• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

About 2009

Alright, this is my first time trying a norton product since... Like.. 2002..  As I imagined, a lot has changed.

Up until today, i've been using another firewall program, until I bought Norton internet Security 2009 (As a result of a security issue which made me decide, I need something better then just a freeware firewall). So after some system lockups at startup, and the dread of having to part with my previous firewall, I've finally installed Norton Internet Security 2009 (Which by the way may I say looks much more therough than what I was previously using). 

So I log online to check a few things, and opened a few programs on the side (games, chatting, etc etc), only to be jumped by "windows firewall notification" that my browser, chatting and game programs are trying to connect to the internet. However, the Norton 2009 Security interface says the norton firewall and protection (so on and so fourth) is functional. 

So I asked myself "why would I be getting windows firewall notifications if I should be protected by norton, shoudnt I be getting some sort of norton notification?".

Which made me curious, is norton internet security  2009 doing its job? When I used my previous firewall program, I never had any notification at all from windows, it was always a programm access check by my prior. Norton somewhat intimidates me, when i checked my firewall internet settings, it looks much more complex then the simpler firewalls i've seen in the past.

Is this how my system and notifications should be acting? Do I need to turn windows firewall off for the norton firewall to work? You will have to pardon me, I've always had someone else in the household help me out before, but since they moved out, i have been left without anyone to speak to about this matter.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: About 2009

The reason this is happening to you is that sometime before when you uninstalled a previous security setup the repository folder got messed up. This is normal. I have tried practically every security setup out there and are familiar with this issue. Usually the security center services doesn't get affected. If you Google Windows Security Center issues you will find tons of articles on this.
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NATBehavior Analysis = ThreatfireOn Demand = MBAM
Kudos0

Alright Diesel, I am curious though.

According to your instructions, I am supposed to turn OFF security center, and WMI, delete my repository, THEN turn WMI back on, but it says nothing about security center. Do I want to turn security center back on also before I reboot?

Kudos0

Also, do I want to remove the checkmarks in security center that says "monitor it myself", for my AV and FW?
Kudos0

And I should uninstall NIS, then run the remover tool, before doing either of these, right? Or would it be safe to do this with NIS still installed? Wouldnt keeping NIS just continue to trick the repository?
Kudos0

Whenever you are instructed to use the N.R.T., please Run it twice.
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

is there a reason I run NRT twice?
Kudos1 Stats

Sc4m wrote:
is there a reason I run NRT twice?
Yes; to make sure all Files of the Norton Product are Fully-Removed.
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Well, theres good news and theres badnews.

Heres what I did..

1. First I uninstalled norton (for the umpteenth time) *reboot*

2. Ran the removal tool *reboot*

3. Tool again *reboot*

4. Removed the "monitor myself" checkmarks in the firewall/antivirus.

5. Did a repository (Diesel's instructions, this time with an "startup:automatic" security center)

6. re-installed NIS2009

Now, as a result of doing it in this order, with these services Security Center, and WMI, both re-activated AFTER my repository (Which previously my security center was disabled somehow).

Norton is NOW showing up in my security center, as well as firewall, all three dots are green.

Good news, my computer finally recognizes norton.

Bad news, now that this problem is solved, there is little reason to continue this topic.

Thank you everyone, for having patience with me.. It only took us 3 days, and 100+ replies, over a period of what... 10,11 pages, to get this all sorted out. HAH.. This is one for the books.

Lets all make a note of this, incase this ever happens again in the future, to anyone here on the fourms.

Kudos1 Stats

Glad I could help you. Now you know before installing any new security porgrams uninstall your exsisting ones first.
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NATBehavior Analysis = ThreatfireOn Demand = MBAM
Kudos0

Yes, Diesel, I wasnt sure what to do. It SEEMS my roomie had an antivirus, but not the secuirty suite, running, in 2008. The Zone Alarm, coupled with NaV2008. I wasnt sure what to expect when I bought NIS2009, considering there was a security issue once upon a time with zone alarm, and the subscription for my NaV2008 was almost gone.

Now, I need to learn how to work this firewall, the zone alarm was very simple, it was all about program control, and being in stealth mode (though sometimes running the zone alarm while other games were playing, over the internets, caused them to have pauses and skips, I judged zone alarm was the cause of this, because it didnt happen at all when I played the games without my firewall. Will I have to disable norton firewall also, to play the multiplayer games on the internets, without the same problem?)

Message Edited by Sc4m on 11-02-2008 06:11 AM
Kudos0

No you do not have to disable the firewall when playing games. You didn't have to disable Zone Alarm either. With Zone Alarm there is a Gamer Mode. You should never have to disable your security when playing games. I am a big pc gamer myself. I play WOW,BF2,BF2142,C&C3,ORANGE BOX and several others. Now here comes the fun. Unlocking NIS 20099 and see its power. Open up NIS and click on the "settings" next tom Internet. Now click on Advanced under Smart Firewall. Then move the slider to off for Automatic Program Control and then turn on Advanced Event Monitoring. Now you will get alerts from NIS to allow or block programs. You will also get keylogger warnings and other alerts. Just allow them for your games.
Kudos0

When I play UT2004 and UT3 NIS kicks in with keylogger warnings. Its rather cool knowing your security works. I have several tests you can also try.
Kudos0

Ah, so then this should make it similar to the zone alarm? I may find a place in my heart for NIS yet :D
Kudos0

Which Zone Alarm? Free,Pro,Antivirus or Anti Spyware? Like I said you didnt have to disable Zone Alarm to play games.
Kudos0

I dont know which version it was. My roomie set it up. But it made my games skip about here and there when I played on the net. it is long gone now.
Kudos0

Ok well there are 2 things. Zone Alarm takes up way too much memory. About 48K to be exact. Also like I said there is the gamer mode which you could have enabled. That's off topic. If you look at your taskmanager you will see that NIS 2009 is using only about 8K of memory. Extremely  way less so your games will not skip. You can also manually add your games exe's to NIS. What games do you play?
Kudos0

Counterstrike, neverwinter nights (1+2 - NWN2 jumps, even in single player mode, every 2 seconds theres a small moment of skipping), Faeland, Gunz, Bloodlines (not online but it has been known to jump when I play offline), Diablo, Diablo 2. There are others, but I have little problem with them, considering, I have yet to try any games since NIS2009 was installed.
Kudos0

If you click on C.P.U. Usage, you can Turn On Silent Mode which stops all Background Tasks while you play your games.  It also has Sensors to Detect a Full-Screen Program which will trigger Silent Mode Automatically.
Kudos0

I'm glad you have your setup as you and others like to have it but I would comment on one thing:

<< Good news, my computer finally recognizes norton. >>

IMO that statement needs modification to read << Good news, Windows on my computer finally recognizes norton. >>

There is a big difference as I see it since the important thing is not whether Windows says it knows you have Norton (or any other security system) but whether your security system recognizes your computer and is working correctly -- and this Norton has done regardless of whether Windows says so or not. That is why Microsoft says "does not see all antivirus systems."

And there is nothing "Proper" or "Correct" about whether the Security Center is turned ON or turned OFF -- that is a choice that is offered by Microsoft in its design of Windows in just the same way as it offers you the ability to turn on or off other services. For example you can turn Off Windows Image Management if you want to and still scan in Windows if your scanner needs to use TWAIN.

Life is full of choices and I choose to turn off a Feature in Windows because it does not provide me with any benefit. To say this is incorrect or improper is just as misguided as to say that I should not turn off Aero in VISTA.

So just take a deep breath and enjoy safe computing ......

Hugh
Kudos0

Please don't belittle the help I gave her. Her pc is fixed and the security center is fixed.
Kudos0

Thank you all for your help!

Some really good suggestions came from this thread. Lets keep it positive and be happy that we were able to help!

Kudos0

Thank you Tim.................It took me days to figure out years ago what was going on when my security center went amok.
Kudos0

Dieselman743 wrote:
Please don't belittle the help I gave her. Her pc is fixed and the security center is fixed.

If I gave you that impression I really am sorry. It was not my intention.

The point I considered it important to make is that the functioning of Norton Internet Security itself does not depend on what the Security Center reports nor on whether it is turned on or off.

Hugh
Kudos0

Exactly and if you read my replies I even told her she could ignore what the Security Center says aslong as NIS is working fine. But keep mind the Security Center helps out when needed if you antivirus or firewall is not working properly. You get a nice pop up alert and a red shield. So its a piece of mind. It was built into Windows for a reason.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.