• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

82,10MB Norton SDS Definitions update after 541,74KB failed ?

So i was among the few that had difficulties updating last night (see that thread).

This morning i started LiveUpdate and on 4 updates, 3 succeeded and 1 failed. The failed update was the Norton SDS Definitions X64 and was only 541,74KB. So i started LiveUpdate again and this time the update succeeded but was 82,10MB .

I've checked on my other computer (same OS, same version of Norton Security) and the update completed and was only 541,74KB. There is no 82,10MB update.

So I'm just curious as how from a small update of less than a megabytes the same update can weight more than 80MB ?

My guess is that as it failed to update the definitions it downloaded the whole database again, but i just wanted to have your opinion.

I use Norton Security 22.8.1.14 on Windows 10 AU.

Here are some screenshots:

Thanks a lot

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: 82,10MB Norton SDS Definitions update after 541,74KB failed ?

@RoadRashWolfenstein:

personally, that's normal; what's more important is the downloaded updates have been applied with success.

More, you had better disable fast startup in your 10 - this helps avoid unnecessary troubles/errors.

For more info, you may Chat with Norton Support.

Please post back if this or any other comment solves your problem. THX...

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos2 Stats

RoadRashWolfenstein:

My guess is that as it failed to update the definitions it downloaded the whole database again, but i just wanted to have your opinion.

That is exactly right.  LiveUpdate always checks to make sure that existing definitions files are complete and not corrupted.  If any sort of problem is found, LiveUpdate will download a new, full definitions file.  

Kudos1 Stats

Hello RoadRashWolfenstein: Yes it's an artifact that LU deletes previous older protection data before it checks the integrity of doing its job. You are lucky to have a fast connection, I'm on dial-up. There is a "network Cost Awareness" Feature/setting (settings -- firewall ) Restore to previous state is a user-steps-process that Norton does not document nor disclose, (if they even know how, which I doubt). The Dreaded LU FAIL or the at last check months ago was over half a gig. The Shotgun Method - Un-install re-download and re-install is smaller. LU dates from the '90's. RollBack (to previous working state) can be done, I repeat, can be done using Proprietary Protocol & Software.from local outboard stored copy. The user has to do the dancing.

The forum editing tool is absent again.

Kudos0

Thanks for the answer and the tip about Fast Startup. Indeed the update was installed successfully so it's good 

Kudos0

Thanks a lot ! That's exactly what i wanted to know ! I'm tech savvy and i like to know how my stuff works. It's actually a cool feature that Norton got there, i'm impressed.

Have a nice day 

Kudos0

Wow, diap-up internet connection is really outdated. I honestly wasn't even sure it still existed. I hope you'll have a better internet connection soon so that you can fully enjoy the web.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to answer me and have a nice day 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.