• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

$$$ Auto Renew 3.0/3.8 vs new purchase of 4.0 ???

I just got the notice for renewal and in my case auto renewal for my 3.0, now 3.8 something for $69.95.  I see version 4.0/4.2 is now available from Norton site at $40.00.  WHY is Symantec charging me, a loyal returning customer, this outrageous renewal charge when I can get from them, none-the-less, a later version for a lot less money???  This is quite irritating to discover this overcharging.  Renewals should get special treatment and special rates.  Otherwise, I understand why so many post on forums that they are discontinuing the use of Norton products for something else.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: $$$ Auto Renew 3.0/3.8 vs new purchase of 4.0 ???

I just got the notice for renewal and in my case auto renewal for my 3.0, now 3.8 something for $69.95.  I see version 4.0/4.2 is now available from Norton site at $40.00.  WHY is Symantec charging me, a loyal returning customer, this outrageous renewal charge when I can get from them, none-the-less, a later version for a lot less money???  This is quite irritating to discover this overcharging.  Renewals should get special treatment and special rates.  Otherwise, I understand why so many post on forums that they are discontinuing the use of Norton products for something else.

Kudos0

Hello kmikesr

Welcome to the Norton Forums

You can purchase any version of N360 as long as you stick to the standard version if you are using that one now or stick to the premier version if you are using that now and use the new product key for your renewal. You can purchase the product any where and just enter the new key the day before it expires. You are entitled to update to version 4 for free if you have a current license now.

If you want to update to version 4 now, please let us know and we can give you the links for it. Thanks

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903 Norton Core Security Plus 22.20.2.57 Core Firmware 302 Android App 2.23 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

kmikesr wrote:

I just got the notice for renewal and in my case auto renewal for my 3.0, now 3.8 something for $69.95.  I see version 4.0/4.2 is now available from Norton site at $40.00.

Can you please post us a link? In the Norton Store I see a new Norton 360 license for $79.99.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=n360v4lp&inid=us_hho_homepage_hero_n360v4

http://buy.norton.com/estore/mf/category/categoryCode/All_In_One_Security_Sub_Category/

Windows 10 Hungarian, Norton Internet Security v22.9.0.71
Kudos0

Hi kmikesr,

Welcome to the Norton Community.

Just to clarify, NAV (Norton Anti-virus), NIS (Norton Internet Security) and N360 are subscription based products. When your subscription is current you are always entitled to the latest version for free - there is no additional charge for this because you are not paying for the program but instead paying for a subscription for a specified period of time.

Symantec charges a certain price for a subscription renewal. But you are always free to shop around and look for a better deal elsewhere. If you find a better deal you can purchase the new subscription from a different vendor and use the product key from that purchase to renew your N360 subscription with Symantec.

The only thing to be cautious of is that when you purchase an N360 subscription from another vendor and use a different product key from what you currently have, it restarts your subscription period, whereas when you purchase a subscription renewal with Symantec (using the same product key) the new subscription period gets automatically added on to whatever you had before.

For this reason we normally recommend that if you purchase the subscription from a different vendor (new product key) then wait until the last few days of your current subscription before entering that new product key so you won't lose a bunch of days.

However, if you do lose subscription days due to use of a different product key you can always contact Customer Service and they are very good about adding the lost days back on to your subscription.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

You wonder where the link is? Why? So you can have Norton remove it? I found it easily enough and I won't post it for fear of losing a lower price. My questions were not answered. Here in this forum I am told that I am entitled to the latest version free update. Then why doesn't my auto-update messages say so??? And I am told I am entitled to upgrade at any time by purchasing another "subscription" from any other vendors. WHY OH WHY can I get another version upgrade for LESS MONEY from another vendor? Symantec isn't being forthright on this issue! Taking advantage of those that come directly to their site and being ripped off for more money for the same product. This is BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES. THIS IS STEALING. COME ON SYMANTEC! GET RIGHT WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS, THE ONES WHO HAVE BEEN RETURNING AND FAITHFUL TO YOUR PRODUCTS! So WHY WOULD I WANT TO GET MY FREE 4.0 JUST BEFORE MY YEARLY SUBSCRIPTION EXPIRES, JUST TO PAY $69.95 OR MORE FOR RENEWAL, WHEN IF I WAIT A FEW WEEKS I WILL GET 4.0 FOR A WHOLE YEAR FOR $40.00??? SYMANTEC - FIX IT! IT SHOULD NOT BE MARKETED THIS WAY! YEH, THE CUSTOMER HAS THEIR CHOICE (ONLY IF THEY SEARCH AND BECOME EDUCATED OF ALL THE UNFAIR OPTIONS), YOU GET YOUR BUCKS, BUT YOU ARE RIPPING OFF MUCHO CUSTOMERS! GET RESPECTABLE! (or is this unfashionable in our present corrupt society?)
Kudos0

I'm really sorry about your bad experience... :(

kmikesr wrote:
You wonder where the link is? Why? So you can have Norton remove it? I found it easily enough and I won't post it for fear of losing a lower price.

I asked the link from you because we hear that other stores (like eBay, Amazon, or local ones) set a lower value on Norton product, but in the Norton Store is not so often. Sometimes they give the products a lower prize for a little time as a devaluation, but it happens not so often. What you see I think that you caught a period, where they lowered the prize for a little time, as normally a new 360 license is for $79.99.

And if you would post us the link, we (me and other helpers here at the forum) could suggest that site to other users who are thinking about renewal as well.

And please do not think that we here will report anything to Symantec staff about prizing. Renewal prize is kind of stationary, but the normal license's prize is very very variable in different stores. We always recommend every user that if you see the products for a lower prize, don't hesitate, just buy it.

What's the difference between the Renewal and New license (besides the prize) is that renewal codes can be activated without loosing subscription days from the previous activation, but new ones can be only activated after your previous one has expires, unless you loose days from your previous subscription.

My questions were not answered. Here in this forum I am told that I am entitled to the latest version free update. Then why doesn't my auto-update messages say so???

During your subscription time if a newer version come out, you can go to the Norton Update Center (www.norton.com/nuc) and get the latest version from there. It's fully free until your subscription is valid.

The auto-update message -I think you mean an email message  what was sent to you because your subscription is coming to expire- is for a different purpose. It is designed to notify the user that his/her subscription will be expire soon, and it's time for a renew. Here of course actual lower prize offers can be sent as well, as it seems in your situation it had happened.

For the version upgrade notification(s), what previously was not sent, Symantec is testing a new method (we tried it in the Norton 2011 beta program, it will be a good system for the users), what will be used only after the 2011 products are released.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to take them, we will be happy to help you. :)

Windows 10 Hungarian, Norton Internet Security v22.9.0.71
Kudos0

Hi kmikesr,

The people who have responded to you in this thread are not Symantec employees. Employees can always be readily identified because their names are in red.

Secondly as PapauZ has said, these email notices you refer to are notifying you that a subscription is about to expire. Renewing a subscription is not free naturally. As with most things in life you can get different prices by shopping around. It is not uncommon at all for 3rd party vendors to have lower prices available than you can get from the manufacturer at any given time. This is NOT unique to Symantec by any stretch.

I reiterate that when your subscription is current (e.g., not expired) then you are always entitled to the latest version of the same software for free.

You need only do a few searches on the forums here to see for yourself that this is true.

Allow me to provide an example. Say you have 30 days left on your current subscription. You go to the Norton Update Center and update to the latest version. This update is free and you now have the latest version with 30 days still left on your subscription. The software will continue to work until this 30 days is up. Some time before it expires you renew your subscription either with Symantec or through another vendor - you pay for the subscription renewal. Now you have the latest version and your days remaining on your subscription updates accordingly.

Subscriptions are not tied to specific versions of the software at all so you can always update to the latest version of the same software without charge. This is independant of the subscription itself.

Hope this helps clarify a bit more.

Best wishes.

Allen

P.S. You might want to take a look at the following (look at the bottom of the page)

http://www.symantec.com/norton/360

At the bottom it says:

This renewable service includes protection updates and new product features as available throughout the service period, subject to acceptance of the Symantec License Agreement included with this product and available for review at www.symantec.com. Product features may be added, modified, or removed during the service period.

[Emphasis added by me]

What this means is that you are always entitled to free updates to the software during your subscription period.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

There are also better prices here under upgrades and renewals that probably reflect a discount for users.  It shows $59.99 for the standard version.

Upgrades and renewals

Unfortunately there is a glitch on the site in that if you click on the picture showing the price of $59.99 that is what comes up.  If, however you go through the process of choosing your product and then your version, it takes you to a page where the price is now $69.99.

Symantec needs to simplify their site so that  prices are not in six different places with six different links and cause this sort of confusion.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.