• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

100% virus-free money-back guarantee

Hi all Nortonians, I wish all of you ( admins and employees too ) can input your views on this policy of Norton for its latest line of products. If you have got some experience related to it, its most appreciated to be shared. The main intention of this post is to make all of ourselves aware of the procedure for different cases.
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 100% virus-free money-back guarantee

What are Prerequisites before infection? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . What if : 1) My system is suspected to be infected? 2) My machine is UNBOOTABLE? 3) I cannot find the infected file? 4) My machine is locked by ransomeware or cryptoware or similar? 5) Malware or infection resides in registry only and uses native windows executables to facilitate infection? 6) Should I contact a chat representative to fix it before claiming?
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos1 Stats

Hi CV.

I do not think that anyone from Norton is going to post any answers or even comments in such a thread and so, to me, there seems little point in entering into a debate here.  We might say what we would like the answer to be or what we think it might be but in the event every case will be different and Norton will decide what to do.

As far as I can see, if you have NS or NSBU loaded and licensed on your system, and you think you may have an infection, then contact Chat and see what they say.

Sorry if that sounds a bit negative but I think it reflects reality.

Mike
Kudos0

If I am using a Symantec Product (Norton Security), and my computer gets infected and NS cannot fix the problem .... then the LAST thing I want is for Symantec to give me my money back and walk away from the problem.
Kudos0

Hi geek47.  As I understand it they will try and remove the problem, however if they cannot, then you get your money back.  Which might not be great news at that point, but it would seem to be better than still having the problem and not getting any money back.

Mike
Kudos0

Hi geek47.  As I understand it they will try and remove the problem, however if they cannot, then you get your money back.  Which might not be great news at that point, but it would seem to be better than still having the problem and not getting any money back.

I agree that being infected and getting ones money back is better that being infected and not getting ones money back.

But that type of "guarantee" (try to remove/fix the problem, and if problem cannot be fixed, then give customer their money back and walk away) is really not very helpful (to the customer) ... especially in light of the potential exposure in Norton Security that could occur if the user's computer does not have an active internet connection (and thus behavioral protections cannot be accessed) ... see this thread for more details. Symantec knows this exposure exists (when no active internet connection is available and behavioral protections cannot be accessed) and their only solution (to date) is to pop-up a warning telling customers not to run an executable  ... most people ignore pop-ups like that. I'd prefer a "guarantee" that my computer is FULLY protected regardless of whether I do, or do not, have an active internet connection.

What incentive does their "guarantee" (which would cost Symantec a mere $80) give to Symantec agents who are working on fixing a customer's problem. How many minutes of an agent's time equals $80? Will the agents be told to spent no more than xx minutes trying to help fix customer's problem ... then issue refund and be done with it? That would help Symantec meet their "guarantee" but would not much help for the customer.

I think that most customers with infected computers are not looking for a refund but for a solid commitment from their anti-virus company to do whatever it takes to clean up any computer running their product that gets infected.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

It's a very smart/clever marketing tactic, especially for a new and expensive product.

What do they have to lose? Very little

What do they have to gain. A great deal. The run of the mill consumer/purchaser looking for a product will be impressed I'm sure. For most PC users who don't follow security issues and product developments closely, choosing a product can be very confusing, Most probably rely on the advice of an equally uninformed friend or some no-nothing sales person.

A money-back guarantee in these circumstances can be highly influential, IMHO.

Kudos0

geek47:

What incentive does their "guarantee" (which would cost Symantec a mere $80) give to Symantec agents who are working on fixing a customer's problem. How many minutes of an agent's time equals $80? Will the agents be told to spent no more than xx minutes trying to help fix customer's problem ... then issue refund and be done with it? That would help Symantec meet their "guarantee" but would not much help for the customer.

Call me naive, but I doubt the refund policy will have much influence on Customer Support time devoted to an issue. Norton is in a highly competitive market. It is now focused on a single product for its future success. The last thing it needs is to develop a reputation for lousy customer support that would be limited by a time devoted to repair being < a refundable amount service policy. The most effective means of marketing or lowering demand remains "word of mouth." The refund guarantee is a marketing ploy, not a service limiting method.

Kudos0

It's a very smart/clever marketing tactic.

What do they have to gain. A great deal. The run of the mill consumer/purchaser looking for a product will be impressed I'm sure. For most PC users who don't follow security issues and product developments closely, choosing a product can be very confusing, Most probably rely on the advice of an equally uninformed friend or some no-nothing sales person.

Kudos0

It's a very smart/clever marketing tactic.

BTW: This forum's operation remains the worst on the internet. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The old forum functioned extremely well. A shame it was changed. Posts don't appear for hours, posts disappear, posts never appear - you just never know if your post was properly received.

And whoever is moderating the forum at a particular time should be made known to all. I have never seen a security forum where that rule does not apply.

It's almost as though Norton wants to limit public discussion - intended or not -that is the effect.

This is the deadest security forum on the internet.

Just my two cents.

Kudos0

hok: I agree with your comments about the new forum. If you do not immediately see a new post you make ... try logging out and back in to these forums ... then look for your new post. It's a known bug. Regarding the money-back guarantee, I think we both agree that it is a marketing ploy that is good for Symantec and not much help for a customer who wants a virus removed from their computer that was protected by a Symantec product (rather than a refund and Symantec walking away from the problem).
Kudos0

There have been many cases reporting the powliks and similar issues and the customer support or whom ever at Symantec end will say for the millionth sure your system is clean! . . . . . And just spend a few hours at a free malware removalist ( they guys are great ) and get your system cleaned or just do a total restore / reinstall. And yeah! Who dare to take their system online for hours and remoting when the machine is infected?
Kudos0

Nikhil_CV:
Hi all Nortonians,

Just noticed I'm a Nortonian from the planet Norton

Kudos0

In this community, I think is appropriate to call all of us as Nortonians. Nothing is more better to call ourselves.
How did you pick this from the sea other posts? I think you subscribed to the whole board.
Kudos0

I'm a Nortonian ~ I had second sight

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.