• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

365 install halted by Windows update, popup blocking access to Norton screen

After a Windows update was forced on my laptop, it finally reached stabity today (after 2 months) after a saga finishing with a remote Microsoft help session.  It then had Windows 10 1903, instead of the preinstalled ver. 1809 that triggered that forced update.  However......

I've just been reinstalling Norton 360, saying 'yes' to it uninstalling the preinstalled McAfee program.  Completing that uninstall required a restart, which triggered a Windows update (despite having deferred them for 7 days, as before).

It restarted back on the home screen, with the Norton window still 'Starting uninstall of the selected product', but with an unclosable popup from MacAfee UI Host saying 'Navigation to the website was cancelled'.  I think it's only from their little 'Reason for leaving us?' popup, and think it is uninstalled.N

If Norton's screen has a Pause button it's behind the McAffee popup.  I can still see Norton's Cancel button, though - should I use it, and start again from scratch in the morning?  (20 minutes to bedtime now in this house!).

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 365 install halted by Windows update, popup blocking access to Norton screen

I'm leaving the laptop on overnight - think it's safer to avoid another startup complicating things just now!  (Computers usually go off for the night here as it's open-plan, but I've discovered this one has a screen dimming button!).  And it seemed best to leave the windows as they are (complete with Norton's 'busy' circle).  The display's set not to turn off in any circumstances except shut down/restart (first thing I did on booting normally after creating a restore point, in case of complications, along with disabling Quick Start).

Kudos0

Re: 365 install halted by Windows update, popup blocking access to Norton screen

Hello Border Post. CANCEL Norton via Task Manager. Next. Download the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool. Please use this McAfee webpage as a guide. This tool should remove ALL remnants of that product. A restart will be in order. Lets see how the system reacts after this is accomplished. 

Next, to ensure your Windows image / installation is in good health perform the following DISM command:

Repair a Windows Image

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-error...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/re...

Please post back with your results so we can follow up. DO NOT reinstall your Norton product until you have performed DISM.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 2004 / build 19041.508 / N-360 Deluxe 22.20.5.39 / Norton Core v.200827_317 on Android 2.28.01 / Opera GX LVL2 (core: 68.0.3618.206) w/Chrome Extensions
Kudos0

Thank you Soul Asylum!

I don't know which (if any) of the following is relevant;

To access Task Manager, I would have had to shut down or restart, as everything on the  screen was unresponsive (unless Norton's Cancel button would have worked, but not a good time for trial-and-error!).  And I don't know how to do a restart (or shut down properly) when the laptop's in a blue screen or other freeeze (or if it's even possible?).

I'm new to HP computers, and to Windows 10 (upgraded straight from 2007 Packard Bell desktop & notebook with Vista, and had no time to get used to anything before the first forced update banjaxed things).  The only way I know of to get out of a freeze is to shut down with the physical power button, then boot into recovery options and select safe mode/ditto with networking.  I found and printed out a list of HP keyboard shortcuts, (from my phone), but don't feel I can trust it after finding that Alt+F4 was not 'Close this Iweb page', but Shut Down'.  And that has no effect during my freezes (same with Win+X and even old friend CTRL-Alt-Del).  

Things changed slightly overnight, in that this morning I found the screen blue, with the same WHEA uncorrectable error that's been familiar since mid July.  I presume it's as before, with no performance problems, no hardware faults, no problem items in Device Manager apart from the things that aren't available from Safe Mode, and event history pointing to 2 or 3 driver conflicts.  I've seen more than one slight variation; this time it's doing the 'just collecting some error info', 100% complete (of what stage, I don't know), and 'we'll restart for you'.  (But how?).

A popup appeared before yesterday's unintended restart, announcing 6 updates.  My phone photo of it shows 2 Windows updates 'pending restart' (I'll find out more about those between using the phone for other things).  4 items were 'pending install'; 2 HP software components, an Intel item and a Synaptics one.

Kudos0

Restart, and go into recovery with networking again. Download that tool, see if you can run it. Or download it on another computer to a USB thumb drive and execute from there. Then run DISM, you should be able to do both. Also, IF, you are using an Admin account for doing all this, and you should be. IF, that account is with Microsoft login credentials you can reset the PC and not have to worry about activation of Windows again as it will be tied digitally to you Microsoft account. At this point, I don't think worrying over losing your installed programs and data is relevant. Your boot sector MBR record has been modified. Try recovery and running the tool first.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 2004 / build 19041.508 / N-360 Deluxe 22.20.5.39 / Norton Core v.200827_317 on Android 2.28.01 / Opera GX LVL2 (core: 68.0.3618.206) w/Chrome Extensions
Kudos0

So far so good.  I Ieft the laptop on (still on the blue screen) till yesterday evening when I went to try getting into Safe Mode but it had turned itself off (low battery - forgot to re-connect power after moving it).  Turned it on this morning and it booted into normal mode, where it still is (using it now - first time in 4 years since having a screen bigger than my phone!).

So I don't know if it would have succeeded in Safe Mode, but have now used McAfee's removal tool.  It went smoothly and I can find no obvious trace of anything McAfee.  I then ran DISM (using the instructions under the heading 'Fix Windows Update Errors.....'), and as far as I can tell it's declared things healthy.  I took a couple of photos if you'd like to see them, but it said that the restore operation completed successfully, and that no component store corruption was detected.  Should I now go to 'Repair a Windows Image', or is the job done in this case?

There's still a shortcut on the home screen to the Norton installation files (5 files) - should I still install using them, or should I remove them and start again from scratch?

No worries about data (no time to use it for anything before the first BSOD), and I only got as far as installing Firefox!

It looks as if Windows Updates has calmed down a bit.  I was a bit puzzled about the updates that triggered the original BSOD in July, as they seemed to be targeted at version 1903 instead of my preinstalled one, which was 1809.  It's just speculation, but I suspect the issues in it confused the update system.  (I discovered later that it was causing so many problems that MS pulled it after 4 days (and took 2 or 3 weeks to release 1809 Mk2).  The next update advanced the laptop by one version to 1903, and the next to 1909.  (Perhaps 2004 will have been improved enough by the time MS decides this system's ready!). 

Kudos0

Good news indeed. Thanks for posting back. Glad hearing it reported the restore was successful. Yes, just delete those Norton installation files sitting on the desktop. Don't reuse them as them could be corrupted and are more likely out of date.

Indeed, run the DISM here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/re...

Run this command from an elevated command prompt (run as admin) 

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

That should replace any corrupted files that may have been damaged.

I would defer getting version 2004 for a bit and run windows update and ensure that you have all the updates and patches on the system. The final thing to do would be reinstall your Norton product. Reinstall it from your Norton account. Make sure you have fast startup DISABLED before installing Norton as the setting can cause issues with Norton installation as well as other software. Here is how to disable it.