• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

360's firewall allows all??

Im reading that 360's firewall allows all for a two way firewall?

So how does this compare to nis 2010's?

Please help me understand so I know if I should go back to 2010nis before is expires on me.  Thanks :O)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 360's firewall allows all??

I wish I could answer your question but alas I dont understand it. A firewall by its nature does not allow all traffic to pass. I dont know what a 2 way firewall is - maybe bidirectional. Sorry I cant help, hopefully someone will be along with an answer.

Kudos1 Stats

artfreak:

So far as I know, N360 and NIS share the same firewall.  It does not allow everything, it is just quiet.  It does not ask you to make all the decisions.  What did you read, and where?

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

thank you :) I will be fine if 360 and nis run same one.  I read a comment somewhere n searching posts here that indicated its all open or something had me concerned.

Kudos0

Delpninium: youre always so helpful and I didnt read what you asked sorry, this is what led me to this question if I can post the link....its from the newly discovered for me (not as helpful as here by far!) comcast forum:

Im sorry the stupid link wont work...I think you have to be a member of comcst not sure. Its at comcast forums, under security on boards.

Someone asked why it allows all w/ firewall. amd asked why there is no in depth settings for this that a two way firewall should do more then this. thats my short version of thier question.

Thanks again. I cant click kudos for you why? Cant we kudo folks on our own posts?

Kudos0

Hi artfreak:

I suspect that since the Comcast folks were McAfee users, they are simply accustomed to different responses from their product.  They are suspicious of a product that they have not seen before, and a few are not happy with the change.  N360 was designed for inexperienced users that required protection without the tweaking that the rest of us engage in, so it is a very quiet product.

To them, it may well feel as if it is letting everything in, when in actual fact it is just going about its business.

The kudos button may be a bit erratic, and sometimes it seems unresponsive.  I've noticed it myself. Not to worry.  I appreciate the compliment more.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

delphinium - FYI:

Here is the post artfreak was referring to over at COMCAST:

I'll let the raging debate on Norton vs McAfee to go on elsewhere.  But, one feature I did like on the old firewall is that new applications were set to ASK on first attempt to use the network.  Norton defaults to ALLOW (which is pretty silly for a two-way firewall).  Allow justs lets any malware that does get through to phone home and/or spread.  Ask at least alerts me that something new wants to use the network.

So, Does anyone know how to configure Norton to default to ASK for the firewall?
 Thanks!

My response over there was:

Please click in this link:

About halfway down this page the reviewer starts to talk about changin settings in the firewall and also about the "ASK" popups.  Hopefully this will provide some assistance.

I do agree with your observation that former McAfee users may not be familiar with Norton's actions (or lack of apparent actions), because of it's "set it and forget it" approach.

Kudos0

HI Yank, I really appreciate your link to that article, Id not caught it on the other forum I just started reading but prob' wont read much because its full of complaints and not much help like here. the comcast forum.

I love your avatar over there tho' :) .

I know you cant help everyone there!  Its just flooded w/ problems.

Prob' because comcast sorta pushed the change out there on folks who have no understanding or care how to load such things.

My neighbor being one of them...she begged for help because she has no time to learn such things and couldnt load it to work. I feel for people who dont have the time I do to persist till its fig' out with help of folks like you. Plus pc stuff just isnt some folks "thing", makes it tough to own one I guess.

Thanks again.

Kudos0

Part of the issue is the interconnectedness of the security suite.  Any new application has been downloaded or installed from disc.  By the time it is fully installed, it has been scanned by auto protect, sonar, and Insight.  When you access the application and tell it to access the net, you can't really expect N360 to stop and ask if you really want to do that.  It assumes that you do.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.