• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

2 Issues with Norton 360

Hi everyone,

I have just re-installed Norton 360 on a new PC and I am having 2 problems which I cannot sort out.

1 - I have attached an image of my taskbar and whenever I start up the computer, the 360 icon changes to the one seen in the image and always remains on that.

2 - Whenever I download something via the internet, if 360 doesnt like it, it removes it automatically from my pc without even notifying me. Is there a way to show notifications to state that norton has removed it?

Many thanks

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 2 Issues with Norton 360

michaelswift wrote:

Hi everyone,

[…]

*I cannot attach the upload of my taskbar, but I believe it is the silent mode icon

Please see here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/254415

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Managed to resolve issue number 1, something was running at startup which caused Norton 360 to run in Silent mode, so disabled that and now al is fine.

However I still havent resolved the option when norton removes a file from your computer, to let it notify me that it has done so.

Kudos0

Hi,

Not sure which type of files you are talking about, perhaps if navigate to Settings > Antivirus > Scans & Risks Tab > and select the

for Exclusions/Low Risks and read the different options  you can figure out which file  you do not want removed.  You would do that by excluding it.  I know - lots of reading and some of it can be confusing - but if nothing else it may help you to narrow it down to a type of file which we may be able to assist you with figuring out the exclusion

Kudos0

For example, if I downloaded a file to 'my downloads' from the internet and Norton 360 found an issue with it, it automatically removes it from my system without even notifying me (no tray notifications)

Kudos0

Again, I have worked out the issue, for some reason my setting under Firewall/Intrusion and Browser Protection I have 'Download Insight Notifications to risk only, but for some reason, I'm not getting the notifications! :(

Kudos0

From the Help files:

"When the Download Insight Notifications option is set to Risks Only, Download Insight notifies only when you download an infected or a suspicious executable file.

Setting the Download Insight Notifications to Risks Only does not turn off analysis of all the other executable files that you download. Whether or not you receive notifications of all files, Security History keeps a record of all the Download Insight activities. You can review the summary of the Download Insight alerts and notifications in Security History."

So from what you are saying and the settings you say you have, the noification should be tracked in security history's Download Insight section.

As I sat here scratching my head, I noticed your screenshot in your first post.  After  enlarging the Norton Icon displayed in it, I saw what I call the "half-moon" which tells you that your Norton has Silent Mode enabled.    If you got ot Settings > Administrative Settings > scroll down to  Silent Mode Settings > and once again click on the  it will give you the Help info for Silent Mode, which in part states:

"When Silent Mode is enabled, Norton suppresses all alerts".

So if you have the other settings correct (Download Insight Notifications) but have Silent Mode enabled - things may not work correctly.  

Please go to Settings > Administrative Settings > Silent Mode Settings  and set Silent Mode to OFF (Apply) and see if it corrects your situation.

Kudos0

Thanks for your reply.

Silent mode is now off and all files that have been removed are listed in the 'Security History' but for some bizarre reason, I'm not receiving any notifications at all to tell me that the files have been removed. I may try a fresh reinstall.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.