• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

22.7.0.75 - Windows Program Folder shows no VirusDefs

Not sure if this is a problem or I just noticed it.

Running Windows7 Pro Sp1 x64 with the updated NS 22.7.0.75 and now have the Windows Action Center issue reported elsewhere.

In quest to investigate the ver 22.7.0.75 file structure, I looked in Windows Explorer at the Norton Security folder.

Under Norton Data > Definitions the VirusDefs folder is empty.

Is this normal with Norton Security?  There were defs there under the previous Norton Internet Security progam.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: 22.7.0.75 - Windows Program Folder shows no VirusDefs

I believe Norton now uses SDS Definitions instead of Virus Definitions.

Look at SDSDefs folder.

On my new install my VirusDefs Folder is empty.

Jim

Kudos0

PhoneMan:  On my new install my VirusDefs Folder is empty.

Me Too 

Kudos0

Hello

Mine is empty also. I believe that PhoneMan is correct. Norton now uses SDS Definitions instead for some unknown reason to me.. The change started with the 22.7 version. The 22.6 version had both Antivirus and SDS Definitions as a test I would assume. Usually, if I remember correctly, SDS showed up slightly after the Antivirus Definitions. The Quick Scans only occurred after the Antivirus Definitions. Now they occur after the SDS Definitions.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos2 Stats

Sorry for the delay folks. You are correct; the addition of SDS Protection and Definitions has replaced the need to have the “VirusDefs” folder and its contents. If you see the VirusDefs folder with few or no contents, please do not be alarmed. Your security is NOT diminished in any way. In future updates, this folder will be removed completely. I’m sorry for the confusion this may have caused.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.