• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

8920, 208 error - Web protection Definitions & Hub Wont Update after Win 10 upgrade

I just upgraded from Win 7 to Windows 10.  Have been running NIS flawlessly on Win 7 for several years.  Now after the upgrade to Win 10, the Web Protection Definitions and Web Protection Definitions (Hub) fail to update every time I run a Live Update.  I rebooted the machine.  Same problem.  I used the Norton Remove and Reinstall. Same Problem.  I use the Norton Removal Tool and then reinstalled fresh.  Same problem.  Anyone else having the same problem?  Any solutions?

[Edit: clarified subject]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 8920, 208 error - Web protection Definitions & Hub Wont Update after Win 10 upgrade

I've had this happen on my two machines as well.  Restart you machine and try again in an hour or so.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Re: 8920, 208 error - Web protection Definitions & Hub Wont Update after Win 10 upgrade

Have restarted.  Have also shut down completely and waited an hour or so. Still have same error 8920,208.  Web Protection Definition (and Hub) won't update.  I noticed on the second reinstall (did once with Remove & Reinstall tool and once with Norton removal tool) that the error only reappeared when I initialized the Norton Toolbar in Internet Explorer.  I wonder if the error has to do with a combination of Norton, IE and Win 10?

Kudos0

Hi @Mike Krenz,

I have sent you a private message with steps to collect logs. Can you please take a look at it when you get a chance? Thanks.

Gayathri Rajendiran
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Same problem here on my desktop PC and laptop. Running the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool fixes it - but only until the PC is shut down. Next bootup, same LiveUpdate errors. Running the Intelligent updater tool does not fix it. I really don't want to have to run the RnR tool every time I want updated Definitions.

Kudos0

Hi @scubaboy,

Are you seeing error 8920,208, as well? 

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Yes, 8920, 208.

Kudos0

Would you be able to send me logs? I have sent you a private message with the instructions. Thank you.

Gayathri Rajendiran
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

I am having the same issues.  I just upgraded to Windows 10 and the problem began almost immediately.  I do not recall any problems like this with Windows 7.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

Kudos0

Hi Steve,

Could you please check your inbox please? Thank you.

-Gayathri

Kudos0

I have Windows 10 on my computer and have the new version of Nortons that is supposed to be compatible with Windows 10.

When running Live Update I get Process Updates Failed to Complete and the error code 8920 and 208.   I have used the NRnR Tool to uninstall and reinstall three or four times and the Live Update will work a while and then shortly afterwards will get the same error codes as above again.   Getting really frustrated with Nortons.

Kudos0

Kudos0

Thanks, but this isn't the issue.  If I run the RNR Tool (or removal tool), everything updates fine with live-update until either (1) a reboot of the machine or (2) Norton plug-in activates with IE.

Kudos0

Out of curiosity I tried the Intelligent Updater.  Virus definitions updated.  Ran live update, same exact error about the web definitions and hub not being able to update.

Kudos0

I have two computers with the this error and I have tried the NRnR Tool, The Removal Tool, The Intelligent Updater, and have spent 3 hours chatting with someone who did removal in Safe Mode and Reinstall and I am still getting the errors.   I am getting ready to do the SymNRA Logs for someone who private messaged me.   Hope someone comes up with a solution soon.   Getting really frustrated.

Kudos0

I installed Windows 10. Norton had issues. I used the Norton Website to get the suggested fix. The suggested fix was to remove Norton using the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool. Windows 10 then totally crashed. I had to perform a complete reinstall of Windows 10. I am now using AVG Internet Security 2015. I am definitely afraid to put Norton back on to my Toshiba Laptop running Windows 10.

The Norton issues are as follows:

July 13, 2015 at 06:18 am

Norton 360

8920, 208                      

BucketID: 0EB1CB4B

Windows 8.1

9600.17736.amd64fre.winblue_r9.150322-1500

Norton Autofix Results: 0 item(s)

July 13, 2015 at 11:06 am

Norton 360

8920, 208

Windows 8.1

July 17, 2015 at 06:13 CDT

Norton 360

8920, 208

Windows 8.1

July 22, 2015

Same error and another install. Norton has a big problem.

July 28, 2015 at 0938 CDT

Norton 360

8920, 208

BucketID: 720AFA60

Windows 8.1

Norton has big problems. Someone in support is NOT doing their job. This same error keeps surfacing.

July 29, 2015

Norton is still failing.

Norton 360

8920, 208

BucketID: 720AFA60

Windows 8.1

July 30, 2015 at 7:20 PM MST

Norton 360

8504, 104

BucketID: AB381C7E

Windows 10 Home

10240.16393.amd64fre.th1_st1.150717-1719

Kudos0

I'm using norton on 3 machines with winX and no issues except one wouldn't activate, had to delete all traces of norton and reinstall and problem solved.  

Kudos0

hi Arthur

I appreciate your concern.

I have Windows 10 on two Toshiba Laptops, both Home & Pro versions with Norton Security with Backup, I have also upgraded my Surface Pro 2 to Windows 10. All running much better than previously with Windows 7/8.1.

Perhaps if you let us know which Norton you have and describe the problems you were having the Forums users may be able to help.

FWIW - Both Norton 22.5.2.15 and Windows 10 appear to need a few days to settle down, it's almost like they are learning for a few days to see what is going on with the device. I had a couple of little niggles for a day or two but these have disappeared. Additionally Windows have sent some updates down the line which seems to have helped.

Michael

Kudos0

If you look at the post I made you will see the information that Norton logged. That is all the information I have. I used the Norton 360 suggested fixes and the fixes crashed my Windows 10 computer.

I will NOT put Norton back onto my computer that has Windows 10 installed until I hear directly from Norton. It seems that Norton Support has no interest in helping me. I have tried multiple times to e-mail them. Their web site is very difficult to use. I would expect a 21st Century Software Company to have a better support structure.

It appears that Norton logged the errors I reported because their error message allowed me to copy the error. That is what you see in my post above. Did you read the logged errors? What gives here? The Norton Recovery Procedures also has problems?

It cost me over a day to recover my system. I cannot afford another crash caused by Norton. Windows 10 worked fine until I tried to fix the Norton error by doing exactly what the Norton web site asked me to do because of the Norton reported error logged in my first post. Norton was also having problems on Windows 8.1 on my Toshiba Laptop. I kept reinstalling Norton by doing a clean wipe and reinstalling on Windows 8.1. Doing the same thing on Windows 10 was a disaster for me. Never again.

Sorry Norton, you do not measure up at this time. Maybe in the future.

Kudos0

how did you email them? if you click "contact us" on the support page, email isn't an option.

you are directed to the forums (here), phone, or live chat.

Kudos0

hi Arthur

This is a Forum where other users give advice and assistance where possible, I don't read error logs and was asking for a little information on what happened, perhaps another user who can read logs will arrive in the forum to help you. There are a small number of Norton employees who attend the Forum to sort out problems.

Norton 22.5.2.15 is compatible and works well with Windows 10 for many users but there will always be problems with any software.

Perhaps there is something else installed on your device which conflicts with Norton, I have had 20 years of trouble free computing with Norton on numerous devices and O/S.

If you want Official Support you can contact Norton by telephone and online chat.

Michael 

Kudos0

official norton support does monitor this forum and participate, that's how I got my problem fixed yesterday. never had to call, open a ticket, or anything special

Kudos0

I keep having an issue with my Norton product. It will not update. It says the updates failed to complete. Norton Autofix says Norton Internet Security Online encountered an error 8920, 203.

Kudos0

Having the same issue with my Laptop as of now.

Kudos0

@Arthur Howard, I've sent you a private message with some information on creating and gathering logs for us. If possible, please upload those logs and reference this forum thread in your upload. Thanks.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

@jessewilliams, 8920,203? Or 208?

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

8920, 208

Kudos0

Just reverted back to Win7, and now all works again.  I was having issue after issue with Win10 ... Norton ... IE ... Adobe ... webcam ... you name it.  Warning ... rolling back to Win7 makes you reinstall a bunch of software.  3 hours later I have a stable machine again.

Kudos0

Lately I've noticed that my Norton anti-virus won't update, automatically or manually. When I try to manually update it, it gets stuck on "processing" and even letting it go for an hour or more doesn't help. 

I've used the Norton uninstall tool and uninstalled and reinstalled my Norton anti-virus TWO times and it doesn't seem to fix it. It will only update immediately after I reinstall and then go back to not updating.

Now I'm also getting an error: 8504, 104. 

Any help is much appreciated. 

Kudos0

Okay. I had Malwarebytes Premium installed and I uninstalled it and then Norton, then reinstalled Norton. Now updating works.

Is it possible that Malwarebytes Premium is now incompatible with Norton?? 

Kudos0

hi Krissy1

It is quite possible but they have worked quite well together in the past.

There are exclusions in each program you can make to help the matter unfortunately, I do not now which settings to make.

There is somebody who uses the forum who knows what to do so hopefully they will visit you thread and offer some advice. Sorry I can't help but the advice they gave was last year sometime and I don't remember it nor where the thread is.

Having said that a fresh install of each may sort the problem you have been having. 

Michael

Kudos0

Sorry. What I meant is I could not e-mail support. As a new user of this forum I have discovered that Norton Support monitors problems reported here. I am currently in a private conversation with Norton Support working on a resolution. There are no logs of the problem since my system crashed. Stay tuned for additional updates.

Kudos0

I finally got mine to update.

Other Problems with Windows 10: One computer won't sleep at times. When booting in Safe Mode with Networking on all 3 computers, Networking doesn't work.

Kudos0

@Tony_Weiss,

I've just had these two updates fail again and at the same time the Norton Toolbar disappeared from Firefox [two Win10 x64 machines].  After a restart both Web Protection Definitions & Web Protection Definitions (Hub) successfully installed.  On opening FF the toolbar was back but on one machine I had to re-enable it.

Thanks.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

I've had the same problem with my desktop PC since upgrading to windows 10 (8920, 208 error - Web protection Definitions & Hub)  but my Laptop works fine, re-installed Norton 5 times on my Desktop and had Norton Help desk on it yesterday for over two hours but still wont update these two files, strange thing is though? it updates all others which makes me wonder if there is something in windows 10 Microsoft Edge that's stopping these web and hub definitions being loaded? I've checked the Edge options against my Laptop and they are identical. Hope this is sorted soon Ref: Norton Critically critical comment on both files.

Kudos0

TERENCE WEEKS:  I've checked the Edge options against my Laptop and they are identical.

Please see Norton and Windows 10 info regarding compatibility with Edge browser > https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v107701320

Kudos0

Was still getting error with IE set as default browser.  I really think this is a Win10 issue.  Adobe Acrobat didn't work either with IE when running Win10.  However, when I reverted back to Win7, everything worked perfectly again. 

Kudos0

I have this same error 8920,208 when trying to run Live Update! Started this morning after upgrading to Windows 10 also the Extension for Firefox for the Norton Toolbar has been removed. Now I tried uninstalling Norton and reinstalling it and it was fine for awhile then I restarted my laptop and it started again. Really at a lose for words on this one.

Kudos0

Today Liveupdate failed installing updates, worked perfectly yesterday. I have added each program to the other's exclusion list. I have Malwarebytes premium & NS w/ BU. Win 10pro.
Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos0

bjm_:
TERENCE WEEKS:  I've checked the Edge options against my Laptop and they are identical.

Please see Norton and Windows 10 info regarding compatibility with Edge browser > https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v107701320

Hi bjm_,

FWIW... 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows_10/edge-is-obviously-still-a-disfunctional-toy-why/b8128111-861b-4580-b92a-17f36a816e12

Cheers!
John

Kudos0

No answer yet from Norton staff, but perhaps they filed away my issue because I reverted back to Win7. 

I did notice Norton put out a patch in the last two days. Wonder if this is to address any of these issues? 

Wish I could share a solution, but don't have one other than reverting back to Win7.

Kudos0

Having the same issue on my notebook.  2 other desktops are running fine.  Currently running NIS 22.5.2.15.  Have tried all the Norton suggested fixes.  After re-install NIS updates work fine until a reboot, than fail again.

WHEN WILL NORTON FIX THIS?

I have 3 machines running this and will have to renew my subscription soon.  Will not unless this is fixed.  Other options out there!

Kudos0

Have the same issue.

Problem Definition

Norton Security will liveupdate everything except Norton Web Protection Definitions or Norton Web Protection Definitions (hub).  Error 8920, 208 after running Norton Autofix.  

Three Norton tech support chat (remote control) sessions later and no solution.  The three approaches used by the techs were:

1. Manually clean up the existing install
  2. Run the intelligent updater
  3. Uninstall/reinstall using the NRnR (Norton Removal & Uninstall Tool)

Liveupdate will then run until the computer is rebooted at which time error 8920, 208 appears in regards to failure to update the Norton Web Protection Definitions + (hub).  Shutdowns or restarts make no difference. Switching default web browsers from Microsoft Edge to the ones supported by Norton makes no difference (Chrome etc.)

System Setup

• Windows 7 Ultimate upgraded to Windows 10 Pro
  • NIS version 22.5.2.15
  • Edge or Chrome browsers set as default (makes no difference)

Happy to supply logs to Symantec.

Kudos0

The hot patch that was put out yesterday took care of my problem! I would suggest to do a manual Live Update and you will notice it will update everything but the Web Def  and such. Then make sure that you click on apply and let Norton do it's thing. Or at least it worked for me after the Hotpatch my problems where taken care of (or at least for now).

Kudos0

@retspoon Glad the patch fixed it for you.  Unfortunately having applied the hot patch yesterday the problem still occurs for myself.  Did a complete uninstall/reinstall using the NRnR program, then applied the patch and still the same issue.

Kudos0

Mine won't update again. Error 8920, 208. It applied Norton Virus Definitions x64, but won't apply Norton Web Protection Definitions or Norton Web Protection Definitions (hub).

Kudos0

I am having the exact same problems.   Was chatting with tech support and he uninstalled and reinstalled Norton Security and everything was fine until reboot and then the error was back.

Kudos0

Hi jeanniespc, I've got  the same problem, (see my Post 9th August) as you write it works fine until the reboot then back to square one. I've reverted my Desktop back to Windows 7 and the two definition files downloaded successfully. I guess i'll just have to watch this space!! :-)

Kudos0

Hi @jessewilliams, @jeanniespc & @TERENCE WEEKS,

I have sent you a private message requesting more info on the issue. Please check it when you get a chance. Thanks.

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Sunil_GA, I have replied to your message.

Kudos0

A roll back to Win 7 solved the problem for me.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.