• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

360 v3 Back Up Questions

Greetings,

First off, I am new to this forum; it looks like a great source for information from what I have seen so far.

I have a few questions about Norton 360 v3 back up. I normally do all my back ups manually (simply copying files) and thought having the automatic back would be a nice feature. I went through what was initially a very confusing menu of selecting the files to back up but I think I am getting it figured out enough to set up what I want backed up. The first try I ended up backing up a bunch of stuff I did not want.

Below are 3 issues I would like information on:

I need an explanation on how exactly the software backs up the files as it was not what I expected. I am backing up to a 8G flash drive. After setting up the "What" & "Where" I ran a back up which indicated it was 5.7G. What I don't understand is how the flash drive has only about 1.3G of space used and the actual files are not there. The files can be viewed on a Norton Back Up Drive listed under My Computer. I don't understand how, if the hard drive suffers a meltdown and, say, needs to be replaced, how will these files be retrieved? it looks to me like the back ups are actually stored on the hard drive. Am I correct that this "back up" could not actually be used to transfer files to another computer?

I since deleted the back ups to start over and remove the files I do not want to back up. However, when I look at the files in Explorer, the files that were backed up still indicate the have are backed up (icon overlay). Is this correct even though the files no longer have reference to the back up files?  Is there any way to remove the icon (other than turning off the overlay option) so that I can have an accurate indication of my new back up files?

I really don't have a problem continuing to manually do my back ups manually  (by copying to the flash drive or a CD) but it appears there is no way to disable the back up feature. Initially, I set the "When" to Manual and the "What" to Other Files (0 files). but after a couple of weeks, I had the orange attention indicator saying  I needed to do a back up. Is there a way to disable the back up feature all together and not get the attention indicator?

Sorry to go on so long but I hope this is enough info to get some answers.

Thanks for your help

Craig

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 360 v3 Back Up Questions

Greetings,

First off, I am new to this forum; it looks like a great source for information from what I have seen so far.

I have a few questions about Norton 360 v3 back up. I normally do all my back ups manually (simply copying files) and thought having the automatic back would be a nice feature. I went through what was initially a very confusing menu of selecting the files to back up but I think I am getting it figured out enough to set up what I want backed up. The first try I ended up backing up a bunch of stuff I did not want.

Below are 3 issues I would like information on:

I need an explanation on how exactly the software backs up the files as it was not what I expected. I am backing up to a 8G flash drive. After setting up the "What" & "Where" I ran a back up which indicated it was 5.7G. What I don't understand is how the flash drive has only about 1.3G of space used and the actual files are not there. The files can be viewed on a Norton Back Up Drive listed under My Computer. I don't understand how, if the hard drive suffers a meltdown and, say, needs to be replaced, how will these files be retrieved? it looks to me like the back ups are actually stored on the hard drive. Am I correct that this "back up" could not actually be used to transfer files to another computer?

I since deleted the back ups to start over and remove the files I do not want to back up. However, when I look at the files in Explorer, the files that were backed up still indicate the have are backed up (icon overlay). Is this correct even though the files no longer have reference to the back up files?  Is there any way to remove the icon (other than turning off the overlay option) so that I can have an accurate indication of my new back up files?

I really don't have a problem continuing to manually do my back ups manually  (by copying to the flash drive or a CD) but it appears there is no way to disable the back up feature. Initially, I set the "When" to Manual and the "What" to Other Files (0 files). but after a couple of weeks, I had the orange attention indicator saying  I needed to do a back up. Is there a way to disable the back up feature all together and not get the attention indicator?

Sorry to go on so long but I hope this is enough info to get some answers.

Thanks for your help

Craig

Kudos2 Stats

Re: 360 v3 Back Up Questions

Hi Craig -

Welcome to the forums!

I'll try to answer your questions in order however if I miss anything please feel free to ask again.

1.  Regarding where your backup data is going.  If you have selected backup go to the flash drive on the Where page in the backup configuration window then your backup data will actually go do a directory in the main root of the drive named:  N360_BACKUP.  The actual data is contained inside of this folder, so if you are seeing an incorrect size or number of files you may want to look at the amount of data that was actually backed up which leads to #2.

2.  The backup files that you are seeing under the Norton Backup Drive are actually not physically in Norton Backup Drive.  :)  The Norton Backup Drive is a virtual drive that will allow you to view, edit, restore, and delete the files in your backup from an alternate location than the main backup UI.  Since the file names are obfuscated in the previously mentioned N360_BACKUP folder on your flash drive in this case (as you could see if you navigated inside of the folder) the Norton Backup Drive is a place that this obfuscation is removed and allows a visual representation of your backup set.  This is where I would recommend you go to try to confirm the data that is actually backed up.  If you navigate inside the Norton Backup Drive you should be able to see your flash drive visible, and from there if you naviage in and see your backup set.  When you navigate inside of the backup set you should see the file system as you would expect for your configured backup files.

3.   Hopefully that has helped out with your previous answers, however if you still wish to stop using the backup feature you can go to the main Norton 360 UI and go to the Settings link at the top of the page.  From here you can uncheck Backup and Backup Status Overlays on the side bar.

Hope this helps.

John

Message Edited by John_Brockway on 07-20-2009 10:15 AM
John BrockwaySenior Software EngineerConsumer Products & SolutionsSymantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.