• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

360 3.0.0.134 forgets IDSafe log-ins.

Hello, I run a WinXp Home 32bit sp3 system in which I have IE8 wide release and Mozilla Firefox 3.0.7.  And Norton 360 latest version with LIveupdate running frequently..

I had noticed after upgrading from 360 v2 to v3 that it was missing some log-ins data. I uninstalled and re-installed v3 (a couple of times in a couple of different ways) and the data appeared to all be there but then I noticed that some log-ins were missing. I did a restore instead of removing and re-installing again and the log-ins again appeared to be there (not sure if all of them were but the ones I had noticed missing before were there) later (not sure if the computer had been turned off) some of the log-ins were again gone.  The interesting thing is that if you access through the browser and hit the Norton button in the browser and go to Manage Log-ins it displays the missing log-ins. (no, typing in the URL still will not have the program auto-fill it). Whereas it is missing the log-ins data in the Cards & Log-ins button in the browser.

I had contacted email support but after two contacts they instructed me where to go to restore from a previous profile as a fix. If I do this everyday I guess it's a fix :)

I had probed for the way to completely remove 360 and all traces of it but I am a newbie when it comes to editing the registry and am trying to find any answer before going this route and slowly using up the number of times that I am allowed to re-install the product before having to deal with customer support.

*** It is strange because I have noticed at least one particular log-in as always disappearing. **

I have not run any registry programs since I noticed this issue. 360 reports the last it had run its registry program was March 9th 2009. And the last time I restored the IDSafe settings was yesterday.

As far as I can tell I have everything as up to date as possible and am not quite sure what else to do.  It is very inconvenient because when I go to a new site and its information is stored I cannot do a backup because I do not know if I am backing up with information missing.  

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as I would consider this to be a basic feature (not so basic I am sure if I knew all the programming and testing that goes into supporting this feature) of 360.

Thank you much!

Mumford68

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 360 3.0.0.134 forgets IDSafe log-ins.

I can confirm that this is an issue! I periodically lose all my log-ins. I haven't been able to determine a pattern, but it does happen. Fortunately, I backup the data and am able to restore.

I am running Vista Ultimate 32-bit and using Norton 360 version 3 with IE8

Kudos0

Richfed,

I've seen at least one other thread where the user was talking about losing all their log-ins data as well.

May I ask if this started occuring after upgrading from version 2 to version 3?  And do you have any other Norton products running and do you have any other registry programs running such as registry mechanic or anything of the like?  

Thank you for confirming issue and the information you provided.

Message Edited by mumford68 on 03-25-2009 04:32 PM
Kudos0

I did have Version 1 and then Version 2, but I then ran the BETA version of Version 3. Completely removed that via Norton Removal Tool [couple of runs] and then installed the new official Version 3.

No other Norton Products installed.

I use RegCure ... run a weekly scan. I can't say that it seems related to that.

Kudos0

Some of my logins do  not appear in the drop down list under 'Cards & Log-ins' and yet do appear in the list under 'Manage Log ins'.

This wasn't happening with V2

I have checked the list and the only one misiing was e-bay.I had to delete the entry under manage logins,log back into ebay and get 360 to save it.It now appears in the drop down list

Message Edited by Rob_N on 03-27-2009 12:44 AM
Kudos0

Hi Rob_N,

What I have been doing (as I have more than one Log-ins that disappears from IDSafe) is to backup the IDSafe settings and restore when I wish to have all the Log-ins displayed under Cards & Log-ins.

As you can tell I am experiencing exactely what you describe with 3.0.0.134. I have noticed that most, if not all, of the log-ins that disappear are the ones that disappear on a consistent basis whereas other Log-ins data seem to stay under cards & Log-ins all the time.

Should you find out any information please let me know.

Thank you much,

Mumford68

Kudos0

As there are now several threads on either users that have none of their log-ins showing in IDSafe or have some of them showing up in Cards & Log-ins I was wondering if it would be possible to get any kind of official "unofficially of course" information or acknowledgment  of it being a known issue or even if I should continue to try and uninstall and re-install the product.

A little more information on my setup:

WinXp Home 32bit sp3.  1.5Gb RAM.   1.4Ghz Single CPU.    Norton 360 v3.0.0.134. One hard drive (NTFS) that is approx. 160 GB. and is partitioned (not using any 3rd party software for that):

c: Total space 127.98GB.  Free space 29.86GB

e: Total space  21.05 GB.  Free space   7.90GB

No other Norton products are installed or running except that I have SmithMicro CheckIt diagnostics installed. (I mention it as it is showing copyright info. for both SmithMirco and Symantec).

I have not run any registry program including 360's since the last time 360 ran registry cleanup which is reported by 360 as having last  run on 3/9/09.

On my computer I have both Internet Explorer 8 (wide release) v8.0.6001.1872 and what I use most which is Mozilla Firefox 3.0.7. I try to keep these and the windows service packs as well as others as up to date as possible (Which is why I had been running a beta of IE8 which I found out is not always the best thing to do :)) 

All quick controls in UI >> Settings are ticked on except for Silent Mode.

Norton Tamper Protection shows On under UI >> Settings >> Administrative Settings

Product State Monitoring - everything is ticked on under UI >> Settings >> Product State Monitoring,  Configure[+].

With my luck this will end up with having a very simple solution or will fix itself :)  However I welcome any and all suggestions.

Thank you much,

Mumford68

Kudos1 Stats

ALL of mine disappear ... my "solution" is the same as yours. An annoyance, but nothing else. I do wish it would be addressed.
Kudos1 Stats

Hi

I have some questions.

Richfed mentioned that he used N360 Beta at some point. What about others. Did someone use Beta version of N360v3 or release build of N360 v3 was installed over N360 V2?

Was IdentitySafe backup created in N360 v2, v3 Beta or released version of v3?

Do logins disappear after restarting computer, browser or it happens at random time while computer is up and running. Do you guys login to Idenitty Safe and find that logins are missing or you can be logged in, use it and then you noticed that logins as missing?

Can someone give an example of website or URL with which problem happens? Login of the website which disappears periodically.

Thanks

Kudos1 Stats

Richfed mentioned that he used N360 Beta at some point. What about others. Did someone use Beta version of N360v3 or release build of N360 v3 was installed over N360 V2?

Do logins disappear after restarting computer, browser or it happens at random time while computer is up and running.

Do you guys login to Identity Safe and find that logins are missing or you can be logged in, use it and then you noticed that logins as missing?

Can someone give an example of website or URL with which problem happens? Login of the website which disappears periodically.

Hello tbaltrus, thank you for your interest,

I have not used any Beta of N360.   I had used v2.5.0.5 w/spam add-on (forgot version #) which was removed by V3 during install.  

Yes, IDSAFE profile was originally created under v2 (2.5.0.5 I believe). (I can probably get the exact date and thus version number should it help?).

I've been experimenting with it and I can reproduce the issue whenever I want to. The way in which I can count on the issue being reproduced is dependent on the settings in the UI > Settings and under 'Identity Safe' and then the options under 'Password Security.    If I have the setting to log me out in 15 minutes and I wait 15 minutes and then login the usual missing data is gone.

If I have it set not to No Password Needed it can be a little harder to predict.  If I logout and log back in the data is usually there. If I close either of the browsers the data is NOT there.  I believe the answer to your question is that the data is noticed missing when a user logs in rather than at random times (atleast it appears that way for myself) during computer usage.

I also experimented with warm re-boots (on the other system we have - IE7 (IE8 previousely but reverted to 7)) and the data would go missing that way as well.

Directv.com for one at: https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/login/login.jsp?_DARGS=/DTVAPP/login/component/loginComponent.jsp.loginForm

Bristolwest.com is another: https://new.bristolwest.com/bristolwest/Login/Login.aspx

Although I had experimented with wiping out the currect IDSafe profile by entering the wrong password 2x and then starting a new profile and entering directv.com into the IDSafe and it appeared stable for two days. I am compiling a list of all my log-ins and will then start a new profile to see if it is stable or not.  Of course even if this workaround works for me I don't know if it will remain stable for an extended period of time and may not be suitable for others.

This issue is being experienced on two machines here at home.  Machine #1 (described here) and Machine #2 (Dell) are having the same results but both are using the same backed up log-in data.   #1 is running latest IE8 and FF whereas #2 was running IE8 and is now running IE7.

Please let me know if you would like me to clarify anything, expand further or require any additional information.

Thank you again for your time and your interest,

Mumford68

p.s. I didn't think it would have anything to do with this issue but I am experiencing other issues with backup and with the UI freezing up several times but not frequently but just in case it should prove to have anything to do with what is going on I thought I should mention it.

Kudos0

There are just a couple of other things that I noticed:

With Myspace we have 5 profiles saved. They show in the browser >> Norton button > Manage Log-ins but only 3 in Cards & Log-ins ever AFTER doing an idsafe restore.

Also, and this is a bit strange, I have one website where even though I am logged into idsafe asks me for my idsafe password. I entered it, logged into the site, logged out, refreshed the webpage and it asked me for my idsafe password again. Very strange.

It is at: http://wiki.answers.com/?action=edit&wpNewq=1 . Just typing in wiki.answer.com yields same phenomenon.

Hope it is of some use as there seem to be a few threads with people having similar issues with idsafe.

Mumford68

[Edit] Just out of curiosity in case I have to type in all the data into idsafe after starting a new profile do I have any option for being able to print out the websites/usernames/passowords?  Or any other way to make a list to follow other than writting it down? :)

[2nd Edit]  Okay, another piece of the puzzle maybe?  Okay so there are 5 myspace profiles stored in Manage Log-ins and only 3 show under Cards & Log-ins. Well I went to myspace a low and behold 360 asked me which of the 5 profiles I wanted to use, I chose one is not showing in Cards/Log-ins and it put the data into the correct spot. Just keeps confusing me.  Does that help?

Thank you much!

Message Edited by mumford68 on 04-01-2009 11:44 PM
Kudos0

tbaltrus wrote:

Hi

I have some questions.

Do logins disappear after restarting computer, browser or it happens at random time while computer is up and running. Do you guys login to Idenitty Safe and find that logins are missing or you can be logged in, use it and then you noticed that logins as missing?

Thanks

1 - Log-ins originally created in Version 2

2 - Random, apparantly, for me - while computer is up and running.

3 - I log in - password protected after 45 minutes - and all will be gone. Happens maybe once per week. I have log-ins for major sites --- ESPN, Verizon, Allstate, etc., banking, my own: http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/ and many others.

Kudos0

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. 

Mumford68, thank you for researching this so thoroughly and for providing all the information to us. Unfortunately we haven't been able to reproduce this yet. There's something more to the problem than just changing IdentitySafe settings to log out after 15 minutes or setting option not to ask for password or any other things mentioned. We will continue to work on this.

In the meantime I will contact some of you using private message. I would like to get some additional information and logs from the computer. I'll send tool and instructions. This could help us to determine cause of the problem.

Thanks

Kudos0

Howdy tbaltrus,

I'm sorry for yet one more message but I will be reminded of something when doing a task. Perhaps I should have built a list over time or something as I doubt readers wish to look over a post from each different event I experience related to IS. :)

360 .134 was uninstalled by an online agent and I now have .135. In setting up IS I selected my 2nd partition and put in the name of the file to backup the IS profile to (for .npm extension), it reminded (as I rec'd the error this time as well) that the last time I did this it told me the destination was not valid (or something worded as such, sorry next I will make note) and to retry with a valid dest.

I don't know if it is related but I hope to be of some help with the different errors and weird things that seem to occur with this function.

-------------------

It intrigues me if the old profiles would hold the data now but am worried that it could trigger (not that it's fixed) the same issue.

Take care,

Mumford68

Kudos0

One very last thing... I was wondering if you would like me to send the actual .WPM file(s) to a Symantec staffer? I am wondering if the issue could be reproduced by restoring these backup file(s)?  I would have assumed the the issue is with a corrupted backup file but I have it happening with the same files (backup files done before converting the version 3) on two machines total.
Kudos0

After uninstalling IE8, and reverting back to IE7, the problem has ceased for me. It's been a week, and not a single issue.

Seems IE8 has problems with certain add-ons and the like ... such as iespellchecker and Adobe SVG viewer.

Kudos0

Howdy richfed,

I'm glad to hear that you have found success to your issue! 

[Edit][ So removing IE8 and restoring the latest backup file of IDSafe solved the issue?]

What is apparently a stable workaround for myself was re-installing 360 after using the NRT in safe mode several times, starting with a new profile (not saving settings when using NRT and removing 360) and saving new data to the IDSafe profile.

I'm convinced by this that something became corrupted when version 3 removed version 2 and then installed version 3.  I believe it to be so because I have the same exact issue on a different system (running IE7)(never having run IE8 on that system) while using the same backed up log-ins .WPM files.  

I just don't know if it is the .WPM files, 360 or both that was creating the issue.  I thought there would be a good clue in the fact that the data shows in "Manage Log-ins" but not show in "Cards & Log-ins". But I guess without being able to reproduce the issue it is not enough.

I am much happier with this apparent stable (now version 3.0.0.135 instead of .134) 360 but if it is of help I figure I can uninstall 360 on the other system,  input a fresh set of Log-ins and then restore from one of the backups that was involved in the issue and that way if the issue does not reoccur I can be pretty sure that it was something that was corrupted in the program itself.

For people that have this issue happening a lot it is one way I found around the apparent reoccurance of the issue (although it does take some time to copy all the data and then enter it back into 360). For users that have lost all their data without a backup of the data, I'm sorry that I do not have any answers.

Mumford68

Message Edited by mumford68 on 04-10-2009 08:36 PM
Kudos1 Stats

My final submission:

After building a new Identity Safe profile on top of a newly installed 360 v3.0.0.135 after taking extra steps to remove elements left over after using the Norton Removal Tool in windows safe mode and entering the information into IDSafe it seems quite stable. And...

After transferring the new IDSafe profile to the other computer that was having the same exact issue with several older backups it now seems stable as well.

So I have to believe that something got damaged in the program itself and not the backups at any point because: the computer withOUT the reinstalled 360 works with the fresh profile while still having problems with the old backups, however these backups were not created with v3 but rather with version 2 (before the upgrade). So something has to happen to v3.0.0.134 during the conversions from v2 to v3 when using v3 to remove v2 and saving the profile.

If I had any real knowledge of the program I might be able to deduce further, however this is as far as I can go in detecting the problem behind the issue.

I can only suggest at the moment to: Copy the IDSafe information (log-ins data(URL, username, pw)), twice enter an incorrect password into IDSafe and starting a new profile and inputting all the log-ins data.

Or if all else fails, copy your log-ins data, reinstall 360 (latest version) after using the NRT in safe mode x2 but don't save your settings (IDSafe profile) when removing  with the NRT, and reenter the log-ins data to the newly installed 360.

For people that have all their data missing and cannot use the 2 above suggestions may I suggest (if you saved your settings when using v3 to save the settings and remove v2) to do so again. I don't know where exactly 360 saves the profile or what extension but hopefully it will pick up the last profile saved (hopefully the last profile saved was the one with the data inside of it and not a blank one) and show the information again and at least allow it to be displayed.

{reason for edit: spelling errors}

Message Edited by mumford68 on 04-18-2009 03:19 AM
Kudos0

I think the obvious problem is when one uses the version 3 install link that automatically removes version 2 (at least 2.5.0.5) that something is ascue when this happens.  I would assume certain keys or files are not removed correctly or at all and as a result there is some sort of conflict or otherwise problem that exists. 

I don't know the number of issues that have been 'solved' by using the Norton removal tool but judging by the amount of traffic here that has lead to customers issues to be 'fixed' by using the tool I would assume that it is a good amount when considering all forms of contact that Symantec receives and solves using this same tool (email, phone, chat support and of course those that don't know any better and pay the $100 to fix their issues).

I don't know enough to lay any kind of 'blame' which leaves me in limbo in understanding why a number of issues have popped up for me since I first started using 360 v2 with systems that I consider to be simple and try to keep as clean as possible.  Thank goodness for this forum and those that volunteer their time simply to assist those that have issues and do not know what to do.  I hope in some small way it helps to alleviate future problems for those that upgrade and experience similar issues.

Thank you,

Mumford68

Kudos0

had the same problem....reported it to symantech, went through removal v3, back to v2.  Started fresh with tech guy having control and he was unable to correct when going through the install again of the v3.  I am back to v2 until this can be fixed completely.  will watch this board for confirmation of the fix being in place.

Can a Norton tech confirm this has been fixed so I can upgrade to v3?

Message Edited by xbalesx on 05-23-2009 01:53 AM
Kudos0

Since May 5, or so --- whenever it was been released --- I have been using Windows 7 RC1 installed directly over my Vista installation. Norton quickly came out with a 360 version 3 beta compatible with Windows 7. IDSafe has been working perfectly over that 3 week span. Not a single instance of a forgotten password.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Kudos0

Thanks...I am running vista ultimate.  Still on v2, has norton confirmed this has been corrected?  I would like to upgrade.  I have backed up my id safe, can I just do the swap and pull it in from that saved file?
Kudos0

Hi xbalesx,

Welcome to the community!

Feel free to upgrade the product to N360 v3. Back up the identity safe profile passwords and store it locally before you upgrade. Try upgrading the product and it should work. Just in case there are some problems, you can import the saved identity safe profile to the upgraded product. 

Please try this and let us know how it goes.

If you need any assistance, I would recommend that you contact our technical support. You can contact our support team through the One Click Support feature by launching an interactive chat session. I'm sure you'll get the assisance that you need on upgrading the product.

Thanks,

TomV

Norton Forums Moderator

Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

Thanks Tom, I will give it a go and report back.  I appreciate the help.
Kudos0

Just performed the installatyion after backing up my ID safe from v2.  I restored it when v3 was installed and the same problem continue to occur.  The logins are there when I go to "manage logins" however they do not appear in the drop down menu on my browser.  Same issue as before.
Kudos2 Stats

I wrote down all the passwords and re-added them all to get them to appear.  I went back and selected autofill when I visit this page and they disappear from the dropdown menu.  I went back in and selected autosubmit and auto fill and they show up.  I go back in and select let me fill login when i visit this page.  Something is wrong with specific programming.  Regardless they should always show on the drop down menu.  That is how v2 had it and it makes it super simple.  No keeping two lists.  Just one with the link and the id info to login.  If Norton cannot fix this I may choose a seperate password program and look a other options for my pc protection.
Kudos2 Stats

THIS ISSUE IS NOT YET SOLVED.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.