• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Any Problems Updating to v22.9.3.13 on Win XP or Vista?

Has anyone had problems with the update to the latest Norton v22.9.3.13 on a Win XP SP3 or Vista SP2 machine?

I ran a manual LiveUpdate this morning and the update session downloaded 5 updates (~ 29 MB) and then got stuck on the final "Processing Updates" phase without prompting me to Restart Now / Restart Later (I usually see this prompt with a product update since I have a 32-bit Vista SP2 OS).  I waited about one hour and tried cancelling the LiveUpdate session but my system was completely locked - even a Ctrl+Alt+Del wouldn't work and I had to perform a cold re-boot using the power button.

After a few more re-boots my Norton icon finally reappeared in my system tray and Help |  General Information | About shows I have the new v22.9.3.13.  However, my system seems very sluggish and I don't want to waste my time performing a clean reinstall of NS if patching from v22.9.0.71 to v22.9.3.13 is going to cause the same hang.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.1 * NS Premium v22.9.3.13 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Any Problems Updating to v22.9.3.13 on Win XP or Vista?

I can now add an APPCRASH (Stopped Working) by NSBU.exe caused by module C:\Program Files\Norton Security with Backup\Engine\22.9.3.13\ucrtbase.dll (Microsoft C Runtime Library) that occurred while I was trying to view the Performance Graph in my Norton GUI.  See the attached .txt file for full details.

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Application Name:          NSBU.exe
Application Version:       14.1.1.9
Application Timestamp:  5910d3c2
Fault Module Name:        ucrtbase.dll
Fault Module Version:    10.0.14393.33

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.1 * NS Premium v22.9.3.13 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Happens to me as well, except that I use Windows 10
Kudos0

I've encountered another NSBU.exe error after opening my Norton GUI.  This time it was an AppHangXProcB1 (Stopped responding and was closed) while I was trying to view the details of a Download Insight entry in my security history.  This time I was able to recover by killing the process from Task Manger without having to cold boot my system.

Problem Event Name:    AppHangXProcB1
Application Name:          NSBU.exe
Application Version:       14.1.1.9
Application Timestamp: 5910d3c2
Hang Signature:              db5b
Hang Type:                       2176
Waiting on Application Name:    nsbu.exe
Waiting on Application Version: 0.0.0.0

------------

Kudos0

Sad that this should happen. I hope they solve these issues asap
Kudos0

... and then another freeze of my system this morning after my first Automatic LiveUpdate of the day successfully installed multiple updates (including SDS Definitions and SONAR Update x86).  I had to perform another cold re-boot using my power button to unlock my system.

So it looks like I'll be forced to perform yet another clean re-install by uninstalling NS from the Control Panel and then running a wipe with the NRnR Tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode.  This is getting really tiresome to have to go through this nonsense every time a product update delivered via LiveUpdate corrupts my Norton installation.
------------

Kudos0

More issues to report, this time an intermittent problem with Norton Insight.

I encountered an Unproven warning from Download Insight yesterday while trying to download an installer for the VLC Media Player (i.e., URL Not Available, Developers Not Available, Version Not Available, File Thumbprint-SHA Not Available, etc.).  Other users have reported seeing the same Unproven reputation warnings since updating to v22.9.3.13 - see Zatch's new thread pepflashplayer.dll "unproven" - Really? for one example.

------------

Kudos1 Stats

Maybe someone from Symantec can investigate. @lmacri

@matt_phillips

Can you help ?

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

Hi F 4 E:

Thanks for contacting Matt, but I don't think there's much he can do at this point.  My system was so unstable that I had to uninstall and wipe NS v22.9.3.13 off my computer yesterday using the NRnR tool in "Remove Only" mode.  I did an extra manual scrub using instructions provided by Norton Customer Support (e.g., manually deleting orphaned registry and file remnants like C:\ProgramData\Norton, etc.) so there probably aren't any log or dump files I could submit for analysis, unless Symantec wants to look at the Windows application crash reports.

As far as I can tell, these corruptions keep occurring on my 32-bit system because Norton product updates are typically released as multi-part updates that are delivered in stages.  If LiveUpdate delivers components in the incorrect order or fails to correctly install the first part of the update (which appears to be what happened to me per my original post) then there doesn't seem a proper mechanism in place to ensure the problem update is rolled back and re-installed before the second part is delivered.

The problem is likely exacerbated by the fact that I have a 32-bit Vista SP2 machine, and older operating systems like XP and Vista must be re-booted in order to correctly apply these product updates.
------------

Kudos1 Stats

FYI. the 22.9.3.13 update required a restart on ALL OSs.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

peterweb:

FYI. the 22.9.3.13 update required a restart on ALL OSs.

Further to peterweb's comment, could someone please explain how the Apply Updates Only on Reboot setting (Settings | Antivirus | Updates | Apply Updates Only on Reboot) is supposed to work with Norton v22.x on XP and Vista computers.

My understanding is that LiveUpdate should auto-detect Win XP SP3 and Vista SP2 operating systems and always present these users with a Restart Now / Restart Later prompt after a  product update (e.g., a scan engine update that changes the product version number).  That's the way it always worked with NIS v21.x on my system.

According to the support article Updates this Apply Updates Only on Reboot option is only available for Win 7 and higher.  When set to the default OFF these updates can be applied instantly and users will see an Apply Now / Apply Later prompt.  When set to ON these updates will be only be applied after a reboot and users will see a Reboot Now / Reboot Later prompt.

Is this setting always ignored on XP and Vista computers with Norton v22.x, or is it possible that the reason that successive v22.x product updates seem to constantly corrupt my installation has something to do with the fact that that the Apply Updates Only on Reboot setting on my Vista SP2 computer is not greyed out (disabled) and is set to the default OFF?  I'm still not sure why I failed to see a Restart Now / Restart Later prompt (which apparently corrupted my installation) before Help | General Information | About showed that I had been updated to v22.9.3.13.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.2 * NS Premium v22.9.3.13 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

floplot:

Please see Mohan's Announcement.
https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-2293-product-update-available-now

Hi floplot:

I've read Mohan's announcement and I don't think there's anything there that addresses my concerns.  If you're referring to his 18-May-2017 edit "You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version", peterweb already pointed out <here> that a reboot is required for all operating systems for the v22.9.3.13 update.

That doesn't help if your LiveUpdate won't run to completion and/or you can't launch Norton from your system tray or Start menu to even attempt another LiveUpdate (see my original post). That particular problem is a moot point since I already uninstalled, wiped and reinstalled v22.9.3.13 on 16-May-2017, but I'd still like to know how Settings | Antivirus | Updates | Apply Updates Only on Reboot works on Win XP and Vista machines since the support article Updates only refers to Win 7 and higher.  Should I be concerned that this setting is set to OFF by default on my Vista SP2 machine?
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.2 * NS Premium v22.9.3.13 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Hello lmacri

You can change that setting to YES because since you are Vista, you have to restart after a Product Update. I have my Win 7 Pro set to YES because I prefer to restart and shut down any open programs I may have. Besides it helps the update to settle in.. When there is a Apply Now or Apply Later, I will pick Apply Later so I can close up my programs.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

floplot:

You can change that setting to YES because since you are Vista, you have to restart after a Product Update.  I have my Win 7 Pro set to YES....

Hi floplot:

I know I can, but the support articles Updates and Turn on or turn off Apply updates only on reboot both say:

I'm relatively new to NS v22.x so bear with me. If Vista SP2 machines always require a system restart to correctly apply product updates then why isn't my Settings | Antivirus | Updates | Apply Updates Only on Reboot automatically set to ON and then disabled (greyed out) so I can't change it?  Does it even matter if this setting is OFF or ON on my Vista SP2 machine?

Is it possible that these multi-part updates like v22.9.3.13 constantly corrupt my Norton installation because the update package sometimes fails to auto-detect my Vista SP2 OS and prompt me to Restart Now / Restart Later before the second part of the update is delivered?
------------

Kudos0

Hello lmacri

Whether the Setting says to Restart or Apply Now or Later, I will choose to Apply or Restart Later after I have shut down my other programs at a convenient time for me. I have tried to Apply Now, but then they tell you what programs you have to exit.

I have the choice, but I still will restart later regardless of the Setting. Norton probably won't determine what operating system your are running since they have the same version of the update regardless of the operating system. Since you are Vista, you have to restart later. I, on the other hand, choose to start later. No need to grey out the setting since the Announcement is telling you have to restart.. I suppose those who don't come to the Forum won't know about Vista having to restart.

I don't know why you have issues  with your system when you have to update I can only go by my experience when can be different for every computer.

Perhaps it has something to do with you adding your new key to y our old subscription every time instead of the other way around. Most will install the new version and then install the new key and have the leftover days added back in rather than having the new days added to a old key and destroying the new key. The keys are different every year for a reason. The key determines now what programs you can renew now with it.

It is always better to use the new key and have the old, leftover days added back in. If you buy a key on sale, then just save they key until a day or 2 before your sub expires. The way you keep the old key and have the new key destroyed might have something to do with your issues. I'm not a Symantec Employee nor do I have contact with that Team to know for sure. It's just a guess on my part as  to the reason why  yo u have issues ever6 time.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I had specifically asked for feedback from Win XP SP3 and Vista SP2 about whether they had any problems with the v22.9.3 product update.  That's a moot point now since the update for v22.9.4 started rolling out yesterday, so it's time for me to step away from this thread.

Symantec has excluded Win XP SP3 and Vista SP2 users from the Norton EAP beta testing program so that's a clear message to me that users with these older operating systems should no longer expect any meaningful support for our Norton product if we run into problems.

Just a parting note that after two LiveUpdate failures yesterday ("Unable to connect to the Norton LiveUpdate server.  Please check your Internet connection") and a system freeze that forced me to perform a cold reboot after my system went into idle mode, the first part of the update (ENGINE, NSBU, INSTALLDIR / MUI, NSBU, MUIDIR) was delivered to my system yesterday at 1:37 PM.  Reboot Required was No for that update so I have no idea if changing my Settings | Antivirus | Updates | Apply Updates Only on Reboot to ON has made any difference on my Vista SP2 machine, but after multiple LiveUpdates and manual system restarts Help | About shows I'm still at v22.9.3.13 so I'll just have to be patient and see if I'm ever updated to v22.9.4.8.

------------

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.