. It's not always the culprit of issues without another cause however, it is known to cause issues with Norton and other software. Just another suggestion in the search for a solution for you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power-winpc/windows-10-pro-fastboot-option-causing-problems/0a89254a-6723-4a58-9f7d-3a4932187e4d?auth=1

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.295 / N360 Deluxe 22.18.0.213 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Yeah sorry that hasn't worked at all. However I have been monitoring and noticed the very high hard drive usage is not only due to Norton, but also a number of microsoft functions as well. Together they keep my HDD usage at 99 to 100% almost all the time with background activities even when I am doing nothing. Maybe it's more of a Microsoft Windows issue, but it does get better when N360 is disabled (which I don't like doing, obviously).
Kudos0

If Norton is part of the problem, maybe it is time for a refresh of your install. Download and run the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool to do this.    www.norton.com/nrnr    Be sure you read the Before you begin section, and run LiveUpdate manually a few times, restarting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Then maybe you should check your Windows installation. Click on Start and type CMD in the search box. Right click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator. Type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This will check your Windows installation and try to correct any errors it finds.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.