• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

360 Premier Disk Backup Stalls

My 360 Premier updated to 22.17 today and now the backup to disk stalls anywhere between 88 and 93%. I back up to 3 separate portable hard drives and this happens with all three. When I select to "Run Backup", I get red boxes with white "X"s by each drive. When I select each backup set separately, that is when it stalls. It worked fine before today.

Labels: Backup

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 360 Premier Disk Backup Stalls

Did you restart your computer after the update to Norton?  Then did you run LiveUpdate again and restart again? The product announcements of updates now say 

3. How can I manually install these patches?

This patch is ONLY available via LiveUpdate, and is being released in a phased manner. You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I went back and made sure there were no more updates and there were none. With a fresh start this morning, I tried backing up again and got the same results. Stalled at 84%. Liveupdate shows no more updates. I've used Norton since Peter Norton's days and have never had an issue with any of it until now. Life Lock broke it.

Kudos0

What OS version are you using? If you use Windows 8/8.1 or 10, there can be an issue with the Windows Fast Startup feature.. See more information here. Note that if you recently received the Win 10 1809 update it would have reset your Fast Startup to enabled.

Kudos0

I run Windows 10 Pro. I disabled that fast startup nonsense as soon as I installed the OS based on my experiences with my home computer's Win 10. Just to be sure, I just checked to make sure it is still off and it is. There have been three updates today, none of which required a restart. I don't know if they were AV updates or software. When I boot up in the morning I will see if any of them made the backup work.

Kudos0

Backup still broken. No matter what disk I try to back up to, the process stalls at around 90%. Give or take a few %. It worked just fine before this last update.

Kudos0

Do your backup drives have a mapped drive letter in Windows Explorer? Have you checked that Windows has connected to the drive(s)?

How much free space is available on the backup drives?

Kudos0

These are portable hard drives and they do show up in Windows. As I said, before this recent backup, Norton Backup worked just fine with them. The only thing that has changed is Norton.

Kudos0

I think I may have found the problem. For some reason Norton Backup now doesn't like drives that are encrypted with BitLocker. I removed the encryption from one drive and tried the backup and it worked. I am trying a different drive right now to make sure that is the issue. If it is, that's not good. These are drives I store off site and I need them to be encrypted. Why that is an issue now and wasn't before the last update is a mystery to me.

Kudos0

I have confirmed that this is the issue. Norton Back will not back up to a drive that is encrypted with BitLocker.

Kudos0

Thanks for posting back.

I'm wondering, as you say the Backups were working before, if it was a Windows update that might have changed something wit BitLocker?

Kudos0

I don't remember the timing of either backup. It may have been either one but I can't say for sure. Knowing Microsoft, it might have been the Windows update because this morning I tried to run Windows backup (Win 7 mode) on an encrypted drive and Windows told me that it could not access the drive. When I removed the encryption, windows recognized the drive.