• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

360 v4 Backup path: cannot choose my USB HD as a destination

I cannot choose my external H: drive (USB drive) as a backup destination, even though it is seen and recognized as an option by the Backup interface.

I can click the box for the external drive, but Norton doesn't allow me to save it as a destination, or use it to back up my files. I get an error message ('Please choose a backup destination') - Well actually the message is in German since that's where I am.

As a result, 360v4 backs up to my C Drive, which  defeats the purpose of saving my data against a HD crash on my PC.

This is a BUG pure and simple. 

Windows XP SP2, all updates to Windows and to Norton 260v4.  This problem dates back to when I first downloaded and installed the new version, in Feb 2010.

I tried chat support. Incredibly, the chat support person asks me to download and run an .exe file which as far as I can tell from the URL path, is not  even on the symantec server!

What do I do?  Except give up on this Backup product?  It was always slow and difficult to use anyway.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 360 v4 Backup path: cannot choose my USB HD as a destination

Hi,

Try this:

1. Check whether the drive is shared or not. If the drive is not shared, right-click the drive, and then click Properties.
2. In the Properties window, on the Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing.
3. In the Advanced Sharing window, check Share this folder.
4. Provide full permission for the drive.
5. Map the shared drive as Network drive, and then assign a drive letter  for the drive, which is not used.
6. In the backup window, you may able to see two entries for the external drive (Network drive and the external drive).
7. Select the Network drive, and then run Backup.

Vineeth

Kudos0

Vineeth, why couldn't the user be permitted to select, "External Drive"?  I do not really understand this difference, since this user sensibly wants to create a backup onto an external hard drive.  Does this selection of "Shared" only apply to the specific externalhard drive or will it apply to hard drives which he tries to use for Norton 360 Backup purposes?

Kudos0

g_cafe_c wrote:

Vineeth, why couldn't the user be permitted to select, "External Drive"?  I do not really understand this difference, since this user sensibly wants to create a backup onto an external hard drive.  Does this selection of "Shared" only apply to the specific externalhard drive or will it apply to hard drives which he tries to use for Norton 360 Backup purposes?

The selection of Shared only apply to the specific external hard drive in this case. I am not sure whether this would work if he tries to back up to the external drive. I haven't tried this. Though he selects Network drive, he is actually backing up to the external drive. So if it works, we get the desired result.

Thanks!

Vineeth

Kudos0

Vinneth,

Thanks for the suggestion.  

The USB external Drive is indeed set as 'nicht freigegeben' which means something like 'access not permitted to an external user to protect against unauthorized use'.  This is as it should be.  C: is also set like this, which suggests this is not the reason for the problem.  360v4 has no issues backing up to C:

I could TRY doing what you suggest, but this is not a network issue (or shouldn't be) since the only network I run in my house is to the internet service through a router.  I don't want to start giving networks free access to my harddrives, not even once!

I DO want to backup MY files on MY hard drive.

I'm on the fence about whether I want to keep using this N360 software.  These offers to constantly scan my files, store them online, and analyse the contents of my hard drive makes me think this is just a backdoor way for a big corporation to gain access to sensitive personal data.  And for this I have to pay?  Norton should offer to pay me !

Regards

Kudos0

I should add that my last successful backup to this drive was before V4, ie., v3 I believe.  That suggests it is either a bug with v4, or a deliberate attempt to map my backup drives as freely accessible networks, which of course is a no-go from the consumer's perspective.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this is NOT a good development from the standpoint of protecting privacy online.

I repeat, I will not set my harddrives as network accessible, since theoretically, every time I'm online, I'm on a WAN and this, I assume, is a security risk.

Of course, it could be that the contents of my C: are already freely accessible,  in which case of course it is a matter of trust in the company and/my my internet service.

Kudos0

Hi,

You will be able to use your removal media as the back up destination with out any issues.

Please do not make it shared , as you said it would create more vulnerabilities .

Just try to create a new back up set , after that add some files on what to back up, then select a location on your hard drive or removable storage . Then click on run back up.

This is just to make sure that the program files of Norton is not corrupted , if it is corrupted you won't be able to run back up. If not back up will run, indicating Norton files are not corrupted .

Then go back to the manage back up, then try to run the previous back up set . Most probably you will be successfull .

After completing the back up, you can delete the back up set that we have created for testing purpose .

If this does not work, try reinstalling your Norton program.

Best Regards,

Sudheesh.K.S

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.