• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Activation Problems NIS 2010

I had also the problem to activate Nis 2010. Initially i simply updated my 2009 installation. By activating the product i have got the message: " no response received from symantc server ".

i searched here in the forums and followed the descriptions including the norton removal tool... which also will remove all other norton apps - which u have later on to configure again.

However... nothing helped.

Then i contacted the support which logged on to my computer. The diag was: The problem are the symantec servers and i should try it again in 24 h.

I was sure, that the problem are here on my computer.

If you have also this problem, here is my solution:

use the msconfig trool to disable the Nis2010 service and reboot.

After reboot, terminate all processes which are belonging to Nis2010 including the client console which is starting automatically.

Then open C:\ProgramData\Norton. You will see a directory called 00000082. rename this directory to 00000082.ori.

use msconfig so that all services will be started and reboot.

Open the Nis2010 console. You will get a message, that 0 days are remaining and that u have to activate now!

Past or type in your Produktkey and hit activate.

Now Nis2010 is activated!

It will take 5 Min. to do.

Hope i helped!

Thorsten

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Activation Problems NIS 2010

Hi Thorsten,

thanks for your solution :-)) However, can you please be more specific and explain how to run the msconfig tool and how to terminate the processes belonging to NIS 2010 to those who are not as techie as you? ;-))) Thanks :-D

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 09-14-2009 07:12 PM
Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Hi Yaso,

the problem is, that i have a german version for windows 7 and also Nis2010.. so the problem will be, that the translation may be is not 100% correct... but i try it.

Start msconfig by clicking on the start menu. In the searchbox type msconfig and hit enter.

in msconfig hit on the tab services.

on the bottom you will see a checkbox so that all microsoft services are hidden... check it!

In the Listbox, you will find now a service called "Norton Internet Security". Deselect the checkbox in this line.

Hit the ok Button.

Msconfig is asking you for a reboot, reboot your pc.

After Reboot, start the taskmanager.

Hit on the tab processes.

There are two Processes called ccSvcHst.exe, one process running under the user System and one running under your username. Righ-click on the Process running as System and select terminate processtree.

If the other ccSvcHst.exe is not terminated too, do the same here.

Now you should be able to rename the dir C:\ProgramData\Norton\00000082

After renaming the dir, run again msconfig.exe

In the first screen select "normal Systemstart" if not already selected, hit ok and reboot your system.

After the systemstart call Nis2010 in the systray which will bring up the "you must now activate" screen... follow the steps from my first message.

Kudos0

Super erevo, herzlichen Dank (thanks a lot)  ;-)

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 09-14-2009 08:09 PM
Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos1 Stats

After all the steps i have described above, this morning NIS2010 told me, that it is not activated and i have to activate it.

I have clicked on activate  and NIS2010 told me my remaining days (205).

After a reboot... the same game again... but NIS2010 should be activated permanently!

I then have done a backup of Identity Save and deinstalled NIS2010 with the option to delete all data.

After a reboot, NIS2010 was not running anymore.

I looked to the dir C:\ProgramData\Norton and still the directory 00000082 exists.. so the deinstaller is not deleting all data!

I renamed 00000082 to someting and started a new install.

Then i opened NIS2010 from the systray and the activation started automatically and was again successful.. 

Then i have done a reboot to verify, that NIS2010 is still activated... it is :-)

However, there seems to be still a problem because on the Mainscreen of NIS2010 behind my remaining days of 205 i have a button called "Jetzt schützen" "protect now". If i click on that button i'm transferred to a renewal page. But i have still 205 day's left so i don't want to renew it.

The button should disappear and should show up only if i have 14 days left or so...

I looked to some pictures under Google images and there is no button.. so it seems, that there is still a bug somewhere.. i will contact support and if it is solved, i will post the solution here.

Kudos1 Stats

After a short chat session the support told me, that the bug is known and will be solved within a week via Live-Update. (Hopefully)
Kudos0

Thanks for all the time and trouble you're putting into finding and solving the bug, Thorsten :-) Grossartig ;-D I haven't updated to NIS 2010 as yet, so I'll wait for another week or so (by which time the bug will have been fixed via LiveUpdate, hopefully)  :-D

Yaso :-)

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Hi Yaso,

there is from my point of view no reason to wait.. 2010 is working fine and the additional button is cosmetic... normaly Nis2010 is sitting "hidden" in the systray.

With Nis2009 i had problems in Outlook 2007 and marking mails as Spam was very slow. Beside of this i had trouble with the newest firefox version...

I have not the feeling, that Nis2010 is slowing down the system  and also explorer.exe is starting fast.

I think, if i read here the problems, that they exist sporadic.. as i had the problem with activation.

Simply try it, save your idenity safe and a fallback to 2009 should be no problem. Remember, if u use the removal-app, all other Symantec products must be also installed new... like Ghost.

Good Luck!

Thorsten

Kudos0

Thanks, Thorsten ;-)

I've got NIS...2007...;-D And no other Norton product on my computer. NIS 2007 and 2010 are too far apart in build and age - it's the removal tool method, definitely ;-D

Liebe Grüsse

Yaso :-)

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos1 Stats

As I posted in another thread, I had the same problem with my Vista x64 system--NIS 2010 wouldn't activate after installing over NIS 2009. I tried uninstalling using Remove Programs in Control Panel, using the Norton Removal Tool, and using both. Didn't work. Then I tried the suggestion in this thread, and it worked great. Thanks!

One thing I'd suggest. Instead of trying to stop the Norton services, it may be easier to boot up Vista in safe mode (press F8 repeatedly on boot up), rename the folder, and reboot.

Kudos0

Fine RPerry, that it worked also for you!

Now, some days are gone and NIS2010 remains activated and working... great.

Kudos0

Hallöchen Thorsten,

Just wanted to tell you that your solution is working wonders over here (except that I recommend people to boot into safe mode, as RPerry suggested, instead of terminating the Norton processes one by one)  ;-) It has worked for all posters who have had the NIS 2010 activation problem so far, and credit goes to you for each solution. Thanks again, Thorsten. You rock :-))

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 09-25-2009 11:25 AM
Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos1 Stats

A hotfix for the NIS/NAV 2010 activation problem has been released over here:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=78212

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Thanks Yaso for doing the followup here... marked your message as solution and Kudos

Thorsten

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.