• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

22.5.0.124 BUGS

ITMA.

​I've noticed the FORUMS alive, with 22.5.0.124 bugs and complaints.
What never fails to amuse me, in this high tech world we all function in, is that; there are plenty of posts berating Microsoft for their Win10 Monthly Updates. I can't find any warning-off the early change-out to 22.5.0.124.

Every new product has bugs. As 22.5.0.124 progresses, there will be more bugs to fix and patches to apply. I would have thought that "Tech Outpost" would be buzzing with "WAIT `TIL LATER", at least until the forums bugs & complaints subside.

I've turned off my "Auto Install Latest Version", for a while anyway. I'll get 22.5.0.124 when the forums are a quieter place ?

Be safe out there !
"It's That Man Again."
The Silver Surfer. 
AK.  [ CC/1960. "Concordia Res Parvae Crescunt" ] 
ps. memo to self:-
AVOID A MANUAL LIVEUPDATE !

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: 22.5.0.124 BUGS

Just curious but...  What the heck happened to the heuristic engine in 22.5.0.124????  Suddenly I learn (insert sarcasm here) that Chrome Remote Desktop downloaded directly from Google is a heuristic threat!  Not only that, so is the Visual Basic software that I wrote and compiled that calculates Optical Fiber Link Loss (which I can assure you does not know how to link to any network for any reason)!!!  That and about 50 other definitely benign items related to my work are suddenly heuristic threats...  What's the solution to this other than to choose "ignore" each and every time it "finds" a threat?

P.S.  I hope I don't have to switch to McAfee but this is intolerable and a "work-around" will not be an acceptable solution.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi photo308,

Just so that you are not taken by surprise, the Automatic Download New Version feature only applies to major updates indicated by changes to the version number left of the decimal point such as 21.x to 22.x

Although there were substantial changes between 22.2.0.31, 22.5.0.120 and 22.5.0.124 they are not considered to be major updates and 22.5.0.124 will undoubtedly be delivered to you regardless of the Automatic Download New Version setting.

I had that feature turned off and still received the update from 22.2.0.31 to 22.5.0.120 and then 22.5.0.124 across multiple machines.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos1 Stats

Mike Andrews

Norton is aware of the sudden increase in heuristic detections, and they are working on it.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Phil_D:

Hi photo308,

Just so that you are not taken by surprise, the Automatic Download New Version feature only applies to major updates indicated by changes to the version number left of the decimal point such as 21.x to 22.x

Although there were substantial changes between 22.2.0.31, 22.5.0.120 and 22.5.0.124 they are not considered to be major updates and 22.5.0.124 will undoubtedly be delivered to you regardless of the Automatic Download New Version setting.

I had that feature turned off and still received the update from 22.2.0.31 to 22.5.0.120 and then 22.5.0.124 across multiple machines.

ITMA.
Phil, thanks for the "heads-up".
My 2-NIS machines, I've let the Auto-Version Install; simply because, while I left the machines idle, I returned to a new version. I've run the facilities through, they work. I'm not against "AUTO"; but in the same vein as MS Updates, I like to be in the driving seat. I'm going to let my N360 machine run on, until the forums posts slow down. If the new version comes flying through the door, that's OK.

I'm interested in how the forums have sprung to life with Norton Bugs. What's going to be of real interest, is when W10 Bugs hit the streets. The Forums are going to go ballistic ?

Be safe out there !
"It's That Man Again."
The Silver Surfer. AK.  [ CC/1960. "Concordia Res Parvae Crescunt" ] 
pre:- [ photo762 ] : Nil illegitimi carborundum !

Kudos1 Stats

Hello

For NAV/NIS/N360, the update to 22.5.0.124 is considered as a major update. So to prevent you from getting that update, you do need to turn off Automatic Download of New Version if you do   not want to receive it.

For Norton Security and Norton Security with Backup, the update to 22.5.0.124 is not considered a major update, so turning off Automatic Download of New Version will have no bearing to prevent you from receiving it. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I just got my update last night to 22.5.0.124 and my first scan during the day while I was at work.  I've spent the last hour restoring false-positive files from Quarantine (a mass restore really is needed). The things that got tagged and removed is CRAZY:

• Parts of Powershell
  • Parts of my Carbonite install
  • VB programs that I wrote 
  • ZIP files that have been clean for YEARS
  • Parts of an old install of PE Builder
  • Installed "bloatware" from my PC builder (yeah -- it could be considered virus/malware but it's been there for years)
  • Software installers for other programs

The list could go on and on.  This is nuts!  I've turned off my auto-updater as well.  I've used Norton for YEARS and now, I'm not so sure.  I hope this all gets cleaned up ASAP.

Kudos0

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi there Norton.

Have been using NIS for many years, but today I am **Not happy!**  Not even with the workaround.  Following the automatic installation of 22.5.0.124, NIS has "detected" numerous "Heuristic Viruses", a number of which were quarantined automatically, without even alerting me till after the fact.  Many were "Suspicious.Cloud.X" but not all. Most have been on my pc for years, and a number are essential to the working of existing programs and software.  Trying to restoring them from quarantine asks me where I want to put them (suggests my user folder PS I know the documentation says it puts them back where they came from, but that is not what happened when I tried a restore!).  Useless!  Many live in assorted places where program installers I ran years ago put them automatically.  I now have a pc where assorted programs fail to run, and I am *NOT* keen to try and reinstall over 3 years worth of software by hand.

*PLEASE FIX ASAP*

And perhaps test future releases in advance!

Kudos0

Directly from the NIS Anouncement: "Customers are reporting that their Norton product had detected a file or an application that they always run as Suspicious.Cloud.x. You suspect this may be a false detection..."

Looks like lawyers and bean-counters wrote that - especially the part that seems to leave open the possibility that it is NOT a false detection with the nebulous "you suspect this may be a false detection..."    It is much more than a suspicion.  As I said in an earlier post - I wrote and compiled some of the software that was flagged during this debacle and can confirm that it is a false detection.

Still waiting for a proper acknowledgement and fix (not a work-around!) from Norton/Symantec.  The clock is ticking.

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello

For NAV/NIS/N360, the update to 22.5.0.124 is considered as a major update. So to prevent you from getting that update, you do need to turn off Automatic Download of New Version if you do   not want to receive it.

For Norton Security and Norton Security with Backup, the update to 22.5.0.124 is not considered a major update, so turning off Automatic Download of New Version will have no bearing to prevent you from receiving it. Thanks.

This may no longer be true.  It looks like the original announcement has been updated as recently as July 8th, and it sounds like all NAV/NIS/N360 user may get this update now even if Automatic Download is turned off.  If that's the case, Norton is about to lose A LOT more customers due to the heuristic and itunes bugs

Kudos1 Stats

hi

I have said a number of times before that my devices updated without problem and in some cases fallen on deaf ears even when some others have followed some of my suggestions successfully.

One thing Norton could do which in my opinion would help is to only allow an update to 22.0.124 by the way of the New Version Check rather than automatically pushing it out as a Live Update, probably too late now as it seems to have gone out to many users. This applies to NAV/NIS/N360 but the forums seems to have become a little confused with users posting in either of the NS/NSwB and NAV/NIS/N360 threads.

Many of the problems seem to start following the Live Update "option".

I still have the ID Safe problem but can live with that at the moment as it only affects my ISP email Account and Norton Account itself! everything else works normally.

The other major problem appears to be the scan, I delayed running a full scan for a few days and did not encounter the Heuristic Virus's detection. I appreciate some users have had difficulties with the new version not activating. I thought this may be a problem for me with one of my devices but after about 30 seconds it had contacted the servers and all was well.

Hopefully Norton will learn from this. The timing just before a huge National Holiday and the method of implementation needs to more sensibly thought out with more advice given to users before introducing a major update such as this.

Last year we were told by Norton that NAV/NIS/N360 would not be updated and here we are 6 months into the new year with basically NS/NSwB in all but name installed on our machines with the old rather than new licencing agreement.

Once installed properly and running on my devices for a week now the new Norton is so much better and all my devices running much more smoothly and quicker. Just shows how the old versions of Norton really were quite heavy on Resources despite the improvements over the past few years.

Hopefully those with the Norton induced problems will have their devices up and running properly very soon and Norton will think long and hard on the future of these matters as this has rightly made many people very angry.

Michael  

Kudos0

They still don't have a solution for itunes sync bug for older ipods now going on 7 months, and the workarounds provided don't work for everybody.  So still a major known bug with one of the most used pieces of software in the world (itunes), an yet lets still push out the updates.

I'm not updating to 22.5 until they have the itunes bug fixed, and if they don't fix it, I need to find another AV provider.  Hate to tell Norton, but iTunes might just be a little more popular than Norton

Kudos0

Brocktoon: This may no longer be true.  It looks like the original announcement has been updated as recently as July 8th, and it sounds like all NAV/NIS/N360 user may get this update now even if Automatic Download is turned off. 

Update: NIS/NAV/N360 22.5.0.124 update available for all languages via Norton Update Center
I do not find verbiage to suggest = NIS/NAV/N360 versions 20 & 21 may get this update now even if Automatic Download is turned off. 
Please point me to ... Thanks

Kudos0

So far I'm not seeing anything concrete so maybe I'm just reading into things too much, but after the blog announcement on July 6th stating:

Beginning this month, we will begin automatically updating customers with a new PC client that provides the best usability, performance and protection that we offer to-date. We’re rolling these updates out to users over the next several months

Customers on Versions 20 or 21
Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360 or Norton One users will receive their updates automatically and silently. There is no need to do anything to automatically get the update.

After reading the above combined with the original announcement being updated a few days later, I guess I'm just getting a bit jumpy.  Hopefully we'll get a bit more clarity in the thread on the NIS/N360 forums.

But, I agree that there doesn't seem to be any hard verbiage.

Kudos0

Brocktoon

The announcement is probably worded that way because the majority of users are probably not aware of the setting to disable Automatic Download of New Version. Those users would get the update automatically.

Many of the users coming to the forums are often advanced users who would actually look through their settings to maintain control over their system.

I can confirm that one of my systems with NIS v21.x.x.x has not updated to the 22.5.0.124 because I have changed that setting.

Kudos0

peterweb:

Brocktoon: The announcement is probably worded that way because the majority of users are probably not aware of the setting to disable Automatic Download of New Version. Those users would get the update automatically.

Is v21 to v22.5 auto update silent.  Is there any notice eg: new major version available ...do you want...
Or, simply auto update > notice to reboot
Thanks

Kudos0

Hello

In addition, Tony Weiss in one of the threads clarified the issue about getting the upgrade if Automatic Download of New Version is turned off. He clarified that going from 21 to 22 is considered as a major update, therefore those users would not get the update if the Automatic Download is turned off. I'll see if I can find the thread where he mentioned that.

EDIT: Here is the post that Tony Weiss made to clarify the point that Automatic Download of New Version will be honored if turned off. Please read this Permalink. Thanks.

Kudos0

@Mike Andrews, Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please let us know if you are still seeing this issue and also please report with the threat name and for which files it is being reported?

Thanks,
Sunil G A
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi @shonsu & @Geoff Lee,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. we've made some backend changes to minimize the erroneous detections of a file or application for "Suspicious.Cloud.9" threat detections. So you should not be seeing as many files being quarantined for "Suspicious.Cloud.9" detections. If you still see "Suspicious.Cloud.9" or any other "Suspicious.Cloud.x" can you please report with the threat name and for which file it is being reported? 

Thanks,
Sunil G A
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

bjm_:
peterweb:

Brocktoon: The announcement is probably worded that way because the majority of users are probably not aware of the setting to disable Automatic Download of New Version. Those users would get the update automatically.

Is v21 to v22.5 auto update silent.  Is there any notice eg: new major version available ...do you want...
Or, simply auto update > notice to reboot
Thanks

It would be silent. That would be the Automatic part of it. If you were running LiveUpdate manually, you would see the Patch Available notice, but it would be too late to back out. The next reboot would install it. 

Kudos0

Oh, okay.  Sorta' got a differing version from  Permalink

Kudos0

Hi peterweb et al,
The first time you see the Update Notification, it will look like this:
Images in Tim Lopez's post <here>

Kudos0

bjm_:

Hi peterweb et al,
The first time you see the Update Notification, it will look like this:
Images in Tim Lopez's post <here>

Maybe yes, maybe no. That post was from 2011. Many things could have changed since then.

Has anyone gone through this recently?

Kudos0

peterweb:

Maybe yes, maybe no. That post was from 2011. Many things could have changed since then. Has anyone gone through this recently?

Yeah, Thanks.  I stipulate stuff changes.  I'm curious what current v21 to 22.5 looks like.  Looks like there was adequate notice by 2011 example. 

Kudos0

Hi Everyone,

We have included the fix for false positive detections in the new Norton product version 22.5.2.15 release. Please run LiveUpdate to get your Norton Product to 22.5.2.15 and let us know if you're still seeing the problem. Thanks.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.