• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

3rd Time - Error 8504, 101

This is the Third time, I got this error

This happened after the Windows Update of March 10.

Oct 2014 1st time: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-security-did-not-update-firefox-toolbar

Jan 2015 2nd time: https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6149471

Norton Security
8504, 101
BucketID: D6E6E3EF
Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
9600.17668.amd64fre.winblue_r8.150127-1500
Norton Autofix Results: 1 item(s)
Installation :: Failed

The solution is still the same. Use the Norton removal tool and re-install. This needs to be fixed. I don't think it relates to Firefox since that last update to the Tool went well.

Passing this along. showing that I am getting this issue pop up after couple of months or so.

~I am still at a lost who I really am but by going deep into the jungles I can unlock my secret past.Sony VAIO VPCF136FM; Windows 10 Professional x64; 8 GB RAM; Intel i7 Quad (1st Gen) @ 1.73 GHz (Boast to 2.83 GHz) Norton Security - Stopped Running since v22.5.2.15

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 3rd Time - Error 8504, 101

Although after reinstalling the product you no longer saw the error, you may not have had to reinstall to get the same result.

Did you try just restarting your computer when you saw this error. An issue with Windows 8/8.1 is the Fast Start feature. With this enabled, you never actually get a full shutdown, which is needed by Norton, and other programs, every once in a while to fully update itself. See this information from Windows Eight Forums on how to turn off this feature. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-...

The clearing of temp and Prefetch folders solved your problem from the first link you gave. Did you try that this time?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Will I quite happy the removal tool and the install process went really fast.

Now, Things are working but I will check out your link when it happens again. I think restart does a full shutdown and boot.
I checked your link and find this note:
The fast startup setting doesn't apply to Restart.

So I don't think that applies to this issue. I should of cleared the temp and prefetch folders but I think the Norton Tech person did that so I don't remember how to clear it.

Next Time I will follow your advice.

~I am still at a lost who I really am but by going deep into the jungles I can unlock my secret past.Sony VAIO VPCF136FM; Windows 10 Professional x64; 8 GB RAM; Intel i7 Quad (1st Gen) @ 1.73 GHz (Boast to 2.83 GHz) Norton Security - Stopped Running since v22.5.2.15
Kudos0

Try to reinstall program

Kudos0

After installing Windows 8.1 March 10 updates I also ran into this error. My experience today:

1. attempt: I removed and reinstalled NSBU 22.1.0.9. I ran a live update which needed two patches to be confirmed. After restart NSBU was not started and I again got the 8504, 101 error.

2. attempt: I again removed and reinstalled NSBU 22.1.0.9. I DID NOT run live update. NSBU now runs fine after restart.

So it seems that one of the new NSBU patches causes the error.

Regards

Kudos0

Hi sevin,

"Windows 8.1 March 10 updates" - does this refer to Windows Update?

If so is it possible one of those Windows updates in fact caused the conflict with the latest NSBU update?

If you are referring to the Patch via LiveUpdate yesterday, it was for Chrome and some minor IE, FF situations with Yahoo.

BTW, where did you obtain the installation for NSBU 22.1.0.9 from?

Kudos1 Stats

maxknux:

Will I quite happy the removal tool and the install process went really fast.

Now, Things are working but I will check out your link when it happens again. I think restart does a full shutdown and boot.
I checked your link and find this note:
The fast startup setting doesn't apply to Restart.

So I don't think that applies to this issue. I should of cleared the temp and prefetch folders but I think the Norton Tech person did that so I don't remember how to clear it.

Next Time I will follow your advice.

Open Windows Explorer. Try clearing all Windows temp files. Then find the Windows/Prefetch folder and delete all the files in that folder. These files help Windows load programs quickly. They will be recreated when Windows is restarted.

Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Restart the computer once more. The first restarts may take a little longer as the Prefetch files are recreated.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi yank,

I downloaded the NSBU 22.1.0.9 installer directly from my Norton account.

Rgds

Kudos0

yank:

Hi sevin,

"Windows 8.1 March 10 updates" - does this refer to Windows Update?

If so is it possible one of those Windows updates in fact caused the conflict with the latest NSBU update?

If you are referring to the Patch via LiveUpdate yesterday, it was for Chrome and some minor IE, FF situations with Yahoo.

BTW, where did you obtain the installation for NSBU 22.1.0.9 from?

...and the answer to the remaining questions are?

Kudos0

Hi yank,

I had 27 Windows 8.1 updates installed at once, so it is hard to say which one caused the problem. I have not installed the two patches NSBU Live Update finds now, but one of them is causing the problem definitely as NSBU 22.1.0.9 without patches runs stable and survived a few restarts.

Kudos0

sevin:

Hi yank,

I had 27 Windows 8.1 updates installed at once, so it is hard to say which one caused the problem. I have not installed the two patches NSBU Live Update finds now, but one of them is causing the problem definitely as NSBU 22.1.0.9 without patches runs stable and survived a few restarts.

Understand 27 windows updates.  Also please understand that if one of those updates conflicts with one of the new NSBU updates, then it is possible that removing the one Windows Update that is causing the situation may permit the install of the two patches.

Can you tell us which two patches you received from Norton that you believe caused the situation?  You can check the History for the LiveUpdate that gave you the patches and see if you can locate the content of the patches.

BTW, how are you stopping the LiveUpdate from running?

Kudos0

Hi Yank,

I have probably lost the history of the Live Update as I removed and reinstalled NSBU. Where do I find it?

At my first installation I ran Live Update a few times. It asked me two times if I wanted to apply the patch downloaded.

At this time I didn't run Live Update manually. I have no means to stop it if it automatically installs those two patches. Then I am in trouble again.

The version I have downloaded from my account was in a folder named "{NSBU221009-SHPD-FSD50064}" (in German).

Rgds

Kudos0

Yes, I believe once the product is removed, the history is cleared and I do not recall seeing the history in any folder.

I'm afraid the auto LiveUpdate may have downloaded the patches and are awaiting you to reboot before they are applied.  Have you rebooted since the last install of NSBU?

Kudos0

The reboot thing seems to work .... but this is not a fix.  I get the red flag weekly to indicate my antivirus is 'NOT RUNNING' .... and the reason I have Windows 8.1 is due to the "fast startup" function.  Norton and Microsoft need to work together to address this...more specifically Norton...or I want my money back.  I have no idea whether my antivirus is truly working at any time until I get the red flag in Action Center...which I choose to ignore most of the time. 

Kudos0

buckaroobonzai:

The reboot thing seems to work .... but this is not a fix.  I get the red flag weekly to indicate my antivirus is 'NOT RUNNING' .... and the reason I have Windows 8.1 is due to the "fast startup" function.  Norton and Microsoft need to work together to address this...more specifically Norton...or I want my money back.  I have no idea whether my antivirus is truly working at any time until I get the red flag in Action Center...which I choose to ignore most of the time.

I am not a Windows 8 user and I have seen more problems with the Fast startup enabled, than with it disabled.  Can you explain what you mean by the info I bolded in your quoted post?   I am really curious, as I must be missing something.

Kudos0

Hi yank,

I now rebooted 5 times in 3 days and it still works. Where do I find the history to see if any patches have been applied?

Rgds

Kudos0

sevin - from NSBU main page > Security > History > down arrow behind Recent History > Scroll down and select LiveUpdate >  Double left click on an entry and it will open showing what was downloaded.  If more than one item it will have a + sign by the number of Total Updates Applied and clicking it will expand it to show the names of the updates.

Kudos0

Hi @maxknux,

Do try out the steps in our KB document: Error: "8504,101" appears on my Norton product and let us know if it helps resolve your issue.

Thanks

Thanks, Kumar

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.