• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Backup from external hard drive, created with NSS 21.7.0.11

(This is a second try, my first post has not appeared anywhere)

My mother's Windows 8.1 computer continues to warn of a hard disk failure. I have backed everything up on an external hard drive with Norton Security Suite 22.7.0.11 (back up settings - configure). My most important question is if I replace her internal hard drive (C:) how do I restore her OS and files from the external back up?

I ran command prompt (admin) CHKDSK which found no problems. I also did C: drive > properties > error checking - which also did not detect any problems. The disc failure message continues to appear. I am going to run Sea Tools for Windows later today and depending on the result might also run HDtune.com which has some repair features.

Any suggestions are welcome and especially instructions on using Norton back up (from the external hard drive) to restore her computer after replacing the internal hard drive.

I am fully capable of doing a complete restore on her computer and did create recovery media when her computer was new, I do not believe this will help with a drive failure problem.

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Re: Backup from external hard drive, created with NSS 21.7.0.11

Hi next_in_line,

Just to verify - are your referring to Comcast's Norton Security Suite version 21.7.0.11?  If so, the backup function of that program can not do a full disk image, it can not backup the OS.  Basically, it will backup photos, documents and music - your personal items, but it can not do a full disk image.

I am not a Win 8 user, but Win 7 does have a full image backup program included and I would think so does Win 8.  Someone on Win 8 can provide more guidance and there are also many retail backup programs available that can do the full image.

Kudos0

Thanks The external hard drive came with a preloaded program called NTI Backup Now EZ which says it does backup the OS. I just thought I might trust Norton first.

Kudos0

Thanks Yank,

If anyone else reads this thread, here is a good link on how to create a SYSTEM IMAGE using Windows 8 or 8.1

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8956-system-image-create-windows-8-a.html

Kudos0

TYVM next_in_line for the link regarding creating a System Image in Win 8 - may come in handy for us non Win 8 users when trying to assist others.

Kudos0

Hi yank,

Well Mom's hard drive is still working. "Sea Tools for Windows" gave it a clean bill of health. Sea Tools takes a long time to run, I recently found "Crystal Disk Info" which runs in a very short period of time. It is a Japanese program and the download can be hard to find, here is a link to a clean download source.

http://downloads.tomsguide.com/CrystalDiskInfo,0301-25941.html

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.